Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
No they are not defects!!! If you strongly believe that then return your phone for a refund or exchange it 20 times while looking like a fool. Of course there are variations but to call it a defect is straight up nonsense. And oh yea any pics of a XS Max that has a perfect screen to you that you’re hunting for that’s not piss yellow? Let’s see it and compare it to a X.

Use whatever word you want, unless it is visually indistinguishable from an X, it's not within specs.

Like I said, not a single person alive could tell the diff between 6,591k and 6,511k, including you. If you have a macbook, use the color calibration tool to compare those two points. I'll pay you $500 if you can identify the display at 6,511k 5/5 times.

If you have an XS that differs from wither a good iPhone X or the apple display models, you have an out of spec phone according to the numbers provided by Displaymate and should get it swapped.

How dare you question people's ability to distinguish between 6,591k and 6,511k screens. I went to Apple earlier this morning, was looking at a display model (XS Max 256gb) and I judged that the screen probably fell right along the lines of 6,591.874k. I promptly turned my nose up in disgust, judged the entire store's inventory and left. So don't come on here giving us that type of nonsense that people can't tell. You've offended me

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
How dare you question people's ability to distinguish between 6,591k and 6,511k screens. I went to Apple earlier this morning, was looking at a display model (XS Max 256gb) and I judged that the screen probably fell right along the lines of 6,591.874k. I promptly turned my nose up in disgust, judged the entire store's inventory and left. So don't come on here giving us that type of nonsense that people can't tell. You've offended me

Gold. Post of the day.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Damn, wish I didn't read this thread. I have 2 iPhone XS Max at the house. My wife phone is a bit cooler very similar to what my iPhone X was like. However, the color shift is huge at 30% (much more than my iPhone X). The other device is quite a bit warmer but with almost zero color shift. Not sure I want to start playing the screen lottery game, but there is quite a bit of variability between the 2 devices I am looking at.
I’d stick with the zero color shift

Reactions: jlevy73

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Folks, just because you can not notice the variation, doesn’t mean others shouldn’t eithe. Some people see the dress blue, others see it hold. People are different. Accept it and move on.

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
You’re the best!!

My phone was actually set to 25% white point reduction.

I have no idea how this happened but now I switched it off and it looks better to the naked eye. Can’t wait to get home tonight to compare with my X!

Did you setup this phone from a backup (iCloud or iTunes) ? Settings (even forgotten changes) can be imported from the restore of a previous device, which can be really frustrating at times.

Either way glad you resolved your issue!

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I’m using the display accommodation with a color filter to give my phone a cooler blue display. It makes the shift of colors when tilting the device less noticeable as well. It’s not ideal obviously but I’m content with it.

Waziti

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
I’m using the display accommodation with a color filter to give my phone a cooler blue display. It makes the shift of colors when tilting the device less noticeable as well. It’s not ideal obviously but I’m content with it.
So you have this issue too? I have it as well, took it to an Apple Store today and they noticed it too but would not replace it for me because its "not a known issue yet." So I don't know what to do, I guess I could go back to my carrier and swap them out, but I'd have to probably pay a restocking fee. But this yellow tint at the top half of my screen is just so hard to not notice.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
So you have this issue too? I have it as well, took it to an Apple Store today and they noticed it too but would not replace it for me because its "not a known issue yet." So I don't know what to do, I guess I could go back to my carrier and swap them out, but I'd have to probably pay a restocking fee. But this yellow tint at the top half of my screen is just so hard to not notice.

Yeah and I don’t have any other issue with the phone than the display, so I’m hoping maybe over time the screen corrects itself or a future update fixes, idk, but the color filter is a nice trick so I’d rather not go through the hassle of returning a bunch of phones with more potential issues...

Waziti

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Me too, and I had a Space Gray one before this gold one and that one looked flawless, but this one does not. It's just frustrating because now that I noticed it when I first got it on Saturday, I can't un-notice it, and its really noticeable when using anything on the phone that has a white background like a web browser or something along those lines.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
It is case by case and depends on A) the store and B) how you interact with people. I went through several X last year and just to be safe either confirmed everything with a genius or one of the managers. I'm generally friendly and engaging and explained my issues in detail to them. I even tell them to please stop me from exchanging / buying again if you feel I am abusing any policy. Each time they tell me it isn't a problem at all. Who knows what they put in their notes, but I've never had a problem.

