Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
This is interesting BUT I gotta say that the X definitely is like white on steroids. If anything it's that blue white Samsung style. It reminds me of my old iPhone 4S before my X. In reality, the yellowy white is more accurate!

LOL you can keep telling yourself that. The X in that picture looks like perfection, and it's what I personally want. The contrast and colors are waay better.

Elwots

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2016
The color on mine changes slightly when I turn the phone, but it doesn’t bother me one bit. It’s just how these OLED screens are. It also tends to get better after a little while. My X did the same thing, and I totally forgot about it until just now.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Compared mine to a friends gold Max. In settings when you tilt mine away the text gets paler. The gold Max text appears to get darker, the shift is towards red while my SG shifts towards yellow. Same thing I saw over and over with X last year.

Damn shame as I'm actually liking the Xs Max feel and size. Face id is also quick with no fails so far.

mebehere

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2012
My first gen iPhone developed the dead strip and was replaced with a refurb. The phone itself was crap and didn’t even last a year without being plugged in.

Then I got the iPhone 4 and compared the two just for the increased resolution, and the refurb’s screen was red as hell. I had never noticed it before, but it was crazy red next to the 4, which looked great.

Variations in color absolutely happen. The way I see it, some people come to complain while others come to see if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. It’s the tone of the post that gets people riled up.

Now, back to my 6 which looks fine to me.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
How is this BS? I provided pictures with and without Trutone. Perhaps there are some good ones out there like my X, which is flawless. But you can clearly see my Max is not.

You actually have a good phone. Problem is, you compared it to another phone. No two screens are identical. Use your new phone for a while and don't look at or compare it to your old phone. Unless there is clear and evident issues right out of the box, it's just your mind messing with you. Yes there are variations but I am telling you, things will simmer down.

I've been doing this for YEARS. Lol. I know my ****. Keep the phone and don't play the swap game unless there is a real issue. Stop comparing.

Reactions: dsc888

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
The color filter does help a bit. I’ll play it by ear and if it still bothers me the next few days it’s going back. I thought it was nonsense too but it’s real. As far as OLED screens are concerned Samsung screens don’t do this.

KrisYYC

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
I have no yellow tint on mine with true tone turned off. However I find true tone more aggressive on my XS compared to my iPhone 8.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
The color filter does help a bit. I’ll play it by ear and if it still bothers me the next few days it’s going back. I thought it was nonsense too but it’s real. As far as OLED screens are concerned Samsung screens don’t do this.

They do, it's just they have software to allow you to adjust the color temperature. They also set to MAX contrast (bright white/blue/VIBRANT). Most people never change it. Apple does not. At least not natively. Apple really needs to add that feature as it would help a lot of people.

Reactions: jamesrick80

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Can’t believe it! I got a perfect iPhone! No yellow! As a matter of fact, it seems as if Apple deleted Yellow as a color option on the OLED itself! I verified this by checking the logs and not finding the yellow color code! Amazing!! Thanks Apple!!

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
I just got my SG Max. The screen is yellow. Even more disgusting yellow with true tone on. The left is my perfect X screen. So disappointing. But I will play the lottery or just keep the X if no phone has a white screen. I had to change my initial X out for the one I have because of crappy blue tint.

Why don’t you just change the hue yourself in settings?

Either way like I said the blue screen is whats not normal. The reason ppl are putting up a fuss with “yellow” screens is because ppl associate yellow as ugly

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Why don’t you just change the hue yourself in settings?

Either way like I said the blue screen is whats not normal. The reason ppl are putting up a fuss with “yellow” screens is because ppl associate yellow as ugly

The color filter isn't a true fix. it's not adjusting the actual white point, its putting an additional color layer over all the other layers on the screen. That can look artificial and reduce contrast. I personally can't stand it.

Apple needs to include a native white point adjustment setting, just like they do on Mac OS.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Agreed. Screens should look white like fresh snow and not peed on snow or yellow teeth.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is probably a salesman providing FUD to avoid returns.
100%.

Theres always alot of clap back from people who don't have an issue or dont see it. Can't they just be happy they got a good one while understanding it's an issue for others? Oops sorry I forgot it's the internet :rolleyes:

Reactions: StumpyBloke

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Always have this dam issue with every apple product, the XS Max is amazing screen size but I turned of True Tone and max brightness and its so yellow as I slightly turn the screen its so white and blueish why does this always happen it toke me ages to find new X last year that I was happy with, the tint issue is worse than X slightly movement its beautiful look straight at it has such a yellow tone
Can you post a picture?

OLED displays tend to be yellow. Just look at the AMOLED screens in latest Samsung flagship phones. They're SO SO yellow. I hate this issue.

dan9700

Suspended
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Guys listern this is not right my mates xs max is much cooler white tone mine is huge yellow, every dam year this happenes i shouldn't think is this screen gonna be ok, every phone should be the same, and no changing hue in display makes it look darker its not good this isnt right i love the size but every time i look its changing tone with the heat

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
When you stare at your display and tilt your iPhone 3 millimeters in a direction WHITE is always the same color? No gradient, no change from white to yellow and yellow to white?

Best testing is to open the notes app and look at the background.
Slight yellow when tilted but it’s so minimal I don’t even notice it unless I’m purposely looking for it

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Slight yellow when tilted but it’s so minimal I don’t even notice it unless I’m purposely looking for it
Great. So I will swap my device on monday.

I‘m so happy. I thought this is an general OLED issue and I have to switch to the XR LCD iPhone.

Can‘t wait to test my swapped device.

Many thanks Cutiekitty for your fast feedback.

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
Well I got my silver Max a couple hours ago and when I turned it on the first thing I have was, “Man that’s yellow as hell.” Then I turned True Tone off and it looked blue as hell. Compared it to my jet black iPhone 7 Plus, and with True Tone off, my Max looks the same as the 7. So for me turning True Tone off made all the difference.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Guys listern this is not right my mates xs max is much cooler white tone mine is huge yellow

Did your mate buy it from a different store? Perhaps try your luck there as they might've gotten the good batch.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Guys listern this is not right my mates xs max is much cooler white tone mine is huge yellow, every dam year this happenes i shouldn't think is this screen gonna be ok, every phone should be the same, and no changing hue in display makes it look darker its not good this isnt right i love the size but every time i look its changing tone with the heat
I don't doubt you at all but some people always will. Apple is always held in high regard because they put out fantastic hardware but their still doing it at a cost on high volume production lines. All manafacturing has tolerance levels and these screens differences are acceptable to Apple. We are the small minority of people who see the differences so we have to deal with it via exchange or voting with our feet and buying elsewhere. Them's the choices.
[doublepost=1537570291][/doublepost]
Well I got my silver Max a couple hours ago and when I turned it on the first thing I have was, “Man that’s yellow as hell.” Then I turned True Tone off and it looked blue as hell. Compared it to my jet black iPhone 7 Plus, and with True Tone off, my Max looks the same as the 7. So for me turning True Tone off made all the difference.
As it will because true tone on the X series makes the screen pissy yellow. This is not a true tone issue and it would be best if people stop mentioning it. Glad you got a good one, congrats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.