Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
I have a FF model. Does not have any color shifting (my X dis have bad color shifting compare to this) and white poing is about the same has my monitor and ipad. Im more into cold color cause all my galaxy phones with the tint slider i used to adjusted to cold (blueish).

Now remember. The colder u make ur screen the less brighter it becomes. I think giving a Tint slider (not filter) would solve this, to please everyone with have their definition of perfect white point.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Can someone give some clarification on the model/factory number? I’ve seen some mention that FF or G0 seem to have good displays. Is this just the first 2 characters of the serial number?

My XS Max with a yellow display starts with F2.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Can someone give some clarification on the model/factory number? I’ve seen some mention that FF or G0 seem to have good displays. Is this just the first 2 characters of the serial number?

Model/Factory numbers mean nothing.

Literally nothing when it comes to displays.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

Blasphemy!! Don't you know that all of the FF and G0 displays are perfect!! Go into your Apple store and demand one of these models. They will happily go sift through boxes to find you one.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
What’s the name of the MacRumors forum user that exchanges 10+ iPhones every year, while looking for the perfect one?

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
In the last 3 Days of use the Yellowness has self corrected.
I have an FK serial number device which has been confirmed as a Samsung panel. Not LG
And what may have helped cure or self correct the slightest yellow tone was running the Display at MAX brightness the last 3 days.
I also notice No color shift at angle
And after a very scientific and exhaustive test by me holding my Xs mAX next to other MAX phones at the Apple store. My unit exhibits much less if any text smearing when scrolling.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyMacintosh

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
Man you are all over the map on this. From what you wrote here it sounds like you agree with those of us who are demanding excellence from apple on this. Like you said many manufacturers have gotten it right at much lower price points. There is no scenario in which we should accept less while paying more.

Sounds like you’re on team no-yellow.

Actually I'm on team "#0867 themed-yellow". thank you.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
I have an FK serial number device which has been confirmed as a Samsung panel. Not LG
And what may have helped cure or self correct the slightest yellow tone was running the Display at MAX brightness the last 3 days.
And after a very scientific and exhaustive test by me holding my Xs mAX next to other MAX phones at the Apple store. My unit exhibits much less if any text smearing when scrolling.

Color doesn't correct itself, it's really just your eye get use to it.

asu1996

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2013

Mine starts with FF and I have a warm display and hate it. If I don’t have True Tone or night shift on I want a white display!!!! Enough said. This is another fail by Apple. Can’t believe this keeps happening year after year.

tbeaumont

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
Atlanta

How did you confirm that Samsung made the display?

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017

Serial mean the batch when iphones were manufacture. At that time it also means that the display batch was of great quality. Reason why most are reporting the FF anf G0 to have great display while other serial numbers are hit or miss. My FF is a perfect panel. No color shifting no blue tint. No warm piss yellow hue. Just a nice white uniform screen. I was about to exchange it for a 256gb since i have a 64gb but after this thread im keeping my unit.

larryatona56

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Hi there, I just bought a new iPhone XS this morning, and I just got to open it, and after setting everything up I could tell right away that the screen looked yellowish looking at it head-on, but when looking at it from any other angle it looked white just like any other iPhone screen, it looked way too yellow compared to my iPhone's 7 screen, and I've seen that many other users reported this issue with the X and XS, so I don't know if the i hones from launch always came defective, or it's just a normal thing for the new iPhones.

Any opinions? Should I return it to the store and get a new one or wait a bit, I did find numerous posts regarding "glue" drying out for the first few days of any new iPhone X or XS, but I don't know, that doesn't sound right. I'd appreciate any insights on my problem, thanks.

Orangeman13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2015
My max is this way. I also have to turn the brightness all the way up and I really didn’t have to do that with my 7+ not sure why

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Factory / serial can be relevant or it can be placebo effect. Who knows. Curious why last year and this year there are only one or two factory numbers as display models, out of the many that we all get, and why they generally tend to be perfect. Can't prove anything, just a thought. This is MR, where people can post thoughts...

I went to compare mine again at the store on way back from work and the floor models for the XS were mostly G0 and some DN. Mine (C3) is comparable to all of them. Just how OLED is. It was not as bright in the store today (huge windows letting sun in) so I could make better comparisons. So I take 30 minutes on walk home from work to compare iPhone screens, who cares. Ignorance is bliss.

Eee1111

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
I wouldn’t listen to anyone on this site talking serial #s and how they know they got a Samsung. Or if their phone looks good or bad is up to their eye.

Let someone credible talk serial #s and post sources for your info.

