Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Is it yellow?

A screenshot captures the output of the GPU, not the screen itself. You have to use a separate camera.
[doublepost=1537988231][/doublepost]
Haven’t read through the entire thread, but has everyone turned off True Tone? Mine was canary yellow. Wasn’t happy. Then I started poking around and turned off True Tone. Now the screen looks great

yes, all of this is with true tone off

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Just booted up my 6S and had it side by side with my XS. The 6S blows away the XS.
The XS with true tone OFF at max brightness is orangy vs the 6S which is brighter and
whiter. Wow. With homescreen having same wallpaper the 6S colors pop as the Xs is
muted and orangey. I have another one on order should deliver by Monday so I am holding this to
compare with the new one.

CC

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Here is an F2 vs an FF. I don't really see a difference here but maybe someone else does. Both are at full brightness and both have true tone turned off with no display modifications. These and the display models at the store (which were F2, FF, and FK, all looked like this).

The only difference is there is a film screen protector over the F2, which in theory should make it look worse but I still think it looks the exact same as the FF. Either that or this thread has driven me insane and I can't see colors anymore.

IMG_1435.jpeg

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Here is an F2 vs an FF. I don't really see a difference here but maybe someone else does. Both are at full brightness and both have true tone turned off with no display modifications. These and the display models at the store (which were F2, FF, and FK, all looked like this).

The only difference is there is a film screen protector over the F2, which in theory should make it look worse but I still think it looks the exact same as the FF. Either that or this thread has driven me insane and I can't see colors anymore.

View attachment 789232

You're probably good. If I had to choose id take the one on the right but they look close, and if they matched the display models I think thats as good as can be expected.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC

View attachment 789232
The one on the left looks a bit brighter.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I guess as a follow-up, has anybody been into the store to return a device yet? Do they have stock, or will I have to do a return and wait weeks for a new device?
I returned mine like an hour ago and setting it up. Will update on screen quality

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012

View attachment 789232
the top right corner by the battery% sign on the FF is alot warmer than the F2. Thats what I see. F2 is brighter and colors more consistent. But you said that one has a screen protector so it might be diffusing light or something, idk.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
A perfect example of how everyone sees things differently.

Well, more like what people prioritize. I never said i thought the other one was brighter. But the one on the right has a more even, slightly cooler tone, which is what I like, so thats what I picked. I dont care too much about brightness, I care about evenness and temperature.

Reactions: Rm.237

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Can anyone post pics of what a good screen looks like? I've only seen yellow pics. Mine is yellow without a screen filter. Also, to those with good screens, when you angle your screen up or down or right to left, are you seeing color variations of blue and yellow? That's what my phone experiences...I know I said I think I can hold out but I might be returning this...I feel like i'm not able to enjoy the phone like I should. First iPhone I've ever had that I have found a problem with.

:(

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I returned mine about an hour ago and got a new one. Same FF factory. This on is definitely still warmer than my 7 Plus, but significantly cooler than the one I returned. The yellow/red doesn't persist as long when I switch between off axis back to face on. This one is a little more bearable than the last for sure. I will keep it ~2 weeks and decide if I will return and wait 6 weeks or keep it. tbh if I switch it out at 6 weeks and this issue still persists and isn't addressed by apple in some form. I will just have to return it all together. To other's it may be ok, but to me its unacceptable. costs too much to be dealing with these problems!

Eee1111

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
honest question

are we getting crazy because oled doesn't have a backlight? Wouldn't that cause the screen to be less bright?

does the Samsung note get way brighter than these?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
honest question

are we getting crazy because oled doesn't have a backlight? Wouldn't that cause the screen to be less bright?

This thread isn't about brightness.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018

View attachment 789232
The one on the right here looks like it's doing the same thing as mine, just not as bad (the top-right has a yellow-ish tint and appears darker than the bottom-left).

Reactions: MyMacintosh

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
honest question

Idk. But the fact that people have cooler Xs mean those cooler screens are definitely out there or will eventually be in production. If the warmth was the same as the X I wouldn't have a problem with it.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Idk. But the fact that people have cooler Xs mean those cooler screens are definitely out there or will eventually be in production. If the warmth was the same as the X I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Cooler and warmer is not the same as backlights and brightness

Lets not get confused here

felsee

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Question: Do screen protectors tend to affect the color temperature of whites?? I have a belkin invisiglass ultra screen protector on my Xs and I can't really say if it makes the yellow tint more visible? Don't really want to take it to off to find out :/

I have a C39 serial number....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.