Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
The answer to all 3 of your questions are publicly viewable within my previous posts.

3 questions? I made 3 statements an am asking which one you agree with. Pick a number.
[doublepost=1537820150][/doublepost]
You actually have no way of proving that this year the phone displays are (or will be) better since they haven't actually been made yet and aren't in peoples hands. Just saying.

Well, several people have had good luck with swaps, same as past years

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
This might be new. I was in best buy a few hours ago, there was one demo of the max and i compare temp and brighness with mine. White point were about equal. But mine was around 15-20% brighter at max brightness. Something u might want to also look into. Both phones were cold to the touch just in case someone want to point out that when an iphone heat up. It lower its max brightness. I even asked the BB rep to reboot the phone and after reboot. Max brightness did not change

Nah, doesn't mean anything. Most likely auto brightness was on the demo model which is going to keep it at a lower max bright level.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
My 512 GB XS is warmer than my X as well. What’s worse is that mine shipped with a pretty deep nick in the glass in the lower left hand corner (ordered from Apple online). Didn’t notice until the restore from my backup was done. Contacted Apple Support Friday and have Genius appointment tomorrow hopefully for a replacement (we will see). Pain to have to unpair everything and set up again but it s not a slight scratch. It’s a nick that can be felt with fingernail.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
So I picked up a second one today, and the display is exactly the same as the one I have. I think that's just the way they are. Maybe they will be different in another batch down the road, maybe not. Either way, with the color tint adjusted on my original the screen is exactly how I think it should look and I'm happy with that.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
My 512 GB XS is warmer than my X as well. What’s worse is that mine shipped with a pretty deep nick in the glass in the lower left hand corner (ordered from Apple online). Didn’t notice until the restore from my backup was done. Contacted Apple Support Friday and have Genius appointment tomorrow hopefully for a replacement (we will see). Pain to have to unpair everything and set up again but it s not a slight scratch. It’s a nick that can be felt with fingernail.

Dont genius swap, retail return and retail rebuy, trust me on this. You genius swap and you lose the option to ever return the iPhone. So if you decide you don't want the screen temps of the first batch you are SOL.

I have had better luck with launch day genius phones than retail phones on this issue, but losing the return option makes it not worth the risk.
[doublepost=1537822605][/doublepost]
So I picked up a second one today, and the display is exactly the same as the one I have. I think that's just the way they are. Maybe they will be different in another batch down the road, maybe not. Either way, with the color tint adjusted on my original the screen is exactly how I think it should look and I'm happy with that.

Just wait til you see the oblivious hordes in a few months with perfect screens who dont even appreciate them or understand why they are good. You may feel differently.

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Lcd is better oled even the slightest move changed hue on max looking down and then tinting slight changes ips lcd is better

This. X and XS screens are garbage for everyday use. Sure, at first sight, the OLD colors look better than LCD, but the PWM and the hue changing with the slightest angle change are making OLED pretty painful for long use.

Apple instead of realizing and fixing their error with X, they seem to doubled down on it.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Dont genius swap, retail return and retail rebuy, trust me on this. You genius swap and you lose the option to ever return the iPhone. So if you decide you don't want the screen temps of the first batch you are SOL.

I have had better luck with launch day genius phones than retail phones on this issue, but losing the return option makes it not worth the risk.
[doublepost=1537822605][/doublepost]

Just wait til you see the oblivious hordes in a few months with perfect screens who dont even appreciate them or understand why they are good. You may feel differently.

I highly doubt it. With the color tint adjusted the screen is as white as it was with my iPhone X, and much whiter than my 8 Plus. I don't buy that "over time it will affect other colors" nonsense. How? It is going to continue to look good as long as I keep it like this. It isn't going to magically change color tint some day and all of a sudden look bad.

And I won't be running around asking people to compare screens. Mine looks fantastic now and that's all that really matters.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I highly doubt it. With the color tint adjusted the screen is as white as it was with my iPhone X, and much whiter than my 8 Plus. I don't buy that "over time it will affect other colors" nonsense. How? It is going to continue to look good as long as I keep it like this. It isn't going to magically change color tint some day and all of a sudden look bad.

And I won't be running around asking people to compare screens. Mine looks fantastic now and that's all that really matters.
Can you share your settings on the color tint?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Not sure you quoted the right response there, but that post was nothing about the color filters.

I will say the color filters do not look natural, and for me it was really noticeable right when I woke up. It just didn't look right. I'm not personally putting up with anything less that perfection before using filters.

Have a buddy in office with the XS Max. It had the same or even whiter color temp as my 8+. Good screens existing confirmed in person.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Same thing here. At first blush I thought my 2nd one was better as I stated in my earlier post. But they are both nearly identical. Don't feel like setting up the 2nd device so will just keep my original. If it bothers me down the road I can sell it and re-buy. Mine isn't piss yellow, just a very narrow "sweet spot" which I find annoying.

Reactions: Audiochild

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
This. X and XS screens are garbage for everyday use. Sure, at first sight, the OLD colors look better than LCD, but the PWM and the hue changing with the slightest angle change are making OLED pretty painful for long use.

Apple instead of realizing and fixing their error with X, they seem to doubled down on it.

