Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
OK -- here's my experience with these issues:

My new XS Max from Verizon (opened today) has a consistent screen in terms of color, but the "OLED effect" is obvious. This is my first OLED iPhone -- before today I had no idea about this issue with tilting the screen causing a change in overall color.

This "OLED effect" seems to be a major issue if you want to use your phone to actually watch something with quality color, like a movie. If you position your phone with any angle other than straight on, the colors aren't accurate.

True that even if the iPhone remains off-angle, your eyes will (usually) adjust to the color temperature of the screen -- it's mostly noticeable when shifting the screen.

XS Max seems like a winner in almost every other aspect -- but I fail to understand why OLED is considered such a "premium" display technology with such a serious downside. Given this experience with OLED, I WILL AVOID a OLED Television.

On a different note, I found the initial screen settings to be quite DIM: even after the common solution of turning off the Auto-Brightness feature (conveniently hidden in the Display Accommodations pane of the Accessibility settings), I had an issue with my brightness slider randomly failing to increase brightness beyond approximately the 70% brightness point. I'm a developer, but I was baffled. I spoke to an AppleCare tech, who suggested doing the "Reset Settings", which sort of helped, but then the issue came back.

I stumbled across a posting that described going into a dark room, turning on the Auto-Brightness feature, turning up the brightness slider all the way, then turning Auto-Brightness back off again. THIS APPEARS TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM: my XS Max screen is as bright as my iPhone 6s Plus!

Back to the yellow vs blue issue: I did turn off the True Tone, because it seems to exacerbate the difference when shifting the angle of the screen. However, I also added some MORE yellow to "warm up" the blueness of the screen, using the "Color Filters" feature of the Display Accommodations preferences. Of course, now Night Shift is even warmer.

Just read this again.... are you sure this is actually what you did? Reason for the query is that the normal accepted process for doing this is to go into a dark room, turn off auto-brightness, put the brightness slider DOWN to the minimum setting, and then enable auto-brightness again.

_Alcatraz_

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
Jeez, this thread got me scared enough. I wanted to buy the Max but now I’m not so sure though.

NJHitmen

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Jeez, this thread got me scared enough. I wanted to buy the Max but now I’m not so sure though.

Every year, on every model, some customers will have issues/complaints. Like clockwork. Most people seem to be happy with their purchases. To be clear - I think those issues are real - they simply aren’t typical. It’s just that folks with problems congregate here, and thus the problems seem bigger/more widespread than they actually are.

In other words, I wouldn’t worry too much about all of the issues described in this forum. Buy your own Max, and you’ll probably be satisfied. If not, you can always return it.

_Alcatraz_

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017
I would be more worried about getting a phone with horrible reception and it's pretty common than a minor tint problem
I'm aware of this thing, and btw the new "Charge Gate" is horrible too.

Every year, on every model, some customers will have issues/complaints. Like clockwork. Most people seem to be happy with their purchases. To be clear - I think those issues are real - they simply aren’t typical. It’s just that folks with problems congregate here, and thus the problems seem bigger/more widespread than they actually are.

In other words, I wouldn’t worry too much about all of the issues described in this forum. Buy your own Max, and you’ll probably be satisfied. If not, you can always return it.
Yeah I know. But I think it would be cool to hear something about that from Apple though.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Here is my iPhone XS on the left, True Tone is defective and the display is too. The yellow is more harsh on the XS, without True Tone, the display has a warm tone and is more dimmer than my old X (pictures don’t do it justice, due to color balance and my 5S just can’t represent it properly)

659646D0-EF0F-4EC6-81C7-CD3ED24FBA60.jpeg
51908B7A-21A5-468A-A8D5-A1CCE905B84D.jpeg
ED5AA187-3BC3-45E4-AD6B-075FBA06CE32.jpeg
71262552-FDD7-4D42-B5F0-90C4C62E6912.jpeg

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Are all XS display are bad or is there a small chance to get a good display when ordering today at the online store.

I haven‘t seen a good XS Max display yet.

