Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
2E786239-96BB-417A-AAAD-CAE808EDA155.jpeg
This is a photo with an iPhone X. Not great lighting in the room.

Reactions: Harthag

DanRyb

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Orange County, CA
View attachment 791239

Uniform but too yellow for me. Mine is also uniform but too warm for my liking. My X was cool and crisp and perfect. Honestly, it depends on if you can use/look at it happily! If you can then there's no problem. If you can't, then it's up to you to decide if it's worth the sometimes-hassle of returning and buying again.

Reactions: jimmy_uk and madKIR

BigSky20

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2007
My second one is pretty nice but the Apple store crazy smart rep messed me up. Now I have to return this one and they may or may not let me buy it again.

I am on the upgrade plan. I returned my first one and then ordered a second one for in store pick up. The apple store rep said I could either turn my old one in at the store or call Apple and have them send me a box to send it back. I opted for box to make sure the second one was good. I called today and they said the store messed up and I needed to turn it in at the store. They said the only way to fix the issue is to return this phone and buy another one and turn my original phone in at the store. I asked if they could do it on the same phone and they said some stores will allow it and some stores will not. Fun fun.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
View attachment 791239
Looks good! Any pink tint / shift at an angle? If not, a winner is you.

I'm on the verge of returning my XS and just sticking with my Pixel 2 XL. I'm amazed that my Pixel screen is whiter, has no pink --> blue shift, and shifts at a much wider angle than the XS. The minimal shift that does exist on the Pixel, is just a slight blue. Almost all of the XS screens I've looked at in stores suffer the same pink --> blue shift and have insanely narrow viewing angles before the shift occurs. I think Apple really cheaped out on the screens from Samsung. With bean counter Tim at the helm, I'm not at all surprised. For $1000+, these screens should all be the best and have minimal variance.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
View attachment 791239

The iPhone screen looks uniform (which I think is most important) - however, please be careful about other peoples opinion regarding your screen. There are too many factors to consider when taking a picture of your iPhone screen and posting it online (lighting, angle of phone/camera, etc.).

If the screen looks good to you, be happy and move on. Don't go looking for problems.

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
I think there is an OCD issue. Most people don’t care honestly. Apple must be going crazy over people that return 5 phones.
If they really cared they could easily have a developer or two create a white point calibration menu in the settings. I would even take a simple RGB slider solution where you could turn down reds greens or blues.

Reactions: jimmy_uk

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I think there is an OCD issue. Most people don’t care honestly. Apple must be going crazy over people that return 5 phones.

Most people don’t care, because they likely don’t know any better.

My iPhone XS cost me $2000, it better be superior to my iPhone X, considering this is an s-cycle that improves upon the last iteration. Not a downgrade.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

My iPhone XS cost me $2000, it better be superior to my iPhone X, considering this is an s-cycle that improves upon the last iteration. Not a downgrade.

Exactly. If people knew to compare their phones to a display unit, on the settings screen, with true tone off, they would care. People just dont know, and the ones with really bad screens are sitting around what all they hype is about? Screen looks like trash. Guess thats how its supposed to look, they might think.

Reactions: symphony

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC

No offense, but it’s such a delusion!
Apple is known for changing and tweaking the phones all the time. The iPhone is such a mass product full of many different parts supplied by many different suppliers! It’s always been some sort of lottery. You can go completely nuts trying to find a perfect unit. Moreover, there were examples when newer models were not better at all. On the contrary, there were issues with interlacing lines on the 5 and 5S, yellow screens, blotches on the 6S, crazy color shift, etc. Oh dear! Appel has had so much crap over the years lol
This year is no different! The XS is worse than the X. I checked units at 4 different stores and I have yet to see at least one single Xs or Xs Max that would be at least as good as my X. Apple is known for trying to save money in order to keep their exes and margins happy haha
I’m pretty sure they managed to strike a good deal with Samsung on cheaper screen panels this year, hence worse quality compared to last year.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
No offense, but it’s such a delusion!
Apple is known for changing and tweaking the phones all the time. The iPhone is such a mass product full of many different parts supplied by many different suppliers! It’s always been some sort of lottery. You can go completely nuts trying to find a perfect unit. Moreover, there were examples when newer models were not better at all. On the contrary, there were issues with interlacing lines on the 5 and 5S, yellow screens, blotches on the 6S, crazy color shift, etc. Oh dear! Appel has had so much crap over the years lol
This year is no different! The XS is worse than the X. I checked units at 4 different stores and I have yet to see at least one single Xs or Xs Max that would be at least as good as my X. Apple is known for trying to save money in order to keep their exes and margins happy haha
I’m pretty sure they managed to strike a good deal with Samsung on cheaper screen panels this year, hence worse quality compared to last year.

