Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Never seen one of these threads after an Apple device Launch. :rolleyes:

As with any issue with on your phone, it's best to take it up with Apple. Like Google (I had issues with my Pixel 2) they are really good with providing customer support, and have a good return policy.

On the subject of this thread and posted examples, Wondering how many are playing with their accessibility settings before submitting pictures? Can be used to either dial in, or dial out some yellow or blue. Settings could be used for good or evil intentions. I have pranked my friends with these settings when they leave their phone unlocked (yes I fess up and return to normal) , and I can see people using this to prank Forum members too.

View attachment 787951
[doublepost=1537799637][/doublepost]
Check to see if auto brightness is turned off. It is under General > Accessibility > Display accommodations.

You can also ensure that Reduce white point is off, as well as color filters.
The problem with color tint is that the intensity slider doesn’t go low enough. They really need to add RGB sliders like monitors have for proper calibration.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
I find I have a bit of the greenish/pinkish (probably yellow/blue but my eyes are playing tricks on me) hue fade when you angle the phone up and down on a white background on my XS which is a tad annoying but I understand it comes with OLED sometimes. It was such a hassle to return my XS Max and get the XS due to the upgrade program and I really don't want to have to do that again. I was definitely spoiled with my X screen.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Any advice guys?

You're used to looking at displays that have not been calibrated. Change your mindset from what you think white should look like on a screen. Default pictures on most TVs and monitors have too much blue. Your brain is tricked into thinking this is what white should look like. So when you move to a better screen, it'll look more yellow at first.

When you view the phone from a different angle you will experience colour shifts, every phone will. You will likely see more blue which is why it might look whiter when you tilt the phone.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Lcd is better oled even the slightest move changed hue on max looking down and then tinting slight changes ips lcd is better
Perhaps you have a bad copy?

In my experience, LCD is a lot less consistent at angles than OLED. All have minor color shift with the LCD on the 6, and iPhone 7 having a far greater brightness / contrast change at angles than did the Max.

(iPhone 6) (iPhone 7) (iPhone Xs Max)

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
At least its a uniform yellow. I have a two tone phone that you cant really see until night shift is on, but night shift shows the flaw in the screen.

With night shift on compared to the 8+ it a massive difference in yellow color. The Max is almost completely yellow while the 8+ is a subtle yellow. Not happy about this but hopefully the new one I'm picking up is better. If its not I'll just deal with it.

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone
Stop.Buying.This.Phone.

Find something else.

What is the purpose of purchasing "anything" if you are not happy with it?

Once you find something else. The aggravation goes away, the happiness with whatever the "thing" is comes back. You deserve better. Go find it. The iPhone is not it for you, and thats ok.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
For those having issues, you can try changing the tint (going with a blue tint which will look too blue) then turning on night shift. This will allow you to mess with the intensity of both. It will look a bit dimmer though.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Never seen one of these threads after an Apple device Launch. :rolleyes:

As with any issue with on your phone, it's best to take it up with Apple. Like Google (I had issues with my Pixel 2) they are really good with providing customer support, and have a good return policy.

On the subject of this thread and posted examples, Wondering how many are playing with their accessibility settings before submitting pictures? Can be used to either dial in, or dial out some yellow or blue. Settings could be used for good or evil intentions. I have pranked my friends with these settings when they leave their phone unlocked (yes I fess up and return to normal) , and I can see people using this to prank Forum members too.

View attachment 787951
[doublepost=1537799637][/doublepost]
Check to see if auto brightness is turned off. It is under General > Accessibility > Display accommodations.

You can also ensure that Reduce white point is off, as well as color filters.

The problem is that it doesn’t just adjust white point. It adjusts all colors across the board. Observable with the crayons even more observable with going about business on your phone as usual with it applied

So if the default white point is intolerable to you and you have to shift it a lot, general color range will be applied this filter too and will suffer

It’s a very superficial band aid to a larger problem (imo)

Reactions: kre62

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The problem is that it doesn’t just adjust white point. It adjusts all colors across the board. Observable with the crayons even more observable with going about business on your phone as usual with it applied

So if the default white point is intolerable to you and you have to shift it a lot, general color range will be applied this filter too and will suffer

It’s a very superficial band aid to a larger problem (imo)
Valid points, though I don't really consider it a fix, more that I don't trust all of the proof pictures out there, without seeing all settings screens.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Valid points, though I don't really consider it a fix, more that I don't trust all of the proof pictures out there, without seeing all settings screens.

