Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Valentin99

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
This. Once they swap out the phone you can’t return it and if you get another bad display they can refuse to swap it again. Return the one you have and buy a new one.

In which country? I'm surprised to see that Apple doesn't have the same policy worldwide.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
This. A lot of people do not understand (relatively young) OLED technology. OLED screens ALWAYS display a warmer/yellow tint, especially from Apple. The reasons why are simple:

1. Apple highly specializes in color accuracy reproduction and calibrations. The new iPhone(s) that utilize OLED technology are calibrated to the truest color imaginable with the technology at hand. They do this before they are packed in boxes and shipped/sent off.

2. In terms of professional digital color reproduction and calibration, white isn't necessarily white. A well calibrated and color accurate monitor/screen will ALWAYS display a hint of yellow and will give off a warm color. Those who aren't used to or trained on high quality, calibrated screens will notice the yellow/warmth right away and their eyes as well as their minds will reject it. This is normal.

We human beings favor the blue end of the light/color spectrum because it seems brighter and more neutral to our eyes. Just because a digital screen looks brighter and bluer (which is perceived natural to us) doesn't mean its overall correct in reality.

3. The OLED technology in modern day mobile devices is still young. The Note and Pixel lines all have been plagued with the same "issues"/complaints. Screen burn in, deeper than normal yellow tint, lack of uniformity and the like. Its because this technology is bleeding edge and takes years of RnD, and fixes to get them to where, in our (literal) eyes as the consumer, to satisfactory levels. Once again, even if the screen is absolutely perfect, it will still seem "yellow ish" to the average consumer.

4. I encourage everyone to go to their local electronics store (Best Buy, Apple, Fry's, Microcenter, etc), look for their devices that have OLED screens. Compare those devices to your non-OLED screens and your iPhone X/XS, Samsung Note 9, 9+ and Google Pixels. You'll notice that the yellow/reddish tint will still be there. The intensity varies between phone manufacturers and the screens themselves.

5. One last important thing to note: Your screen will "cool down" over time. Your eyes and mind will adjust to it and you will get used to it. Give it time, you WILL adapt to it. I personally can NOT go back to turning true tone off and/or use a screen/monitor that isn't professionally calibrated. Hell, even my work monitors and laptop screens are calibrated to the best of my ability and the best of the ability of the technologies within each device.

If you can't wait that long and are still miffed about the color after some time, adjust the color to your liking. You can either turn off true tone or go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Color Filters and adjust the color of your screen by yourself (self calibration). If all else fails and if you still aren't satisfied, simply return your iPhone before the 14 day mark. You shouldn't force yourself to use a $1000+ phone if you aren't satisfied with it.

To those who are experiencing MAJOR color uniformity and shift issues, please take it to your nearest apple store and have someone at the genius bar take a look at it and compare it to the iPhone(s) at their store. You may or may not need to get it replaced. A $1000+ phone should NOT have a bad screen. That is just it.

I used to be one of those users that would complain that my screen was yellow and not on the cooler side. That was until I got my then top of the line Panasonic Viera VT50 plasma HDTV pro calibrated. The colors were more true to life and guess what? The overall screen had a hint of yellow to it but colors looked better and were more accurate. The same can be said about my LG B6 which has been pro calibrated as well and same story, it has a hint of yellow.

My suggestion to those that are complaining that your screen is exhibiting a yellow hue is this - give it some time. Try to adjust to it and you will notice that colors are more accurate and once you've adjusted to it go back and compare your XS/XS Max to an older iPhone with a cooler hue and you'll notice how much more accurate your display is.

Reactions: Carb0n12

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I used to be one of those users that would complain that my screen was yellow and not on the cooler side. That was until I got my then top of the line Panasonic Viera VT50 plasma HDTV pro calibrated. The colors were more true to life and guess what? The overall screen had a hint of yellow to it but colors looked better and were more accurate. The same can be said about my LG B6 which has been pro calibrated as well and same story, it has a hint of yellow.

My suggestion to those that are complaining that your screen is exhibiting a yellow hue is this - give it some time. Try to adjust to it and you will notice that colors are more accurate and once you've adjusted to it go back and compare your XS/XS Max to an older iPhone with a cooler hue and you'll notice how much more accurate your display is.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to this thread. This has nothing to do with a display that is closer to accurate, or a 6500k white point. As mentioned, displaymate confirmed that the XS and X should be visually indistinguishable from each other in color temperature This thread is for phones that do not match that criteria, neither matching the X or any XS display phone.

voidedcyanide

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
My max is also a different hue on top versus the bottom at a normal viewing angle. For those that want a new one (like me), is it better to go to Genius Bar or return and order new one?

I’m also having a similar problem to you. If I angle my XS Max towards me with the bottom of the phone sat on a table, then the bottom half and the top half are different shades of white.
Ok this isn’t at a completely flat angle to my face, but still what I’d consider to be a normal viewing angle tilted a little away from me. Had an X for a year and it definitely didn’t do that (and I’ve checked as I passed that phone on to my partner) Hell, my partner even noticed it with no prompting from me.

I’m fine with the screen being warmer. But I’d like it to maintain the same colour hue across the whole screen under normal use

For what it’s worth my Serial number starts with F2

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
A667280F-61AD-4BD0-94CC-41E86BFD9596.jpeg
You clearly haven't been paying attention to this thread. This has nothing to do with a display that is closer to accurate, or a 6500k white point. As mentioned, displaymate confirmed that the XS and X should be visually indistinguishable from each other in color temperature This thread is for phones that do not match that criteria, neither matching the X or any XS display phone.
Color me stupid but when I clicked on this thread I thought I was going to read about...yellow tinted screens and not about matching any other phones?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
View attachment 789103
Color me stupid but when I clicked on this thread I thought I was going to read about...yellow tinted screens and not about matching any other phones?