I don’t doubt that Apple cheaped out with Samsung for cheaper displays this year.

It took me one try to get a good iPhone X screen, and 6 tries for XS currently (and still ongoing, already returned and waiting a week to order online)

Reactions: John webstar44

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
I showed it to my sister, she thought the screen looked nice and crisp. I showed it to her with True Tone off, and she thought that looked too blue. I think I will keep it. I never felt it was a bad screen and you can spend a lot of time driving yourself crazy trying to find that “perfect” screen. I did that once, and I swore never again. I don’t think there is that one ideal screen. Every generation of iPhone I have had, the screens were slightly different in tone. Besides which, the people at the Apple store get tired of seeing you come in and want to look at different screens until you find one you are happy with. If you have a bad screen, get it fixed. Don’t compare to your old phone, it is a different generation.

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I showed it to my sister, she thought the screen looked nice and crisp. I showed it to her with True Tone off, and she thought that looked too blue. I think I will keep it. I never felt it was a bad screen and you can spend a lot of time driving yourself crazy trying to find that “perfect” screen. I did that once, and I swore never again. I don’t think there is that one ideal screen. Every generation of iPhone I have had, the screens were slightly different in tone. Besides which, the people at the Apple store get tired of seeing you come in and want to look at different screens until you find one you are happy with. If you have a bad screen, get it fixed. Don’t compare to your old phone, it is a different generation.

Well maybe her eyes adapted to True Tone’s whites. Sometimes a slightly cooler white is perfect to not make True Tone as harsh as it can sometimes appear.

Not sure what you guys are depressed about? Just turn off trine tone.

I love True Tone on my devices. We shouldn’t have to disable a feature because it has become gimped on the new devices. We shouldn’t have to tolerate it, especially when it was a great experience before.

Herro177

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2018
Anyone noticed tint is different with different viewing angles. When true tone is enabled, looking from the side, tint is toward the cooler side opposed to warmer when looking directly at the screen.

DJ_Smith

Suspended
Sep 13, 2018
Montana USA
I think if you research a bit further you’ll realise turning off True Tone doesn’t make the uniformity issues and yellow tints go away.
So what? People have been complaining about yellow tint since the 5S days. No sure what’s the deal. I never have yellow tint on any of my Apple devices. Either because I’m not digging my nose in my phone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
So what? People have been complaining about yellow tint since the 5S days. No sure what’s the deal. I never have yellow tint on any of my Apple devices. Either because I’m not digging my nose in my phone.
I suppose people didn’t expect these issues to be following them from LCD to OLED. I’ve never had issues myself either, but I’ve seen many examples where I’d be unhappy if I had got unlucky. The problem for Apple is the likes of Samsung and other high end Android OEM’s appear to be selling phones with better quality panels and have done for many years where these issues cease to exist. Apple charge a massive premium and people expect identical quality if not better.

jlevy73

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2015
Anyone noticed tint is different with different viewing angles. When true tone is enabled, looking from the side, tint is toward the cooler side opposed to warmer when looking directly at the screen.

Yes, that is normal characteristic for OLED panels.
[doublepost=1538460575][/doublepost]
I suppose people didn’t expect these issues to be following them from LCD to OLED. I’ve never had issues myself either, but I’ve seen many examples where I’d be unhappy if I had got unlucky. The problem for Apple is the likes of Samsung and other high end Android OEM’s appear to be selling phones with better quality panels and have done for many years where these issues cease to exist. Apple charge a massive premium and people expect identical quality if not better.

Part of the problem are threads like these. If you never compared your phone to another it would probably look great. I'm not sure there is evidence that Samsung sells worse panels to companies like Apple then say to Google or HTC. I think the bigger issue is when you mass produce something to the tune of 75 millions panels, there is going to be variability. Personally I like a slightly cooler screen. That being said, I have been told that warmer displays are more accurate.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
EVERYONE WAIT AND STOP RIGHT THERE!

I've noticed that depending on when I switch True Tone on and off, the white point shifts accordingly. True Tone also doesn't turn the screen yellow to the same extent every time in the same environment. I spoke to Apple Care and - according to the person I spoke to - there may be some problem with a new ambient light sensor on the XS. They tested mine and said it passed the test but were aware of the fact that recalibration might be needed. I'm not sure if this is something that can be carried out via an iOS Update. I just wished they could give us a calibration option like on macOS, as the screen is faultless just not the right colour temperature. It could so easily be fixed by us...
Not sure Apple can push a calibration update through iOS. You really need to be viewing the screen to determine the correct calibration. Moreover, I'd be pissed if they did some form of iOS calibration and it messed up my screen which I love. Wouldn't be against them giving the user to customise it more, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.