Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How is final release iOS 12 doing for you?

• It’s faster, no bugs, has improvements, I love it

Votes: 155 77.5%
  • It's slower, has bugs, not enough improvements, I hate it

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • It’s the same for me, indifferent to the improvements, neither love or hate it

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • I own an Android but came here anyway

Votes: 5 2.5%

• Total voters

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
let us know about the battery.

Well I can tell you that the one thing I don’t like so far is how settings tracks battery usage now. It’s hard to tell usage or even standby time since the last full charge. But based on about 24 hours since I fully charged both, I would say that my 6th Gen iPad and iPhone 8 Plus seem to be doing about the same in terms of battery life as they did on 11.4. Or maybe slightly better. It’s hard to tell, so far, but they’re certainly no worse.

sparkso

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
Superfast.
I thought it was just me, so i came here to confirm it is happening to the rest of us.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
I've been using iOS 12 since Dev Beta 1 back in June on my iPhone 7 Plus and iPad Pro 10.5. When I went to upgrade a family member's iPhone 7 Plus from iOS 11.4.1 to 12.0, I was getting annoyed at slow the load and refresh times were. The difference isn't just measurable, it's noticeable system wide.

It only took six f*ing releases to get iOS back to the refined experience we had with iOS 6. I can't wait until they screw it up again next year. :rolleyes:

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Overall I’m very happy with iOS 12 on my 8 Plus. Only worry is the storage algorithm or whatever Apple has changed to calculate the amount of storage left on the device. It’s changing pretty often despite me not deleting or downloading anything to the device, so it makes me think Apple are using the device storage as a cache or swap to help iOS 12 run quickly. Either way, it’s not fluctuating horribly, normally between 28.1gb and 27.8gb free.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
I've noticed Touch ID is WAY faster, on my 8 at least. On iOS 11, oftentimes when invoking Touch ID, the password field would pop up for a split second or two before Touch ID unlocked the phone. Now it is a seamless unlock that happens very quickly. Have not seen the password field pop up a single time since updating.

Haven't really noticed anything better or worse performance-wise, in general use it feels like it runs the same. Settings seems to open a good bit faster, but regular apps are about the same as they were.

Oh, and they finally fixed the issue when you restart your phone and swipe left of the home screen to go to Today View, since iOS 11 it was not aligned properly when you first viewed it, now it is fixed to where it is aligned properly. They also fixed the bug where the Wallpaper picker in Settings would sometimes show the carrier name in the Wallpaper preview images.

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
No bugs, fantastic on my 2018 iPad, definitely smoother and faster, same with my iPhone X.

When I did iOS11, immediately things where popping up ruining the experience...and this went on and on for about 10 updates.

__BLAINE

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
I feel like the system is overall faster, specially with better loading times on apps... Problem is that animations seems a little choppy, between app transitions and on home screen, like 30fps vs 60fps.

Did an OTA update at first but after some time did a clean install, same thing on both. Anyone with a simolar experience?

chivkea

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
iOS 12 did make my 5s run much smoother. I am speculating it's not because iOS 12 is new, but Apple just gave us back iOS 10. Apparently, iOS 11 slowed down all phones since the beginning.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Does anyone have Safari benches? It feels a tad faster too. 7 Plus.

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Overall I’m very happy with iOS 12 on my 8 Plus. Only worry is the storage algorithm or whatever Apple has changed to calculate the amount of storage left on the device. It’s changing pretty often despite me not deleting or downloading anything to the device, so it makes me think Apple are using the device storage as a cache or swap to help iOS 12 run quickly. Either way, it’s not fluctuating horribly, normally between 28.1gb and 27.8gb free.

Update: was down to 20gb free just earlier with System swallowing 8gb extra. WTH is up with it!? I know about indexing but that’s been over 2 days now. How does a bug this serious slip through beta testing?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I’ve got a slight bug with the new login screen popping up every time I visit a certain webpage even though I am already logged in and the rejigged keyboard layout on the iPad is driving me crazy.

Apart from that it seems good so far.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
2 days in with iOS12 and all devices 6S, 7’s & X all work and showing no bugs.

It does seem performance wise the older phones benefited the most gains.

Battery life for me is the same, possibly just a tiny bit less but I’ve been running ‘screen time’ sine update and that might be the extra battery drain.

The other phones in my family don’t run ‘screen time’ and battery life seem the same to them.

Wonder if anyone can validate if running ‘screen time’ as opposed to without has shortened thier battery life by a smidge?

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
On my device(iPhone 6) is running much better than iOS 11, but the battery seems draining much faster. I'll wait another couple of days to judge battery life

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
It's been great for me until this morning when ALL five of my alarms had the tone set to "none" causing them to not go off at all.

joshua89

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Philippines
Anyone experiencing this bug in the HEALTH APP? Data is not being updated. I have to close the health app and open it again for it to be updated (example step count). iOS 11 did not have this problem. Anyone experiencing the same?

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
I was using iOS 10.3.2 in the iPAD PRO 10.5 (256 GB, wifi+cel) since day 1. Haven't changed since I received my device, in October 2017. Must say iOS 12 is a joy: a lot more faster and practical, and the new features are worth updating.

I did a clean install as instructed here:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-is-eating-my-battery.2139309/page-2#post-26512768

And so far have not noticed any battery issues. It will take at least a week (note: all battery apps are not working for iOS 12) for me to evaluate if it's lasting as before.

P.S. Further proof that iOS 12 is excelent:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/infuse-pro-vs-nplayer-plus.2052537/#post-26527995

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rnet-on-ipad-pro.1974288/page-5#post-26512883

Last edited:

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
So I set up an ‘alternate FaceID’ while lying on my pillow and unlocking my lock screen now works in the middle of the night! :cool:

Reactions: fongyuen

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
On my iPhone X 256GB I've noticed many times (not always) that when I tap on the microphone to dictate an iMessage that the dictation turns itself off very soon into the dictation, and it sometimes takes 1-2 more tries to get it to "stick" so that I can dictate the whole message. Kinda irritating.

Also, when watching a movie on my X or 7+ in landscape mode, when I try to drag the scrubber bar to rewind a little bit and see a scene over again, it often starts to pull down the notifications from the top of the screen at the same time as I'm scrubbing back. I have to let go of the scrubber bar and try again with my finger a little lower.

abw2002

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2007
Not good on my iPad Mini. I'm having issues with keyboard not registering my taps. So weird. Hard booted it. Still happening.

geekiemac

macrumors 65816
Feb 13, 2016
The positive: iOS 12 runs faster and smoother on older devices (Phone 5S) or the ones I don't use on a daily basis (iPad Air 2). Performance improvements noticed on my everyday iPhone X as well.

The less good: While battery life remained unchanged on the iPad, it doesn't look that good on the X. By the end of a day with ~ 4-5 hours active use, I'm usually down to 20%. Battery health on the X dropped to 94% since I installed iOS 12 as well. :(

All in all I like the new OS a lot, I was more enthusiastic the first few days until I noticed how buggy Screen Time and Battery are for now - I hope this will improve with upcoming updates. As usual, by the time we get to 12.2 or 12.3, most nasty bugs will have been ironed out. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.