The Apple Store told me it‘s better to wait until December to place a new order.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Are all XS display are bad or is there a small chance to get a good display when ordering today at the online store.

The Apple Store told me it‘s better to wait until December to place a new order.

I got another X last year in December where I received my first display issue on an iPhone, it leaned towards more cooler tones, and shifted blue very harshly even wih the slightest tilt. I’d say it’s all about luck, because these devices are pretty inconsistent.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I wish I could just tone down the greens. This is not ‘accurate’. I take a photo, load it up on the phone and a color calibrated monitor and there WAY too much green in the XS. A beige couch pushes green on the phone and looks accurate on my monitor.
[doublepost=1538242512][/doublepost]

I’ve been to a few apple stores in my area just to see how bad my phone holds up against the displays. They are almost identical from what I’ve seen... which is why I haven’t returned my phone yet. I’m leaning towards returning it and going back to a 6S plus for now. I LOVE the camera though and don’t want to go back to the 6S camera.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I have stopped the swapping marathon of the XS Max.

I ordered a iPhone 6S Plus on eBay.

Last edited:

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have an LG OLED55C7V TV and can assure you there is no shift of colour like there is with the iPhone XS/Max. In fact I'd say no shift in colour full stop. I feel it must be Apples/Samsungs implementation of OLED that exhibits this issue.

I have that TV also and the screen is gorgeous. No problem with color tint or shifting.

Hotdogs

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
I’m keeping my iPhone XS max for now as I’ve compared to all models in stores. They all have a yellow tint screen issue. This is pathetic apple. I also spoke with a senior apple tech over the phone because I had an Apple ID issue and keychain issue. We resolved that. The senior tech says she never heard of this yellow screen issue, or was aware of all the postings on Mac forum. Coincidentally as I was speaking with her, the story popped up on google news feed. I shared it with her. She told me that she was the highest technical support that anyone could reach, and that she would send this issue to the attention of staff directly under Tim Cook. Come on Apple. Get it together. Buy your displays from one competent vendor for consistency if you don’t want people duscussing these valid and real issues, and or swapping phones multiple times. If my yellow screen does not dissapate I will be swapping it in a few months after you start using the better displays.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Over the years of buying Apple products I've come to hate opening new devices for fear of seeing a bad screen. I've become more tolerant of a less than perfect screen and just hope for a screen I can live with. I've gotten lucky this year however. The screens on my MacBook Pro and iPhone XS are near perfect. The screen on the XS is slightly warmer than the screen on my X but is even with minimal shift to blue at angles. I've seen a lot of screens I wouldn't be happy with in the Apple Store and Best Buy. I hope everyone here can find a good screen without multiple returns. I hate to return/exchange things and the Apple geniuses never see the problem.

Hotdogs

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2018
How is this being tested? How do you know if your phone is too blue or too yellow?
Hey Apple. It’s time to fix the yellow screen issue via software update. I hope it’s not hardware. Class action will commence soon.
[doublepost=1538249160][/doublepost]
Hey Apple. It’s time to fix the yellow screen issue via software update. I hope it’s not hardware. Class action will commence soon.
Go ahead try to avoid it !

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Yup this. My LG77C8, and all my previous OLEDs, exhibit absolutely no colour shift from any angle whatsoever.
Same here my Sony OLED has none of these iphones issues...Apple is really turning people off to OLED. Its sad cause OLED is the future.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
That’s true, I’ve never seen the colour shifts on OLED televisions yet on mobile phones it’s so obvious. The yellow and pink lines when some of these smartphone screens are viewed from a slightly different angle are strange. It must be the way the glass is overlaid in comparison to how TV panels are manufactured?
Have you held the television flat in your palms and move around? Just saying don’t think is somewhat a fair comparison. At first I thought LED iPhones still looked better than OLED but once I used the display for awhile realized much better.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Today, I did a swap after going thru a hurdle with multiple Geniuses telling me they don’t see any differences until they finally gave me a swap, and this new device is no different.

