Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So I finally went to the Apple store and picked up a second XS Max for comparison. The new one I got is not quite as bright but it’s still warm. It seems to be I warmer a bit more evenly (my first one is warmer at the top) but the new one has WAY more blue shift. Laying the phones flat side my side and looking at them it’s like night and day. My original phone goes a cooler laid flat but the new one is completely blue, no pure white.

I’m not sure what to do because both displays have their own issues. Yes the new display might be more even, but it’s more evenly yellow, not as bright and has more blue shift. I don’t really think that’s an improvement.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
So I finally went to the Apple store and picked up a second XS Max for comparison. The new one I got is not quite as bright but it’s still warm. It seems to be I warmer a bit more evenly (my first one is warmer at the top) but the new one has WAY more blue shift. Laying the phones flat side my side and looking at them it’s like night and day. My original phone goes a cooler laid flat but the new one is completely blue, no pure white.

I’m not sure what to do because both displays have their own issues. Yes the new display might be more even, but it’s more evenly yellow, not as bright and has more blue shift. I don’t really think that’s an improvement.

That's the problem here. It wouldn't matter if it was colder or warmer or more blueish or yellowing as long as it as the same on all units. The fact that there is so much variance it means Apple has lost control on this one.

Reactions: MVallee

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
If I buy a second phone outright, without returning the first, can I then activate my AT&T Next account on the second phone if I like it better? Or does that all have to be done at once?

Must be done at time of purchase

Reactions: davec25

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My Max is an F2 and the screen is blue/white with True Tone off and nice with it on. I’m sure it’s “adapted” over the week as it’s not as harshly yellow as it was.

I also have colour shift when I view off-axis, but it doesn’t bother me as it’s a 6.5” phone and not a 65” TV so I’m normally right in front of it.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
My Max is an F2 and the screen is blue/white with True Tone off and nice with it on. I’m sure it’s “adapted” over the week as it’s not as harshly yellow as it was.

I also have colour shift when I view off-axis, but it doesn’t bother me as it’s a 6.5” phone and not a 65” TV so I’m normally right in front of it.
My F2 is on point as well

Reactions: MrGimper

sactownbwoy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2008
Does anyone have a well-performing new phone without obtrusive tints and / or color shifts? I guess those folks probably aren't on this thread.

I just got mine yesterday and it looks good to me, but I also don't have normal color vision so there is a chance mine is bad and I just can't see it! haha

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
^ this is all I want. The in between pink shift makes the multiple shifts too frequent, every time I slightly move my phone it is a different color. I'm just nervous that if I exchange it I will get a less desirable screen.
This is what I think is happening with my first one. It shifts pink and then shifts blue from there. The new one shifts blue immediately and then just keeps getting more blue the more the angle increases. By the time is laid flat the first one is not nearly as blue, which also makes it look brighter. I think the one that shifts blue is more noticeable and more distracting just because of how blue it gets. It’s almost like when you look at your phone with 3D glasses on at a movie theatre.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
XS on left, X on right. Woof!

True Tone is off on both displays. The new XS has had several days to break in. I'll exchange this one tomorrow and see if we can't do a bit better...

IMG_0008.jpg

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
This is what I think is happening with my first one. It shifts pink and then shifts blue from there. The new one shifts blue immediately and then just keeps getting more blue the more the angle increases. By the time is laid flat the first one is not nearly as blue, which also makes it look brighter. I think the one that shifts blue is more noticeable and more distracting just because of how blue it gets. It’s almost like when you look at your phone with 3D glasses on at a movie theatre.

Interesting, so the one that shifts only one color winds up being more distracting. For me, the slight angle with which I hold my phone invariably produces a pink hue. If it shifted with a slightly more extreme angle, it wouldn't even matter to me. But based on your report, maybe I'm better off just keeping it.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

True Tone is off on both displays. The new XS has had several days to break in. I'll exchange this one tomorrow and see if we can't do a bit better...

That is truly awful. Return that POS. Don't exchange, if you get another bad one you'll need to keep exchanging and can't return.

Blue shift is far less distracting to me then slight pink and then blue shift. I don't care if the screen is duller. Unless the blue shift is insanely bad, I'd keep that one. I can't stand pink filth.

Reactions: Tibits and davec25

Waziti

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
I swapped mine today for this issue, and notice a little bit of difference which is good. But seems to still slightly be there. Oh well. I’m done stressing over it.

Reactions: Harthag

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

View attachment 789735

Absolute trash!!! Return that POS!!

Wait 6 weeks for the good screens.
[doublepost=1538079735][/doublepost]
I swapped mine today for this issue, and notice a little bit of difference which is good. But seems to still slightly be there. Oh well. I’m done stressing over it.

Return it an rebuy in 6 weeks!!

Reactions: Harthag and Tibits

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Blue shift is far less distracting to me then slight pink and then blue shift. I don't care if the screen is duller. Unless the blue shift is insanely bad, I'd keep that one. I can't stand pink filth.

Yeah. Theoretically, blue is the only color it should shift to according to Apple, right? Unfortunately that's just not the case. Most of the sample phones I looked at yesterday had the pink > blue shift. I guess it is what it is at some point.

I checked my X and it didn't shift until a greater angle and I never noticed in over the year I had it.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
In terms of yellow though, mine isn't so bad. But a subtle pink.

Attachments

• D0812DC6-E061-45D2-97E4-B1E6CED3C0E8.jpeg
    D0812DC6-E061-45D2-97E4-B1E6CED3C0E8.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 212

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018

View attachment 789735
I just put my screen next to yours. Mine is definitely whiter. Guess I got lucky lol
[doublepost=1538080709][/doublepost]Mine is definitely whiter..yessssssssss

Attachments

• 02505953-DA4F-49E8-B9B9-FDD65D4A58C9.jpeg
    02505953-DA4F-49E8-B9B9-FDD65D4A58C9.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 383
  • B99B30C0-4E38-4C8E-B8DC-EDCB83FD488D.jpeg
    B99B30C0-4E38-4C8E-B8DC-EDCB83FD488D.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 361

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Question-- if I do exchange my phone, does the 14 day window reset on the new device?
Do not exchange if at all possible. You will be stuck in the exchange cycle and can never return it, and have to deal with genius support. Who will tell you pink or yellow filth is normal or they don't see it. We all got these phones a week ago and are well within the return window. No one posting here should be exchanging them yet. Return and re-buy.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Interesting, so the one that shifts only one color winds up being more distracting. For me, the slight angle with which I hold my phone invariably produces a pink hue. If it shifted with a slightly more extreme angle, it wouldn't even matter to me. But based on your report, maybe I'm better off just keeping it.
It’s probably a bit of a personal preference. They both started shifting colours at about the same angle, but because the first one goes a little bit pink first it doesn’t end up getting nearly as blue. I ended up returning the blue one and getting a 3rd one. I only briefly checked it and so far the blue shift doesn’t look too bad. It’s still not as bright as my first one and I’m wondering if I needs time to break in/warm up. I have enough room on my credit card for both of them and I’m sick of being in the mall so I’m going to take it home and do some more testing there before I decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.