Add the bad signal on cellular and WiFi that many are experiencing to your list. I’m definitely skipping this gen. Yellow screen, PWM, and bad cell tower connectivity. Too much bs for $1k+

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada

When you adjusted the color tint, did you notice if notifications from the top of the screen and the volume/brightness slider in control center were still warm? I tried doing the color tint and it looked better until I noticed that notifications were cream colored. I don't know why it's not applying the color tint to everything.

Reactions: thelead

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
When you adjusted the color tint, did you notice if notifications from the top of the screen and the volume/brightness slider in control center were still warm? I tried doing the color tint and it looked better until I noticed that notifications were cream colored. I don't know why it's not applying the color tint to everything.

They do not appear warm to me. I never noticed it in the control center though. Where it was noticeable was on the homescreen looking at certain apps like reminders or notes and seeing the yellow, or when I went in safari and the white was more of an off white.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I noticed this as well.

Reactions: MVallee

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Returned mine to local Apple store. Examined maybe 6 floor models of the XS. They are all what I’d consider to be perfect. Factory G0 is where they are all from. I asked if I made an appointment to buy, can they give me one starting with G0, I want what is being advertised on the floor. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and said not possible.

I don’t see why they can’t do this when I stop in to pick up a reserved phone? Oh well. Plan on keeping my original for now. Sucks.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
For those wondering what to possibly adjust it to, user ssol0408 sent me this screenshot and it helped a lot. Going to keep it this way and maybe around day 13 swap it out in hopes that its either fixed by then with a new batch, or a software update or w.e. Thanks ssol0408!

Attachments

• 2CAFA6CE-4C95-40B6-9EEA-F5B14972919C.png
    2CAFA6CE-4C95-40B6-9EEA-F5B14972919C.png
    995.1 KB · Views: 227

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Returned mine to local Apple store. Examined maybe 6 floor models of the XS. They are all what I’d consider to be perfect. Factory G0 is where they are all from. I asked if I made an appointment to buy, can they give me one starting with G0, I want what is being advertised on the floor. She looked at me like I had 2 heads and said not possible.

I don’t see why they can’t do this when I stop in to pick up a reserved phone? Oh well. Plan on keeping my original for now. Sucks.

If you get the right employee they will do it. When you go in for pickup simply ask for a G0 and many will look for one and grab it. If not, just walk when thye bring out a different one until you get a G0. You have to be tough.
[doublepost=1537828599][/doublepost]
For those wondering what to possibly adjust it to, user ssol0408 sent me this screenshot and it helped a lot. Going to keep it this way and maybe around day 13 swap it out in hopes that its either fixed by then with a new batch, or a software update or w.e. Thanks ssol0408!

Software updates to fix this have been rumored since 2009. It'll never come. And the filters are not a true fix. Get it swapped on day 13.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
That’s roughly what I use as well. You can dial it in by using night shift as well and playing with both intensities (which is what I do).

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
If you get the right employee they will do it. When you go in for pickup simply ask for a G0 and many will look for one and grab it. If not, just walk when thye bring out a different one until you get a G0. You have to be tough.
[doublepost=1537828599][/doublepost]

Software updates to fix this have been rumored since 2009. It'll never come. And the filters are not a true fix. Get it swapped on day 13.

It might be a bandage, but it works for now. Its perfect on my screen

MallardRider

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
near Los Angeles
This is the first OLED smartphone I've had (XS Max) since the Android days. My last Android smartphone was a Note 3 and has an OLED screen. When I got the Note 3, I did notice it had a warmer white color.

I think this is just an OLED thing. Without TT enabled, my XS Max display is as white as ever. I usually use it with TT on, otherwise my eyes will get tired quickly.

(for what it's worth, my XS Max has a serial number starting with FF)

reasonrulaz

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
Wondering if the Note 9 OLED is having the same issue?

No, i'm sure that Samsung solve this issue with latest flagship.. I'm used maybe all of Galaxy S series since 5th generation, and all of Note series from 2010. Also i'm used to IOS devices from iphone 4 to X...

Note 9 panel seems purified all of oled disadvantages. All of oled display "diseases" such as uneven uniformity, hue shift across the screen with vertical or horizontal tilt etc. nearly solved. I said "nearly" because, there is no panel which is totaly perfect. But i'm also looked maybe 20 or more display devices in stores. Maybe all of them seems "flawless" for a oled panel.

For a comparision, i'm changed 3 Note 8 units for find "acceptable for me" display panel last year. "Pink hue" at top or right-left side of display is most common issue for Note 8.

Since S9 series i think, Samsung change something for their "own" device panels production process.

Reactions: dazz87

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Lol can’t believe the amount of responses this pointless thread has already. The XS Max is warmer than the X and that is known. Where exactly are the so called piss yellow XS Max phones? Pics or it didn’t happen!!!

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

It worked last year with the X. The serial was G6 at the store. Sure enough G6 that I got was perfect. I’m never pre ordering again. I’ll wait until I see display models and pick up in store. Will give this a try tomorrow and if they can’t do it I’ll either keep mine or return it, and return to my Pixel 2.

It’s not a coincidence in my mind all the perfect store models have the same factory.

Reactions: praxis219

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone

Lol on a $1,099 phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.