Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Got two delivered and both are more white than my current X. That said, one phone was brighter than the other.
Turn off display accommodations under accessibility. It helps.
True Tone is also garbage, turn it off too.

They will vary per phone, last year I had one that was far too yellow so got it replaced. Good luck.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I bought the XS to replace my 7. The XS is much warmer than the 7. There is no uniformity issue but it looks clearly more yellowish. After playing around with it for a while with true tone on and off, I decided to switch off true tone for good. I am so used to colder "blue-ish" screens that I am more comfortable with it off.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Got two delivered and both are more white than my current X. That said, one phone was brighter than the other.
Turn off display accommodations under accessibility. It helps.
True Tone is also garbage, turn it off too.

They will vary per phone, last year I had one that was far too yellow so got it replaced. Good luck.
Turn off what in display accommodations? By default only auto brightness is on.

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014

"If the deal moves forward, the LG Display OLED screens will most likely be used for the iPhone XS and XS Max, the only iPhones that use OLED screens. They won’t be used for the cheaper iPhone XR, which was also announced on Wednesday, because it uses an LCD screen. LG uses OLED screens for its own V30 smartphone — which was called “an ugly disappointment” by my colleague Vlad Savov — and it currently supplies OLED screens for the Google Pixel 2 XL, which has also faced a host of display issues."

Cutiekitty92

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2015
UK
After speaking to apple on a support chat and reading this article it gives more light on the whole situation. I’ve decided mine is fine and after fiddling with settings it’s fine and I can live with it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208191

As states:
If you look at an OLED display off-angle, you might notice slight shifts in color and hue. This is a characteristic of OLED and is normal behavior. With extended long-term use, OLED displays can also show slight visual changes. This is also expected behavior and can include “image persistence” or “burn-in,” where the display shows a faint remnant of an image even after a new image appears on the screen. This can occur in more extreme cases such as when the same high contrast image is continuously displayed for prolonged periods of time. We’ve engineered the Super Retina display to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED "burn-in."

Reactions: lancastor

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
people gotta be picky

these phones are crazy expensive

the oled needs to be perfect
not made by LG

this mentality is off though; my LG made pixel 2xl screen is pretty amazing.

but yea, i like the max so much i might just bite the bullet and hunt for a good screen.

ApplePieAlaMode

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2014
San Diego, CA
Every year I get caught up in yellow-gate because for some reason my launch day phones are always yellow. I will say this. My screens have always cooled down within a few months. Always. I used to play the exchange game, and it wasn’t fun. Yes I saw variances in the yellow tone, but they always cooled down with usage. I know some say it’s glue drying, others say it’s natural calibration, and others say it’s software updates. All I can say is (in my experience with yellow screens) mine have always cooled and no, I didn’t just get used to it. It really did cool. I’m a photographer and hate how the yellow messes with the white highlights. Over time it got better and by the time the next (yellow) phone came, the older phone that was once yellow was nice and cool again. Try not to worry!!

Reactions: AbSoluTc

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
Every year I get caught up in yellow-gate because for some reason my launch day phones are always yellow. I will say this. My screens have always cooled down within a few months. Always. I used to play the exchange game, and it wasn’t fun. Yes I saw variances in the yellow tone, but they always cooled down with usage. I know some say it’s glue drying, others say it’s natural calibration, and others say it’s software updates. All I can say is (in my experience with yellow screens) mine have always cooled and no, I didn’t just get used to it. It really did cool. I’m a photographer and hate how the yellow messes with the white highlights. Over time it got better and by the time the next (yellow) phone came, the older phone that was once yellow was nice and cool again. Try not to worry!!

I say its placebo.

Joe h

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2017
Oled doesn’t do white, unless an extra white pixel is added, which strangely is only found in bargain TVs. LCD doesn’t do true black. Plasma is last display that could do both.

Reactions: Carb0n12

Carb0n12

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2017
Oled doesn’t do white, unless an extra white pixel is added, which strangely is only found in bargain TVs. LCD doesn’t do true black. Plasma is last display that could do both.

