Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
You have TWO SETTINGS/OPTIONS. Nightshift and color temperature.They are both in different places in settings.
Not seeing it. Search brings up setting linked with night shift.

33ACB23B-55B2-464F-8645-13DFAF09316B.png

E9_A24816_0_F54_4_AC0_B6_F0_E76_BBB5_CC980.png

Last edited:

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
My Max screen looks like piss next to my 8 Plus, so disappointed. There is just no comparison. Besides being much more yellow it doesn’t reach anywhere near the same max brightness, which is not what I expected at all.

I’ll have to return it which stinks. I asked my non-tech person wife to look at both and she immediately said the Max is much more yellow, although she preferred that because she thinks it’s easier on the eyes. F that I say, for $1099 plus tax I want white to look like white not white snow that has been pissed on by a dog!

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
My Max screen looks like piss next to my 8 Plus, so disappointed. There is just no comparison. Besides being much more yellow it doesn’t reach anywhere near the same max brightness, which is not what I expected at all.

I’ll have to return it which stinks. I asked my non-tech person wife to look at both and she immediately said the Max is much more yellow, although she preferred that because she thinks it’s easier on the eyes. F that I say, for $1099 plus tax I want white to look like white not white snow that has been pissed on by a dog!

The same thing happened to me. Screen was so yellow it was immediately noticeable and it also wouldn’t get that bright. In my case the top half of the brightness slider didn’t even do anything. I played with it some more and tried to ignore it and then suddenly the screen jumped in brightness. Not a smooth transition, it jumped from nearly 50% to 100% in a second, but the brightness slider stayed at 100% the whole time. Once this happened it looked less yellow and the brightness slider worked. It dropped back down and jumped back up a few times so I restarted and it’s been fine since. The display is still warmer, but it doesn’t look as orange/yellow as before. Fingers crossed it a glitch.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Don’t think it’s a warm or cold, blue or yellow thing. The phones with the problem will show a yellow tint straight on with True Tone on or off and then shift to blue if you tilt it just a little.
So is this shift to blue when tilting it from side to side normal?
[doublepost=1537617519][/doublepost]
That’s a known OLED off-axis color shift issue. Affects all OLED. Some worse than others with the early Pixel 2 XL being really bad.
Huh, we have an OLED TV and I’ve never notice the tint shift when watching it from an angle.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
So is this shift to blue when tilting it from side to side normal?
[doublepost=1537617519][/doublepost]
Huh, we have an OLED TV and I’ve never notice the tint shift when watching it from an angle.
Yes it‘s normal for OLED. So I order a iPhone XR with a IPS display.

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
Every year, people bring this up and guess what it goes away the longer you use your phone. Have had iphone and ipad every year and never an issue!
Sometimes it doesn't. My X after a year still had unusually non-uniformity on the whites the whole time. I went through quite a few X's last year because of it. My XS that I received yesterday has the nicest screen I've yet to find on an OLED iPhone, HOWEVER, I noticed two very small micro-scratches on it while checking for dust during the screen-protector installation. Ya just can't win! It's not noticeable at all with the screen protector on, but pisses me off knowing they're there. I think I'm keeping it though. I seemed to have gotten close to winning the screen uniform lottery and don't wanna have another experience of going through phone after phone and feeling like an idiot at the store. I do kinda wish I went with the Gold color though..
[doublepost=1537618892][/doublepost]
I think its not a problem when the whole screen has the same color.

But on mine you can see a gradient (from yellow to white) from the bottom screen to the top screen.
Yes. This is the problem. If it was uniform, I wouldn't care.

Last edited:

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
This is how Apples OLED's screens are...they were that way last year as well. If you want a cooler look adjust the color hues simple as that. Not everyone prefers cool screens. I also own a Note 9 for work and would take the Max screen any day over those artificial colors Samsung produces. Its a subjective topic as one screen will not please all.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
This happened last year with the X. There is a guide for adjusting the color settings in display accommodations. That did the trick for me.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA

How about don’t look at your 8 plus anymore. You will get use to the Max color.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
People stop talking about the hue slide it reduced brightness and makes other colours off its not a temp slider and the glue issue is lies, my x was much brighter and white the max is low and yellow every apple screen mac iphones ipads always has this issue everyone should be exactly the same, this is ruining my experience on such a good phone, i look at screen all the time, i dont wanna play this lottery getting a good screen this phone is mad expensive this is out of order the nits brightness is so low my x on max is so much nicer

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Perfect video about the issue:

Two different technologies, two different reactions.

The OLED has greater viewing angles with more color shift. The LCD has lesser viewing angles with a more gradual / different color shift.

Wouldn’t say this is an issue, per say, more of a characteristic of the display technology being used. Perfect blacks are a characteristic of OLED panels, while LCD’s blacks are brighter in color. This isn’t to say LCD screens have an “issue” with black level.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
My XS Max has a terrible shift and is noticeable even when looking straight on. It’s a full on yellow colour when looking straight on but there’s a pinkish hue coming in from either the top or the bottom depending on how you’re holding it. Because the phone is so big, I’m moving the phone slightly all the time to reach different parts of the screen and the rapid change to pink and then yellow is giving me a headache.

Wasn’t like this on my previous X, this will be going back to the Apple Store on Monday as soon as I’m back home.

Here’s some pictures to show what I mean:
That looks like some screens on the X last year. I had to swap multiple times to get a good one. Unfortunately, it looks like this year is no different and it comes down to this variance, which means it’s the screen lottery all over again.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Lcd is better oled even the slightest move changed hue on max looking down and then tinting slight changes ips lcd is better
The OLED color shifting is a pain in my eyes to view.

I wished Apple has made also a 6.5“ LCD version.

dvyio

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
I noticed yesterday that my XS Max screen seemed a little warm straight on, so I turned True Tone off, which helped. But when I tilt it around 45° in any direction it gets cooler (and looks more like I expected it to).

I could live with it if I had to, but if Apple eventually offers a replacement then I’d take them up on it.

A friend of mine also has the same issue with their XS Max.

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
Personally I would rather have the Samsung display.

Wonder if there is a way to tell which you got?

Apple mixing Samsung and LG displays together i think stinks, I’d like to know which before I make a purchase.

To me it’s important as I trust Samsung displays that have earned deserved praise where LG is still playing catch up and dosent have the best track record.

One of the main reasons (and others) last year I didn’t go to Android was the OLED display made by Samsung on the X.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

No it was only roumered that apple would be mixing displays for next year. Not this year.

shadow82x

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
New Jersey
I have 2 XS Max which are pretty much identical in white temperature (there's a variance, but very minor) but where they mainly differ is:
- Viewing angles
- Color shift

One has a uniform purple hue if you shift the phone very slightly whereas the other has a very subtle light blue/green hue color shift. Yet oddly the one with the purple hue is the one that has better viewing angles. This is a lottery, but personally I'd prefer one with the subtle color shift.

If you saw these displays in person you'd think they're made by different manufacturers. And maybe they are. (LG and Samsung?)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.