Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
i swapped mine for the middle pink tint. replacement looks good! it might be a bit warm etc... but all i want is uniformity

Edit: i'm happy and probably going to take a break from the forum so that i dont overly analyze any more things people make threads about.

Go to Apple store, compare to one of the display phones. Open settings app on each phone, turn off true tone on both, and then on any settings page hold them next to each other. Settings should be a blueish-grey with colorful icons. If it looks washed out and the colors aren't popping you got a bad screen.

Apple always has cooler, white, perfect screens on their display phones. Its basically bait and switch.
Thanks for that! but don't you think demo iPhones are more white because they're turned on 24/7

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Apple always has cooler, white, perfect screens on their display phones. Its basically bait and switch.

Compared my XS Max with an X, S8+, S9+ and my old 7+ for fun, all with no display tweaking and max brightness and then half brightness (night shift and truetone off). My XS Max is a fair bit more yellow than all of them o_O, started a support case and basically got told to show them in-store, but I plan to compare to the display models when I'm there.

Quite bad when I'm using the XS Max with MBP in-front of me and the stark contrast between the white and yellow is very noticeable.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Compared my XS Max with an X, S8+, S9+ and my old 7+ for fun, all with no display tweaking and max brightness and then half brightness (night shift and truetone off). My XS Max is a fair bit more yellow than all of them o_O, started a support case and basically got told to show them in-store, but I plan to compare to the display models when I'm there.

Quite bad when I'm using the XS Max with MBP in-front of me and the stark contrast between the white and yellow is very noticeable.

I looked at 5 random display models at an Apple store today as I was going to exchange mine. All of them were yellow and a tad bit worse than my max. I had my X, XS Max, and display model side by side with Trutone off and max brightness. But every store will be someowhat different. At least the display models all looked exactly alike this year. Last year when I did this with my first X (got lucky on the 2nd). I compared my bad X to 3 display models. All of them looked different. The store employee was a bit surprised.

I’m waiting a week for inventory to cycle before I do the exchange.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Some of you do not know what properly calibrated screens are lol. That blue vivid crap you see on store models, TVs for example, is not proper. Get over it. iPhone xs max screen is fine and it looks beautiful! No two screens will be the same so stop comparing them. I can just imagine some of you returning your phones multiple times looking like a fool. Stop looking for defects or just don’t buy the phone period. It’s really that simple.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
After several hours tonight of testing the Max on different apps and websites, including tweaking the various settings in iOS, I’ve sadly concluded that I can’t live with this screen. I just can’t accept white with a strong yellow tint.

I’ll try one exchange and if that doesn’t work it’s back to the 8 Plus until next year. Very disappointed with this.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
After comparing my Max to a buddies Xs. Same brightness. True tone on, night shift off. Mine was a lot yellower than his. His looked very uniform while mine is yellower and not very uniform. I can draw a line from the bottom left to the top right and mine is pretty yellow on the left portion. The right portion is whiter, while still being too yellow.

Didn't have my Canon on hand so I couldn't snag a good enough picture using my 7 Plus. But the difference was very noticeable. When I think about the $1300 I spent on the Max, I'm pretty darn disappointed. Might try an exchange. But when the closest Apple store is an hour each way, might just return it and stick with the 7 Plus

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Some of you do not know what properly calibrated screens are lol.

I calibrate my displays with a Spyder5 "Pro"(lul) not the best of course, however still pretty good for home/general use. While I do prefer cooler tones personally I don't use them, plus I appreciate the relative uniformity amongst my screens when calibrated properly.

XS Max is rather yellow-green in comparison, normally iPhones I find a bit cooler than neutral, but I don't mind it too much. However warmer and a bit on the green side from neutral is not ideal at all.

TheSteves

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2015
Planet Earth
Next to my X very obvious no matter if I turn truetone on or off. At any brightness Xs is way more yellow.

Anyone experiencing the same.

I also remember others having the same issue in previous years.

Speculation was about a glue in the display assembly that needed to dry.

Did that ever happen and did the affected displays become less yellow?

I thought apple is Hardware calibrating the displays out of factory. How can this even happen?

Carb0n12

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
By the way, a lot of people are experiencing color calibration issues with the new iOS 12, specifically iPhone 8, 8+ and X/XS users. These users report that their screens have become more yellow and/or inaccurate as far as color is concerned. This issue was not present before the update. I am going to closely watch this. There may be a software / update incoming that may fix a lot of our yellow screen issue(s).

Last edited:

Eee1111

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
By the way, a lot of people are experiencing color calibration issues with the new iOS 12, specifically iPhone 8, 8+ and X/XS users. These users report that their screens have become more yellow and/or inaccurate as far as color is concerned. This issue was not present before the update. I am going to closely watch this. There may be a software / update incoming that may fix a lot of our yellow screen issue(s).

iOS 12 making lcd screens look yellow?

im not buying that one.....

edit...lol I just saw the Forbes article....its true lol

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone

Given your history, I believe the issue is your eyes. I have never seen this issue in all of the phones I have owned.

chriscrowlee

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2015
San Diego, CA
"BUT BUT BUT BUT ITS YELLOW. I sat with 4 Apple Geniuses and we compared all 12 unboxed Max's and they agreed."

