Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
I’m not being rude to you I just mean “shut you up” as an expression, as in like any customer support rep tries to do as the end goal is to get you off the phone somewhat satisfied or at least the session ending. Even if it means making things up or alluding to future software fixes that may or may not happen.

I personally appreciate threads like this and certainly don’t share the sentiment to want to “shut you up” . If that’s what you wondering
Sorry i saw it differently :)
[doublepost=1537807316][/doublepost]
I think the reason media does not dig into it more is because in this case, it really is not news.

It is quite possible that Apple made the change to a warmer white to counteract all of the bickering over blue (cooler) screens on last year's X. Or, more likely reduced the output of blue pixels to help with overall panel longevity (making the overall image warmer). Despite the advances in the tech, Blue organic diodes still tend to have lower lifespan and are more prone to failure. I would understand high amounts media of vitriol over this subject if Apple was selling us a calibrated screen with both a color temperature guarantee including some type of certificate, however at the end of the day they are still consumer devices.

I am just thankful that in day ~3 now, we aren't seeing screen issues like the Pixel 2 XL had on it's launch day.

With regards to the new iPhones, Mine looks a touch warmer than my X, but that phone also looked a touch cooler than my 7 it replaced. I can understand it is a visual difference, and it bothers some, but I haven't seen a post where a screen truly is yellow in the same extreme like some of the true tinting issues that some older iBook, Powerbook, iMac, and MacBooks have seen.

I can't say it isn't an issue for some, but I personally think the few potential issues we have on here are a far cry from any type of Displaygate™ .
Its just once you notice it you cant stop even tinting slight makes it look so much nicer its frustrating
[doublepost=1537807582][/doublepost]Also ive found when phones cold its whiter soon as you use it and heata up it goes more yellow
[doublepost=1537807703][/doublepost]Another major issue the screen brightness goes down after 5min on the phone its like it dims once it is doing something turning it of the brightness is fine soon as using it goes dimmer and this is with auto brightness turned off

Reactions: thadoggfather

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
So I’ve never had a single issue with a phone until this one on my new Xs Max. My screen has a warm/yellow tint to it and I can literally slowly angle the phone up and down and watch it change from yellow to blue, but directly forward it’s a yellow tint. I’ve compared with display phones at the AT&T store and my friends Xs Max and mine is noticeably more yellow but it also is brighter than the three phones I compared it to.

I purchased the phone from AT&T, I’ve heard they charge a $45 restock fee for exchanges. Should I take it into apple and see if they will replace without a fee? Or keep spending $45 restocking fee’s on exchanges until I get a good screen? It kind of blows because I haven’t had any other issues reported with the phone other than this really warm/yellow display, True Tone is off, night shift is off, and into brightness is off.

Other than the display issue the phone seems great. Any advice guys?
Assuming you might have to return multiple times, just return it and buy directly from apple store that way if you have to return again, there is no restocking fee.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Assuming you might have to return multiple times, just return it and buy directly from apple store that way if you have to return again, there is no restocking fee.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can return a phone purchased directly from AT&T to an Apple store. You will have to take it back to where you purchased it from.

Last edited:

felsee

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Hello everyone!!

I got my new iphone Xs last friday here in Vienna (Austria). Compared to my 6s Plus I immediately noticed the slightly more yellow tint of the Xs screen after unboxing. It got better after turning off true tone, but it still kinda bothered me over the weekend....1319 Euros (1550 USD) for the 256 gb version the phone better be perfect.... So I went to the apple store today and compared my Xs to all the Xs & Xs max phones (about 8 iPhones in total), which were on display. I was actually surprised that all the screens slightly differed from each other. The more yellow screens (like on my xs) were much brighter at the same time whereas the cooler looking screens seemed to be less bright. I did not find THE perfect screen. They all had "pros and cons". Some were more yellow, some were a little darker in the "corners" etc. Now I can't really decide if I should return my Xs or not. Still have 11 days left for the return but I might just stick with the one I have. In 2015 I had to return my almost 5000 Euro customized macbook pro 5 times in total via the apple online store until I finally received one with a perfect screen...it's just sickening + time-consuming and why not choose a brighter phone with a slightly yellow tint over a less brighter one with a cooler tone. After all Paper itself is rather yellow tinted and I couldn't see any effects of the yellow tint on other colors when watching videos or taking photos...

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
So I’ve never had a single issue with a phone until this one on my new Xs Max. My screen has a warm/yellow tint to it and I can literally slowly angle the phone up and down and watch it change from yellow to blue, but directly forward it’s a yellow tint. I’ve compared with display phones at the AT&T store and my friends Xs Max and mine is noticeably more yellow but it also is brighter than the three phones I compared it to.

This is my exact experience. I had a chance to visit a couple of carrier stores today and compared. My Max is more warm/yellow than the two I saw today, but mine was also brighter. I need to go to the Apple store where they have more on display to compare to, but I think I’ll be purchasing a second one and keeping the best of 2. Hopefully it’s only 2.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I think the reason media does not dig into it more is because in this case, it really is not news.

