Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I dont really get what you are really going for here. Like you say, people are spending a lot on the phone. So by that logic you argue that they should accept mediocrity? If the phone was $50, yeah I see your point. But, like you say, its a rent or maybe even house payment. So in my mind, they should, and are, demanding perfection.

I don't get your logic when you say people are spending a ton, therefore they shouldn't care if it sucks.

...Even a $50 phone if you use it enough you might care, but I woulda just dealt

So infinitely glad my $80 SE ($50+$30 prepaid sim) space grey I got a few months ago as an att clearance has the best 4” panel I have ever seen across 5/5s/se. my white 64 se ive had for years is definitely
Good too, good enough, but the one I scooped is Above that’s.

If it’s the end of the road for small iPhones I for one am glad to have an amazing one instead of a meh one

Last edited:

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
...Even a $50 phone if you use it enough you might care, but I woulda just dealt

So infinitely glad my $80 SE ($50+$30 prepaid sim) space grey I got a few months ago as an att clearance has the best 4” panel I have ever seen across 5/5s/se. my white 64 se ive had for years is definitely
Good too, good enough, but the one I scooped is Above that’s.

If it’s the end of the road for small iPhones I’m glad to have an amazing one instead of a meh one

SE is such a nice device.

Reactions: thadoggfather

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
I want to add that altogether I find the topic of colors and stuff very ironic considering the phone, like I said, is $1k+. I buy mid-range Androids for $150 or so (it's what I can afford) and I never have ANY screen issues, weird color problems etc. It's just laughable. Apple has a ton of hype around iPhones and yet look at all the issues. Color issues and I also read about some wireless connection issues possibly? Nothing like this from my lowly Android lol

Kram Sacul

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2018
Southern California
It's ridiculous. It's. A. Phone. People are spending what some spend on apartment rent or a house payment on a phone. And they're trying to determine what color tint the screen is lol

I’m pretty sure it hasn’t been just a phone for quite a while. We’re basically talking about mini computers with high resolution displays. If there is an issue with the color temperature then I think that should be looked into.

Reactions: kre62

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I want to add that altogether I find the topic of colors and stuff very ironic considering the phone, like I said, is $1k+. I buy mid-range Androids for $150 or so (it's what I can afford) and I never have ANY screen issues, weird color problems etc. It's just laughable. Apple has a ton of hype around iPhones and yet look at all the issues. Color issues and I also read about some wireless connection issues possibly? Nothing like this from my lowly Android lol

Man you are all over the map on this. From what you wrote here it sounds like you agree with those of us who are demanding excellence from apple on this. Like you said many manufacturers have gotten it right at much lower price points. There is no scenario in which we should accept less while paying more.

Sounds like you’re on team no-yellow.

Reactions: mpavilion

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
The colors are changing from white to yellow and from yellow to white when you move it a few millimeters.

And upper screen white is white and on the lower screen (keyboard keys) are yellow. When you move the screen the keys are getting white.

I think I will return the device. I think its not an issue of the screen. I think its an OLED issue.

I had this issue. My friends max and the XS that I exchanged it for are fine but my max had a yellow ness to the screen. It didn’t bother me but it was pretty obvious when comparing to the other phones.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
It is case by case and depends on A) the store and B) how you interact with people. I went through several X last year and just to be safe either confirmed everything with a genius or one of the managers. I'm generally friendly and engaging and explained my issues in detail to them. I even tell them to please stop me from exchanging / buying again if you feel I am abusing any policy. Each time they tell me it isn't a problem at all. Who knows what they put in their notes, but I've never had a problem.

But, I don't want to be "that guy." Bought two XS, returned the 2nd one. Despite my annoyance with very narrow sweet spot compared to perfect display models, will in all likelihood keep my first XS. It is warm but it is accurate. Up next to my monitor calibrated with ColorMunki Display and DisplayCAL to 6500K, the XS is identical to the monitor. Blacked out work-related bookmarks on Chrome bar. But you get the idea. Warm display is accurate, you have to get used to it.

View attachment 788359

That looks rather pink and warm tint shift to me compared to the monitor.

Looks like typical Samsung OLED to me, since all the Galaxy phone I own have same exact pink shift.

Been watching many iPhone XS Max review. Side by side, XS Max is obviously much warmer than X. Looks like a widespread problem for polarization.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
That looks rather pink and warm tint shift to me compared to the monitor.

Looks like typical Samsung OLED to me, since all the Galaxy phone I own have same exact pink shift.

