Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Update: i spoke with apple all morning and they know this issue they said a lot are saying this and they said an update should change the oled hue but when that happenes who knows its so bugging me i have to tint my phone to get nice hue

Curious....so what did you change? Turned True Tone off and then Color Filters On and adjusted the Hue under Color Tint?

I know people are saying the color filters add a color filter layer on top, potentially affecting other colors ....but what if you don't touch the ones at the top (greyscale/r/g/b/y) and just adjust the Color Tint? Isn't this adding a color layer? Or just adjusting the current tint?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
No. We don't. You haven't been paying attention over the years to this. I have. It doesn't matter if you call it b grade panels or manufacturing variability, the fact is that at launch time there are significantly more yellow and off tone panels then there are 6 weeks after launch every year. This year is no different, and the more sycophants try to justify, the more this issue will never go away. Only by refusing to accept an inferior display will Apple ever change, and ensure all panels are up to snuff vs. being comfortable with loose tolerances at launch.

First off, you are making this more personal than it needs to be. Secondly, it has been reported (Even here on Macrumors News) in some of the examples you listed that Apple went with a warmer color palette on some of the devices. For instance the 3GS was and is always warmer than the 3G, the iPad 3 was in is always warmer than the iPad 2, there are other examples of this on laptops and other devices such as iPods. No official report on the warmer color on the Xs line yet, but it is still early and people are indeed a bit hyper sensitive about any possible defects.

As a photographer I deal with calibrated displays daily, I know what I am getting with those. The iPhone is not sold as a calibrated display, so minor variances between devices are a non issue. I will join you in being frustrated if and when they sell the iPhone XI Max Pro Color, but until then, it's just a consumer device with normal manufacturing variances.

We disagree, no matter what label you would like to throw on it.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
First off, you are making this more personal than it needs to be. Secondly, it has been reported (Even here on Macrumors News) in some of the examples you listed that Apple went with a warmer color palette on some of the devices. For instance the 3GS was and is always warmer than the 3G, the iPad 3 was in is always warmer than the iPad 2, there are other examples of this on laptops and other devices such as iPods. No official report on the warmer color on the Xs line yet, but it is still early and people are indeed a bit hyper sensitive about any possible defects.

As a photographer I deal with calibrated displays daily, I know what I am getting with those. The iPhone is not sold as a calibrated display, so minor variances between devices are a non issue. I will join you in being frustrated if and when they sell the iPhone XI Max Pro Color, but until then, it's just a consumer device with normal manufacturing variances.

We disagree, no matter what label you would like to throw on it.

Apple never went with warmer pallets. The people who claimed that simply happened to get crappy screen examples. Every Apple device has more examples of the cooler screens than yellow. Launch always skews yellow, and I think its due to relaxed standards to meet demand. And people like you let them get away with it.

Why would they change? Even with the evidence right in front of your face you and others don't seem to care. Apples getting away w it year after year.

Last edited:

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Curious....so what did you change? Turned True Tone off and then Color Filters On and adjusted the Hue under Color Tint?

I know people are saying the color filters add a color filter layer on top, potentially affecting other colors ....but what if you don't touch the ones at the top (greyscale/r/g/b/y) and just adjust the Color Tint? Isn't this adding a color layer? Or just adjusting the current tint?

I adjusted the color tint and only see a better white now. I’m not sure what other colors are being affected, if any, but it sure has made a huge difference with my screen. It’s such a massive improvement there is no way I’ll switch it back.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Ok placed a second order under the iUP for another XS. I’ll compare and keep the better of the two. Hopefully this doesn’t mess up my “trade in” X from the iUP program.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I adjusted the color tint and only see a better white now. I’m not sure what other colors are being affected, if any, but it sure has made a huge difference with my screen. It’s such a massive improvement there is no way I’ll switch it back.

Return it and try for a better panel, or return it and wait 6 weeks for the better screens to arrive in bulk.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
I feel the True Tone is a little more aggressive on the Max but for me it's not really an issue as I find the warmer screen to cause less strain.

Side by side with the X it's clear the Max has a better display with better color range. Pretty impressive really. I wasn't really sold on the Max until I got it home and did some comparisons and used it over the weekend.

USC_Gamecock

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
HTX
No. We don't. You haven't been paying attention over the years to this. I have. It doesn't matter if you call it b grade panels or manufacturing variability, the fact is that at launch time there are significantly more yellow and off tone panels then there are 6 weeks after launch every year. This year is no different, and the more sycophants try to justify, the more this issue will never go away. Only by refusing to accept an inferior display will Apple ever change, and ensure all panels are up to snuff vs. being comfortable with loose tolerances at launch.

