Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Lets hope it doesnt come to that, will try all the settings first fingers crossed
[doublepost=1537557805][/doublepost]All is fine after my full iTunes restore!
Why, was true tone off in your backup? Color filters applied in backup? That's the only reason it would change after restore.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Most probably main thing is its gone so its fine
When you stare at your display and tilt your iPhone 3 millimeters in a direction WHITE is always the same color? No gradient, no change from white to yellow and yellow to white?

Best testing is to open the notes app and look at the background.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I went to Grand Central and checked the new iPhones. Last year I had to swap my X many times in order to get the right/good screen. I compared my phone to 2 Max's and 1 regular XS. They were not yellow at all. However, all 3 phones were a bit dimmer, it's not the end of the world and probably even negligible in real life. One Max screen was uneven in brightness, which is expected and comes down to the usual variance. Overall, I have to say it looks like this year the iPhones are better than what we had when the X went on sale last year: there were so many uneven or pink screens.
I gotta say that the Max looks very tempting now that I've tried it in my hands. It feels light like many have already indicated. Also, I sure did check the camera and compared it side by side with my X: it is better! The images are sharper, more in focus, maybe even tad brighter, and that Smart HDR def gets the balance right and it's more improved compared to the regular X, so Apple didn't lie here, as I previously presumed.

a4k04

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
Wow, so much hate for the OP. If you all have no problem with your screens and never notice, kudos to you. No need to bash the guy. The vast majority of phones have no issue. The ones that do have issues, they are absolutely real. When a $550 OnePlus has a better screen than a $1100 iPhone X it is totally unacceptable.

I come to this website 2/3 times a year for a few days at a time around launches and I immediately recognized this clown as a serial complainer. Literally the only user I would recognize.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Odd that given your unfortunate situation, posting on MacRumors is a current priority.

As someone who's garage burned down at the beginning of July, I can testify that in those situations, you're not always thinking clearly. You're looking for an escape. You're aching for some semblance of your once normal life (AKA getting online). Our garage was detached, so no damage to the main house. What I went through doesn't even begin to compare, but I can certainly understand that frame of mind. I'm not excusing the original post, but I can sympathize and understand. It sounds like a horrible experience. I don't know that I would have reacted in the same way. But I think we can find better things to do than pick on someone when they've just gone through a major natural disaster.

Reactions: draa and DomW25

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
I just got my SG Max. The screen is yellow. Even more disgusting yellow with true tone on. The left is my perfect X screen. So disappointing. But I will play the lottery or just keep the X if no phone has a white screen. I had to change my initial X out for the one I have because of crappy blue tint.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,884

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I just got my SG Max. The screen is yellow. Even more disgusting yellow with true tone on. The left is my perfect X screen. So disappointing. But I will play the lottery or just keep the X if no phone has a white screen. I had to change my initial X out for the one I have because of crappy blue tint.

Great example of a good one vs a bad one. Over the years, including with the X, so many have tried to claim its an "intentional" move to warmer screens when it clearly isn't. I've heard that about every iPhone since the 3GS, and yet here we are, somehow looking at a perfect 2017 iPhone X screen.

The yellow screens are always a defect.

The yellow screens are never intentional

The yellow screens are never glue

100% should be destroyed/returned/not tolerated

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
Great example of a good one vs a bad one. Over the years, including with the X, so many have tried to claim its an "intentional" move to warmer screens when it clearly isn't. I've heard that about every iPhone since the 3GS, and yet here we are, somehow looking at a perfect 2017 iPhone X screen.

The yellow screens are always a defect.

The yellow screens are never intentional

The yellow screens are never glue

100% should be destroyed/returned/not tolerated

Absolutely agree. When I did the return last year, I had my phone against the one I was picking plus 3 display models. All looked like **** except for the good phone I have now. Even the genius was blown away. Horrible Apple, horrible. I think I'm going to return mine and wait a month or two. Last year I got my X a month after release date, so there were other batches coming in for returns. Unfortunately I believe all of these first go arounds will be yellow. And you might not know how bad it is unless you have a good one to compare it too. Man am I pissed that I even have to deal with this hassle.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Doesn’t True Tone address the yellow tinting issue....right when you set up. I toggled between the settings and it definitely made a difference. I chose to keep it on and the somewhat warmer tone.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Absolutely agree. When I did the return last year, I had my phone against the one I was picking plus 3 display models. All looked like **** except for the good phone I have now. Even the genius was blown away. Horrible Apple, horrible. I think I'm going to return mine and wait a month or two. Last year I got my X a month after release date, so there were other batches coming in for returns. Unfortunately I believe all of these first go arounds will be yellow. And you might not know how bad it is unless you have a good one to compare it too. Man am I pissed that I even have to deal with this hassle.

