Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I said I was going to stop swapping after my so-called last attempt yesterday, but I just can’t.

I’m going to return my iPhone today and order one online.

I just can’t stand the darkened whitepoint on my iPhone XS, it’s lacking contrast. Not only that but DND During Bedtime looks god awful because it’s so washed out, looks worse than my spare iPhones and iPad. Also I’d rather have a blue shift than a red one, as it makes it worse with True Tone, with blue shift it’s like reversing the True Tone effect when viewed off-angle.

MAXAAPL

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2018
I swear very dark grays look green to me on my XS max. The grays you see in the clock and watch app. They have this weird green hue. It’s especially noticeable towards the bottom since my brightness isn’t uniform. It’s really strange. That seems to be my only issue. That and the display not being 100% uniform in terms of brightness. However I can live with the brightness not being uniform. I can’t live with the dark grays with green hues. It just looks bad. I notice it only happens with True Tone but I like True Tone and I’m not willing to not use it because it isn’t calibrated well enough.

I’ve spoken with an Apple care chat representative and she wants me to do a restore through iTunes. Not sure if I should go with it or not. Just seems like such a headache.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
The unacceptable unit I returned was a C3 as well. Maybe there is something to the theory that there are good and bad batches.

You’ve given me hope. lol

I believe in that theory too, and I hope I get what you have. They gave me an Apple Store gift card loaded for another iPhone, so I’ll order one soon. But I’m going to hold back and wait just a little bit, since I’m hoping that it’ll come from a different batch.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
Never done a return before - question for you pro’s. Currently I don’t have a fallback phone, so I need to get an iPhone Xs that isn’t defective like my Max. Friday will be day 14 for my return policy, I plan on returning the phone to AT&T on Wednesday day 12 October 3rd. I’m then going to purchase a iPhone Xs from Apple that same day, and that will start a new 14 day return period. My question is - if the new Xs that I get is defective, and I return it, will it begin another NEW 14 day return period? Or will it be the 3rd to the 17th no matter what with Apple? Thanks

Reactions: davec25

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Never done a return before - question for you pro’s. Currently I don’t have a fallback phone, so I need to get an iPhone Xs that isn’t defective like my Max. Friday will be day 14 for my return policy, I plan on returning on Wednesday day 12 October 3rd. I’m then going to purchase a iPhone Xs from Apple that same day, and that will start a new 14 day return period. My question is - if the new Xs that I get is defective, and I return it, will it begin another NEW 14 day return period? Or will it be the 3rd to the 17th no matter what with Apple? Thanks

If I were you, I’d return it and receive an Apple Store gift card and wait till things get better.

Or if you have extra credit left in your card, order one online and it’ll come by Wednesday, by then return your current iPhone to the Apple Store. If your screen is defective then make an exchange with your new model, I’m sure by then Apple will get their **** together and the screens wouldn’t suck.

Frostys

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
If I were you, I’d return it and receive an Apple Store gift card and wait till things get better.

Or if you have extra credit left in your card, order one online and it’ll come by Wednesday, by then return your current iPhone to the Apple Store. If your screen is defective then make an exchange with your new model, I’m sure by then Apple will get their **** together and the screens wouldn’t suck.

Oh sorry I may not have been clear enough. I purchased from AT&T so I need to return with them, and then I plan on buying a iPhone Xs from Apple, that will hopefully be a good unit, but if it’s not, what should I be prepared for?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Never done a return before - question for you pro’s. Currently I don’t have a fallback phone, so I need to get an iPhone Xs that isn’t defective like my Max. Friday will be day 14 for my return policy, I plan on returning the phone to AT&T on Wednesday day 12 October 3rd. I’m then going to purchase a iPhone Xs from Apple that same day, and that will start a new 14 day return period. My question is - if the new Xs that I get is defective, and I return it, will it begin another NEW 14 day return period? Or will it be the 3rd to the 17th no matter what with Apple? Thanks
If you return/exchange that resets your return period.

KevMalone

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018

Attachments

• CA0EF3E4-51DE-4825-AA0C-5D0EA6F48D59.jpeg
    CA0EF3E4-51DE-4825-AA0C-5D0EA6F48D59.jpeg
    606.4 KB · Views: 320

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I just took a quick look at the DisplayMate review of the XS Max. They gave it record-setting high marks. For example, "Very high absolute color accuracy . . . which is Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect, and almost certainly considerably better than your existing Smartphone, UHD TV, Tablet, Laptop, and computer monitor." No mention of any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

But somewhat buried in the review is the following statement:

"Apple provided DisplayMate Technologies with a retail unit of the iPhone XS Max so that we could perform our well known objective and comprehensive DisplayMate Lab tests, measurements, and analysis, explaining in-depth the new display performance results for consumers, reviewers, and journalists as early as possible."

I have no idea if Apple hand-picked the unit given to DisplayMate, but DisplayMate could have avoided this potential criticism if they simply purchased a unit off-the-shelf from a retailer.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I just took a quick look at the DisplayMate review of the XS Max. They gave it record-setting high marks. For example, "Very high absolute color accuracy . . . which is Visually Indistinguishable From Perfect, and almost certainly considerably better than your existing Smartphone, UHD TV, Tablet, Laptop, and computer monitor." No mention of any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

But somewhat buried in the review is the following statement:

"Apple provided DisplayMate Technologies with a retail unit of the iPhone XS Max so that we could perform our well known objective and comprehensive DisplayMate Lab tests, measurements, and analysis, explaining in-depth the new display performance results for consumers, reviewers, and journalists as early as possible."