Been watching many iPhone XS Max review. Side by side, XS Max is obviously much warmer than X. Looks like a widespread problem for polarization.
Glass screen protector and camera combination causing that. No pink tint in real life. That’s always an instant return for me.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Meanwhile:

DisplayMate: iPhone XS Max Has Best Smartphone Display Ever
http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneXS_ShootOut_1s.htm

Well whatdya know, people who know a thing or two rate this as the best display ever.

FF are the serial # of the one that I think is pretty decent uniformity wise

I guess I got lucky with my FF... :rolleyes:

TheSteves

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Planet Earth
You’re the best!!

My phone was actually set to 25% white point reduction.

I have no idea how this happened but now I switched it off and it looks better to the naked eye. Can’t wait to get home tonight to compare with my X!

View attachment 787951
[doublepost=1537799637][/doublepost]
Check to see if auto brightness is turned off. It is under General > Accessibility > Display accommodations.

You can also ensure that Reduce white point is off, as well as color filters.[/QUOTE]
[doublepost=1537864348][/doublepost]
My xs max is definitely uniformly warmer than my 7 plus. Would I have noticed if I didn’t compare? No

Now I’m pissed this thread made me notice!!!

Yes. When you enter this forum they should have a pop up warning you!

Reading this forum might severely reduce the joy you feel over your new toy!!

Hahahaha

Saeloe

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2016
You’re the best!!

My phone was actually set to 25% white point reduction.

I have no idea how this happened but now I switched it off and it looks better to the naked eye. Can’t wait to get home tonight to compare with my X!

View attachment 787951
[doublepost=1537799637][/doublepost]
Check to see if auto brightness is turned off. It is under General > Accessibility > Display accommodations.

You can also ensure that Reduce white point is off, as well as color filters.

If you turn the auto brightness off, you won't get the full 760 nits brightness (it caps around 660 nits on max brightness setting without auto brightness).

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

If you turn the auto brightness off, you won't get the full 760 nits brightness (it caps around 660 nits on max brightness setting without auto brightness).

That’s a trick the Note 5 and S8+ do.
If you disable Auto Brightness you are limited. But with Auto Brightness Enabled and you are outside in Bright sun. You get the Full Real Maximum output.

Reactions: Saeloe

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
That’s a trick the Note 5 and S8+ do.
If you disable Auto Brightness you are limited. But with Auto Brightness Enabled and you are outside in Bright sun. You get the Full Real Maximum output.

iPhone 7/8 too. Auto brightness on in a bright setting pushes nits.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Do u have an x to compare To? Ya keeping the max ?

I don’t really see crazy color shift like I have on a lot of bum X’s where the slightest of angles results in a dramatically different picture

__
Why are people balking at being picky over a $1100+ device they stare at all day every day, potentially for years?
I did the trade in so I dont have the X anymore but I can honestly say the 3 days or so I played with it, I never noticed any color shift or i'm sure I would've searched up why that was. It just seemed like a really nice OLED screen. This one on my Max is extremely noticeable to me.

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
Mine screen is fine at full brightness, but has a slight pink hue on the bottom half of screen when not at full brightness with night shift on. Is this normal?

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Mine screen is fine at full brightness, but has a slight pink hue on the bottom half of screen when not at full brightness with night shift on. Is this normal?
Some of them do have some pink areas in different places of the screen. It was the same last year with the X as well. Is it possible to find an iPhone without it? Yes!

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I keep seeing “changing the color tint is only a temporary solution,” or “it doesn’t fix the problem long term.” What does that even mean? It’s like saying “screens scratch and putting a screen protector is only a temporary solution.” The screen protector is the solution, just like if you change the color tint to your liking, that is the solution. None of this “well without the color adjustments it would still look warm.” Who cares! The color adjustments are obviously there for a reason so that users can adjust the color to your liking.

I’m starting to see why so many think this thread is ridiculous. I’ve looked at several Max displays, in store, of friends, and including my wife’s so called proper FF model. Guess what, they all look the exact same! So this is either how the displays look, or Apple will adjust it down the road. Until then, I can’t take looking around at screens to see if someone has a better calibrated screen than me.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I keep seeing “changing the color tint is only a temporary solution,” or “it doesn’t fix the problem long term.” What does that even mean? It’s like saying “screens scratch and putting a screen protector is only a temporary solution.” The screen protector is the solution, just like if you change the color tint to your liking, that is the solution. None of this “well without the color adjustments it would still look warm.” Who cares! The color adjustments are obviously there for a reason so that users can adjust the color to your liking.