Until you have hard evidence to prove this, your post is BS. A sample size of 10, or even 200, won't do. When you can talk in terms issue per yield/day, then come back to us. Until then, save us from your Wal-Mart grade analysis of screen "issues" by not posting them.
[doublepost=1537814093][/doublepost]
OMG are you serious? When the X came out is was the same yellow tint! People like you said its super accurate! And now you are saying the X is white. Guess what - there are two X screens. One is white the other is yellow. Same as every iPhone. Thats the point! Reject the yellow versions! There WILL be "white" XS and XS max displays, I'e already seen them. in 6 weeks, 95% will be the "white" versions.
[doublepost=1537811040][/doublepost]

Yeah, EXACTLY MY POINT

Dude -- you need to get tested for Xanthopsia. This sounds like a YOU problem that a medical visit may fix.

Reactions: iScone

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Picked up a 2nd XS a bit ago and it is better than the 1st one. White is still warm but not abnormal. 1st one slightly shifts to blue / slight magenta at a slight tilt. This 2nd one slightly shifts to just blue and has a little bit of a wider viewing angle when tilting both side to side and vertically with slightly less aggressive shift. It is a little better overall compared to the 1st. Both are equally bright side by side at max brightness. In my experience the best screens are those that slightly shift to blue only. Entirely subjective. Keeping this 2nd one and getting on with life.

@kre62 - I'm not so sure things get better after launch. Not saying you're wrong, just posting my experience. I went through multiple iPhone X in January 2018 and many had awful pink tints and pink edges, and rapid multi-color shift when tilting the phone slightly. It was like the earliest OLEDs from Samsung. Based on my sample size of 2 XS phones and viewing a few store models of the XS, things - generally - look much better with the XS in terms of screen quality compared the X last year. Just my subjective view.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Until you have hard evidence to prove this, your post is BS. A sample size of 10, or even 200, won't do. When you can talk in terms issue per yield/day, then come back to us. Until then, save us from your Wal-Mart grade analysis of screen "issues" by not posting them.
[doublepost=1537814093][/doublepost]

Dude -- you need to get tested for Xanthopsia. This sounds like a YOU problem that a medical visit may fix.

I'll leave it to the journalists. Theres been a ton of threads over the years with pics and evidence galore. Go read them if you want.

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
@kre62 - I'm not so sure things get better after launch. Not saying you're wrong, just posting my experience.

When the 6S Plus came out I went through 5 of them because of the screen blotch that was on almost every phone including the display models in the stores. It took Apple a few months before this was fixed, so this sort of change in production does happen.

See: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-be-addressed-in-a-hardware-revision.1922339/

However with the Max and the X last year I was pretty impressed with the quality control and it seems Apple is doing a lot better with unit consistency.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Serious question for the people complaining about color shift, how often do you hold the phone at an angle while using it? I understand that you don't like that it changes with different angles but is that really an issue?

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can return a phone purchased directly from AT&T to an Apple store. You will have to take it back to where you purchased it from.
Yeah that is why i'm saying they should return it to the first store, pay the restocking fee, and dont buy it from there again. Instead buy from apple rather than buying and paying multiple restocking fees.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
When the 6S Plus came out I went through 5 of them because of the screen blotch that was on almost every phone including the display models in the stores. It took Apple a few months before this was fixed, so this sort of change in production does happen.

See: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-be-addressed-in-a-hardware-revision.1922339/

However with the Max and the X last year I was pretty impressed with the quality control and it seems Apple is doing a lot better with unit consistency.
I had the exact same issue with my 6S Plus! Luckily, the second unit was fine...
However, I have to disagree with you about your statement on the X: last year I had to go through at least 5-6 units before I got a decent one! There were so many issues with yellow tint, pink edges, horrendous tint shift, etc. I would say every year it’s more or less the same, it all comes down to luck.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Serious question for the people complaining about color shift, how often do you hold the phone at an angle while using it? I understand that you don't like that it changes with different angles but is that really an issue?

Its not so much as holding at an angle. Even a shift a few millimeters, like readjusting my hand or w.e., the color shift is blatantly obvious. It goes towards a cooler blue color and then when face on, warm yellowish red. Its more distracting than anything.

Reactions: MVallee

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
Its not so much as holding at an angle. Even a shift a few millimeters, like readjusting my hand or w.e., the color shift is blatantly obvious. It goes towards a cooler blue color and then when face on, warm yellowish red. Its more distracting than anything.

Yup exactly, its moving it ever so slightly thats causes the shift. I ordered another one, hopefully that one wont have it but I know sometimes this is just a quality of OLED.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Apple never went with warmer pallets. The people who claimed that simply happened to get crappy screen examples. Every Apple device has more examples of the cooler screens than yellow. Launch always skews yellow, and I think its due to relaxed standards to meet demand. And people like you let them get away with it.

