Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
My Max is slightly more yellow than my X. My screen seemed pretty good and uniform until...

...night shift turned on. Of course now it is more yellow BUT it is a pinkish color on the bottom half of screen and the correct warm in top. Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:

ilifecomputer

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
CA
My Max is slightly more yellow than my X. My screen seemed pretty good and uniform until...

...night shift turned on. Of course now it is more yellow BUT it is a pinkish color on the bottom half of screen and the correct warm in too. Anyone else have this issue?

Yea the one I'm happy with now (second unit) is uneven with truetone on but looks OK with it off. But liek someone said above, this is common since the birth of iphones. Anyone claiming they have a perfect unit can show me, Mr. eagle eyes, their phone and ill show them all the variances their device exhibits. I can spot it all.

Reactions: Audiochild

ArizonaKid

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
Arizona
The problem, or rather my not met exception, is the color shift at different angles.

I have access to a OnePlus 6 and Xiaomi Mi 8, both with Samsung OLED screens.
Neither present the color shift like the iPhone XS Max, which I noticed right away.

Yes, I'm being picky, but for $1300 my expectations are the iPhone's display should outperform significantly cheaper devices.

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
This problem is really subjective and not really a big deal compare to the signal reception issues.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Can't wait until Apple put OLED in their MacBooks so we can go through this again.

Maybe I'm just used to seeing OLED screens. Maybe there is a problem. But whites are not meant to be a cool blue.

The problem with OLED screens is that they will almost always usually exhibit some form of tint to the human eye. You won't get the same level of white that you do on an LCD screen.

praxis219

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2018
Can't wait until Apple put OLED in their MacBooks so we can go through this again..

We won't because:

upload_2018-9-24_3-24-28.png

If Apple put this feature natively into iOS instead of the color filter crap this thread wouldn't exist.

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
The screen of my XS Max is just a very little bit warmer than my X which is no big deal. It's almost identical. The thing that bugs me the most is not the screen tone but the color gradient from top (pink/blue) to bottom (yellow). It is not really obvious but noteicable if you look for it.

I am not sure if it is just the angle you look at it so that the screen at the bottom ist looked at in a different angle than the top and that's why colors shift, or if it's really a different color tint. Anyone else has a warmer looking bottom screen on the XS Max compared to the top?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I did notice a slight hue of yellow but now my phone is perfect. U just got a let it sit I guess everyone is right

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
My XS max is a killer warmer than my X was but the change in tint when moving off angle is noticeably less than on my X

jonstatt1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
The screen of my XS Max is just a very little bit warmer than my X which is no big deal. It's almost identical. The thing that bugs me the most is not the screen tone but the color gradient from top (pink/blue) to bottom (yellow). It is not really obvious but noteicable if you look for it.

I am not sure if it is just the angle you look at it so that the screen at the bottom ist looked at in a different angle than the top and that's why colors shift, or if it's really a different color tint. Anyone else has a warmer looking bottom screen on the XS Max compared to the top?

As I mentioned a few posts up from yours, I have a colour gradient left to right! Today in my office I saw 2 other Xs max phones and they were all quite mediocre in uniformity. Both displayed vertical gradients rather than my odd horizontal one. They both thought their phones were fine so not everyone is sensitive to this. I think a horizontal shift is worse than a vertical one so I am thinking to swap it but will give it a few days as displays do change a bit over the first few days. This isn’t because of the glue theory but more likely due to the panel being held under pressure which bend/distort it a fraction which gets relaxed slightly with repeated warm up / cool down cycles.

How does it change as you tilt the phone back, off angle?

crawltochina

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2015
As I mentioned a few posts up from yours, I have a colour gradient left to right! Today in my office I saw 2 other Xs max phones and they were all quite mediocre in uniformity. Both displayed vertical gradients rather than my odd horizontal one. They both thought their phones were fine so not everyone is sensitive to this. I think a horizontal shift is worse than a vertical one so I am thinking to swap it but will give it a few days as displays do change a bit over the first few days. This isn’t because of the glue theory but more likely due to the panel being held under pressure which bend/distort it a fraction which gets relaxed slightly with repeated warm up / cool down cycles.

How does it change as you tilt the phone back, off angle?

If I tilt the iPhone the screen shifts blueish. My iPhone X had almost no shift. The iPhone X of a friend had an identical looking screen when looking straight at it but a very noticeable blue shift when tilted. Comparing the two was night and day. The Max now has a slight shift to blue but not as bad as my friends X. So I'm ok with that. Most important for me is uniformity. The rest of the phone is great, no scuffs/marks, no sharp edges. Really not sure what to do.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Well I have decided to stick with my X for now and have boxed up the two XS Max I have. My X has a uniform screen which is not 'yellow' and has virtually no colour shift.

Sad thing is, when I was getting my X and putting a case back on it to use, I dropped it on the kitchen tiles and have completely f****d the top steel band (I have never dropped my phone the whole time I have owned it). My husband got his dremmel tool for me to use and I polished out the roughness, but the dings are still there (just smooth). He told me just to get an XS Max (I really am not interested in the screen panel lottery), but I won't be doing that.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
Everything else about the phone is glorious though, but I’m not sure if I can live with the piss yellow screen, Especially on a $1300 phone.

