Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Did your mate buy it from a different store? Perhaps try your luck there as they might've gotten the good batch.

That’s good to know. So there may be hope for a return and replacement with a better unit. With the X, certain serial numbers were better than others.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Great. So I will swap my device on monday.

I‘m so happy. I thought this is an general OLED issue and I have to switch to the XR LCD iPhone.

Can‘t wait to test my swapped device.

Many thanks Cutiekitty for your fast feedback.
Setup your replacement instore because theres zero guarantee you don't get another bad one. Check the fit and finish as well. Swapped out a few X last year and they all had different screens and/or the metal band was sharp and uneven.
[doublepost=1537570469][/doublepost]
That’s good to know. So there may be hope for a return and replacement with a better unit. With the X, certain serial numbers were better than others.
Meh. The serial number lottery doesn't really work and is more of a wild goose chase.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
It‘s not a problem when the screen is yellow OR white.

It‘s a problem when the screen is yellow AND white at the same time (white on the top, yellow on the bottom). And when you lift your phone a few millimeter, yellow is on the top and white ob the bottom.

Apple Support said on the phone: It’s is a defective screen and not caused by OLED technology.

Reactions: WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
It‘s not a problem when the screen is yellow OR white.

It‘s a problem when the screen is yellow AND white at the same time (white on the top, yellow on the bottem).
Agreed with the white and yellow but mine is more yellow about a quarter way down.

This forum shows it the worst as there are a mix of light colours across the screen.

Reactions: lancastor

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Just got mine. Screen looks flawless. No yellow tint unless that God awful True Tone is on.

Congrats. True tone is so pointless on the X, what are Apple thinking?

I can't go back to my 7+ now, the screen feels like a 5 series! The Max is so damn pretty.

Reactions: Baldilocks

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
People having to turn off True Tone don’t have good screens. Last year I went through many X’s. Some of them were yellow for sure, but I got a good one eventually. Good OLED screen does look good with True Tone on. If your screen is too yellow when True Tone is on, your phone is a dud.

Last edited:

Dkoc13

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Here’s mine from straight on top...what you guys think?

Attachments

• CC3046FE-D97B-4B2C-A351-1A061635D821.jpeg
    CC3046FE-D97B-4B2C-A351-1A061635D821.jpeg
    632.7 KB · Views: 804

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
OP claims every apple product. Sounds like a personal taste of how screen looks. Hard to believe many years of the same thing, yet still purchases the devices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: lykbutta

dazultra

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2017
Tottaly yellow.
Lack of contrast & highlights compared to my Macbook Pro & X

(Washed out and muddy)

Colour shift on angles!!!!!

Dimmer than my X

£1250!!!!

WTF

Reactions: Sensamic

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Here’s mine from straight on top...what you guys think?
What do you think? That's all that matters. Don't look for issues.
[doublepost=1537572744][/doublepost]
OP claims every apple product. Sounds like a personal taste of how screen looks. Hard to believe many years of the same thing, yet still purchases the devices. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why not? Apple make fantastic hardware. There are screens on their products which look great - why should he not expect to receive the best version of the product sold. Why when he doesn't get a 100% perfect product should he not make every effort to get one.

Its all about personal taste, not our fault if Apple have variations of the same product which create visual differences. It's not like preferring a black phone but buying a gold one then complaining it's not black enough. These screens shouldn't appear yellowish. Is the Google landing page yellowish or white? If it appears yellowish to you do you just accept it or do you think "that doesnt look right"?

Last edited:

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
Great. So I will swap my device on monday.

I‘m so happy. I thought this is an general OLED issue and I have to switch to the XR LCD iPhone.

Can‘t wait to test my swapped device.

Many thanks Cutiekitty for your fast feedback.
I do advise to fiddle with all the settings you can first like the nightshift colour slider etc. How bad is yours? Any pics?

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Not sure anyone is aware but there is a screen color temp slider built in. It’s been there a while and I’ve seen it but I always attributed it to night shift intensity. However, it adjusts the display itself, with or without true tone.

Try it. I think this will help solve a lot of people’s issues. :D

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
At store today compared XS & XSM screens. Turned off True Tone. Both slightly cold. Almost identical.TT back on and they went warm.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Don’t think it’s a warm or cold, blue or yellow thing. The phones with the problem will show a yellow tint straight on with True Tone on or off and then shift to blue if you tilt it just a little.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
Don’t think it’s a warm or cold, blue or yellow thing. The phones with the problem will show a yellow tint straight on with True Tone on or off and then shift to blue if you tilt it just a little.
That’s a known OLED off-axis color shift issue. Affects all OLED. Some worse than others with the early Pixel 2 XL being really bad.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
That’s a known OLED off-axis color shift issue. Affects all OLED. Some worse than others with the early Pixel 2 XL being really bad.

Sure doesn’t. Crappy screens like the Pixel yes but I’ve owned a number of Samsungs including one I have now, the S8 Plus, and it doesn’t change tint like what I’m seeing. I can compare them side by side.

Reactions: jamesrick80

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
My XS is more yellow compared to my 6S. But compared to my iMac 27", my XS is more blue. That calmed me a lot. Though comparing my 6S and XS side by I think I prefer my 6S.

I hope that the 6S is calibrated too much towards the blue side.

Last edited:

lkmd

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2013
I got the XS and compared to my X straight off from just powering it on I saw that it is significantly warmer in display colour, I am currently restoring from backup and going to fiddle with the settings to see if that helps and if not then i'm sorry but its going back for a swap, people are right when you pay so much for a device you expect better.
[doublepost=1537588946][/doublepost]Same here. I compared my X and new XS. XS not as bright and definitely a yellow tint.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I did compare my buddy’s xs to my x and noticed it was warmer. The edges between the glass and side were sharp too. Not seamless like mine. His was a bit brighter tho autobrightness off at 100percent. He has no screen protector I have tempered glass which makes it a little less bright.

My x is on 11 tho and his 12

But I still think it was panel variation calibration not the software

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Not yellow tint, but a different screen issue here.

Just opened mine. First thing I notice after peeling off the factory protective film is a small, 1/3rd inch, horizontal scratch near the middle of the screen towards the right side of the screen. Only noticeable when light glares off of the screen and invisible once a screen protector is applied.

I think the screen should be perfect when paying $1500+ for a phone, but I'm tired of exchanging things for small cosmetic defects like this. Plus none of the stores around me have any in-stock anyway to do an exchange...

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I think the screen should be perfect when paying $1500+ for a phone, but I'm tired of exchanging things for small cosmetic defects like this. Plus none of the stores around me have any in-stock anyway to do an exchange...

I agree 100% I inspected mine really well today... just before I put a tempered glass screen protector on it. This screen is a bit more flat than my previous iPhones I've had, so the installation of the tempered glass was pretty flawless and really unless you look hard isn't that noticeable. I actually like the feel of the tempered glass better than the actual screen itself.

I'd be looking at an exchange if I were you. I sure hate that for you though.. just a pain in the butt.

My screen doesn't look yellow and it's certainly bright enough so I am satisfied.

Reactions: Carb0n12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.