Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Yep, no issues there.

I'd hold off on buying a+ until you have the phone you want. Don't buy A+ until you are satisfied w your phone. You have like 30 days or something.

60 days to add AppleCare Plus from the date of purchase.

Waziti

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
I’ve noticed an UNEVEN tint on my max. It’s definetly pinker towards the notch, from all angles in all lighting.
Yeah that’s how mine was and I replaced it today and have the same result. Kinda a bummer.
[doublepost=1538101874][/doublepost]
The workers in the Apple store know nothing or are taught to all but deny any claims of variance. I'm considering going back to my X. Can at&t reinstate next on that phone?
Dude I’m about to go to an X. I came from an 8 plus and have the yellow tint problem. Exchanged my XS Max today for another one and it looks basically the same. And the apple people looked at me like I was retarded when I showed them the tint and how it looks.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyMacintosh

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
Meh! I just picked up another Max...maybe should've given it more time. It's only MARGINALLY better but really...not by much. It's still warmer than I prefer/warmer than my X. I will say it looks better when I throw the color filter on it than the old one did but still. I don't want to "have" to use the filter overlays!

I think I'll return the original and keep this one though. At least then that gives me another 2 weeks to return. I'll try to be more patient this time and wait the full 2 weeks haha.

FWIW...which I really don't think much...my original launch day iPhone was FK for serial #. New one I picked up tonight was F2

Eli38

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2018
The whole problem with this thread is that its assuming that everyone's vision is the exact same. I see there are people who are posting "I have a pure white one with no color shift." This then leads people to believe that a phone like this exists (which it doesn't, because OLED).

But I would be money that if the people who had the phone showed it to 10 different people in this thread that many of them would say there is a color shift, while some would say there isn't. The hunt for this perfect screen is ridiculous.

You know what, I'm a photographer and pay high attention to colors but knew nothing about OLED technology, therefore I started to Google why my screen has a blue shift. Read some reviews and assumed that it is a defect. Went to Apple store today and compared my phone to other 10 random display models and they looked exactly the same as mine. Therefore I would say that there is nothing wrong with OLED being blueish if viewed at an angle.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
You know what, I'm a photographer and pay high attention to colors but knew nothing about OLED technology, therefore I started to Google why my screen has a blue shift. Read some reviews and assumed that it is a defect. Went to Apple store today and compared my phone to other 10 random display models and they looked exactly the same as mine. Therefore I would say that there is nothing wrong with OLED being blueish if viewed at an angle.
Does your phone have a off white tint to it when looking straight on. No angle?

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
The blue is stated as normal by Apple. The intermediate pink shift on some is the issue. I might just let the whole thing go rather than quest after something perfect in an inherently imperfect product.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
I have no yellow tint on mine with true tone turned off. However I find true tone more aggressive on my XS compared to my iPhone 8.

Coming from the X I see the same thing. True Tone is just pushing it farther into the yellow tone. They look similar with True Tone off.

Wonder if they’ll make an adjustment in the first iOS update for these phones.

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
My XS Max also is more yellow at the notch than down below. I notice it especially at night while night shift is on and on landscape mode.

Its a bummer. But I am too tired doing something against it. I have better things to do... and I think I could be the same with my new swapped phone. Anyone with proof (picture) that their screens have somewhat even color?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
He/She just posted another updated picture showing night shift and true tone off. The fact that there are still people here that think its just 31 pages of us lying is just- I can't lol.
No not at all. Simply shocked. I am going to the Apple store to recomposes my XsMAX

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
My serial # starts with F2

I have 2 one starts with C3 and one DN... Both 256 gb XS good or bad?
[doublepost=1538131027][/doublepost]WTF is this mean:

I have a launch day XS that has slight yellow tint, That came from China Foxcom facility directly to me. I ordered another to compare screen quality to make decision on which is better, This unit, that I get Saturday is shipping from Carlisle PA. I looked it up and thats a plant where they refurbish units! Am I getting a returned unit that possible the plant said was ok and just reboxed? This is really concerning. I am leaning toward just keeping my original unit. The serial numbers of both indicate my first unit from China has a newer build date than the one from Carlisle,

Is this possible Apple is now shipping returns they think are good as new units?