The whole narrative around that is that we have color accuracy warriors who try to swoop in and say people who think their screens are yellow simply arent used to a correct calibration. In fact, people in this thread are complaining about screen variances that do not match what an XS screen should look like.

The screens posted in this thread are in fact out of spec and should be swapped.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I now join the crowd of a bad screen. I had an X before and the screen was gorgeous, the whites were perfect and the colors vibrant. That phone I gave to my wife and I got the new XS. Had it since 9/21 and I have to say next to the X it's no comparison. Mine looks dingy yellow/red and way less bright. I am a color matcher by trade so I can see color differences very well. At first I was just going to keep it but then I said to myself 1150 dollars for a sub par screen, no way. Just ordered another online and I should get it in 2 days. I will compare the 2 and report back here. I am hopeful that the new one is at least better than the one I have. If it's not I will be in a quandary.

Very disappointing to say the least.

CC

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I now join the crowd of a bad screen. I had an X before and the screen was gorgeous, the whites were perfect and the colors vibrant. That phone I gave to my wife and I got the new XS. Had it since 9/21 and I have to say next to the X it's no comparison. Mine looks dingy yellow/red and way less bright. I am a color matcher by trade so I can see color differences very well. At first I was just going to keep it but then I said to myself 1150 dollars for a sub par screen, no way. Just ordered another online and I should get it in 2 days. I will compare the 2 and report back here. I am hopeful that the new one is at least better than the one I have. If it's not I will be in a quandary.

Very disappointing to say the least.

CC

Glad to hear you are taking action and not putting up with subpar junk screens.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
If you guys have doubt of your display try watching this video.

I’d also like to find a HEVC 10-bit HDR movie file to try and run it on the XsMAX.

So what is this video suppose to do/prove? It doesn't play in 4K HDR - at least not on my computer. Max is 1080P. On my phone and computer, it looks identical.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
Glad to hear you are taking action and not putting up with subpar junk screens.

Here is what I am afraid of, can Apple ship as new, phones returned within the 2 week period? If so I may be getting someone else's garbage screen.

CC

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Here is what I am afraid of, can Apple ship as new, phones returned within the 2 week period? If so I may be getting someone else's garbage screen.

CC

Nah, Apple takes those, breaks them down and recycles them. The screen may end up in a refurb phone.

cc999

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
So in a sense, ya, you will be getting someone else’s phone as the screen is what you really notice and interact with on the phone.

The ones shipped directly from China I am sure are not returns, but the ones shipped from the USA right now I am not so sure? And by returns I mean exactly what I am doing, return within the 14 day period no explanation.

CC

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
My Max is having an issue where there's almost a yellow gradient from top to bottom. That is, if I'm viewing a full white screen, the top maybe 2/3 of the screen is yellow tinted while the bottom is what I would expect-- a neutral white.

My concern with going to an Apple Store for a return is that I purchased on ATT Next. Am I going to have to fork up money up front to do a return and purchase of a new one?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
My Max is having an issue where there's almost a yellow gradient from top-right to bottom left. That is, if I'm viewing a full white screen, the top-right corner is yellow tinted while the bottom left is what I would expect-- a neutral white.

My concern with going to an Apple Store for a return is that I purchased on ATT Next. Am I going to have to fork up money up front to do a return and purchase of a new one?

No, you are good. The exchange will reset the Next instantly, and you can then rebuy.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
No, you are good. The exchange will reset the Next instantly, and you can then rebuy.
Thanks for the info. I'd really hate to return a week-old phone, but for how expensive these devices are, I don't want to just accept my screen uniformity / LTE issues! If the entire screen was just uniformly too warm/cold I could adjust with settings and be happy-- but if half the screen is always going to be a different temperature from the other half, I'll never be able to unsee that...
[doublepost=1537978110][/doublepost]I guess as a follow-up, has anybody been into the store to return a device yet? Do they have stock, or will I have to do a return and wait weeks for a new device?

Last edited:
Reactions: BigSky20

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011

Or maybe I have been paying attention and I am simply giving users my point of view.

What makes you think your phone will be identical to someone else's? I could care less of what DisplayMate has stated, no phones will be alike. These are mass produced devices and each one will vary while some might actually be identical.

You'll eventually end up trading in your iPhone over and over again instead of just enjoying it but hey if that's what it'll take to get that cooler hue screen more power to ya.

Reactions: evorc

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Or maybe I have been paying attention and I am simply giving users my point of view.

What makes you think your phone will be identical to someone else's? I could care less of what DisplayMate has stated, no phones will be alike. These are mass produced devices and each one will vary while some might actually be identical.

You'll eventually end up trading in your iPhone over and over again instead of just enjoying it but hey if that's what it'll take to get that cooler hue screen more power to ya.

OK so we agree, there are variances.

I guess you are advocating for people to be complacent? The reason these people are finding this thread is because they are not satisfied with their phones, and are looking for answers. My advice to them: don't "put up" with something you don't like, especially when paying this much.

My problem is when people come in and try to gaslight everyone into thinking its normal, and people who don't like their screens just aren't used to a certain calibration, when that is not at all even remotely what we are discussing here. We've now proven it with Displaymtes measurements for what the phones should be, nullifying all color calibration warriors for good.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Im finding sometimes its cooler then it starts to go yellow as using it and this is with true tone off its like its running in the back

Reactions: MyMacintosh

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011

Exactly my point here. Instead of enjoying the device, you would rather obsess over a non-issue and put yourself in such stress. When you know in your mind you will upgrade next year and did not pay full cash for it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.