Yeah, one thing thats been an absolute consistent trend is that launch phones are yellow and the good screens come back in 4-6 weeks. Thats why my friends and family, who dont care, always get good screens and I've always had to battle for a decent screen.

I think it's the manufacturing process. The new machines deposit a yellow film on the initial batches which wears off as more phones are made. This is a working hypothesis. but in any case, the good screens will eventually be here.
[doublepost=1537564538][/doublepost]
Doesn’t True Tone address the yellow tinting issue....right when you set up. I toggled between the settings and it definitely made a difference. I chose to keep it on and the somewhat warmer tone.

No, True Tone will make a yellow screen even yellower. True Tone cant tell what the screen looks like, just what the output is supposed to be that then gets displayed on the screen.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
I won't say this doesn't exist as there are some really bad phones out there, I have had a few myself. Had one with a replacement X last year. It was bad. Yellow/Pink and some really bad piss yellow with some 6/7's. Hell, all previous phones. Sometimes there are no issues.

My Max is fine. No issue. My X I got when I switched to Verizon, no issue. I also did not compare my Max to my X when I swapped them a few minutes ago. I learned not to do that. Why? I don't look for problems. If I don't see/notice anything out of the box, why go comparing? Why set myself up?

I will also say, the screens will adjust over time as well. So give it a bit. However, if you are unhappy - swap it.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
See for yourself. Even worse with Trutone.

Umm.. truetone is on, on the right but not on the left. The button is on but its not "active". At least it's not sensing enough difference to shift so it's staying super blue/white.

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
I won't say this doesn't exist as there are some really bad phones out there, I have had a few myself. Had one with a replacement X last year. It was bad. Yellow/Pink and some really bad piss yellow with some 6/7's. Hell, all previous phones. Sometimes there are no issues.

My Max is fine. No issue. My X I got when I switched to Verizon, no issue. I also did not compare my Max to my X when I swapped them a few minutes ago. I learned not to do that. Why? I don't look for problems. If I don't see/notice anything out of the box, why go comparing? Why set myself up?

I will also say, the screens will adjust over time as well. So give it a bit. However, if you are unhappy - swap it.

When I am spending $1250 on a phone, that screen better be white. It's unacceptable for that amount of money, and while I like the phone (speakers are awesome), I won't give Apple my money for this problem. It's cool if you can accept it. I think the glue drying thing or manufacturing process making it yellow is a myth. I also like photography, and my iMac Pro screen is flawless and calibrated. It's not acceptable to me. I'll compare it to the display models. If they are all the same, I'll return it. If there is a good one, I'll get the serial number and see if the replacement has the same. If not, I can wait a month or so for issues to iron out.
[doublepost=1537565350][/doublepost]
Yes they do. :)

Trust me. All screens adjust over time. Thats why the need to be re-calibrated. Lol.

I would agree with this to some extent. With brightness and contrast things change, but the screen color itself should not change dramatically. It won't go from yellow to white.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
When I am spending $1250 on a phone, that screen better be white. It's unacceptable for that amount of money, and while I like the phone (speakers are awesome), I won't give Apple my money for this problem. It's cool if you can accept it. I think the glue drying thing or manufacturing process making it yellow is a myth. I also like photography, and my iMac Pro screen is flawless and calibrated. It's not acceptable to me. I'll compare it to the display models. If they are all the same, I'll return it. If there is a good one, I'll get the serial number and see if the replacement has the same. If not, I can wait a month or so for issues to iron out.

You do you. :)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Haven’t read the whole thread, but turn off True Tone. The amount of yellow is ridiculous (and nothing like an iPad Pro’s True Tone setup which is actually decent).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.