CC

Last edited:

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Yeah that’s how mine was and I replaced it today and have the same result. Kinda a bummer.

That's how mine is too. I hate gradients like this and then view things like emails in landscape where it shows up most noticeably. It still betters my first phone which had both left/right and top/down gradients, and when tilting the sides went different colors! But I still classify this display as "quite crap"! Yellowness can change over time but gradients rarely improve.

People do perceive the gradients in different ways. In my office most see it has the top being darker rather than a different hue, but my meter suggests luminance uniformity is pretty good and what varies is what I see, color uniformity issues.

Cancelled
Jun 20, 2017
At first I saw that my XS Max was a lot more "yellowish" than my former 8 Plus. Day three and its strangely now more blue-ish than the 8 Plus. True Tone is off on both. Generally the XS Max is on the warmer side but only in comparison. On its own the screen is fantastic. I just switched the color filters back off and forgot about it.

Only thing I'm noticing is that the screen is a lot dimmer and darker than LCD. Is that an OLED "thing"?

leo8877

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Coming from the X I see the same thing. True Tone is just pushing it farther into the yellow tone. They look similar with True Tone off.

Wonder if they’ll make an adjustment in the first iOS update for these phones.

I’m seeing this as well. It’s like True Tone is working double time. Wish there was a True Tone slider like night shift.

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
My XS Max also is more yellow at the notch than down below. I notice it especially at night while night shift is on and on landscape mode.

Its a bummer. But I am too tired doing something against it. I have better things to do... and I think I could be the same with my new swapped phone. Anyone with proof (picture) that their screens have somewhat even color?
Every single X, XS, and XS Max I've seen had this "problem." I have yet to see one, even in the stores, that doesn't. I don't know how this is acceptable to Apple..

mydogeatsbeats

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Every single X, XS, and XS Max I've seen had this "problem." I have yet to see one, even in the stores, that doesn't. I don't know how this is acceptable to Apple..
Thank you ! A reason more just to chill , I always buy a new phone every year. So could be worse ;)

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Finally got a ‘good’ one. A gold XS Max (not my first colour choice, but I’ll put a case on it). Perfectly uniform, a little warmer than I would prefer - having said this, I do believe the calibration is in line with the display mate review. Has minimal blue off-axis shift. I’m done.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Finally got a ‘good’ one. A gold XS Max (not my first colour choice, but I’ll put a case on it). Perfectly uniform, a little warmer than I would prefer - having said this, I do believe the calibration is in line with the display mate review. Has minimal blue off-axis shift. I’m done.

When you say perfectly uniform, are you testing on the 5% grey screen?

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012

That's how my current one is. Better than the last but def still has this warm/yellow issue. Idk what do do anymore.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
When you say perfectly uniform, are you testing on the 5% grey screen?
Yes. I’m a veteran at this. Only took me four handsets this year.
[doublepost=1538150351][/doublepost]
That's how my current one is. Better than the last but def still has this warm/yellow issue. Idk what do do anymore.

If your not happy, then you shouldn’t keep the phone - only you can decide. I was originally just going to stick with my X as it was perfect, but I had it replaced yesterday under warranty (for call quality issues) and the replacement has an inferior screen to my original X so I’ve decided to sell the X and then picked up my current XS Max this afternoon.

I’m keeping my current XS Max, because my screen is absolutely uniform with minimal off-axis shifting (and I can be a pedantic b***h when it comes to my screens).

michial

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
They are oled screens. With trutone on and depending on viewing angles the screen will get blue or yellowish tint. But at the normal viewing angles it isn’t there. Even when it is it’s no big deal at all. I’ll take oled from now on. This is my first oled and I love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.