I believe them because we've seen this issue at launch since the 3GS, and I've personally had many yellow screen phones in that time, and this was before display accommodations existed.

Some of the purple and pink ones look more suspect, but the yellow ones are standard issue Apple B grade panels. I'm really surprised that no investigative journalism has busted Apple on this over the years. This is either residue from manufacturing, which wears off after the first few batches, or it's Apple using either B grade suppliers to meet demand or increasing acceptable tolerance ranges to meet demand, resulting in greater variability.

Reactions: 840quadra

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
My XS got delivered Friday. Went through this lottery last year. This year I'm giving it 2 chances and getting on with life. There are no dead or stuck pixels and entire screen is uniform. It isn't piss yellow but is very warm head on. With just a minimal move, I mean minimal, the screen shifts cooler or more neutral and stays that way the more I tilt it. It looks perfect when slightly tilted. It could be far worse. It could be piss yellow or have pink corners and edges.

I've turned off night shift, TT, haven't touched display adjustments or tint which does absolutely nothing for this issue. It is purely OLED quality and where these screens are cut from the large sheets at the factories. It's a shame that QC is so shoddy. Or Apple just cheaps out and pays for lesser quality screens / farther away from center of sheet. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Ordered 1 for store pick up in about an hour and will keep whichever one is better. Done with this nonsense.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I adjusted the hue on the color filters and let me tell you, Night and Day difference! Its not a nice bright white like my X was and is a brighter white than my 8+.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
My XS got delivered Friday. Went through this lottery last year. This year I'm giving it 2 chances and getting on with life. There are no dead or stuck pixels and entire screen is uniform. It isn't piss yellow but is very warm head on. With just a minimal move, I mean minimal, the screen shifts cooler or more neutral and stays that way the more I tilt it. It looks perfect when slightly tilted. It could be far worse. It could be piss yellow or have pink corners and edges.

I've turned off night shift, TT, haven't touched display adjustments or tint which does absolutely nothing for this issue. It is purely OLED quality and where these screens are cut from the large sheets at the factories. It's a shame that QC is so shoddy. Or Apple just cheaps out and pays for lesser quality screens / farther away from center of sheet. Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Ordered 1 for store pick up in about an hour and will keep whichever one is better. Done with this nonsense.

Don't keep any that arent up to snuff, return both if needed.
[doublepost=1537804561][/doublepost]
I adjusted the hue on the color filters and let me tell you, Night and Day difference! Its not a nice bright white like my X was and is a brighter white than my 8+.

Not a real solution as it places an additional layer of color on the screen. You'll notice the artificial look and affect on other colors over time.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

Not a real solution as it places an additional layer of color on the screen. You'll notice the artificial look and affect on other colors over time.

Darn, that's disappointing to hear. The below photo is up against my 8+ again and the X is so much whiter now it almost makes the 8+ look yellow:

Attachments

• IMG_7917.jpg
    IMG_7917.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 220

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

Perhaps I will, we'll see. Either way it is two and done for me. I just don't have time or patience for this insanity anymore. It is amazing that my friend's OnePlus 5T for half the price has a better screen than most of these iPhones. Even my Pixel 2 XL is better in terms of color shift (I got extremely lucky), and I paid $550 out the door for that. It's the fact that these phones are $1000+, it really adds insult to injury and I'm quite sick of it.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
i prefer the yellow tint to be honest, much more warmer to my eyes.
the white/blue hurts my eyes. take it or leave it, but i rather take the former more often [with tRuetone display]

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Update: i spoke with apple all morning and they know this issue they said a lot are saying this and they said an update should change the oled hue but when that happenes who knows its so bugging me i have to tint my phone to get nice hue

