Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
The uniformity is pretty poor on my Xs max with a full white screen. More greenish on the right side and dimmer at the top vs the bottom. Also when tilting the phone , the left side starts turning more bluish before the right side. Never seen a phone do this before!!

Reactions: lancastor

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I also have a warmer screen then I’d like and I’m not talking about tilt variants.

Placing my Xs Max next to my X, the Max is definitely warmer and whites have more yellow in them then I’d like.

Damn.

Reactions: Sensamic

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I also find the color accuracy to be subpar compared to my iPhone X.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/04BSG1MvyrYi_mB2No8p8-lgw#Home

Yeah you gots the yellow. Your X wasnt great either. Swap out the XS. You might want to wait for the next batch of phones, its usually the first batch that has the most yellow screens.

Apple does this every single year. Exact same tint, exact same issues, exact same apologist arguments. Every. Year.
[doublepost=1537740242][/doublepost]
I also have a warmer screen then I’d like and I’m not talking about tilt variants.

Placing my Xs Max next to my X, the Max is definitely warmer and whites have more yellow in them then I’d like.

Damn.

Hit the eject button on the new phone. Dont stand for it. They aren't all like that.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
are people having a yellow that is only noticeable in certain areas of the screen or the WHOLE screen?

Mine seems to be more yellow at the top, but it really depends on how I hold it. If I tilt the top away from me it switches and then the bottom is yellow. I'm trying to get used to it but I find I'm focusing a lot on finding the sweet spot where it doesn't look yellow and then holding it there. I need to go back to the store to compare and see if they are all like this or not. This is the first OLED device I've owned.

Itsjustcole

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
To reiterate what others have stated in this post, wait a little bit before swapping devices if you’re screen is slightly warmer. It’s sucky, yes. My iPhone XS Max looks identical to yours in the comparison picture, except my X is much cooler. But last year when I got my X, it seemed uncomfortably yellow side by side with an 8 plus. As time progressed, the screen got much cooler (more blue than yellow), and now looks the same—if not better—when compared to an 8 Plus LCD. That being said, if it’s dramatically tinted and/or is not uniform, then yes, go get your device swapped.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yellowing is probably an iOS 12 issue I think. The X has it too no? My X Max looks a little yellow, but it doesn’t bother me.

b4ulaf

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Yeah you gots the yellow. Your X wasnt great either. Swap out the XS. You might want to wait for the next batch of phones, its usually the first batch that has the most yellow screens.

Apple does this every single year. Exact same tint, exact same issues, exact same apologist arguments. Every. Year.
[doublepost=1537740242][/doublepost]

Hit the eject button on the new phone. Dont stand for it. They aren't all like that.

Just scheduled an appointment for next Saturday. Do I just tell them that I don’t like the yellowish tint?

praxis219

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
To reiterate what others have stated in this post, wait a little bit before swapping devices if you’re screen is slightly warmer. It’s sucky, yes. My iPhone XS Max looks identical to yours in the comparison picture, except my X is much cooler. But last year when I got my X, it seemed uncomfortably yellow side by side with an 8 plus. As time progressed, the screen got much cooler (more blue than yellow), and now looks the same—if not better—when compared to an 8 Plus LCD. That being said, if it’s dramatically tinted and/or is not uniform, then yes, go get your device swapped.

Do you have before/after photos? I've always wondered if this is a myth.

I remember my X being warmer than my 7, but 1 year later it's extremely white compared to other phones. Not psychological either, this is with comparing with others.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think there is individual variation.

I was testing out some phones in the store today, and after turning off True Tone, the worst with yellow tint was actually an 8 Plus. The 8 and Xs and Max all looked good to me. OTOH, the X I saw last week looked yellow to me.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
One thing I’ve noticed is in bright situations like being outside in the sun, it’s a lot more blue like I’m used to, but in darker rooms I see that yellowish tint. Could this have something to do with software? It almost seems like a new built in feature in auto-brightness

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Just scheduled an appointment for next Saturday. Do I just tell them that I don’t like the yellowish tint?

I went today and did exactly that. The replacement is marginally better, it will probably be returned as well. The store demo phones looked far better then both I received, and all setting were exactly the same.

The very nice apple employee working with me agreed that the demo phones looked better and his theory is that they have been on all day every day which causes them to settle quicker. He advised me to try using it for at least a week and then re-assess. I don’t personally buy into this but agreed to do it. This will be my last attempt at a Max, after this I’ll revisit this in September 2019.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
One thing I’ve noticed is in bright situations like being outside in the sun, it’s a lot more blue like I’m used to, but in darker rooms I see that yellowish tint. Could this have something to do with software? It almost seems like a new built in feature in auto-brightness
Well, the yellow X and yellow 8 Plus I saw both had the brightness at max, in a very bright Apple Store.

The (to my eye) properly calibrated Xs and Xs Max were also with the brightness at max, in the same store.

b4ulaf

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I went today and did exactly that. The replacement is marginally better, it will probably be returned as well. The store demo phones looked far better then both I received, and all setting were exactly the same.

The very nice apple employee working with me agreed that the demo phones looked better and his theory is that they have been on all day every day which causes them to settle quicker. He advised me to try using it for at least a week and then re-assess. I don’t personally buy into this but agreed to do it. This will be my last attempt at a Max, after this I’ll revisit this in September 2019.