It is quite possible that Apple made the change to a warmer white to counteract all of the bickering over blue (cooler) screens on last year's X. Or, more likely reduced the output of blue pixels to help with overall panel longevity (making the overall image warmer). Despite the advances in the tech, Blue organic diodes still tend to have lower lifespan and are more prone to failure. I would understand high amounts media of vitriol over this subject if Apple was selling us a calibrated screen with both a color temperature guarantee including some type of certificate, however at the end of the day they are still consumer devices.

I am just thankful that in day ~3 now, we aren't seeing screen issues like the Pixel 2 XL had on it's launch day.

With regards to the new iPhones, Mine looks a touch warmer than my X, but that phone also looked a touch cooler than my 7 it replaced. I can understand it is a visual difference, and it bothers some, but I haven't seen a post where a screen truly is yellow in the same extreme like some of the true tinting issues that some older iBook, Powerbook, iMac, and MacBooks have seen.

I can't say it isn't an issue for some, but I personally think the few potential issues we have on here are a far cry from any type of Displaygate™ .

It is news. It's variation in displays. Not all displays are the same. Its amazing people dont understand this. They are pushing bad displays on people in addition to what they should be, and counting on Apple sheep to not question. The bad, yellow, displays are not intentional calibration. It's using cheap panels for some phones, and good panels for others.

Reactions: AdamA9

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can return a phone purchased directly from AT&T to an Apple store. You will have to take it back to where you purchased it from.

I think they meant return it with AT&T and then go through apple to purchase the Xs Max again, which is what I might do.

george999

macrumors regular
May 15, 2016
My xs max is definitely uniformly warmer than my 7 plus. Would I have noticed if I didn’t compare? No

Now I’m pissed this thread made me notice!!!

Reactions: MyMacintosh

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
It is news. It's variation in displays. Not all displays are the same. Its amazing people dont understand this. They are pushing bad displays on people in addition to what they should be, and counting on Apple sheep to not question. The bad, yellow, displays are not intentional calibration. It's using cheap panels for some phones, and good panels for others.

Do you have part numbers, build dates, or other supporting evidence to support your claim of them using "cheap" panels in some phones?

Again, these aren't calibrated tools, they are consumer devices with absolutely normal variances in manufacturing.

Reactions: george999

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I think I’m gonna order a second XS thru the iUP and go get it tonight and compare it too my current phone and see if I’m still getting the hue shift. I find it incredibly annoying when texting. I was definitely spoiled with my X, that screen was perfect.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
This is my exact experience. I had a chance to visit a couple of carrier stores today and compared. My Max is more warm/yellow than the two I saw today, but mine was also brighter. I need to go to the Apple store where they have more on display to compare to, but I think I’ll be purchasing a second one and keeping the best of 2. Hopefully it’s only 2.

It does seem like most people with a warmer/yellow screen have a brighter screen than the more cool/blue screens...I can’t decide if I want to play the lottery with the phone. Other than the display my phone seems great.

Reactions: MVallee

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Do you have part numbers, build dates, or other supporting evidence to support your claim of them using "cheap" panels in some phones?

Again, these aren't calibrated tools, they are consumer devices with absolutely normal variances in manufacturing.

I tend to think it’s variation too

But where that could go out the window is if they use multiple
Manufacturers.

I wish a tear down of XS or max would reveal if it’s samsung lg or both

X was just Samsung

Reactions: 840quadra

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Thats why we need investigative journalists to take this on. This issue is greatest at launch every year since the 3GS. Its clear there are relaxed standards during this time.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Went to the Apple store yesterday, compared my 8 (non plus) to several Maxes, my 8 was about the same brightness but the Maxes were definitely warmer, all of them. And yes, of course I turned off True Tone on all of them.

Every single freaking year the screens get warmer, it HAS to come back the other direction at some point. Then again I said that last year and here we are. At some point the "warmer screens are more color correct" crowd has to acknowledge that we are past that point. If we were "color correct" when the 7 came out, then what were we last year? If we were "color correct" last year, then what are we this year? Can't be "color correct" every single year the screens get warmer and warmer.

My 8 has a beautiful display for sure, but I'd kill to have the cool screen of my 6 back, slightly oversaturated colors and all. That screen took the cake from a pure visual bliss standpoint IMO.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Went to the Apple store yesterday, compared my 8 (non plus) to several Maxes, my 8 was about the same brightness but the Maxes were definitely warmer, all of them. And yes, of course I turned off True Tone on all of them.

Every single freaking year the screens get warmer, it HAS to come back the other direction at some point. Then again I said that last year and here we are. At some point the "warmer screens are more color correct" crowd has to acknowledge that we are past that point. If we were "color correct" when the 7 came out, then what were we last year? If we were "color correct" last year, then what are we this year? Can't be "color correct" every single year the screens get warmer and warmer.

My 8 has a beautiful display for sure, but I'd kill to have the cool screen of my 6 back, slightly oversaturated colors and all. That screen took the cake from a pure visual bliss standpoint IMO.