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
If I weren’t happy with the panel and set on max I would try one more time with an even exchange and then give up instead of going down the rabbit hole

But I’m not sure I’d give up after the first unboxing.. if I was set on the product in general

Still the odds aren’t looking great

Does anyone have a pristine white screen of the max or is it between super jaundice and just slightly yellow? I’d be curious
[doublepost=1537806540][/doublepost]
Update: i spoke with apple all morning and they know this issue they said a lot are saying this and they said an update should change the oled hue but when that happenes who knows its so bugging me i have to tint my phone to get nice hue

Could be just to shut you up and get you off the phone

Who can argue with “its coming in the future” — its the future

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
2012-2016: People chant, “give us oled”.

2018: People chant, “give us lcd”.

Hahahaha, feels like that way. In all seriousness its really not that simple. I had an iPhone X and the screen didn't have this yellow tint to it. OLED doesn't mean automatically having to deal with a yellow tint.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
If I weren’t happy with the panel and set on max I would try one more time with an even exchange and then give up instead of going down the rabbit hole

But I’m not sure I’d give up after the first unboxing.. if I was set on the product in general

Still the odds aren’t looking great

Does anyone have a pristine white screen of the max or is it between super jaundice and just slightly yellow? I’d be curious
[doublepost=1537806540][/doublepost]

Could be just to shut you up and get you off the phone

Who can argue with “its coming in the future” — its the future
Dont be rude
[doublepost=1537806676][/doublepost]
Hahahaha, feels like that way. In all seriousness its really not that simple. I had an iPhone X and the screen didn't have this yellow tint to it. OLED doesn't mean automatically having to deal with a yellow tint.
Yeah it also seems the max brightness isnt high like the x yellow and not bright this is not what i expect from apple

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014

Also, what does it mean that I'll notice this artificial look "over time." Its a color adjustment so won't all of the colors just stay adjusted?

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
The colour filter helps the hue but makes it much lower brightness and the max isnt that bright like the x

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Dont be rude
[doublepost=1537806676][/doublepost]
Yeah it also seems the max brightness isnt high like the x yellow and not bright this is not what i expect from apple

I’m not being rude to you I just mean “shut you up” as an expression, as in like any customer support rep tries to do as the end goal is to get you off the phone somewhat satisfied or at least the session ending. Even if it means making things up or alluding to future software fixes that may or may not happen.

I personally appreciate threads like this and certainly don’t share the sentiment to want to “shut you up” . If that’s what you wondering

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I believe them because we've seen this issue at launch since the 3GS, and I've personally had many yellow screen phones in that time, and this was before display accommodations existed.

Some of the purple and pink ones look more suspect, but the yellow ones are standard issue Apple B grade panels. I'm really surprised that no investigative journalism has busted Apple on this over the years. This is either residue from manufacturing, which wears off after the first few batches, or it's Apple using either B grade suppliers to meet demand or increasing acceptable tolerance ranges to meet demand, resulting in greater variability.

I think the reason media does not dig into it more is because in this case, it really is not news.

It is quite possible that Apple made the change to a warmer white to counteract all of the bickering over blue (cooler) screens on last year's X. Or, more likely reduced the output of blue pixels to help with overall panel longevity (making the overall image warmer). Despite the advances in the tech, Blue organic diodes still tend to have lower lifespan and are more prone to failure. I would understand high amounts media of vitriol over this subject if Apple was selling us a calibrated screen with both a color temperature guarantee including some type of certificate, however at the end of the day they are still consumer devices.

I am just thankful that in day ~3 now, we aren't seeing screen issues like the Pixel 2 XL had on it's launch day.

With regards to the new iPhones, Mine looks a touch warmer than my X, but that phone also looked a touch cooler than my 7 it replaced. I can understand it is a visual difference, and it bothers some, but I haven't seen a post where a screen truly is yellow in the same extreme like some of the true tinting issues that some older iBook, Powerbook, iMac, and MacBooks have seen.

I can't say it isn't an issue for some, but I personally think the few potential issues we have on here are a far cry from any type of Displaygate™ .

Reactions: TitsLegendary
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.