Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Not yellow tint, but a different screen issue here.

Just opened mine. First thing I notice after peeling off the factory protective film is a small, 1/3rd inch, horizontal scratch near the middle of the screen towards the right side of the screen. Only noticeable when light glares off of the screen and invisible once a screen protector is applied.

I think the screen should be perfect when paying $1500+ for a phone, but I'm tired of exchanging things for small cosmetic defects like this. Plus none of the stores around me have any in-stock anyway to do an exchange...
Exchange it. New means no scratches or ‘lines’ in oleophobic coating.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Can I get it exchanged at a store if I pre-ordered it from apple.com on the first night of pre-orders?

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Someone else mentioned in another thread that they keep a separate stock for exchanges. Would be another lotto though as this unit that has the scratch has no dead or stuck pixels.

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
It's the glue drying
If the entire screen is yellow, that is the color temp and will not change.

What you’re referring to is a yellow splotch on the screen that will go away after a few days. The vast majority of people complaining about this issue results from a distaste of the color temp calibrated for the phone.

https://gizmodo.com/5571986/apple-support-says-yellow-tint-problem-is-residue-from-manufacturing

If you’re not happy with the display quality, head to the Apple store to compare, then exchange. Just make sure True Tone is off on every device you’re testing.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It‘s not a problem when the screen is yellow OR white.

It‘s a problem when the screen is yellow AND white at the same time (white on the top, yellow on the bottom). And when you lift your phone a few millimeter, yellow is on the top and white ob the bottom.

Apple Support said on the phone: It’s is a defective screen and not caused by OLED technology.
Okay that makes sense. That kind of unevenness would likely trigger my migraines.

I got my new phone by surprise earlier tonight when we went to pick up my watch and my husband’s iPhone. They had an XS Max in stock, so I got it and will cancel the one shipping to me. As far as I can tell, my display and my husband’s display are fine and even. It can look bluish white but I currently have Night Shift and True Tone both turned on. It looks good. A warm tone I prefer late at night. There is some off axis color shift to blue on both but it’s minimal and normal for OLED and what we’re used to on our S9+ displays.

I can detect the pwm flicker more on my husband’s display than on mine. That doesn’t bother him. Flicker is a problem for me so I’m glad by luck I picked one I can get along with so far.

So far my display compares favorably to that of the Red iPhone 8 Plus that I kept. Which is a bit dimmer and more Amber than the one on the silver iPhone 8 Plus I traded in tonight. Everyone on this forum would probably favor the display I traded in. But I’m good with the range left to me. As long as I’m not getting anything that induces eye strain, I’m happy.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Off-axis color shift still there?
There is some shift inherent in OLED from what I understand. I also understand that there’s a wide variance between screens.

However I can say that for whatever reason, my off axis shift is less ugly on my XS than it was on my X. On the X the color shifted to an ugly Samsung-like greenish cyan as you tilted the phone away from you. On the XS it shifts to a cool light magenta. Periwinkle comes to mind.

The XS panel viewed straight on was noticeably warmer than the X side by side, but after putting the X away and spending the evening with the XS, I don’t notice it. Whites are definitely not yellow.

Reactions: predation

allonym

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I've heard that about every iPhone since the 3GS, and yet here we are, somehow looking at a perfect 2017 iPhone X screen.
Except we’re not. We’re looking at a photo of a screen displayed on another screen, which introduces a bunch of other variables including white/colour balance of the camera and the screen you are viewing directly. Given that, I think it’s pretty hard to make anything but relative judgments.

FWIW, the screen on the left looks cooler than the iPhone 7 screen on which I’m viewing this and the screen on the right looks warmer (I’m comparing with the MacRumors web page background, which I presume to be white!) I’m happy with my iPhone 7 screen but expect I could also be happy with the warmth of either of the screens shown in iphone3gnj’s picture. (The OLED colour shift when tilting the phone/moving your head is another matter. That sucks, IMO)

Reactions: draa

J_whattt

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
Had the same issue and found a simple fix. May just be software related. Go to settings >display> night shift and turn the slider all the way to left That should fix the problem. At least it did mine. Hope this helps

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
My XS Max has a terrible shift and is noticeable even when looking straight on. It’s a full on yellow colour when looking straight on but there’s a pinkish hue coming in from either the top or the bottom depending on how you’re holding it. Because the phone is so big, I’m moving the phone slightly all the time to reach different parts of the screen and the rapid change to pink and then yellow is giving me a headache.

Wasn’t like this on my previous X, this will be going back to the Apple Store on Monday as soon as I’m back home.

