Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Mine has no yellow screen which im happy for. However, my XS screen is not as bright as my X. Same settings, same brightness but the X is much brighter. Anyone know why?

sampo

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2017
Briefly tried the xs max in a local store, screen calibration looked fine to me. Off axis there was a slight shift to blue. Viewing angles or ”sweet spot” seem to be improved vs X.

Reactions: skadd

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Visited AT&T store today and the Max screen demo looked just like my screen. True Tone on and the screen tint changes from warm to blue as you look from straight on to slightly off axis. Appears that OLED screen better than the Pixels but inferior to the Samsungs. I’ll look at a few more of these demo phones in the next few days.

Reactions: lancastor

Itsjustcole

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2017
Those that upgraded from the X to the Max, is your display slightly warmer/dimmer than your previous X? Side by side with identical settings, my Max is noticeably different. If it's normal, I suppose I should just stop comparing the two and my eyes will adjust, but not sure if I need to go into an Apple store for replacement. Never had this issue before in the past.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland
You will get used to it.

You're used to looking at inaccurate whites which seem cooler and so your eyes think that it's normal for whites to have a cooler/blue tint to them. It's not.

Same goes for the TV world. Most tv manufacturers recommend starting in movie for the picture mode and then tweaking the settings from there. Everyone is used to the cool white look.
[doublepost=1537640251][/doublepost]
Visited AT&T store today and the Max screen demo looked just like my screen. True Tone on and the screen tint changes from warm to blue as you look from straight on to slightly off axis. Appears that OLED screen better than the Pixels but inferior to the Samsungs. I’ll look at a few more of these demo phones in the next few days.

Samsung makes the displays for the X and XS/Max

TroyBoy30

macrumors 68030
Jun 9, 2009
Atlanta GA
Those that upgraded from the X to the Max, is your display slightly warmer/dimmer than your previous X? Side by side with identical settings, my Max is noticeably different. If it's normal, I suppose I should just stop comparing the two and my eyes will adjust, but not sure if I need to go into an Apple store for replacement. Never had this issue before in the past.

Mine is warmer than my x with tru tone on. Turn tru tone off and my max is very blue which I hate

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Side by side with iPhone X, this looks like someone took a piss on the display.

Even after turning on night mode for X, the XS MAX is still warmer.

This is not an acceptable quality for its price tag.

View attachment 786619

Mine looks just as bad. You can see my pic earlier. I went to the Apple store and compared it to 5 random displays, all exhibiting the same yellow warm tint. I’ll wait a week to cycle through inventory and attempt an exchange. If no luck, I’ll keep my X.

At the end of the day, you need to be happy with what you have. If warmer is your thing, so be it. I like my whites to be white and my grays to be gray as they should be. My X more or less matches my hardware calibrated monitor, and that is what i want on my Max.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
I wouldn't even care about warm versus cool. All I want is uniformity and mine doesn't have it. Pink in the middle, cool on the top and bottom. Too annoying to scroll a white website with this screen.

Reactions: stafil and jimmy_uk

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Same goes for the TV world. Most tv manufacturers recommend starting in movie for the picture mode and then tweaking the settings from there. Everyone is used to the cool white look.
[doublepost=1537640251][/doublepost]

Samsung makes the displays for the X and XS/Max

Samsung OLED phone displays are simply better. The phone I just mailed back to AT&T is the S8+ and the screen doesn’t have color shifting off axis. And same goes for all the other Sammie’s I’ve owned.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Same issue here. Brand new XS and compared to my X (and wife's 8 which I understand is IPS vs OLED), there is a bad yellow tint. Unlike some of the other images in this thread, mine isn't even uniform. Tint gets darker toward the top when looked at straight-on. Will ask for a new retail exchange and if it's a hassle will just return and stick with X.

I always thought this was limited to IPS displays and didn't think OLED was suspectible. Shame.

Reactions: lancastor

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I got some interesting results toggling night shift on and off. I felt the screen was a bit yellow before night shift kicked in and then I turned it off and felt the colors were right even with True Tone on. It might be just perception and reference points messing with what I see or maybe Apple’s True Tone isn’t spot on in every situation.

You have to remember that lighting and what you compare to can heavily influence what you see. Tons of experiments on how the same shade of gray or white can appear different depending on what color is next to it.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Samsung OLED phone displays are simply better. The phone I just mailed back to AT&T is the S8+ and the screen doesn’t have color shifting off axis. And same goes for all the other Sammie’s I’ve owned.

That is ********. All Samsung phone that I own from S8 and beyond have pink tint, and weird shift in color.

The display from iPhone is also manufacture by Samsung. They both exhibit similar issue.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
I'm looking forward to displaymates review of the XS display. They gave the X display a perfect score, if I remember correctly.

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
Maryland

Apple makes Samsung make and calibrate their displays to their specs. So it's an Apple thing here. Cause Apple uses Samsung displays
[doublepost=1537645576][/doublepost]
That is ********. All Samsung phone that I own from S8 and beyond have pink tint, and weird shift in color.

The display from iPhone is also manufacture by Samsung. They both exhibit similar issue.

Ditto. The S8+ I had last year had a pink/red tint around most of the screen.

But this is an Apple issue. Apple tells Samsung how they want the displays made and calibrated

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
What I always see is people that are way too picky. I don't have yellow. I've never had yellow and I've had every iPhone every released except the 4s. Never once have I had yellow.
Well throw yourself a party and be happy you don't have an issue. But don't assume because you've never had an issue that it doesn't exist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.