Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
Hello Guys,

I'm Steve from Nanostate, the makers of Onyx the nanotechnology coating for the jet black.

The Onyx coating will be fine for light users, if your a heavy or rough user then we would not recommend it. We have received a lot of emails from people who think the product is bullet proof, Onyx is limited to what it can do, if you get a key and scratch hard then it will penetrate the coating or if you dig a coin in to the surface it will do the same. This product is really for people who take care of there devices.

For the more rugged user we have Alien Skin which is a Nano film like no others on the market, it's super clear and almost invisible and can only be seen on close inspection, from our tests the gloss finish is not effected once the film is applied.

I would love to answer any questions people have if it's about our products or others as protective surfaces is my field.

Send me a sample, so I can make a review on it...

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
@chfilm

Thanks for the questions :)

So how is onyx applied?
Just 3 drops from the bottle / 3 coats

Will it protect the phone from those micro scratches everyone is so afraid of?

That's a bit of a tricky question, for example some types of sand have some very hard minerals inside quartz being the main offender of micro scratches, if it's just day to day dirt and dust then it's not a problem. With a case as you well know that over time it accumulates dirt and dust and can still scratch your phone.

I'm too paranoid, can't even have the iPhone 6s without a leather case, after it fell down and the screen shattered horribly...
Our Alien Skin film has shock resistance as well, the videos can be seen on our website (I don't want to post any links and be accused of spamming, I'm genuinely here to answer questions not promote our products)

And please tell us some more info about the alien skin. It's like a regular protective film but better?
The Alien Skin & Shock Stopper (front screen protector) are not normal PET films that other full body skin companies use, these are all from China and pretty poor performance, our film is imported from... Germany :) We then top coat it with self healing properties, then cut in to the phones shapes.

At some point the edges always looked nasty or there was some air trapped inside
Some of the cheap films go a yellow colour and this can look like the film is dirty, our film has anti-yellow properties so we don't have this issue.

The application is very easy and bubble free, you can see that on our website. For some reason your skin gets damaged or beyond use you can get a replacement for free (just shipping costs) it has a life time guarantee.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

If I get 10 requests for the following offer in this post then we will setup a coupon number on checkout and include the Alien Skin back piece for your jet black with your purchase of Onyx exclusively for mac rumour members. How does that sound ? That way you have double protection with a lifetime guarantee.
Cool man, thanks for answering! I'd sure like that coupon code and order one.

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Looks like the Onyx is out of stock. Won't allow pre-order.

Has anyone ever used their Liquid Sapphire?

mikegoldnj

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2005
Hi Mike,

We have restocked the shop with the final few.
Am I on wrong site? Still not seeing it.

20da7ee01a287c26a4e2fd743d32e57d.jpg

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
@chfilm

So how is onyx applied?

That's a bit of a tricky question, for example some types of sand have some very hard minerals inside quartz being the main offender of micro scratches, if it's just day to day dirt and dust then it's not a problem. With a case as you well know that over time it accumulates dirt and dust and can still scratch your phone.

I'm too paranoid, can't even have the iPhone 6s without a leather case, after it fell down and the screen shattered horribly...
Our Alien Skin film has shock resistance as well, the videos can be seen on our website (I don't want to post any links and be accused of spamming, I'm genuinely here to answer questions not promote our products)

And please tell us some more info about the alien skin. It's like a regular protective film but better?
The Alien Skin & Shock Stopper (front screen protector) are not normal PET films that other full body skin companies use, these are all from China and pretty poor performance, our film is imported from... Germany :) We then top coat it with self healing properties, then cut in to the phones shapes.

At some point the edges always looked nasty or there was some air trapped inside
Some of the cheap films go a yellow colour and this can look like the film is dirty, our film has anti-yellow properties so we don't have this issue.

The application is very easy and bubble free, you can see that on our website. For some reason your skin gets damaged or beyond use you can get a replacement for free (just shipping costs) it has a life time guarantee.

If I get 10 requests for the following offer in this post then we will setup a coupon number on checkout and include the Alien Skin back piece for your jet black with your purchase of Onyx exclusively for mac rumour members. How does that sound ? That way you have double protection with a lifetime guarantee.

How does you product stop micro scratches? Give us some details.

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Been thinking about ordering this Onyx since I saw it about a week ago. I just ordered it. We'll see how it works when my jb+ gets here in 2018.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Will use this case as a start
a70f0d4f79f09def3f4cc2ac5a1bdb23.jpg
I am scared to snap the JB in and out of a spigen. Even the ones with soft bumpers require it to be snapped in and that's exactly the kind of friction that's gonna scratch it.

I opted for the official leather case but then that leaves thw bottom exposed.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
My first though was a full body protector, like one that's offered from Xtremeguard. I had one on my 6 Plus and I really like it. It had to be wet for application, but now since the phones are waterproof it's a lot less riskier.

Reactions: Texxy

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
My first though was a full body protector, like one that's offered from Xtremeguard. I had one on my 6 Plus and I really like it. It had to be wet for application, but now since the phones are waterproof it's a lot less riskier.
I am doing this with BestSkinsEver. Xtremeguard to me was never that good.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I am scared to snap the JB in and out of a spigen. Even the ones with soft bumpers require it to be snapped in and that's exactly the kind of friction that's gonna scratch it.

I opted for the official leather case but then that leaves thw bottom exposed.
Highly doubt it will scratch just going in and out a case. That's being a tad paranoid to be fair:)

GrimmsGirl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2013
@chfilm

I'd bite.

Reactions: fresh801 and Texxy

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
@chfilm

So how is onyx applied?

I would also be interested!

mandurz

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Los Angeles, Ca
@chfilm

So how is onyx applied?

Hi mike, what about for the matte black. Would you recommend onyx? Or the liquid sapphire. I was thinking in one of these or the alien skin. I am very interested in your products :)

iphone4life6901

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
@chfilm

So how is onyx applied?

I have a question for you. When applying onyx to my jet black 7, do I need to avoid getting this coating over the camera lens and flash? Will it make a difference?

Chronus

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2014
@chfilm

So how is onyx applied?

Would certainly be interested in this, would like the Alien skin.

Marco123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
@chfilm

Hello, I would really like a coupon code.
Would you ship to the UK?

So how is onyx applied?

Hello, I would really like a coupon code.
Would you ship to the UK?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.