Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Got my Spigen today from Amazon. The Studio fits nicely on top with no visible gaps, so I guess I was lucky. I did some testing and so far the temperatures don't seem to have increased more than 1 or 2 degrees Celsius at most, which is negligible.

I'll give it a few days before checking the dust filter. Fingers crossed.

View attachment 2200607 View attachment 2200608
Apologies for being off topic, but what monitoring application is that?

MacFever

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
found another 3D printable design with space for a foam filter...

Is there a site that can 3D print designs for you if you dont have a 3D printer?

screenshot-2023-02-19-at-120524.webp

Reactions: Shazaam!

scoresheet

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2023
This is where I've landed. I initially jumped onto the Spiegen stand, which was fine. I opted to fill it, imperfectly, with some 45PPI reticulated foam filter. A ~2°C degrees increase on temps under a normal workload within a 20/22°C ambient temperature.
I came across the 3D print model, I liked the approach and without knowing anything about 3D printing, I thought why not.
I opted for the internal pieces to be printed PLA via FMD and the external housing dyed black nylon PA12 via MFJ, for a better finish quality, but at a higher cost.
I've just sourced a silicone sealing strip to fit around the case and create a more air tight seal, to finish it off.

View attachment 2247578 View attachment 2247585
Hi, i find mine moves about on top of the case - Could you tell me what you used to keep it steady? you mention silicon sealing - what size did you get?

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
Update - No dust caught after 6 weeks with Spigen. Think the lower fan speeds of the M2 are having a massive effect... Will see how it looks in a couple of months.

Nothing special about the room it's in, it has a normal level of dust.
After a few months, I noticed a fine layer of dust on the Spigen and nothing on the M2 Studio. It works, but due to the lower airflow of the M2 Mac, there's much less dust than the M1.

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
Hi, i find mine moves about on top of the case - Could you tell me what you used to keep it steady? you mention silicon sealing - what size did you get?
From post #349:
"I've confirmed my measurement, a 3mm thick x 12mm wide Neoprene Rubber Strip fits perfectly and creates a good seal and friction so the Mac Studio grips the case."

Reactions: transmaster

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
found another 3D printable design with space for a foam filter...

Is there a site that can 3D print designs for you if you dont have a 3D printer?

screenshot-2023-02-19-at-120524.webp

Did you have this printed yet? If so what foam did you use inside?

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Received, and attached, the Spigen yesterday around 5PM EST.

View attachment 2320573

Here's an iStat 24h graph of temps:

View attachment 2320574

Still about 34C average.
The CPU temp is within the feedback loop of the cooling system - the fan speed and duty cycle will work to keep it the same.

A more interesting measurement would be how the Spigen affected the fan speed or duty cycle.

designerdave72

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Received, and attached, the Spigen yesterday around 5PM EST.

View attachment 2320573

Here's an iStat 24h graph of temps:

View attachment 2320574

Still about 34C average.

Keep en eye on the filter every couple of weeks. Although the Spigen does a really good job of preventing dust, some dust still collects and has to be removed. I've had mine since March and periodically check for debris.

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
The CPU temp is within the feedback loop of the cooling system - the fan speed and duty cycle will work to keep it the same.

A more interesting measurement would be how the Spigen affected the fan speed or duty cycle.

Attached are multiple 7-day graphs. I added the Spigen to my Studio @roughly 5PM last Saturday.

Airflow-FL.jpg Airflow-FR.jpg Airflow-RL.jpg Airflow-RR.jpg CPU_Core-Average.jpg Fan1.jpg Fan2.jpg Total-Power.jpg

Reactions: colodane

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
Thank You Splifingate for posting this. Impressive use of iStat capability.

These data clearly show that the Spigen does not appreciably affect the Studio cooling system. So if it captures a significant amount of dust, it is indeed a positive addition to your Studio setup.

Thanks again!

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Thank You Splifingate for posting this. Impressive use of iStat capability.

These data clearly show that the Spigen does not appreciably affect the Studio cooling system. So if it captures a significant amount of dust, it is indeed a positive addition to your Studio setup.

Thanks again!

yw!

Glad to provide insight.

Normally, I maintain the thermostat at 19C during the day when I'm out-and-about.

I held a three-day weekend, this last, and let the t-stat off the leash . . . on Sunday, I basked in 24C comfort ;) Consequently, I believe I noticed a slight up-turn in temps.

I'm particularly enamored with the MS right now, but I'll prepare some (relatively) comparative stats from my MP 5,1 somewhere over the next few weeks.

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Keep en eye on the filter every couple of weeks. Although the Spigen does a really good job of preventing dust, some dust still collects and has to be removed. I've had mine since March and periodically check for debris.

I have two quats, work outside in my livelihood, and currently have the comps in the same room as the Wash/Dryer . . . the regular amount of fur, lint and dust available in the splifingate household is immeasurable ;)

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
"Thirty Days In" with the Spigen LD202:

Spigen-LD202_30-days-in.png

This is just a 30-day temperature-gradient perspective. Cleanliness deserves its own attention, so that'll be reserved for Another Day ;)

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Reactions: crowe-t

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Mac Studio vs. Dust

[snip]

The link below is a post by a talented Croatia product designer named Gjuroo who designed an air filter cabinet that fits beneath the Mac Studio/Mini. Follow the links to purchase the 3D printer files ($20), choose your cabinet color, print the files ($40) and add the Uni filter ($20) or suggested automobile cabin filter ($10).

How to clean the Mac Studio from dust ? | MacRumors Forum

View attachment 2166791

View attachment 2166793

View attachment 2166795

View attachment 2166797 View attachment 2166798

View attachment 2166794

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rom-dust.2338827/?post=31936415#post-31936415

Of the two pleated automotive-type cabin filters I bought (for the Mitsubishi Mirage G4 and sold on Amazon) which fit the above filter housing the Bi-Trust brand is a much better quality (fit & construction) than the PUR brand. It is also USD$2.00 cheaper.

Last edited:

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
It is already commercially-available product. 3D printing model is available on CGTrader.
Shazaam! bought it, left a very nice review and also wrote an article in other topic:
LINK

Patents are pricey and the whole process of development and production is just too expensive and time consuming for two of us. We would defenitely need an investor to protect the product and start the production of some more serious casing.

So far, i guess we offer a quite decent product to MacStudio community.
It is an excellent product. I bought it and after having it printed went back to the site to leave a review but because I bought as a Guest rather than a Registered User, I could not connect my purchase to leave the review. I recommend it to anyone who wants a high-quality product.

Last edited:

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Yes it can. I picked mine up from the printer today, aluminum/silver color. It fits my Studio perfectly. The files are available here:
Can you post a picture of the one you had printed?

majus

Contributor
Mar 25, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Can you post a picture of the one you had printed?
I could, but there is no point in cluttering up the thread with duplicate pictures. It looks like the pics that Gjuroo posted at the top of Page 3. The only differences would be the surface textures, due to different printer models or printer settings.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
It is an excellent product. I bought it and after having it printed went back to the site to leave a review but because I bought as a Guest rather than a Registered User, I could not connect my purchase to leave the review. I recommend it to anyone who wants a high-quality product.
Is yours printed in PLA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.