Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eee1111

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
Lol can’t believe the amount of responses this pointless thread has already. The XS Max is warmer than the X and that is known. Where exactly are the so called piss yellow XS Max phones? Pics or it didn’t happen!!!

there are a bunch in this topic

comb!

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Lol can’t believe the amount of responses this pointless thread has already. The XS Max is warmer than the X and that is known. Where exactly are the so called piss yellow XS Max phones? Pics or it didn’t happen!!!
So pointless you found your way here just to comment and add to the pointlessness of it all...
[doublepost=1537830487][/doublepost]
It worked last year with the X. The serial was G6 at the store. Sure enough G6 that I got was perfect. I’m never pre ordering again. I’ll wait until I see display models and pick up in store. Will give this a try tomorrow and if they can’t do it I’ll either keep mine or return it, and return to my Pixel 2.

It’s not a coincidence in my mind all the perfect store models have the same factory.
Where are you seeing the G0?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

LOL known according to who? The displaymate measurements for their phone were almost identical to the X. People in this thread are comparing their X to an obviously wrong temperatured XS Max. So in other words, some are good some are bad. Just like every year.

Heres the pic in case you can't figure out how to find it yourself:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...llow-tint-xs-max.2140260/page-4#post-26538105

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
LOL known according to who? The displaymate measurements for their phone were almost identical to the X. People in this thread are comparing their X to an obviously wrong temperatured XS Max. So in other words, some are good some are bad. Just like every year.

Heres the pic in case you can't figure out how to find it yourself:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...llow-tint-xs-max.2140260/page-4#post-26538105

Yes I know how to search. You are something else lol. I also happen to be a software engineer, is that technical enough for you?

That’s piss yellow to you? Sure it’s warmer but that is not piss yellow sorry. You just need to stop buying Apple iPhones simple as that.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
A family member got a XS max and it honestly looks pretty good to me

No color shift inconsistency i can observe from tilting it looking from the bottom up

It is warmer than my X, but it looks better than my buddy’s XS did. And it is a good amount brighter than my X too

Then again, my family usually get amazing panels and they wouldn’t even necessarily know if they didnt :p

Still I’m happy for them!

But i dont doubt there are nasty displays out there. I dont doubt it for a second I feel like Ive seen at least one XS Max that was meh at Best bUy That could be the norm

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Yes I know how to search. You are something else lol. I also happen to be a software engineer, is that technical enough for you?

That’s piss yellow to you? Sure it’s warmer but that is not piss yellow sorry. You just need to stop buying Apple iPhones simple as that.

This poster said his was yellow. Others said theirs were piss yellow. And the fact is that screens like the X on the left exist. Almost every display phone at an Apple store will match the X on the left. The ones that dont are getting swapped out as we speak. By end of the week, no yellow screen Apple store display phones will exist.

All Im saying is insist on what is on display. Anything less is bait and switch.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
FF are the serial # of the one that I think is pretty decent uniformity wise

Glass screen protectors on both so camera is sorta making up some weird pink tinge in left of mine and weird stuff on the right

But looks like a good panel to me

It’s no doubt warmer but brighter and I don’t see color shift or anything obviously terrible about the max

Attachments

• FCFF696F-B9CB-4AAE-AA13-7A1C83FE9277.jpeg
    FCFF696F-B9CB-4AAE-AA13-7A1C83FE9277.jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 350

praxis219

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018

So am I. Does that make you or me an authority on OLED panels all of a sudden? Unless you're blind it's pretty evident there's a huge variation on color temperatures on these screens.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
So am I. Does that make you or me an authority on OLED panels all of a sudden? Unless you're blind it's pretty evident there's a huge variation on color temperatures on these screens.

Did you even read before sticking your nose with my point to him. He implied I cannot do a simple search smh.

I’m done with this pointless thread. Go ahead return your phone 20 times. You will be the same people complaining on the next model while claiming Xs max is not yellow next year. Just like you guys did on the X last year and all the sudden it’s the proper blue display this year? You guys crack me up. Apple should seriously ban you if you return your phone more than three times and just give you a refund.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Did you even read before sticking your nose with my point to him. He implied I cannot do a simple search smh.

I’m done with this pointless thread. Go ahead return your phone 20 times. You will be the same people complaining on the next model while claiming Xs max is not yellow next year. Just like you guys did on the X last year and all the sudden it’s the proper blue display this year? You guys crack me up. Apple should seriously ban you if you return your phone more than three times and just give you a refund.

Dude are you really not getting it? You are literally proving my point. The fact that good X screens exist is exactly the point.

There is extreme panel variability around launch. Let me explain: not every XS screen is identical. There are differences. This is especially pronounced around launch. This is also the same for every iPhone launch since the 3GS.

The guy who posted a pic got a good X screen. Many others around launch of the X, including myself, got bad X screens. I went to an 8+, but the good X screens started showing up around December last year. Since then, the majority have been good, so thats why you see there are good X screens up for comparison. If you recall, at that time, I said that would happen, and you yourself claimed that the X was simply warmer that year. You were wrong. Just like you are wrong this year.

This year, just like every year, there are a big chunk of launch phones that suck. Some launch phones are good. People with the crap displays can try for a swap or wait about 6 weeks for the good screens to increase in numbers.

Hope that makes sense. Being a software engineer, i'm surprised I have to break this down in so much detail for you.

Last edited:

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013

They actually do keep track. One year, I believed I had one yellow screen after another. I had a store employee that they were noting in the genius notes how many times I had brought my phone back and they could see I had gone to another Apple store. I stopped looking for the “perfect” screen. They will just refuse to exchange. That is what I was told at that time. You get marked as a problem customer.