This. A lot of people do not understand (relatively young) OLED technology. OLED screens ALWAYS display a warmer/yellow tint, especially from Apple. The reasons why are simple:

1. Apple highly specializes in color accuracy reproduction and calibrations. The new iPhone(s) that utilize OLED technology are calibrated to the truest color imaginable with the technology at hand. They do this before they are packed in boxes and shipped/sent off.

2. In terms of professional digital color reproduction and calibration, white isn't necessarily white. A well calibrated and color accurate monitor/screen will ALWAYS display a hint of yellow and will give off a warm color. Those who aren't used to or trained on high quality, calibrated screens will notice the yellow/warmth right away and their eyes as well as their minds will reject it. This is normal.

We human beings favor the blue end of the light/color spectrum because it seems brighter and more neutral to our eyes. Just because a digital screen looks brighter and bluer (which is perceived natural to us) doesn't mean its overall correct in reality.

3. The OLED technology in modern day mobile devices is still young. The Note and Pixel lines all have been plagued with the same "issues"/complaints. Screen burn in, deeper than normal yellow tint, lack of uniformity and the like. Its because this technology is bleeding edge and takes years of RnD, and fixes to get them to where, in our (literal) eyes as the consumer, to satisfactory levels. Once again, even if the screen is absolutely perfect, it will still seem "yellow ish" to the average consumer.

4. I encourage everyone to go to their local electronics store (Best Buy, Apple, Fry's, Microcenter, etc), look for their devices that have OLED screens. Compare those devices to your non-OLED screens and your iPhone X/XS, Samsung Note 9, 9+ and Google Pixels. You'll notice that the yellow/reddish tint will still be there. The intensity varies between phone manufacturers and the screens themselves.

5. One last important thing to note: Your screen will "cool down" over time. Your eyes and mind will adjust to it and you will get used to it. Give it time, you WILL adapt to it. I personally can NOT go back to turning true tone off and/or use a screen/monitor that isn't professionally calibrated. Hell, even my work monitors and laptop screens are calibrated to the best of my ability and the best of the ability of the technologies within each device.

If you can't wait that long and are still miffed about the color after some time, adjust the color to your liking. You can either turn off true tone or go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Color Filters and adjust the color of your screen by yourself (self calibration). If all else fails and if you still aren't satisfied, simply return your iPhone before the 14 day mark. You shouldn't force yourself to use a $1000+ phone if you aren't satisfied with it.

To those who are experiencing MAJOR color uniformity and shift issues, please take it to your nearest apple store and have someone at the genius bar take a look at it and compare it to the iPhone(s) at their store. You may or may not need to get it replaced. A $1000+ phone should NOT have a bad screen. That is just it.

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008

I can attest to this. I have no issues with my Max. It’s gorgeous. Those of you with warmer displays, it will cool with time. Always does. It’s not a placebo. Post above is exactly what happens. Give it time. Unless there is evident issues where different parts of the screen have different shades (not normal), it will mellow out.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I can attest to this. I have no issues with my Max. It’s gorgeous. Those of you with warmer displays, it will cool with time. Always does. It’s not a placebo. Post above is exactly what happens. Give it time. Unless there is evident issues where different parts of the screen have different shades (not normal), it will mellow out.

Maybe it will like one shade, but it won't get near the X that was posted. Any significant cooing is eyes adjusting. As soon as the screen is placed next to the reference phone again, there goes that idea.

Reactions: Kristine

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
How to tell if you have a yellow screen?

Go to Apple store, compare to one of the display phones. Open settings app on each phone, turn off true tone on both, and then on any settings page hold them next to each other. Settings should be a blueish-grey with colorful icons. If it looks washed out and the colors aren't popping you got a bad screen.