Here’s some pictures to show what I mean:

Attachments

• 06F64498-5249-401F-8932-454E67817233.jpeg
    06F64498-5249-401F-8932-454E67817233.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 583
  • 81D3E53A-7B9D-4D40-8598-1C2B3DCB867B.jpeg
    81D3E53A-7B9D-4D40-8598-1C2B3DCB867B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 661
  • A55B2E1B-8105-4A36-9D0D-B818EC807B29.jpeg
    A55B2E1B-8105-4A36-9D0D-B818EC807B29.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 610
  • EE12E986-5645-4763-BD74-CD17AE7421ED.jpeg
    EE12E986-5645-4763-BD74-CD17AE7421ED.jpeg
    1,001 KB · Views: 571

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Side by side with iPhone X, this looks like someone took a piss on the display.

Even after turning on night mode for X, the XS MAX is still warmer.

This is not an acceptable quality for its price tag.

IMAG0317.jpg

Reactions: mi7chy

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
My XS Max has a terrible shift and is noticeable even when looking straight on. It’s a full on yellow colour when looking straight on but there’s a pinkish hue coming in from either the top or the bottom depending on how you’re holding it. Because the phone is so big, I’m moving the phone slightly all the time to reach different parts of the screen and the rapid change to pink and then yellow is giving me a headache.

Wasn’t like this on my previous X, this will be going back to the Apple Store on Monday as soon as I’m back home.

Here’s some pictures to show what I mean:

yea mine is like a lite version of this but the pink hovers in the middle and not on the top/bottom. probably returning for another. 2 is typically my threshold before i move on; my fingers are crossed.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Oled TV panels are meant to be used before calibrating for a few hundred hours, as the TV runs a quick screen compensation cycle after you turn it off with the remote (have to leave power on) It reduces banding and IR etc. On my Sony AF8 its after four hours I believe.

My TV is quite yellowish to some but its how its meant to look, colours are vibrant and not blue tinted. As others have said people are used to cooler blue screens. I have a slight off axis shift to a bluer colour on my Xs but I don't hold it at almost 45 degrees, also true tone is very different coming from my old iPhone 7 but so far I'm liking it. This could be generally more about perception coming from an older phone to a new one than actual issues, but there will always be those that have genuine issues. I'd stick with it and see how it looks once your eyes have gotten used to it. I bet your old iPhone will look way to blue.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Apple Support said on the phone: It’s is a defective screen and not caused by OLED technology.

Apple is wrong!

I checked the store and ALL devices had the „yellow spot angle view issue“. Even the previous iPhone X.

Its caused by the OLED screen. You have three dofferent options:

1. Keep it and live with the anglie view issue of Apples OLEDS

2. Switch to iPhone XR with a LCD screen

3. Wait for Micro LED iPhone generations.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just accept that OLED has a slightly yellow tone? Using iPhones side by side when I was with colleagues in Germany over the past few days and it seems normal to me unless the settings can be changed?

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Not sure anyone is aware but there is a screen color temp slider built in. It’s been there a while and I’ve seen it but I always attributed it to night shift intensity. However, it adjusts the display itself, with or without true tone.

Try it. I think this will help solve a lot of people’s issues. :D
No, this is just for when night shift is on hence why it's in the night shift setting. You see a change when adjusting the slider because the phone is giving you an example of how it will look, then it switches back to standard until night shift is on.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
You have TWO SETTINGS/OPTIONS. Nightshift and color temperature.They are both in different places in settings.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
Did changing the setting a help anyone? So far it’s okay for me but yes I still notice the yellowish tint when I tilt the screen. Is this enough to make people take it back?

Carb0n12

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
My XS Max looks completely fine to me. The color accuracy is great and there is no major blue shift (little compared to my previous X), even with true tone on. Color shift is there, however it isn't as blatant compared to my X. I professionally calibrate all of my displays at home for video and photo editing. I can say with confidence that my Max is well within the acceptable accuracy range and warmth levels.

With that being said, yes the phone is indeed warmer than the X and considerably more warmer than any iPhone below the 8 series w/o true tone and the OLED panel. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. It seems like a lot of iPhone users aren't used to color accurate and/or warm screens in general. The screen will stabilize over time and you will get used to it or you wont. That's the "con" so to speak of OLED displays.

Welcome to bleeding edge technology.

I compared my XS Max to the Note 9, S9+ and Google Pixel and Pixel XL at Best Buy. The Note 9 and S9+ have the same yellow-ish tint as the XS Max, although they were not as yellow. The Google Pixel and Pixel XL screens looked bad compared to the rest. Due to my experience, I am very comfortable and happy with my XS Max with true tone on. I'll be keeping this one for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: TL24 and dsc888

cwilliams706

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2017
Columbus, GA
This was a great thread for me to read. I initially thought this was an issue, but I vaguely remember something similar when I first started using the X last year. It doesn’t bother me, my eyes just need to adjust again. I’ll try comparing to other display devices to determine whether or not mine has a problem with the display. Thank you for sharing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.