Why would they change? Even with the evidence right in front of your face you and others don't seem to care. Apples getting away w it year after year.

Not sure why they warm up the color temperature, however they have done in the past and it has been documented. There are other examples in Apple's device history.

Note the warmer color temperature.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ipad-3-benchmark-review,3156-4.html
Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 1.04.40 PM.png

For whatever reason the website is down, however the same result is searchable via Google.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 2.18.31 PM.png

The first post of this thread also confirms the findings and what was published on Toms hardware at the time.

On the subject of the Xs Max, it appears that Displaymate has reviewed it as having an overall warmer whitepoint than the X. Again I doubt it is a defect, nor that they have a B-Grade panel, I suspect it is a calibration decision by Apple, something that could likely be fixed with a different profile installed to the device via Software update, if Apple decided to do so.

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 2.38.24 PM.png

iPhone X

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 2.34.15 PM.png

iPhone Xs Max

Note the .04 JNCD over the .2 on the X, which indicates a perceivable difference over true white.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Not sure why they warm up the color temperature, however they have done in the past and it has been documented. There are other examples in Apple's device history.

Note the warmer color temperature.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ipad-3-benchmark-review,3156-4.html
View attachment 788070

For whatever reason the website is down, however the same result is searchable via Google.

View attachment 788130

The first post of this thread also confirms the findings and what was published on Toms hardware at the time.

On the subject of the Xs Max, it appears that Displaymate has reviewed it as having an overall warmer whitepoint than the X. Again I doubt it is a defect, nor that they have a B-Grade panel, I suspect it is a calibration decision by Apple, something that could likely be fixed with a different profile installed to the device via Software update, if Apple decided to do so.

View attachment 788141
iPhone X

View attachment 788142
iPhone Xs Max

Note the .04 JNCD over the .2 on the X.

I have no doubt the displaymate phone looks fine. This, however is not the issue in this thread. The issue is that a big chunk of launch day phones are more like 4000K - piss yellow. Happens every year. My point on the calibration is that this is not a calibration thing, it's a defect thing.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I have no doubt the displaymate phone looks fine. This, however is not the issue in this thread. The issue is that a big chunk of launch day phones are more like 4000K - piss yellow. Happens every year. My point on the calibration is that this is not a calibration thing, it's a defect thing.
I provide facts, you have provided nothing more than a bias and unsubstantiated opinion.

I think we are back to disagreeing and I am okay with that.

Enjoy your day, and hopefully you get a phone you can enjoy.

Reactions: AdamA9

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I provide facts, you have provided nothing more than a bias and unsubstantiated opinion.

I think we are back to disagreeing and I am okay with that.

Enjoy your day, and hopefully you get a phone you can enjoy.

So are you saying that every single XS Max phone has an identical screen temperature?

I've already seen examples with grossly incorrect temps and some were posted in this thread. I've also seen people in this thread exchange for a new phone and get one with a different temp, one that is closer to their X. Do you not take that into account? Are you even reading this thread? Are you calling these people liars?

Tell me what you believe:

1) There are not any variations in color temps and all iPhone XS screens are identical
2) There are variations, and one set of screens leans cooler like post launch day iPhone X, with the others leaning more yellow (<6500k temp) and the yellow ones are defects
3) There are variations, and the cooler, whiter screens are the defects and yellow is the real version

Which one do you believe?

Eduardmc

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
This might be new. I was in best buy a few hours ago, there was one demo of the max and i compare temp and brighness with mine. White point were about equal. But mine was around 15-20% brighter at max brightness. Something u might want to also look into. Both phones were cold to the touch just in case someone want to point out that when an iphone heat up. It lower its max brightness. I even asked the BB rep to reboot the phone and after reboot. Max brightness did not change

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
So are you saying that every single XS Max phone has an identical screen temperature?

I've already seen examples with grossly incorrect temps and some were posted in this thread. I've also seen people in this thread exchange for a new phone and get one with a different temp, one that is closer to their X. Do you not take that into account? Are you even reading this thread? Are you calling these people liars?

Tell me what you believe:

1) There are not any variations in color temps and all iPhone XS screens are identical
2) There are variations, and one set of screens leans cooler like post launch day iPhone X, with the others leaning more yellow (<6500k temp) and the yellow ones are defects
3) There are variations, and the cooler, whiter screens are the defects and yellow is the real version

Which one do you believe?

The answer to all 3 of your questions are publicly viewable within my previous posts.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
You actually have no way of proving that this year the phone displays are (or will be) better since they haven't actually been made yet and aren't in peoples hands. Just saying.

Reactions: 840quadra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.