Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is final release iOS 12 doing for you?

• It’s faster, no bugs, has improvements, I love it

Votes: 155 77.5%
  • It's slower, has bugs, not enough improvements, I hate it

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • It’s the same for me, indifferent to the improvements, neither love or hate it

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • I own an Android but came here anyway

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My 6s, Air2 and X all run absolutely fabulous on iOS12! iOS12 even fixed the crappie gps performance my X was having on iOS11 from the beginning. Location has been precise since updating this morning. I’m very happy with what Apple has done to fix performance across the board.

Kawawolf

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Upstate NY
Its runs like a champ for me on an iphone SE. I waited on 9.0.3 for this to come out when people were reporting it was really good.

Battery life...amazing. 30 mins of pandora, watched a couple of video clips from my sister....still at 100%. They really have tweaked the code or something!

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
How come I can't see the IOS 12 update when I go to iTunes? It still shows 11.4. I'm still on 10.3.2 on i7+. I want to do it through iTunes and set up as new

Edit: Nevermind, once I hit restore, it changed to 12

Last edited:

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
So my wife’s iPhone 7 does have performance increase, more so than my X felt.

My kids 6S is much faster as well like I thought it would be. He can easily wait for another year and two months until I hand down my X to him and get a new phone for myself. By then, I will have used my 6S for four years.

IOS 12.0 is like a breath of second life to older iphones. I’d like to see the older phone speed tests vs their completion again, watch them vs those old android phones that don’t get any updates. See how the fare now vs each other comparison.

Way to go Apple taking care of ALL your 64bit phones, not just last years model with this update. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: joelovesapple

cipher29

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
Installed the GM on Friday, so have a few days of experience...

iPhone X - super solid, buttery smooth and no bugs as of yet.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
With iOS 12 it’s like I’ve got a new phone
YES. This is BY FAR the best Apple release in YEARS. iPhone X feels three times as fast, so does Apple Watch Series 3, so does iPad Pro, so does Apple TV, and thanks to new desktop Chrome from Google, which is blazing, it's like every device I own is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster ACROSS THE BOARD than a few days ago.

Thank you Apple! Features are fine but super-fast performance? YES PLEASE! :D

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
How's iOS 12 doing on the 6?

I had found that class of SoC to be slowing down even several years ago. The 6s was a big jump both in memory and CPU speed over the 6.

stevemiller

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2008
how's ios 12 in comparison with 10.3.1 ? should i upgrade? iphone 7. thanks

I totally skipped iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 with all the negative press. Took the plung on iOS 12 today and first impressions WOW, it’s really really good.

Closest release yet to the smoothness of ios6 era

fongyuen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Please keep the rest of us updated on battery life. Not willing to trade performance gains for decreased battery life, thanks!

Reactions: TVreporter

eric89074

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Please keep the rest of us updated on battery life. Not willing to trade performance gains for decreased battery life, thanks!

Battery life is much better than iOS 11. With normal use on my 6s with 94% battery health I'd usually be around 60% by lunch. Now on 12 I'm in the high 80s to low 90s. If you have a device capable of running iOS 12 do it. It's the best iOS in a long time. It feels like the 4s did on iOS 5/6.

Reactions: fongyuen

fatalogic

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2016
For me it’s much better than the nightmare that was the iOS 11 update. This is how iOS updates should be handled, press update and have no fear the next update is going to wreck your experience. It took months for me to feel satisfied with iOS 11. The only thing I don’t like is the new side bar on the IPad news app.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I feel like scrolling and app opening is slower on my SE on iOS 12. And it is a brand new phone that was super fast on iOS 11 it had out of the box. It’s not slow, just not as zippy and lightning fast. Oh well.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
Wonder if the new “screen time” or “advanced battery tracking” running in the background where it normally was not, is now wearing the battery out ?

Beta test reviewer said they got a little bit more battery life. I have to test this out tomorrow based on my normal activity where I can get through an entire day with my X as well.

Could well be. Seems Safari is my biggest battery drainer at the moment but to be honest my X generally sits on my desk at work while I listen to music via AirPods and my watch takes most of the notifications.

I also have background app refresh disabled for everything apart from maps and my works helpdesk app.

Something is definitely different or maybe it is just battery wear after a year of ownership and the timing is a coincidence.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
Just updated my iPhone 7. It’s moving much faster and is more responsive.

corruptdream

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I totally skipped iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 with all the negative press. Took the plung on iOS 12 today and first impressions WOW, it’s really really good.

Closest release yet to the smoothness of ios6 era

Thanks!

did you upgraded over the wifi or using itunes ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.