Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Do not exchange if at all possible. You will be stuck in the exchange cycle and can never return it, and have to deal with genius support. Who will tell you pink or yellow filth is normal or they don't see it. We all got these phones a week ago and are well within the return window. No one posting here should be exchanging them yet. Return and re-buy.

I was told exchanging = return and re-buy by someone on here

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I was told exchanging = return and re-buy by someone on here

Both are right.

"Exchange" is return and rebuy.

I think this guy is referring to a genius swap, which is distinctly different than an exchange.

In a Genius swap, you lose the ability to return.

NEVER genius swap. Never. Go back to an old phone if you have to. Categorically refuse to go through the genius bar with this issue. Return the phone. Buy a new one if one is available. NEVER go through genius bar.

Reactions: Harthag

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Return the phone. Buy a new one if one is available. NEVER go through genius bar.

How do you handle AppleCare+ under this scenario? Is that automatically returned with the phone and then rebought with the new phone?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
How do you handle AppleCare+ under this scenario? Is that automatically returned with the phone and then rebought with the new phone?

Yep, no issues there.

I'd hold off on buying a+ until you have the phone you want. Don't buy A+ until you are satisfied w your phone. You have like 30 days or something.

Reactions: Tibits

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
I'm currently in the Apple store. The demo phones increase brightness all the way up the meter, but all cap it at a dimmer level than mine. Are we sure this is the auto dim feature or is it possible my phone is just the brightest one here?

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I'm currently in the Apple store. The demo phones increase brightness all the way up the meter, but all cap it at a dimmer level than mine. Are we sure this is the auto dim feature or is it possible my phone is just the brightest one here?
Not sure. My opinion is that the demo phones are not limited re: brightness or in any other way. I could adjust the brightness all the way to max and the whole range was visible. The 2nd phone that I tried (bought) was the same, dimmer than my current / original one but not by much. It is just display variance I think. You'll never notice the slightly dimmer screen in real world use and when not comparing right next to another phone. If you get a uniform screen with tolerable shift and white, take it and run and be done.

Reactions: davec25

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
Not sure. My opinion is that the demo phones are not limited re: brightness or in any other way. I could adjust the brightness all the way to max and the whole range was visible. The 2nd phone that I tried (bought) was the same, dimmer than my current / original one but not by much. It is just display variance I think. You'll never notice the slightly dimmer screen in real world use and when not comparing right next to another phone. If you get a uniform screen with tolerable shift and white, take it and run and be done.

Gotcha. Thanks. I'm not sure I can get myself to exchange mine less I get a worse one. Ugh. Also, most of the demo phones aren't being used and aren't hot.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
best example yet

Ok after seeing this photo, it does change my view on this issue. That is a big difference and not acceptable. With my XS Max compared to my X the difference is not that drastic. I would say it’s probably 10% warmer but very close to the same whiteness. I guess I have one of the keepers :). This is the unfortunate thing about exchanging your device, you are risking getting one worst sadly and you’re in an endless lottery loop before you know it. I have an F2 if it even matters, doubt it though.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Ok after seeing this photo, it does change my view on this issue. That is a big difference and not acceptable. With my XS Max compared to my X the difference is not that drastic. I would say it’s probably 10% warmer but very close to the same whiteness. I guess I have one of the keepers :). This is the unfortunate thing about exchanging your device, you are risking getting one worst sadly and you’re in an endless lottery loop before you know it. I have an F2 if it even matters, doubt it though.

Welcome aboard. It only took 2 years of this issue with pictures and mountains of evidence to convince you. In the meantime, yellow screen warriors like myself have fought people like your former self for almost 10 years. Time to get pissed and demand action from Apple.

Ashleyx0x0marie

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2018
I’ve been following this thread for the last few days being so disappointed with my new XS max. The XS max is not as cool toned as I would prefer vs my iPhone 7+. AT&T sent me out a new phone after I called complaining of the yellow tint and I received it today to compare the two phones. My first phone has very noticeable color shift, more on the pink side and even with the slightest tilt it’s distracting. It brings out the yellow tint more in my eyes but at the perfect angle it brings out the perfect white I’m looking for in my eyes. The new phone I received today is complete opposite. It has the blue tint. It doesn’t distract as easily with tilting. I think I’ll keep this second one for now. I honestly was thinking of maybe even holding off until the next phone comes out, maybe it will be notchless which would be even better, but I love the wireless charging feature. I just wish apple would let us adjust our white point and color temps a little better and not with a generic blue filter that dulls brightness when used. Maybe in 6 weeks or so I’ll go to apple and look at the screens and exchange if they seem better then. Sorry for the long post and I hope everyone finds the perfect screen we all are looking for on our $1,000+ phone, it should be perfection and not vary so much phone to phone. Not sure how to upload my videos I took to show you as it says the file is too large. My first one was serial F2 and newest one FK for reference though not sure it matters.

Last edited:

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
The workers in the Apple store know nothing or are taught to all but deny any claims of variance. I'm considering going back to my X. Can at&t reinstate next on that phone?

Last edited:

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Welcome aboard. It only took 2 years of this issue with pictures and mountains of evidence to convince you. In the meantime, yellow screen warriors like myself have fought people like your former self for almost 10 years. Time to get pissed and demand action from Apple.

Yes seeing this photo let me know piss yellow screens indeed exist. Hopefully you guys can get the better screens, although known to be slightly warmer than the X, as long they don’t look like that and the screen uniformity is even.

Reactions: Tibits

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
This was what I noticed too. My phone was the brightest one out of at least a dozen or more that I checked. The brightness slider worked all the way to the top so I don’t think it was dimmed because it was overheating as some have suggested. Maybe phones running the demo version of iOS don’t get as bright to preserve the displays? Or maybe they haven’t had as much usuage to break in the display? They are all running a screen saver that is mostly black.

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
This was what I noticed too. My phone was the brightest one out of at least a dozen or more that I checked. The brightness slider worked all the way to the top so I don’t think it was dimmed because it was overheating as some have suggested. Maybe phones running the demo version of iOS don’t get as bright to preserve the displays? Or maybe they haven’t had as much usuage to break in the display? They are all running a screen saver that is mostly black.

Yeah. I asked three different employees and none had an answer for it. Def not subtle though. And I'm 99.9 % sure these weren't overheating.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
All of the excuses that the off axis color shifting and warm white balance made by users here and Apple themselves is "normal" means nothing. Crap is crap. These displays stink (or most of them). At this price we should expect a nice looking screen. What with PWM OLED flickering giving people headaches, this yellow tint, and the off axis color shift, I think it can safely be deduced that the XS OLED displays are the worst Apple has put in an iPhone in years. I personally think the XS series is a total rip. Either believe the marketing hype or your own eyes. I'm glad I passed this one up.

Reactions: madKIR and dazz87

Eee1111

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
true tone makes the phone piss yellow

off it looks absolutely fine

is this normal?
[doublepost=1538091414][/doublepost]
XS on left, X on right. Woof!

True Tone is off on both displays. The new XS has had several days to break in. I'll exchange this one tomorrow and see if we can't do a bit better...

View attachment 789735

I don't believe you that true tone is off on that phone
if so its a disaster

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
I don't believe you that true tone is off on that phone

worst kind of poster = you
IMG_0011.jpg

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
So does anyone have pink edges ? Saw that in here last year but havent seen a thread yet. Is that good news finally? Lol

Eee1111

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2017
what is wrong with me? Why be mean?

all I said was I didn't believe it. Didn't call you a bad name or anything.

yeah....that phone is awful. I don't understand how that it can be that bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.