Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I’ve already replaced an iPhone XS Max because of a screen that had a terrible pink hue at the slightest angles, even straight on it would have pink showing either at the top or bottom of the display. Now that I’ve set up and used this replacement device for a few days, I’ve noticed it has an uneven tint of yellow from the top down to a neutral white at the bottom. I wanted to try and forget about it but when I browse the internet and see a mainly white screen, or open an app with a solid colour splash screen, the change in tint from top to bottom is super noticeable and distracting.

I could get over it if the phone was half the price, but I was planning on keeping this phone a lot longer than usual. How can I expect to be happy with my purchase over the years if I’m not happy with it right now?

For reference, I’m not sure it means much, but my first phone had a serial number beginning in FF, and this new one has F2.

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
I returned mine about an hour ago and got a new one. Same FF factory. This on is definitely still warmer than my 7 Plus, but significantly cooler than the one I returned. The yellow/red doesn't persist as long when I switch between off axis back to face on. This one is a little more bearable than the last for sure. I will keep it ~2 weeks and decide if I will return and wait 6 weeks or keep it. tbh if I switch it out at 6 weeks and this issue still persists and isn't addressed by apple in some form. I will just have to return it all together. To other's it may be ok, but to me its unacceptable. costs too much to be dealing with these problems!

Mines came yellow also but it cleared up after some hours

Reactions: MyMacintosh

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
01024871-F964-4E05-A4B3-EE78C394C1D3.jpeg 5DC3197D-C28D-45D9-918D-F32768699F33.jpeg
Hey guys I know these aren’t two iPhones side by side but I just wanted to show the difference. My GF has the S9+ with full brightness next to mine with full brightness, in one picture I have no color filter (my phones true warm display) and the other is with a blue color filter over it to bandaid the problem. Also my phone shifts colors really bad at the slightest angle. It’s crazy how warm my display is without any filter and True Tone and night shift off.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
View attachment 789269 View attachment 789270
Hey guys I know these aren’t two iPhones side by side but I just wanted to show the difference. My GF has the S9+ with full brightness next to mine with full brightness, in one picture I have no color filter (my phones true warm display) and the other is with a blue color filter over it to bandaid the problem. Also my phone shifts colors really bad at the slightest angle. It’s crazy how warm my display is without any filter and True Tone and night shift off.

I'm confused. They both look better than the S9 Screen. And the difference looks minimal.
[doublepost=1537997241][/doublepost]
I believe so too because as I said; mines was yellow at first and then it changed to a nice bright screen

Let me add that I'm not sure this entire thread means anything at this point.

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
I'm confused. They both look better than the S9 Screen. And the difference looks minimal.
[doublepost=1537997241][/doublepost]

Let me add that I'm not sure this entire thread means anything at this point.

I think the point is the one on the right is without color filter and its pretty obviously warm despite people in here saying they dont notice the difference. You really dont notice the difference between the screen colors of the iPhone in the two pics?

Reactions: Frostys

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
View attachment 789269 View attachment 789270

All this does is highlight what a crap display the S9+ has.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
I believe so too because as I said; mines was yellow at first and then it changed to a nice bright screen

Is it possible you merely became accustomed to the screen color after using it for a while? I'm trying to figure out how/why the display would actually change color after a few hours of use.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Is it possible you merely became accustomed to the screen color after using it for a while? I'm trying to figure out how/why the display would actually change color after a few hours of use.
He turned true tone off or something.

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I think the point is the one on the right is without color filter and its pretty obviously warm despite people in here saying they dont notice the difference. You really dont notice the difference between the screen colors of the iPhone in the two pics?

Yes I see a very minimal difference. Is it enough to call it a "piss yellow" display? Absolutely not. Is it even worthy of returning? I don't think so. But people are obviously going to go hunting for an elusive perfectly white screen that they are never going to find.

Ksanchez2278

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2018
So here is a update. I wen into the apple store right now and I compared my phone to all the max phones on display. All the phones were all uniformed. Seemed like my display was brighter then all of them. My grays on my phone were a little lighter than the others. They were all FF serial numbers. Mine is a F2 ‍♂️
[doublepost=1538000006][/doublepost]
Couple years ago I bought htc 10 and it came with yellow tint. After about two weeks it came out
Your eyes adapted lol

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
So here is a update. I wen into the apple store right now and I compared my phone to all the max phones on display. All the phones were all uniformed. Seemed like my display was brighter then all of them. My grays on my phone were a little lighter than the others. They were all FF serial numbers. Mine is a F2 ‍♂️
[doublepost=1538000006][/doublepost]
Your eyes adapted lol

Anyway! so what you are saying is that the FF is not good?

macintosh00

Suspended
Jun 10, 2018
Will people on here stop saying that serial numbers actually matter? It's nonsense
[doublepost=1538000831][/doublepost]Next time I go buy a phone I'm going to check my little serial number, march in the back and start rifling through the rest of the serial numbers. Because I'm a lunatic like that :rolleyes:

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Will people on here stop saying that serial numbers actually matter? It's nonsense
[doublepost=1538000831][/doublepost]Next time I go buy a phone I'm going to check my little serial number, march in the back and start rifling through the rest of the serial numbers. Because I'm a lunatic like that :rolleyes:

You have about as much chance at that as stopping people from saying it's glue. Some myths just dont die.

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas

I am telling them my screen isn't yellow but they are saying my eyes adjusted lol. I guess they want everyone to see what they are seeing even if you don't see it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.