Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
People get emotional over these devices, they are a big part of many peoples lives, so I kinda understand it. That said, I don't know what others intend to do, as I fail to understand the emotion, and vitriol over a minor change in color temperature. Apple has a history (regardless of emotional opinion) of warming or cooling color temperature on new devices.

That said, there will always be outlying extreme examples with poor calibration, and true hardware issues, however the overall change is rarely a big issue in itself.

I couldn’t agree with you more.

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Damn, wish I didn't read this thread. I have 2 iPhone XS Max at the house. My wife phone is a bit cooler very similar to what my iPhone X was like. However, the color shift is huge at 30% (much more than my iPhone X). The other device is quite a bit warmer but with almost zero color shift. Not sure I want to start playing the screen lottery game, but there is quite a bit of variability between the 2 devices I am looking at.

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
Damn, wish I didn't read this thread. I have 2 iPhone XS Max at the house. My wife phone is a bit cooler very similar to what my iPhone X was like. However, the color shift is huge at 30% (much more than my iPhone X). The other device is quite a bit warmer but with almost zero color shift. Not sure I want to start playing the screen lottery game, but there is quite a bit of variability between the 2 devices I am looking at.

LOL I feel the exact same way. My phone is "mostly" perfect but it is a tad bit more warm than my iPhone X was. FWIW my serial number starts with FK. I wouldn't call it "piss yellow" but it is on the warmer side of things and TrueTone is off.

I admit I love a cooler display. And the display is absolutely fine otherwise. No pink spots, no color shifting, etc. It's just warmer than I prefer. I really don't want to jump down the rabbit hole of obsessing over the screen and trying to find the perfect one but they are expensive devices and I do expect to be completely happy. Apple seriously needs to let us adjust the color profiles, and I don't mean just overlay filters. Everyone has a preference and this would fix so many of this "too warm for me" or "too cool for me" types of complaints. I know, I'm preaching to the choir lol.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Really? Based on what source?

Not sure about his source, but he is wrong. The only displays that are being manufactured by LG are those of the units whose serial number starts with F2. They are made in the new facility in Guangzhou. All the rest are by Samsung.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Not sure about his source, but he is wrong. The only displays that are being manufactured by LG are those of the units whose serial number starts with F2. They are made in the new facility in Guangzhou. All the rest are by Samsung.

Is this sarcasm too? How do you know this?

Reactions: evorc

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011

Just stop with this nonsense! Sure LG recently approved to be second supplier there is no way they supplied OLED for XS Max that fast. And oh it’s Zhengzhou not Guangzhou. Where are you even getting this information lol? So your telling me LG was already providing the screens to Apple in August when it was recently approved sometime mid September?

Production week : -34- (August)
Production year : -2018-
Model introduced: --
Memory - number of slots: Please tell us how many memory (RAM) slots this machine has.
Factory: F2 (China, Zhengzhou - Foxconn)

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Just stop with this nonsense! Sure LG recently approved to be second supplier there is no way they supplied OLED for XS Max that fast. And oh it’s not Guangzhou. Where are you even getting this information lol? So your telling me LG was already providing the screens to Apple in August when it was recently approved sometime mid September?

Memory - number of slots: Please tell us how many memory (RAM) slots this machine has.

Yes. Guangzhou is the LG factory. Zhengzhou Is the Foxconn assembly line.

Reactions: Harthag

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
lol, ok. My sarcasm detector must be broken
I have done exhaustive semi scientific testing of 6 XsMAX phones at the Apple store which consisted of me holding them side by side. As any internet scientists would. And can confirm FK serial numbered phones are the cream of the crop.

If that doesn’t set off your sarcasm alarm nothing will.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
I have done exhaustive semi scientific testing of 6 XsMAX phones at the Apple store which consisted of me holding them side by side. As any internet scientists would. And can confirm FK serial numbered phones are the cream of the crop.

That’s because FK is the oldest and main factory in Zhengzhou, China. Where all the veteran guys work. F1 and F2 are mainly internship workers.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
People get emotional over these devices, they are a big part of many peoples lives, so I kinda understand it. That said, I don't know what others intend to do, as I fail to understand the emotion, and vitriol over a minor change in color temperature. Apple has a history (regardless of emotional opinion) of warming or cooling color temperature on new devices.

