Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
I am telling them my screen isn't yellow but they are saying my eyes adjusted lol. I guess they want everyone to see what they are seeing even if you don't see it

This thread and all the "f2" and "oh it's this serial number!" type of replies have allowed me to laugh throughout my work day lol

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
Congrats on your phone no longer being yellow.

My LCD iphone 8 plus looks better though. XS MAx has a more cooler side while my 8 plus is just accurate.
[doublepost=1538001438][/doublepost]
My grays were a little light compared to the Apple display phones

They are display phones that have maximum brightness and they were on since friday. You can't compare your phone to them

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Here is an F2 vs an FF. I don't really see a difference here but maybe someone else does. Both are at full brightness and both have true tone turned off with no display modifications. These and the display models at the store (which were F2, FF, and FK, all looked like this).

The only difference is there is a film screen protector over the F2, which in theory should make it look worse but I still think it looks the exact same as the FF. Either that or this thread has driven me insane and I can't see colors anymore.

View attachment 789232

I think text looks crisper on right

And it seems a little less bright but also less warm

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I've been wanting to stay out of this thread, as this issue tends to be pretty contentious. But not a lot of people are posting pictures of their issues, so here's mine.

I've seen a lot of variation in OLED displays, especially on the iPhone X. Some will shift red off axis, others blue and to varying degrees. The native color temp can vary a lot. Some come warmer, which is why we're seeing complain about yellow displays.

My iphone X actually was on the warm end and shifted subtly to red/pink off-axis. But my XS Max has a very warm (yellow) white point and the shift to red is really dramatic compared to my X. You can see the side by side in my picture.

I don't think people in this thread are crazy or making up the issue. It is annoying when white backgrounds turn red when you tilt the phone even a tiny bit. It lowers contrast and reduces readability. There's a pretty big difference in readability of text on my XS Max vs my X.

And while i don't believe serial numbers dictate quality, I will mention that my XS Max serial starts with F2. :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 5.38.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 5.38.45 PM.png
    974.3 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
My grays were a little light compared to the Apple display phones

My greys were slightly off on my Samsung Note 5 back in the day. I checked the serial number online and upon intensive research I found out that it was produced in a South Korean factory that had direct involvement in making those types of displays. I was in shock and disgust. My brand new top of the line Note 5 was nothing but a heaping pile of trash in eyes. I reported it to Samsung and they did two things: 1) awarded me $257.59 for finding this flaw in their phones and 2) obviously I got a new phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Yes I see a very minimal difference. Is it enough to call it a "piss yellow" display? Absolutely not. Is it even worthy of returning? I don't think so. But people are obviously going to go hunting for an elusive perfectly white screen that they are never going to find.
Well you know what's best for other people.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
I've been wanting to stay out of this thread, as this issue tends to be pretty contentious. But not a lot of people are posting pictures of their issues, so here's mine.

I've seen a lot of variation in OLED displays, especially on the iPhone X. Some will shift red off axis, others blue and to varying degrees. The native color temp can vary a lot. Some come warmer, which is why we're seeing complain about yellow displays.

My iphone X actually was on the warm end and shifted subtly to red/pink off-axis. But my XS Max has a very warm (yellow) white point and the shift to red is really dramatic compared to my X. You can see the side by side in my picture.

I don't think people in this thread are crazy or making up the issue. It is annoying when white backgrounds turn red when you tilt the phone even a tiny bit. It lowers contrast and reduces readability. There's a pretty big difference in readability of text on my XS Max vs my X.

And while i don't believe serial numbers dictate quality, I will mention that my XS Max serial starts with F2. :p
One on left looks like it has Night shift and True Tone On. One on right looks like It’s has both Night shift and True Tone Off.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
so i went in to exchange my XS due to the pink tint that resulted from a minor angle shift, but when I compared my phone to at least 6 different demo models, mine was *considerably* brighter and whiter than each one. The amount of pink tint that resulted from angle shifts varied from phone to phone, some more than mine and some less, but each one was noticeably duller and less white than mine. I only found one XS demo that remained consistently dull white until it shifted to blue with a greater angle tint, skipping the pink step altogether. I couldn't believe the variance in models, and I have no idea why mine was so much brighter. The top half of my screen is also more pink when shifted than the bottom half.

One of the sales people said that demo models inherently have different settings that can't be manually adjusted, but that seemed a bit far fetched to me.

Needless to say, I was a bit wary of exchanging mine so I left to think it over since I have until next Saturday. I feel like mine just reflects pink at the angle I like to hold it, because if I force myself to hold it higher or lower, it is much better. Maybe I'll just live with it for a year. The performance is definitely better than the X, so I'd like to keep it.

Frankly, this is all absurd. Apple should have better quality control or not release an OLED screen until they can dial in the technology consistently from phone to phone.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
so i went in to exchange my XS due to the pink tint that resulted from a minor angle shift, but when I compared my phone to at least 6 different demo models, mine was *considerably* brighter and whiter than each one. The amount of pink tint that resulted from angle shifts varied from phone to phone, some more than mine and some less, but each one was noticeably duller and less white than mine. I only found one XS demo that remained consistently dull white until it shifted to blue with a greater angle tint, skipping the pink step altogether. I couldn't believe the variance in models, and I have no idea why mine was so much brighter. The top half of my screen is also more pink when shifted than the bottom half.