I have no idea if Apple hand-picked the unit given to DisplayMate, but DisplayMate could have avoided this potential criticism if they simply purchased a unit off-the-shelf from a retailer.

Yeah, they get a cherry picked one every year. So do the reviewers. Apple isn't stupid, they know their tolerances are super loose around launch. Its 100% intentional in order to allow for greater yields when demand is highest. Lets be honest - not everyone will notice or care, so I guess I don't blame them. But it's up to us to beat them at their own game.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
Apple definitely sent DisplayMate and most likely other reviewers perfect phones. It's a shady tactic but it works and that's how you play the game.

Reactions: symphony

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
As promised, the iPhone XS is the one on top and iPhone X at the bottom. Same brightness levels.

I used an iPhone 5S to take a photo of this, so the representation isn’t accurate. First photo I tapped to focus on the iPhone X which overexposed the iPhone XS because it’s black level is so washed out.

I did tap to focus on the iPhone XS which shows what it looks like. DND during bedtime should be almost black including notifications, not grey.

This is one of three display issues in encountering with two iPhones so far. iPhone XS Max was perfect as my iPhone X

View attachment 790507 View attachment 790508
My XS looks fine on that same screen with same wallpaper in DND during bed time mode. Took this photo with my 8. Variance among these displays is insane. My serial starts with C3 fwiw. Compared it to several floor models and it's the same as or better than most of them. Serial number / factory means nothing in my humble opinion, it is a total lottery based on my experience.

***EDIT- I had auto brightness off and set brightness to minimum and it looks perfect to me. If I leave auto brightness enabled it does appear a little brighter / more gray, because the brightness slider was not all the way at minimum, despite being in a pitch black room. This isn't hardware related in my humble opinion.

IMG_0133.jpg

Last edited:

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
My XS looks fine on that same screen with same wallpaper in DND during bed time mode. Took this photo with my 8.

View attachment 790956

omg, I want that, give me that. That’s what I want when I get an iPhone XS.

This gives me hope that there are displays other than the ones I’m experiencing.

May I ask, what’s your first two serial number? Apparently that can play a factor (but I’m unsure)

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
omg, I want that, give me that. That’s what I want when I get an iPhone XS.

This gives me hope that there are displays other than the ones I’m experiencing.

May I ask, what’s your first two serial number? Apparently that can play a factor (but I’m unsure)
I just edited my post as you were typing, haha. Serial starts with C3. I took the photo with auto brightness disabled and brightness slider at the lowest setting. With auto brightness enabled, the slider didn't go all the way down and it was a little brighter. I had to manually slide to the lowest setting. That could be your issue?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I just edited my post as you were typing, haha. Serial starts with C3. I took the photo with auto brightness disabled and brightness slider at the lowest setting. With auto brightness enabled, the slider didn't go all the way down and it was a little brighter. I had to manually slide to the lowest setting. That could be your issue?

I should’ve written down my devices’ serial numbers, but I think my last one was C3 too... hmm I guess serial numbers don’t matter?

Yeah, I’ve done it both ways. And for some reason True Tone makes it worse though.

Below was the image with True Tone on, auto-brightness off, brightness level to 0, and I used Photos to raise the shadows... and the results are staggering.

92366143-6137-46BE-9B60-BC228E307BCF.jpeg

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
Yeah, they get a cherry picked one every year. So do the reviewers. Apple isn't stupid, they know their tolerances are super loose around launch. Its 100% intentional in order to allow for greater yields when demand is highest. Lets be honest - not everyone will notice or care, so I guess I don't blame them. But it's up to us to beat them at their own game.

I don’t know why the Federal Trade Commission wouldn’t look at tactics like this. Their job is to protect consumers from deceptive practices.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

davec25

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
My XS is a DN. I attached a bad photo but thought I’d share.

That's kinda what mine looks like. Sight gradient from top to bottom, more pink towards the top. Unless the pink gradient I'm seeing is actually my phone. Lol.Tried to take a pic of mine with my X, but you can't see the pink for some reason.

Last edited:

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I should’ve written down my devices’ serial numbers, but I think my last one was C3 too... hmm I guess serial numbers don’t matter?

Yeah, I’ve done it both ways. And for some reason True Tone makes it worse though.

Below was the image with True Tone on, auto-brightness off, brightness level to 0, and I used Photos to raise the shadows... and the results are staggering.

View attachment 790964
Hmm. Tried mine again this time with True Tone on and it made no difference / looks the same. Good luck with your next one if you choose to order online. I feel your pain. Went through several X last year. This year I tried two XS, my original one was / is the keeper.

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
True Tone on the Xs Max is just way too aggressive at making whites look dingy dirty. Max on left and 8 Plus on right

First image is True Tone enabled on both.

Second image is True Tone disabled on both. The 8 Plus is way brighter at Max setting and whiter, which is why the text appears washed out but in real life it’s clearer.

This is my first OLED device and I’m not impressed. I don’t stare at black screens all day where it makes a visible difference. The Max in the pictures is actually my second Max. The first Max has even worse yellow whites and is going to be returned because WiFi intermittently stopped working on it.

Attachments

• C675DA25-C021-43B7-BDAB-2EFB34FF6B47.jpeg
    C675DA25-C021-43B7-BDAB-2EFB34FF6B47.jpeg
    970.3 KB · Views: 347
  • 0EFAED68-21BD-4812-A838-C007D2B6DE64.jpeg
    0EFAED68-21BD-4812-A838-C007D2B6DE64.jpeg
    916.4 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.