That said, there will always be outlying extreme examples with poor calibration, and true hardware issues, however the overall change is rarely a big issue in itself.
I couldn’t agree with you more.

The irony is that you are both agreeing with me and the others in this thread. You say yourself that variations do exist. That's the point of this thread.

Zero people on this thread are complaining about a slightly warmer calibration. And by the way if you think you can tell the difference between 6591k vs 6511k, you are absolutely insane. Those are the measurements of the white point Displaymate got for the X and the XS as posted by 840quadra himself. This is what you are using to "prove" the XS is a warmer calibration. Its absolute nonsense. Those two displays side by side would be visually indistinguishable from each other.

In this thread, we are not seeing XS phones that are indistinguishable from good X phones. We are seeing massive, massive differences. In other words, we are seeing what you exactly call out - there are variations, and they are defects.

As mentioned, there tends to be more defects at launch. To reduce your chances of a defect, buy after 6 weeks. If your iPhone looks distinguishably different than your iPhone X (assuming you got one of the good X screens), you have yourself a defect.

Last edited:

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
If that doesn’t set off your sarcasm alarm nothing will.

latest

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
No they are not defects!!! If you strongly believe that then return your phone for a refund or exchange it 20 times while looking like a fool. Of course there are variations but to call it a defect is straight up nonsense. And oh yea any pics of a XS Max that has a perfect screen to you that you’re hunting for that’s not piss yellow? Let’s see it and compare it to a X.

The irony is that you are both agreeing with me and the others in this thread. You say yourself that variations do exist. That's the point of this thread.

Zero people on this thread are complaining about a slightly warmer calibration. And by the way if you think you can tell the difference between 6591k vs 6511k, you are absolutely insane. Those are the measurements of the white point Displaymate got for the X and the XS as posted by 840quadra himself. This is what you are using to "prove" the XS is a warmer calibration. Its absolute nonsense. Those two displays side by side would be visually indistinguishable from each other.

In this thread, we are not seeing XS phones that are indistinguishable from good X phones. We are seeing massive, massive differences. In other words, we are seeing what you exactly call out - there are variations, and they are defects.

As mentioned, there tends to be more defects at launch. To reduce your chances of a defect, buy after 6 weeks. If your iPhone looks distinguishably different than your iPhone X (assuming you got one of the good X screens), you have yourself a defect.

Reactions: skadd

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I don’t know why this thread is getting so hostile. For the people who don't feel there is an issue, why are you here?

The top half of my display looks like night shift is on when holding it normally and only looks even when tilting it at an angle away from me. I have checked it against 2 other XS Max and neither of them have the same issue. Just because your phone is fine doesn’t mean everyone else’s is.

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
Just stop with this nonsense! Sure LG recently approved to be second supplier there is no way they supplied OLED for XS Max that fast. And oh it’s Zhengzhou not Guangzhou. Where are you even getting this information lol? So your telling me LG was already providing the screens to Apple in August when it was recently approved sometime mid September?

You have to keep in mind the f2-south china shop produced certain displays in the evening so there might be some slight hues on screens vs ones made at the f3-north china shop which produced iPhones in the early to mid morning. Also you have to realize that with investigating who made which screens and serial numbers etc all boil down to the names of certain factory workers. I don't have sources on all this info but I read it on the internets..

Reactions: NJHitmen

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
No they are not defects!!! If you strongly believe that then return your phone for a refund or exchange it 20 times while looking like a fool. Of course there are variations but to call it a defect is straight up nonsense. And oh yea any pics of a XS Max that has a perfect screen to you that you’re hunting for that’s not piss yellow? Let’s see it and compare it to a X.

Use whatever word you want, unless it is visually indistinguishable from an X, it's not within specs.

Like I said, not a single person alive could tell the diff between 6,591k and 6,511k, including you. If you have a macbook, use the color calibration tool to compare those two points. I'll pay you $500 if you can identify the display at 6,511k 5/5 times.

If you have an XS that differs from either a good iPhone X or the apple display models, you have an out of spec phone according to the numbers provided by Displaymate and should get it swapped.

Last edited:
Reactions: skadd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.