This is the problem with selling a phone that costs so much. People expect perfect (and rightly so) for that amount of money. I'd expect a huge number of returns of this year's devices.

Josh125

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2008
Katy, TX
I noticed this while at Best Buy this weekend. The phone up front, not in the Apple area, had a marked yellow tone. So much so I thought night shift was on. The other XSM in the Apple area did not appear as yellow. The location in the store of course means nothing, but odd that two of the same phones could show such a dramatic difference.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I noticed this while at Best Buy this weekend. The phone up front, not in the Apple area, had a marked yellow tone. So much so I thought night shift was on. The other XSM in the Apple area did not appear as yellow. The location in the store of course means nothing, but odd that two of the same phones could show such a dramatic difference.

One is probably apple cherry picked the other is from the “peasant batch” ie luck of the draw the same general public has

Are these Maxes LG or Samsung?

At least you tuber Erica griffin reported no black clipping and decent uniformity ... tho offset by a color shift gradient

She had 3 units too.

On a related note the panel lottery is the bane of my existence and so glad to not get any iPhones this year

My buddy’s XS next to my
x was brighter but also warmer. I preferred the color temp of mine

MichaelColley

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2014
One is probably apple cherry picked the other is from the “peasant batch” ie luck of the draw the same general public has

Are these Maxes LG or Samsung?

At least you tuber Erica griffin reported no black clipping and decent uniformity ... tho offset by a color shift gradient

She had 3 units too.

On a related note the panel lottery is the bane of my existence and so glad to not get any iPhones this year

My buddy’s XS next to my
x was brighter but also warmer. I preferred the color temp of mine

Going to be honest with you, Every year Erica gets perfect screens, I personally think she's not testing it right. The grey backgrounds she is using don't have enough depth and are not dark enough to display the certain screen characteristics in faulty devices.

She got 2 perfect iPhone X's last year meanwhile I went through 5+ replacements, Now this year she has 3 perfect iPhone Xs phones.

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
My Max is going back. I am not paying $1,800 for a phone with a yellow top and pink bottom (when night shift is on). Probably just keep my current X as I don't have the patience to play the panel lottery this year.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
They vary a lot per iPhone so maybe try returning for another.

Make sure you:
Turn off True Tone
Turn brightness all the way up
Turn off Auto-Brightness under Display Accommodations under Accessibility.

That should help for sure.

Also, these vary a lot per iPhone. I ordered multiples of the Xs Max and kept the brightest and most white one.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Thoughts? Max next to 8+. 8+ is noticeably brighter (not sure if its supposed to be or not). Both are at full brightness with true tone turned off.

Attachments

• IMG_7736.JPG
    IMG_7736.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 606

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Never seen one of these threads after an Apple device Launch. :rolleyes:

As with any issue with on your phone, it's best to take it up with Apple. Like Google (I had issues with my Pixel 2) they are really good with providing customer support, and have a good return policy.

On the subject of this thread and posted examples, Wondering how many are playing with their accessibility settings before submitting pictures? Can be used to either dial in, or dial out some yellow or blue. Settings could be used for good or evil intentions. I have pranked my friends with these settings when they leave their phone unlocked (yes I fess up and return to normal) , and I can see people using this to prank Forum members too.

IMG_3E7AC08DD2DA-1.jpeg
[doublepost=1537799637][/doublepost]
Thoughts? Max next to 8+. 8+ is noticeably brighter (not sure if its supposed to be or not). Both are at full brightness with true tone turned off.
Check to see if auto brightness is turned off. It is under General > Accessibility > Display accommodations.

You can also ensure that Reduce white point is off, as well as color filters.

Reactions: TheSteves and FFR

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
So I’ve never had a single issue with a phone until this one on my new Xs Max. My screen has a warm/yellow tint to it and I can literally slowly angle the phone up and down and watch it change from yellow to blue, but directly forward it’s a yellow tint. I’ve compared with display phones at the AT&T store and my friends Xs Max and mine is noticeably more yellow but it also is brighter than the three phones I compared it to.

I purchased the phone from AT&T, I’ve heard they charge a $45 restock fee for exchanges. Should I take it into apple and see if they will replace without a fee? Or keep spending $45 restocking fee’s on exchanges until I get a good screen? It kind of blows because I haven’t had any other issues reported with the phone other than this really warm/yellow display, True Tone is off, night shift is off, and into brightness is off.

Other than the display issue the phone seems great. Any advice guys?

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
They vary a lot per iPhone so maybe try returning for another.

Make sure you:
Turn off True Tone
Turn brightness all the way up
Turn off Auto-Brightness under Display Accommodations under Accessibility.

That should help for sure.

Also, these vary a lot per iPhone. I ordered multiples of the Xs Max and kept the brightest and most white one.

Hmmm. I've ordered an additional Max and am going to see how this one looks. I pick it up today and will post a picture of the two side by side to see if there is a noticeable difference. If its different I'm returning the first one and keeping the second. I hate dealing with this garbage but my display definitely looks yellow. I also had the X and it didn't look like this at all.

Reactions: thadoggfather

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
Hmmm. I've ordered an additional Max and am going to see how this one looks. If its different I'm returning the first one and keeping the second. I hate dealing with this garbage but my display definitely looks yellow.

At least its a uniform yellow. I have a two tone phone that you cant really see until night shift is on, but night shift shows the flaw in the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.