Apple always has cooler, white, perfect screens on their display phones. Its basically bait and switch.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Was ready to exchange my Max because of the dim and yellow tinted screen however tried adjusting color tint intensity and hue first and this made a dramatic difference. Whites now look white, maybe just a touch warmer then my 8 Plus, which I am ok with. Colors pop a lot more, max brightness is a lot better. Now it looks like an improvement over the 8 Plus. This may be a keeper after all, I will continue to evaluate.

I don’t care if this is not what is considered the “correct” way to set the phone up, it needs to look good to my eyes and white with a heavy yellow tint is just not going to work for me.

Reactions: Kristine

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Was ready to exchange my Max because of the dim and yellow tinted screen however tried adjusting color tint intensity and hue first and this made a dramatic difference. Whites now look white, maybe just a touch warmer then my 8 Plus, which I am ok with. Colors pop a lot more, max brightness is a lot better. Now it looks like an improvement over the 8 Plus. This may be a keeper after all, I will continue to evaluate.

I don’t care if this is not what is considered the “correct” way to set the phone up, it needs to look good to my eyes and white with a heavy yellow tint is just not going to work for me.

The color filters will look artificial over time. Its placing another layer of color over everything. When you wake up itll be more noticeable that somethings off. I dont think this is the solution, you deserve a screen thats correct at the hardware level.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
At home I have the Samsung 8 and 9+ (had Note 9), iPhone X, and now the XS Max. I prefer neutral/natural looking screens (not warm, and not cool). I don’t use True Tone or Night Shift, and prefer not to use display accomodations.

My first XS Max was warmer than my X. Both have uniform displays. I went to my local Apple store yesterday and picked up a second XS Max. The second model has a very blue (but uniform) screen - similar to my Samsung 9+ (which is uniform and has minimal colour shift). The colour shift is way more significant on the second XS Max. The blacks on the second XS Max do look more ‘black’, but images look more accurate on the first XS Max. My X has the least amount of colour shift when tilting the device and has the nicest screen in my view.

If you do not compare the screens side-by-side (i.e., just using the phone as normal) then you cannot notice the big difference in screen temperature and your eyes do adjust - but you can notice the colour shift.

When in the Apple store yesterday, I played with many of their handsets and all had some sort of variation in screen temperature and all had some colour shift. The store lighting makes it difficult to determine how ‘significant’ the difference is, but it does exist.

I don’t think posting images of the screens is going to be of any use. I do not currently own a decent camera, and at the end of the day, I know there is a difference and I am the one who is using the device (I don’t need someone to tell me what phone I should keep). I’m just posting my experience for anyone who is interested or experienced a similar issue.

I’m not going to play the screen lottery. The second XS Max was purchased at the suggestion of my husband. I’m returning the second XS Max, but I’m not yet decided if I’ll keep the first XS Max or just stick my my X till next year. I prefer large screens, but for over $2000 AUD, I’m not willing to keep a device I’m not 100% happy with.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
The color filters will look artificial over time. Its placing another layer of color over everything. When you wake up itll be more noticeable that somethings off. I dont think this is the solution, you deserve a screen thats correct at the hardware level.

People tweak their TV’s all the time, and sometimes pay a lot of money to have an expert do it for them. To me changing some settings on a cell phone is no different. I’m glad Apple now provides the ability to do this.

Reactions: Nhwhazup and Pug72

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
What I want to know is if it is normal for these screens to shift tint as you rotate off axis. None of the Samsung phones I've owned have done this.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

iphone3gnj

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
People tweak their TV’s all the time, and sometimes pay a lot of money to have an expert do it for them. To me changing some settings on a cell phone is no different. I’m glad Apple now provides the ability to do this.

It’s very different. It’s applying a color filter vs true calibration. When you calibrate your TV, as I did with my plasma, you are correcting brightness, contrast, and RGB levels to get the color correct. Color filters are like putting on tinted sunglasses. They tint the normal colors not bring out the true colors. But again, at the end of the day if this makes you happy then so be it. I exprect more from a $1250 device. We all have our thresholds.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.