One of the sales people said that demo models inherently have different settings that can't be manually adjusted, but that seemed a bit far fetched to me.

Needless to say, I was a bit wary of exchanging mine so I left to think it over since I have until next Saturday. I feel like mine just reflects pink at the angle I like to hold it, because if I force myself to hold it higher or lower, it is much better. Maybe I'll just live with it for a year. The performance is definitely better than the X, so I'd like to keep it.

Frankly, this is all absurd. Apple should have better quality control or not release an OLED screen until they can dial in the technology consistently from phone to phone.
The same misconception as last year: the X series brightness gets capped due to temperature. The display units are warm and cannot be a fair representation what their max brightness really is. You would need to unplug them and let them cool down for a bit before the max brightness kicks in again.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
The same misconception as last year: the X series brightness gets capped due to temperature. The display units are warm and cannot be a fair representation what their max brightness really is. You would need to unplug them and let them cool down for a bit before the max brightness kicks in again.

very interesting. nobody in the store said that. so a trade in will not necessarily be more dull than mine. hmmm. the plot thickens...

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
very interesting. nobody in the store said that. so a trade in will not necessarily be more dull than mine?
They might not be aware of that. On this forum you will see the same response from almost everyone: “I compared my phone to the display units and my unit was brighter.” It was the same last year with the X and I noticed that myself last year as well. I went through many replacements last year, so I got quite an experience comparing them lol
Also, when you use an X series phone, you get used to this behavior as well: when it gets too warm, the brightness gets reduced and you cannot adjust it until it’s cooled down. It’s related to OLED.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
so it's not a one-to-one comparison in terms of brightness / whiteness. I assume the color shift stays the same with temperature or no?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
They might not be aware of that. On this forum you will see the same response from almost everyone: “I compared my phone to the display units and my unit was brighter.” It was the same last year with the X and I noticed that myself last year as well. I went through many replacements last year, so I got quite an experience comparing them lol
Also, when you use an X series phone, you get used to this behavior as well: when it gets too warm, the brightness gets reduced and you cannot adjust it until it’s cooled down. It’s related to OLED.

7plus happens too. If you have the sun beating on the display in a really hot summer setting being outdoors without a single cloud of shade

Not just related to oled but displays in general. It’s an iOS feature to keep temperature down in extreme situations

Last edited:

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
7plus happens too. If you have the summer beating on the display in a really hot summer setting being outdoors without a single cloud of shade

Not just related to oled but displays in general. It’s an iOS feature to keep temperature down in extreme situations
You’re correct! However, it happens more often with OLED. I think it produces more heat. As far as I remember, my 6S Plus was affected way less than my X.
[doublepost=1538010918][/doublepost]
so it's not a one-to-one comparison in terms of brightness / whiteness. I assume the color shift stays the same with temperature or no?
Correct, it does not affect the color shift.

Kilosa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2016
So I been having this issue since I got it I went to the apple store today and my phone was wayyyy warmer compared to the displays. I then went to att and checked again, very yellowish! the guy came up to me and said “wow that’s a issue I’ve never seen that before “ he went ahead and ordered me a new phone because the gold was sold out. Now I’ll should wait and see.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
right. I guess the level of color shift is the real variable from phone to phone.
Yes, pure OLED lottery. Last year I saw some drastic variation. I remember one unit that I had before my current one had an insanely pink shift. Some others had it to some degree too, but that unit was just something else. It would turn almost violet when put down on the table. Needless to say, it was completely unacceptable.
I do believe though those extreme cases were attributed to early X units, as some display units were relatively bad last year as well. I checked some new Xs’s in different stores and I din’t see any dramatic examples.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Yes I see a very minimal difference. Is it enough to call it a "piss yellow" display? Absolutely not. Is it even worthy of returning? I don't think so. But people are obviously going to go hunting for an elusive perfectly white screen that they are never going to find.
Honestly I think you're focusing too much on the semantics. Regardless if someone refers to it as "piss yellow", slight yellow, w.e. the point is there is definitely a tint to these phone screens that were noticing. Its not how yellow that matters, its the fact its yellow to begin with. Its definitely there.

Reactions: Frostys and MVallee

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Yes, pure OLED lottery. Last year I saw some drastic variation. I remember one unit that I had before my current one had an insanely pink shift. Some others had it to some degree too, but that unit was just something else. It would turn almost violet when put down on the table. Needless to say, it was completely unacceptable.
I do believe though those extreme cases were attributed to early X units, as some display units were relatively bad last year as well. I checked some new Xs’s in different stores and I din’t see any dramatic examples.

Gotcha. I guess it's just a matter of if I want to roll the dice or not. Mine isn't a deep pink, but the pink tint comes through quite quickly as soon as it is tilted in a normal viewing position, hence the annoyance. Several of the floor models took a greater angle to get there it seemed. One in particular skipped over the pink and didn't shift until it went blue at a much greater angle—which is what Apple has said will happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.