Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
So is the consensus here that the FF models and G0 models have better screens than say an F2 model?

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Have received my swap device today. It‘s the second time serial FF and has the same „viewing angle issue“ than my first device.

I will wait a month and swap again when production line ramped up correctly.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
So is the consensus here that the FF models and G0 models have better screens than say an F2 model?

No that’s pure BS. Me and my brother both have F2 and it’s pretty close to X screen when I compared with just slight warmness but not enough to call it yellow. Don’t waste your time trying to get those serial numbers lol.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Have received my swap device today. It‘s the second time serial FF and has the same „viewing angle issue“ than my first device.

Its crazy in 2018 this is still an issue even now holding the max the top half is nice and white and keybaord yellow cos of way im holding it, im starting to really hate oled

Reactions: lancastor

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC

If I were you, I would return/rebuy a couple of times before the return window is up. If you're outside of the return period, they most likely will say "it's within expected production variance" and you'll be stuck with it.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
No that’s pure BS. Me and my brother both have F2 and it’s pretty close to X screen when I compared with just slight warmness but not enough to call it yellow. Don’t waste your time trying to get those serial numbers lol.

Have to agree here, I've seen no evidence over the years that factory hunting has produced better results. It's luck of the draw/dependent of the batch of screens that were being used on a particular run. Factory independent.

Last edited:

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
No, you are good. The exchange will reset the Next instantly, and you can then rebuy.

What do you mean here? I am in the same position but bought the phone from the apple store. The pink tint on my XS comes through with the slightest angle tilt and it's annoying the hell out of me. Do I return it and rebuy or exchange it?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
What do you mean here? I am in the same position but bought the phone from the apple store. The pink tint on my XS comes through with the slightest angle tilt and it's annoying the hell out of me. Do I return it and rebuy or exchange it?

It's the exact same thing. If you ask for an "Exchange" they will bring the other phone out, then return your original phone and charge you separately for the new one. An exchange is a return and rebuy. In the process, NEXT eligibility is reset.

Know that after about 3-4 of these, ATT shuts auto reset down, and Apple has to call them to get it reset. Can get annoying. So if your second one sucks, I recommend returning it and waiting 6 weeks for another batch.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
I have a F2 iphone max and I compared mine to the display phone at the Apple store and my phone was brighter and more white than the ones they had.

Attachments

• 166D47D9-9513-42A3-A2B3-C5606191B5A4.png
    166D47D9-9513-42A3-A2B3-C5606191B5A4.png
    755.6 KB · Views: 182

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
It's the exact same thing. If you ask for an "Exchange" they will bring the other phone out, then return your original phone and charge you separately for the new one. An exchange is a return and rebuy. In the process, NEXT eligibility is reset.

Know that after about 3-4 of these, ATT shuts auto reset down, and Apple has to call them to get it reset. Can get annoying. So if your second one sucks, I recommend returning it and waiting 6 weeks for another batch.

Gotcha. I guess my other question is what do you mean by "reset"?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Gotcha. I guess my other question is what do you mean by "reset"?

Jeez man

Reset eligibility for the upgrade. Enable you to do NEXT again. Make the old phone installment plan go away. Become like you never bought the first phone to begin with.

Hope that clears it up

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I turned the phone brightness all the way up and no true tone was present. I even asked the Apple rep and she said my phone clearly had the better screen. Luck of the draw I guess
Every phone on display has not as high brightness evem if you set it, the brightness isnt th issue its the horrible tone of diaplay

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Jeez man

Reset eligibility for the upgrade. Enable you to do NEXT again. Make the old phone installment plan go away. Become like you never bought the first phone to begin with.

Hope that clears it up

Thanks, Makes sense. Sorry to bother you.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Well my whites were far more superior than the display. Rep said my phone was definitely whiter

Either you got a good one or they haven't swapped out the display models to the correct temp ones yet. Usually any dingy display model gets swapped within the first 2 weeks.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
Has anyone exchanged their phone yet? Now that I’ve seen it I cannot unsee it. I think I’m going to return and buy another one.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
Either you got a good one or they haven't swapped out the display models to the correct temp ones yet. Usually any dingy display model gets swapped within the first 2 weeks.
Okay bro my screens piss yellow. Are you guys happy now lol

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Okay bro my screens piss yellow. Are you guys happy now lol

if it is, and you don't like it, you should return it. If it doesn't bother you, you should keep it. If you are just saying that because you think we are trying to say ALL XS screens are yellow, you haven't read the thread nor comprehended what we are talking about here. No one is saying all screens are yellow.

Reactions: MVallee

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
if it is, and you don't like it, you should return it. If it doesn't bother you, you should keep it. If you are just saying that because you think we are trying to say ALL XS screens are yellow, you haven't read the thread nor comprehended what we are talking about here. No one is saying all screens are yellow.
Is it yellow?

Attachments

• E03BE2BB-C8A4-4FCE-9D75-38FABBD5D42A.png
    E03BE2BB-C8A4-4FCE-9D75-38FABBD5D42A.png
    413.6 KB · Views: 181

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
Well I am really unlucky this time

First one , factory FK, gradient from left to right and when tilted left side goes blue and right side goes pink

Second one, F2, gradient from top to bottom with top bluish and bottom yellowish. Tilting goes blue with no pink

I am fairly convinced seeing the store ones were not great that this crop of panels vary too much.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Haven’t read through the entire thread, but has everyone turned off True Tone? Mine was canary yellow. Wasn’t happy. Then I started poking around and turned off True Tone. Now the screen looks great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.