Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I called the Apple Support and we will wait until Wednesday.

Apple support told me it's a brand new device and there is a chance that the issue solves when I used it for a few day. When the white to yellow gradient is still visible next week then the iPhone XS Max will be swapped with a new one.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Do you have the Gold model? If so, I think it matches with the color ;).
Hmm. I wonder when Apple will do the color matching scheme. jk

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
The tint shift when off-axis is normal for the OLED iPhones (and possibly other OLED phones). I've noticed it and these things normally do my head in, but it's a characteristic of the screen technology, so it won't bother me. Suggest you either deal with it, or return the phone. It shouldn't be new news as the world stopped spinning last year when it was noticed on the X.

Get an XR

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone
There’s a common denominator here...

Reactions: chabig and 1144557

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I personally prefer a warmer screen. Not p1$$ yellow.. but warm.. no cold blue for me.
[doublepost=1537541234][/doublepost]I just turned True Tone off on my 8+ and man.. it’s cold. Much prefer the TT color.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I actually ask for the yellow-ist screen possible. Like some enjoy wearing yellow shades for the ocular acuity they provide, I like the yellow screen for ease of reading and browsing. Why people reject this gift is beyond me.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Personally I would rather have the Samsung display.

Wonder if there is a way to tell which you got?

Apple mixing Samsung and LG displays together i think stinks, I’d like to know which before I make a purchase.

To me it’s important as I trust Samsung displays that have earned deserved praise where LG is still playing catch up and dosent have the best track record.

One of the main reasons (and others) last year I didn’t go to Android was the OLED display made by Samsung on the X.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesrick80

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Wow, so much hate for the OP. If you all have no problem with your screens and never notice, kudos to you. No need to bash the guy. The vast majority of phones have no issue. The ones that do have issues, they are absolutely real. When a $550 OnePlus has a better screen than a $1100 iPhone X it is totally unacceptable.

Reactions: ventmore

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone
Like a damn chump I went in on a SG Max despite having issues with lasts years X. Straight away I can see the pissy yellow effect when looking straight on, this is with True Tone off. Tilt sideways slightly and it’s a really nice white display. Literally rock the phone slightly up and down and the stain moves. Sigh, another year another return.

Real shame as the physical hardware is perfect and the device looks and feels like a beast. But I ain’t looking at a tea stain screen for 12 months!

Will fully setup from backup and give it a couple of days. Will report back if it improves or if I get used to it....

Last edited:

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Straight away I can see the pissy yellow effect when looking straight on, this is with True Tone off. Tilt sideways slightly and it’s a really nice white display. Literally rock the phone slightly up and down and the stain moves.
SAME here. So the question: Apple offers me to return the device. But I think it's on ALL OLED XS Max devices.

It's an OLED technologie issue and returning the devivce doesn't change anything. Correct or not? Or should I order a swap device?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I’ve learned to wait at least a month before buying any new iPhone. The first batch always has a higher rate of yellow screens. I think it has to do with the manufacturing process, which can deposit a yellow film when the machines creating the panels are new.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I will swap my device, because only two persons of thousands Macrumors users have the same issue. So it's 100% sure that I have received a defective display.

I will report about the new display when I got the new iPhone XS Max from Apple.

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
I got the XS and compared to my X straight off from just powering it on I saw that it is significantly warmer in display colour, I am currently restoring from backup and going to fiddle with the settings to see if that helps and if not then i'm sorry but its going back for a swap, people are right when you pay so much for a device you expect better.

John webstar44

Suspended
May 9, 2018
I got the XS and compared to my X straight off from just powering it on I saw that it is significantly warmer in display colour, I am currently restoring from backup and going to fiddle with the settings to see if that helps and if not then i'm sorry but its going back for a swap, people are right when you pay so much for a device you expect better.
Hope your swap goes well I would keep returning it till you get one that your happy with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.