But, I don't want to be "that guy." Bought two XS, returned the 2nd one. Despite my annoyance with very narrow sweet spot compared to perfect display models, will in all likelihood keep my first XS. It is warm but it is accurate. Up next to my monitor calibrated with ColorMunki Display and DisplayCAL to 6500K, the XS is identical to the monitor. Blacked out work-related bookmarks on Chrome bar. But you get the idea. Warm display is accurate, you have to get used to it.

View attachment 788359
I was very nice to them, but they had been dealing with a lot of people wanting to do the same thing.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
My first Max and my second looked slightly different when held next to each other, but the floor models looks significantly different and better. There is definitely variation between units.

Maybe the floor models are the whole time @ max brightness ?

Valentin99

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018

I had this on a replacement XS (Singapore). The first one was so brown that any attempt of a color filtering was messing up the other colors as well (true tone on in daylight). This was all over the screen, it looked like an activated night shift but at least it was consistent. Second phone had what you described, warm white on the upper side and as a plus, a greenish one on the lower side. While getting a refund for the second phone, I took a look at the XS MAX on display and it had a pink gradient over the screen. Maybe getting a decent screen is like a shot in the dark...

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It’s worth adjusting brightness and True Tone till you get the desired warmth or coolness your loooking for.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
FF are the serial # of the one that I think is pretty decent uniformity wise

Glass screen protectors on both so camera is sorta making up some weird pink tinge in left of mine and weird stuff on the right

But looks like a good panel to me

It’s no doubt warmer but brighter and I don’t see color shift or anything obviously terrible about the max

Greys look reddish and whites yellowish to me.
[doublepost=1537951280][/doublepost]
Did you even read before sticking your nose with my point to him. He implied I cannot do a simple search smh.

I’m done with this pointless thread. Go ahead return your phone 20 times. You will be the same people complaining on the next model while claiming Xs max is not yellow next year. Just like you guys did on the X last year and all the sudden it’s the proper blue display this year? You guys crack me up. Apple should seriously ban you if you return your phone more than three times and just give you a refund.
Is it not telling that Apple do allow multi returns no questions asked?
[doublepost=1537951438][/doublepost]
I don’t know why this thread is getting so hostile. For the people who don't feel there is an issue, why are you here?

The top half of my display looks like night shift is on when holding it normally and only looks even when tilting it at an angle away from me. I have checked it against 2 other XS Max and neither of them have the same issue. Just because your phone is fine doesn’t mean everyone else’s is.
Agreed. Some of the comments are toxic or just Apple apologists. It's not their hard earned cash on the line so really bizarre why they want to get personal.

Reactions: Harthag and MVallee

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
That’s because FK is the oldest and main factory in Zhengzhou, China. Where all the veteran guys work. F1 and F2 are mainly internship workers.
Right FFand FK have sleeping quarters F1 and F2 don’t. It’s considered a Privillage and promotion to work at FK.
[doublepost=1537951709][/doublepost]
I tried that at first. But doing that killed your brightness. Keep your phone as Is and compare it next to a Note 9. And you will see what I mean.

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
My max is also a different hue on top versus the bottom at a normal viewing angle. For those that want a new one (like me), is it better to go to Genius Bar or return and order new one?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
If you guys have doubt of your display try watching this video.

I’d also like to find a HEVC 10-bit HDR movie file to try and run it on the XsMAX.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Greys look reddish and whites yellowish to me.
[doublepost=1537951280][/doublepost]
Is it not telling that Apple do allow multi returns no questions asked?
[doublepost=1537951438][/doublepost]
Agreed. Some of the comments are toxic or just Apple apologists. It's not their hard earned cash on the line so really bizarre why they want to get personal.

That’s interesting so in that pic you much prefer my X to the max?

Doesn’t look that bad to me in person personally but it’s not even my phone :p

I see warmth but not the rest. And it doesn’t look piss yellow to me. But.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.