Its not that they are intentionally warmer, its that the initial batch tends warmer. The cooler XS Max screens are out there and more are coming, just like every year. There are plenty of iPhone X phones in the wild now with cool screens, when at launch many were yellow as well.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I tend to think it’s variation too

But where that could go out the window is if they use multiple
Manufacturers.

I wish a tear down of XS or max would reveal if it’s samsung lg or both

X was just Samsung

Agreed, would be nice to know that for sure!

I think we are dealing with
a) A warmer default color temperature on the new phones
b) Some phones have an even warmer display due to manufacturing issues and or variances.

I fully expect we have a few with truly bad screens, but I don't think it is anything newsworthy. Multiple DOA phones, exploding batteries, half working screens, multiple phones sold at wrong capacity, now those would be more newsworthy.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Agreed, would be nice to know that for sure!

I think we are dealing with
a) A warmer default color temperature on the new phones
b) Some phones have an even warmer display due to manufacturing issues and or variances.

I fully expect we have a few with truly bad screens, but I don't think it is anything newsworthy. Multiple DOA phones, exploding batteries, half working screens, multiple phones sold at wrong capacity, now those would be more newsworthy.

A is categorically false. People try to claim this every year. Its simply not true. The cooler screens that match the cooler screens of the iPhone X, 8+,8,7+,7,6s+,6s,6+,6,5s,5,4s,4 and 3GS are out there and more are coming.

Also, there are examples of the same exact yellow tint on the following iPhone models:
iPhone X, 8+,8,7+,7,6s+,6s,6+,6,5s,5,4s,4 and 3GS

Get it yet? Check my post history. I've battled this since 2009.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
A is categorically false. People try to claim this every year. Its simply not true. The cooler screens that match the cooler screens of the iPhone X, 8+,8,7+,7,6s+,6s,6+,6,5s,5,4s,4 and 3GS are out there and more are coming.

Also, there are examples of the same exact yellow tint on the following iPhone models:
iPhone X, 8+,8,7+,7,6s+,6s,6+,6,5s,5,4s,4 and 3GS

Get it yet? Check my post history. I've battled this since 2009.
Sounds more like a personal (and self supporting) vendetta, than it does a true problem.

We agree to disagree.

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona

I truly agree. Going to the X which I have and have tried many in stores, the X if anything has that very blue white feel to it like the iPhone 4s. I bought my fiancé the SE 2 years ago, and immediately thought 'yuk how yellow' compared to the 4s which I had at the time. When comparing video & photos side by side, the SE had a far superior colour accuracy.

Today I was using her SE for a few minutes and what struck me was how pleasant the white were in on it - music app, calendar, iMessages etc. If anything, it was accurate and very comfortable on the eyes.

I really think that the X was too white so I simply feel that Apple have got closer to accuracy on the XS. Typing on my MacBook Retina & older MacBook and the whites are nothing like the white of the X - i'd say more yellow that blue white.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Sounds more like a personal (and self supporting) vendetta, than it does a true problem.

We agree to disagree.

No. We don't. You haven't been paying attention over the years to this. I have. It doesn't matter if you call it b grade panels or manufacturing variability, the fact is that at launch time there are significantly more yellow and off tone panels then there are 6 weeks after launch every year. This year is no different, and the more sycophants try to justify, the more this issue will never go away. Only by refusing to accept an inferior display will Apple ever change, and ensure all panels are up to snuff vs. being comfortable with loose tolerances at launch.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I truly agree. Going to the X which I have and have tried many in stores, the X if anything has that very blue white feel to it like the iPhone 4s. I bought my fiancé the SE 2 years ago, and immediately thought 'yuk how yellow' compared to the 4s which I had at the time. When comparing video & photos side by side, the SE had a far superior colour accuracy.

Today I was using her SE for a few minutes and what struck me was how pleasant the white were in on it - music app, calendar, iMessages etc. If anything, it was accurate and very comfortable on the eyes.

I really think that the X was too white so I simply feel that Apple have got closer to accuracy on the XS. Typing on my MacBook Retina & older MacBook and the whites are nothing like the white of the X - i'd say more yellow that blue white.

OMG are you serious? When the X came out is was the same yellow tint! People like you said its super accurate! And now you are saying the X is white. Guess what - there are two X screens. One is white the other is yellow. Same as every iPhone. Thats the point! Reject the yellow versions! There WILL be "white" XS and XS max displays, I'e already seen them. in 6 weeks, 95% will be the "white" versions.
[doublepost=1537811040][/doublepost]
We always get these threads every year but they seem to go quiet after 6 weeks or so...

Yeah, EXACTLY MY POINT

BODYBUILDERPAUL

Suspended
Feb 9, 2009
Barcelona
No. We don't. You haven't been paying attention over the years to this. I have. It doesn't matter if you call it b grade panels or manufacturing variability, the fact is that at launch time there are significantly more yellow and off tone panels then there are 6 weeks after launch every year. This year is no different, and the more sycophants try to justify, the more this issue will never go away. Only by refusing to accept an inferior display will Apple ever change, and ensure all panels are up to snuff vs. being comfortable with loose tolerances at launch.
Surely the wise idea is to wait until December for a new iPhone? That's what my friends tend to do and none of us ever have bad experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.