Did your display also seem to be less vivid? My Max display is also a tiny bit washed out compared to my X.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Did your display also seem to be less vivid? My Max display is also a tiny bit washed out compared to my X.

Yes, the first one was quite dull/dim while the second one is more vibrant but still has the strong yellow tint.

When you go to the store show the employee how it looks compared to your X, they won’t be able to deny it.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Don’t go through the Genius Bar. If they swap it out you won’t be able to return your phone after, and if you get another yellow one you’re done.

Yellow screen vets know that only a retail return followed by a rebuy will do.

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
Don’t go through the Genius Bar. If they swap it out you won’t be able to return your phone after, and if you get another yellow one you’re done.

Yellow screen vets know that only a retail return followed by a rebuy will do.

EXACTLY THIS, Do not replace your phone. You won't have the option to return, and If you do plan on selling in the future that refurbished serial number will not look good on the specs sheet.

And yes, I found it a shock to me too, Replacements have a different serial number naming scheme, to some that may mean a lot.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone

The solution is simple. If you're unhappy, you have 14 days to return it for a full refund. The Note 9 is supposed to be good. OR, have Apple replace it. Much better solutions out there, other than complaining on a forum that can't make you happy either.

cosmicastronaut

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
I noticed the gross yellow tinge on my Max the same day I received it. I hate it. I made sure True Tone and night shift were off as well, to no avail.
Due to this, it almost feels like colors seem washed out and the brightness needs to be at least 50% to match my 8 plus’ brightness at 25%. Obviously, if I tilt the phone just a degree or two, you can see the blue hue.

Also, I’m not sure if it’s due to iOS 12 or a hardware issue, but there are times when I open a new Safari window or an app, there’s this sudden, screen flicker.

And one more small complaint...my hand always rests against the sim tray, but the edges of the sim tray outline are quite sharp! Shouldn’t it be recessed smoothly?

Everything else about the phone is glorious though, but I’m not sure if I can live with the piss yellow screen, Especially on a $1300 phone.

Last edited:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I noticed the gross yellow tinge on my Max the same day I received it. I hate it. I made sure True Tone and night shift were off as well, to no avail.
Due to this, it almost feels like colors seem washed out and the brightness needs to be at least 50% to match my 8 plus’ brightness at 25%. Obviously, if I tilt the phone just a degree or two, you can see the blue hue.

Also, I’m not sure if it’s due to iOS 12 or a hardware issue, but there are times when I open a new Safari window or an app, there’s this sudden, screen flicker.

And one more small complaint...my hand always rests against the sim tray, but the edges of the sim tray outline are quite sharp! Shouldn’t it be recessed smoothly?

Everything else about the phone is glorious though, but I’m not sure if I can live with the piss yellow screen, Especially on a $1300 phone.

This isn't normal and isnt due to iOS 12. As mentioned multiple times in this thread, this has happened every year since the 3GS came out. The initial batch has a very high % that have yellow tint to the screens. The symptoms you describe are exactly like whats happened every year. Want proof? Check out my posts. Go back a few years. You'll find many epic battles over this exact issue all the way back to 2009.

Take. It. Back. Apathetic customers is exactly why Apple gets away with this every year.

cosmicastronaut

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
This isn't normal and isnt due to iOS 12. As mentioned multiple times in this thread, this has happened every year since the 3GS came out. The initial batch has a very high % that have yellow tint to the screens. The symptoms you describe are exactly like whats happened every year. Want proof? Check out my posts. Go back a few years. You'll find many epic battles over this exact issue all the way back to 2009.

Take. It. Back. Apathetic customers is exactly why Apple gets away with this every year.
Thanks for your reply. I just compared mine with my sisters Xs Max, and hers seems to have a slight yellow tint, but it’s not as harsh Especially when looking at an angle, the transition from blue to yellow is small.
Her phone seems to be brighter at the same level.

I may try returning it and hoping the new one is better, but I’m not sure how Apple’s current stock is as I’m leaving on vacation in a couple weeks.

toneLA2

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2014
Beverly Hills, CA
All I’m gonna say is that I’m sensitive to yellow screens, that’s why I don’t really care for night shift or True Tone. But we can’t dismiss that some people must be getting bad ones.

As per my recent review of my experience (and swapping 2 new XS Max to find the one that didn’t have any dust under the camera lens), I have had throughout a display that’s by far better than the X.

It’s crisp white and literally blinding it’s so bright—it’s not blue, it’s not yellow, it’s just perfectly white. The brightness is out of control, I can’t use it above 30% at home it’s so bright. Next to my X which had already a great display, it’s better in every respect.

The colors are super vibrant and the contrast is also fantastic.

If yours is yellow, muddy or dim, don’t despair. Whilst it took me 3 attempts to have the right one camera-wise, the 3 I’ve had in 2 days were perfectly even and perfectly white—the last iteration in my hand right now does not look like papyrus, rather a nice clean sheet of paper at 25% brightness. I’d go in for an exchange with said price tag associated like I have because of dust in the camera module.

That said, this is by far the best phone Apple has released since iPhone 6+. The screen is actually the killer feature. If anyone feels otherwise, then trust your gut feeling and have it swapped.

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
I agree with this. I'm not TOO bothered by my screen but it does feel warmer than my X. I do like my screens cooler. Biggest reason I turn TrueTone off. That being said, my current XS Max seems quite cool in outdoor light but warmer in indoor light. Even with TrueTone turned off!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.