Reactions: evorc

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Reading this thread is straight up comedy. I wanted to leave it alone but it keeps showing in my notifications and can’t help but be humored. Now you guys are in to serial numbers as if it means anything? Some speak here as if they are credible experts. Lmao you guys have so much time in your hand to go through all this trouble and even go to the apple store just to compare your phone to floor models. Lmao this is too much!!! My phone is F2 does that mean I have a piss yellow screen and an inferior device so called experts??? Get out of here it means nothing!!! My display is beautiful and I’m so glad the screen is slightly warmer because colors are more accurate. Learn display calibration and see why Apple went with warmer calibration this time on XS Max.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I have FF and the whites are warm next to my 8 Plus and there is a blue tint if I tilt the phone away from me. The screen is nice and uniform and definitely not yellow so I will probably keep it, but I prefer the white from a good LCD panel. I don’t think that’s possible with an OLED display.

Reactions: evorc and stafil

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I keep seeing “changing the color tint is only a temporary solution,” or “it doesn’t fix the problem long term.” What does that even mean? It’s like saying “screens scratch and putting a screen protector is only a temporary solution.” The screen protector is the solution, just like if you change the color tint to your liking, that is the solution. None of this “well without the color adjustments it would still look warm.” Who cares! The color adjustments are obviously there for a reason so that users can adjust the color to your liking.

I’m starting to see why so many think this thread is ridiculous. I’ve looked at several Max displays, in store, of friends, and including my wife’s so called proper FF model. Guess what, they all look the exact same! So this is either how the displays look, or Apple will adjust it down the road. Until then, I can’t take looking around at screens to see if someone has a better calibrated screen than me.
My point in bringing up the accessibility page was simply to submit it alongside their example photos.

While nobody is perfect, I suspect Displaymate is accurate (because they claim apply scientific process) in their posting that the Xs is indeed a warmer color display as compared to the X. Alongside that, the X would be considered to be more accurate to white than the X, but have a lesser display (overall) as compared to the Xs. Included in that assessment, it doesn't exactly mean that a warmer screen on an Xs makes it a defective device since they tested it to be warmer overall.

Within that, I suspect there are anomalies that truly have bad screens (including dead pixels and blotches) as well as some that may not have been calibrated correctly at the factory.

Hopefully for the majority, Apple either makes a post about their color temperature decision, or, posts and update that adjusts the overall whitepoint to match the X.

Reactions: Carb0n12 and evorc

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
The problem here is that some people here continue to believe DisplayMate analysis and review is crap and that the intentional warmer calibration is a defect and it’s their version of ‘piss yellow’. They are simply wasting their time returning a great phone in hope to find a blue screen XS Max. News flash they don’t exist!!!

My point in bringing up the accessibility page was simply to submit it alongside their example photos.

While nobody is perfect, I suspect Displaymate is accurate (because they claim apply scientific process) in their posting that the Xs is indeed a warmer color display as compared to the X. Alongside that, the X would be considered to be more accurate to white than the X, but have a lesser display (overall) as compared to the Xs. Included in that assessment, it doesn't exactly mean that a warmer screen on an Xs makes it a defective device since they tested it to be warmer overall.

Within that, I suspect there are anomalies that truly have bad screens (including dead pixels and blotches) as well as some that may not have been calibrated correctly at the factory.

Hopefully for the majority, Apple either makes a post about their color temperature decision, or, posts and update that adjusts the overall whitepoint to match the X.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Mine starts with FF and I have a warm display and hate it. If I don’t have True Tone or night shift on I want a white display!!!! Enough said. This is another fail by Apple. Can’t believe this keeps happening year after year.

FF displays are LG Quite likely Unofficially. All the FF displays at the Apple store were piss yellow. Compared to my FK

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The problem here is that some people here continue to believe DisplayMate analysis and review is crap and that the intentional warmer calibration is a defect and it’s their version of ‘piss yellow’. They are simply wasting their time returning a great phone in hope to find a blue screen XS Max. News flash they don’t exist!!!

People get emotional over these devices, they are a big part of many peoples lives, so I kinda understand it. That said, I don't know what others intend to do, as I fail to understand the emotion, and vitriol over a minor change in color temperature. Apple has a history (regardless of emotional opinion) of warming or cooling color temperature on new devices.

That said, there will always be outlying extreme examples with poor calibration, and true hardware issues, however the overall change is rarely a big issue in itself.

Reactions: evorc

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
When did I ever say I’m an expert, have facts, state that anything means anything, or judge people? I didn’t. Just posting an opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.