Replace the second "and" with "until" and you likely have the real story, hehe..

"I sat with 4 Apple Geniuses and we compared all 12 unboxed Max's until they agreed."
[doublepost=1537713949][/doublepost]
Is there any point at which it's not really a problem with a device but with the user's perception of the device?

Typical, always gotta go blaming the victim, hahahaha... /s

Reactions: jimmy_uk

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Did changing the setting a help anyone? So far it’s okay for me but yes I still notice the yellowish tint when I tilt the screen. Is this enough to make people take it back?
My phone doesn’t seem yellow but when I tilt it then the screen turns more blue. Does this bother me? Not at all.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Given your history, I believe the issue is your eyes. I have never seen this issue in all of the phones I have owned.
Because you have not experienced any issue does not mean others haven't. Perhaps you just don't see it. I can say people see things differently and some are more sensative to colour shift etc. Why are people coming to this thread and defending their purchase while suggesting it's the user at fault?

Just got a new 5k iMac at work for graphic design, I can see the massive difference in resolution from my old iMac. My colleagues just don't see the difference. I have the same experience with the ipad pros 120hz display, most people I've shown don't see it.

Just been to the Apple store and out of the three display models I could get my hands on (busy store) they all had different displays. One had yellow splodge tint like mine, one was whiter (but not crisp blue white) but shifted to blue/green very quickly, the other had a pinky hue. All had true tone off (I switched it off).

Apple had no replacements so I returned my Max.
[doublepost=1537716213][/doublepost]
My phone doesn’t seem yellow but when I tilt it then the screen turns more blue. Does this bother me? Not at all.
No doubt yours is just right then.
[doublepost=1537716376][/doublepost]
People tweak their TV’s all the time, and sometimes pay a lot of money to have an expert do it for them. To me changing some settings on a cell phone is no different. I’m glad Apple now provides the ability to do this.
Modern TVs and monitors allow for complete screen calibration. Apples display accommodation settings don't, it's just a filter which effects the other colours. These are not the same thing. If adding filters make your display right then more power to you. But if like mine, with a yellowish display, the filters make it much worse so not a real solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: lugworm

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Some displays are just more warm than others. That's how its been forever. If you want to play the screen lottery, then go ahead.

But I'd be more worried about the reception on your new $1500 device. Probably best to go with the 8 Plus.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
A few phones ago, I got caught up in the “yellow” screen issue and kept returning phones, eventually being treated rather rudely by a store employee. I realized I could keep returning trying for the “perfect” screen, or stop obsessing about it. When I saw this thread, I thought, “oh no, people are going to obsess and hunt for the ever elusive screen. If it really is a problem, it can be fixed. What I realized is that every new series the screens will look different perhaps than the one you had been using and were comfortable with. I don’t compare screens anymore. Don’t make problems for yourself. What might be a “perfect” screen to one, might be “awful” to another. Just saying.

Reactions: skadd

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
A few phones ago, I got caught up in the “yellow” screen issue and kept returning phones, eventually being treated rather rudely by a store employee. I realized I could keep returning trying for the “perfect” screen, or stop obsessing about it. When I saw this thread, I thought, “oh no, people are going to obsess and hunt for the ever elusive screen. If it really is a problem, it can be fixed. What I realized is that every new series the screens will look different perhaps than the one you had been using and were comfortable with. I don’t compare screens anymore. Don’t make problems for yourself. What might be a “perfect” screen to one, might be “awful” to another. Just saying.
You might be right but people are seeing screen issues out of the box. I played with my phone for a straight hour before comparing it but I didn't need to. I knew the yellow splodge shimmer effect I was seeing shifting the phone up and down very slightly was going to be an everyday problem. Not going to unsee it.

I voted with my feet and took it back for a refund. I'm not wrong to address what I perceive as an issue, you wouldn't eat a meal at a restaurant you weren't happy with.

I'm checking out now. Good luck to everyone wanting the right device for your needs.

ssshhh

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
Damn,I am waiting to get the Max on next Friday,But now Im having second Thoughts,i hate yellow screens,Suddenly it happened to my Macbook Pro retina,I've tried to calibrate but no luck.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Unfortunately I’m having this issue as well. What’s weird is I didn’t notice how bad it was till I read this thread but it’s pretty yellow, and then more white blue as I tilt it.

Where did you get this information?

Reactions: skadd

Eee1111

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
are people having a yellow that is only noticeable in certain areas of the screen or the WHOLE screen?

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I predict the new thread will soon be about the dark grey black uniformity and lack thereof. Try not to look at your clock app at lowest brightness in the dark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.