I forgot to mention, not only are these more yellow and dimmer, but the black levels are god awful. If you reduce the brightness all the way and see your lock screen / Notification Center when ‘DND during bedtime’ is active, then the whole dark UI is grey and not near black / dark grey. It looks washed out. I will try to post a pic soon.

My problem is, this wasn’t the case with my iPhone XS Max, as it only became a problem when downsizing.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
Today, I did a swap after going thru a hurdle with multiple Geniuses telling me they don’t see any differences until they finally gave me a swap, and this new device is no different.

I forgot to mention, not only are these more yellow and dimmer, but the black levels are god awful. If you reduce the brightness all the way and see your lock screen / Notification Center when ‘DND during bedtime’ is active, then the whole dark UI is grey and not near black / dark grey. It looks washed out. I will try to post a pic soon.

My problem is, this wasn’t the case with my iPhone XS Max, as it only became a problem when downsizing.
For sure Apple will put more quality focus towards the XS Max this year. It’s a shame if they did cut back on tolerances on display panels.

Reactions: symphony

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
As promised, the iPhone XS is the one on top and iPhone X at the bottom. Same brightness levels.

I used an iPhone 5S to take a photo of this, so the representation isn’t accurate. First photo I tapped to focus on the iPhone X which overexposed the iPhone XS because it’s black level is so washed out.

I did tap to focus on the iPhone XS which shows what it looks like. DND during bedtime should be almost black including notifications, not grey.

This is one of three display issues in encountering with two iPhones so far. iPhone XS Max was perfect as my iPhone X

A51A97E7-0860-4BE3-9208-1B91ECB93B9D.jpeg
FB50118A-CB36-4D48-BFA0-1AD2E7AD23DE.jpeg

Attachments

• B9E77E1F-788B-414E-AAF5-3B22D45D3A70.jpeg
    B9E77E1F-788B-414E-AAF5-3B22D45D3A70.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wags

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
As promised, the iPhone XS is the one on top and iPhone X at the bottom. Same brightness levels.

I used an iPhone 5S to take a photo of this, so the representation isn’t accurate. First photo I tapped to focus on the iPhone X which over exposed the iPhone X because it’s black level is so washed out.

I did tap to focus on the iPhone XS which shows what it looks like. DND during bedtime should be almost black including notifications, not grey.

This is one of three display issues in encountering with two iPhones so far. iPhone XS Max was perfect as my iPhone X

View attachment 790507 View attachment 790508
That’s terrible. Don’t have to be critical. Pretty obvious.
[doublepost=1538253822][/doublepost]So what is plan? Go back to max or stay with x.

Reactions: symphony

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Have you held the television flat in your palms and move around? Just saying don’t think is somewhat a fair comparison. At first I thought LED iPhones still looked better than OLED but once I used the display for awhile realized much better.
Not held one in my palms due to the physical restrictions of doing that, but I have viewed one from many angles across a lounge and noticed no colour distortion while moving.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
That’s terrible. Don’t have to be critical. Pretty obvious.
[doublepost=1538253822][/doublepost]So what is plan? Go back to max or stay with x.

Just made another swap, and it was the same. Going back for one last swap. If it doesn’t change then I guess I’ll put up with some bad light level and yellow tint. I’m pretty disappointed, should’ve ordered the regular XS instead of the Max on day one.

If Apple did have LG manufacture displays for them l, then I’d say these were it. :’/

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Just made another swap, and it was the same. Going back for one last swap. If it doesn’t change then I guess I’ll put up with some bad light level and yellow tint. I’m pretty disappointed, should’ve ordered the regular XS instead of the Max on day one.

If Apple did have LG manufacture displays for them l, then I’d say these were it. :’/
Just so you know, I’m seeing the same thing on XS models as well (which is what I and my wife own).

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007

Wow you are actually going to put up with it? Sorry to say but that screen is horrible. No way im dropping that much to have a screen looking like that. Compare to last yr X it looks like a low quality lcd screen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.