Reactions: evorc

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
It is funny, everybody at works laughs at me every year because I always order 2 phones in case there are issues with one. This year again I am happy I did order 2. The first one I opened had a chip out of the gold steel band at the bottom and the colour was yellow on the bottom, pink at the top (this went back for a refund). The 2nd one I opened was uniform, very vibrant, possibly a little warmer than my X however I couldn't compare as I sold it a few weeks ago. In some light it looks very cool and in other light it looks warm but then I put it next to a piece of white paper and it looks the same warm tone so it is definitely the light in the room. I always have true tone off as I hate it.

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
I tend to think it’s variation too

But where that could go out the window is if they use multiple
Manufacturers.

I wish a tear down of XS or max would reveal if it’s samsung lg or both

X was just Samsung
The XS and XS Max are both Samsung. If you read all the articles carefully none of them can confirm that the deal went through. It still pending status as of right now.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
They actually do keep track. One year, I believed I had one yellow screen after another. I had a store employee that they were noting in the genius notes how many times I had brought my phone back and they could see I had gone to another Apple store. I stopped looking for the “perfect” screen. They will just refuse to exchange. That is what I was told at that time. You get marked as a problem customer.
It is case by case and depends on A) the store and B) how you interact with people. I went through several X last year and just to be safe either confirmed everything with a genius or one of the managers. I'm generally friendly and engaging and explained my issues in detail to them. I even tell them to please stop me from exchanging / buying again if you feel I am abusing any policy. Each time they tell me it isn't a problem at all. Who knows what they put in their notes, but I've never had a problem.

But, I don't want to be "that guy." Bought two XS, returned the 2nd one. Despite my annoyance with very narrow sweet spot compared to perfect display models, will in all likelihood keep my first XS. It is warm but it is accurate. Up next to my monitor calibrated with ColorMunki Display and DisplayCAL to 6500K, the XS is identical to the monitor. Blacked out work-related bookmarks on Chrome bar. But you get the idea. Warm display is accurate, you have to get used to it.

XS.jpg

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
FF are the serial # of the one that I think is pretty decent uniformity wise

Glass screen protectors on both so camera is sorta making up some weird pink tinge in left of mine and weird stuff on the right

But looks like a good panel to me

It’s no doubt warmer but brighter and I don’t see color shift or anything obviously terrible about the max
I have FF and mine looks like that as well. Slight gradient, but that reddish yellow is there when I tilt the screen off then back again

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
It is case by case and depends on A) the store and B) how you interact with people. I went through several X last year and just to be safe either confirmed everything with a genius or one of the managers. I'm generally friendly and engaging and explained my issues in detail to them. I even tell them to please stop me from exchanging / buying again if you feel I am abusing any policy. Each time they tell me it isn't a problem at all. Who knows what they put in their notes, but I've never had a problem.

But, I don't want to be "that guy." Bought two XS, returned the 2nd one. Despite my annoyance with very narrow sweet spot compared to perfect display models, will in all likelihood keep my first XS. It is warm but it is accurate. Up next to my monitor calibrated with ColorMunki Display and DisplayCAL to 6500K, the XS is identical to the monitor. Blacked out work-related bookmarks on Chrome bar. But you get the idea. Warm display is accurate, you have to get used to it.

View attachment 788359

We aren’t taking about 6500k displays when we talk about this issue. This is about displays that are overly yellow and washed out. The color temp is probably more like 5000k.
[doublepost=1537839964][/doublepost]

There are variations. Not all xs displays are identical. That’s the point.

Reactions: Harthag

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
People who have enough time to determine the variations of yellow tint, warm colors, etc really make me laugh :D enjoying this thread! Thank you to all for making me laugh. I'm writing this from an LG phone. My screen, from what I can determine, is approximately a 6500.87208513k screen that was produced in a lower south Korean factory this year. Approximately late March of this year. I believe all 65.87208513k screens were produced on Tuesdays. Not sure after 3 months if I will return it or not to LG. It has a slight yellow/light yellow/dark yellow/very light tint from time to time. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: evorc

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I find it really hilarious that people who can afford a $1k phone take to a forum crying over a yellow screen like it's the end of times. And people are claiming it came from some "G0" factory or something? LOL on this thread.

Some people have high standards for the things they buy with their hard earned cash. Others take what they are spoon fed.

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
Some people have high standards for the things they buy with their hard earned cash. Others take what they are spoon fed.

It's ridiculous. It's. A. Phone. People are spending what some spend on apartment rent or a house payment on a phone. And they're trying to determine what color tint the screen is lol

Reactions: G5isAlive

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I have FF and mine looks like that as well. Slight gradient, but that reddish yellow is there when I tilt the screen off then back again

Do u have an x to compare To? Ya keeping the max ?

I don’t really see crazy color shift like I have on a lot of bum X’s where the slightest of angles results in a dramatically different picture

__
Why are people balking at being picky over a $1100+ device they stare at all day every day, potentially for years?

Reactions: Harthag

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
It's ridiculous. It's. A. Phone. People are spending what some spend on apartment rent or a house payment on a phone. And they're trying to determine what color tint the screen is lol

I dont really get what you are really going for here. Like you say, people are spending a lot on the phone. So by that logic you argue that they should accept mediocrity? If the phone was $50, yeah I see your point. But, like you say, its a rent or maybe even house payment. So in my mind, they should, and are, demanding perfection.

I don't get your logic when you say people are spending a ton, therefore they shouldn't care if it sucks.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
So? Just posting a photo as an example of what people perceive as warm. I calibrate all of my displays and like accuracy be it phones, monitors, or TVs. I use my phone for work all the time and use white backgrounds all the time. That's how I notice it. If iOS was half as featured as Android there would be a dark theme for Safari and iMessage for starters, among other apps, and it wouldn't be as big of an issue to me. I digress...good luck all with your search.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.