I’m starting to see why so many think this thread is ridiculous. I’ve looked at several Max displays, in store, of friends, and including my wife’s so called proper FF model. Guess what, they all look the exact same! So this is either how the displays look, or Apple will adjust it down the road. Until then, I can’t take looking around at screens to see if someone has a better calibrated screen than me.

So because you saw 3 screens the issue is solved? Sorry, there are ones out there that are legitimately defective, just like every year. Glad you came across a few good ones, A+ for that.

And the reason the color tint isn't a solution is because it isn't actually adjusting the white point, it's putting an additional color layer over everything. It may fix the whites, but it'll mess up other colors. Thats why it isn't a real solution.

Try reading the thread before you speak next time.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I’ve looked at several Max displays, in store, of friends, and including my wife’s so called proper FF model. Guess what, they all look the exact same! So this is either how the displays look, or Apple will adjust it down the road. Until then, I can’t take looking around at screens to see if someone has a better calibrated screen than me.

My first Max and my second looked slightly different when held next to each other, but the floor models looks significantly different and better. There is definitely variation between units.

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
I have both X and Xs Max in my hand now,true tone off on both and identical mac rumours page loaded on both nad the Xs Max definitely has a yellow tone to it.the X looks how it should,clean cool white,but xs Max is more like creme,without any doubt.
I'm returning the Xs Max for different reasons anyway,but this issue is definitely real.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
So because you saw 3 screens the issue is solved? Sorry, there are ones out there that are legitimately defective, just like every year. Glad you came across a few good ones, A+ for that.

And the reason the color tint isn't a solution is because it isn't actually adjusting the white point, it's putting an additional color layer over everything. It may fix the whites, but it'll mess up other colors. Thats why it isn't a real solution.

Try reading the thread before you speak next time.

Ive read the thread from the beginning. And who said i only looked at 3 displays? Ive looked at several Apple, Best Buy, and AT&T, along with several people who own one. And I never said the issue was solved. I said that I’m not sure there is an issue to solve as this appears to me how the display is calibrated.

I’ve adjusted my color tint and I see nothing different with the other colors. It’s only made the whites more white. So to me that is a solution. It hasn’t messed with the other colors at all. If it does, can someone show me a picture of another color it messes with? Because my screen looks perfect.
[doublepost=1537896210][/doublepost]
My first Max and my second looked slightly different when held next to each other, but the floor models looks significantly different and better. There is definitely variation between units.

I’m sure the perfect lighting in the Apple store has nothing to do with that. Did you see if True Tone was turned off on all of these displays or that they had no other adjustments made to them?

Last edited:
Reactions: orangepeel2014

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
For me, it's Apple's obsession with greenish and somewhat dull factory calibrations that annoy me, and it has been going on for years (and the XS is no exception). Some are worse than others, and we all know by now that there are no two identical displays, so contrast and color vibrancy also varies from one device to another. This is why I always take display 'reviews' with a grain of salt, because you may not get the same display quality as the reviewer, even if it's from the same manufacturer.

I am very sensitive to all displays that have even the slightest green/blue dull tint - so I even reduce it on my MacBooks, iMac and Samsung TVs. Had it not been for the 'Color Filters/Color Tint' Accessibility options in iOS (to dramatically reduce the green), I'd probably still be playing the display lottery game with every single iPhone release. To my eyes, green/blue tints make the display look dull. When you reduce the green, the blue/red take over a bit which makes whites and grays look more accurate and everything else seems to appear softer and more vibrant, at least to my eyes.

Hotdogs

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone
[doublepost=1537900651][/doublepost]I just purchased xs max. It’s screen is yellow too. Not oled issue. Had the same issues on 6s and 7 plus. Kept swapping until it was corrected. My iPhone X was perfect bright and white. I compared display xs max all even more yellow than mine. Mines three days old and seems to have whitened up a bit on its own. However I believe it’s the first batches that have these issues. I’m going to go crack in a month and if mines even slightly yellow still. I will start swapping.

Reactions: John webstar44

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
I feel like the screen on my XS isn't too bad, but True Tone appears to be way too aggressive compared to my 8+. I'm not sure if it's iOS 12, the OLED panel and new hardware, or a combination of both. Especially looking straight on, my display is very warm indoors in a sunlit room (no incandescent lighting). If I turn True Tone off the display has a very cold, blue tint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.