Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultratiem

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2023
https://unifilter.com/online-catalog/accessories/
A thinner layer would offer the same level of dust protection but provide you with nearly no loss to air flow when compared to no filter.

Dust doesn't really worm its way into things, it settles. It's also extremely light. So when it hits the filter, other particles start piling on top. This is why even high flow vent dust filters are immensely thin.

Try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-C...86-a2a8-55ad98a90b64&pd_rd_i=B000BO68BU&psc=1

ultratiem

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2023
Was looking for Mac Studio filters and I came across and interest way of building a filter. Use an empty Mac Mini case. you can pick them up on eBay for around $15 bucks. The Mac Studio will drop right in there is plenty of room in the empty case to fit filtering material. The case perfectly matches the Mac Studio, of course.
I just nabbed this: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Designed-Desktop-FIlter-Crystal/dp/B0B24PTMRF/

Nice polish, dust filter and all at a decent price. This thing is a nightmare to de-dust internally.

Reactions: George Dawes

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
A thinner layer would offer the same level of dust protection but provide you with nearly no loss to air flow when compared to no filter.

Dust doesn't really worm its way into things, it settles. It's also extremely light. So when it hits the filter, other particles start piling on top. This is why even high flow vent dust filters are immensely thin.

Try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Frost-King-C...86-a2a8-55ad98a90b64&pd_rd_i=B000BO68BU&psc=1
Air flow is restricted by the foam cell size, filter thickness and the filter flow area. Small foam cell size will capture smaller dust particles so dust is more efficiently removed from the air flow. Filter thickness determines how much dust is held and the duration of the filter cleaning interval. Thin filter material lacks volume, so more frequent filter cleaning is required to avoid clogging.

Thicker filter material air flow restriction is offset by increasing filter flow area, which is why fabric-based filters are pleated to increase both filter material volume and surface area. Protecting the Mac Studio with a thick layer of foam provides much more air flow area through the filter material than is even provided by the Studio air inlet holes — so there's no additional flow reduction nor increase in operating temperature experienced.

In this case, a more efficient filter that doesn't require constant attention to cleaning is best.

True, dust in the air eventually settles, but dust suspended in the air is constantly drawn in by the Studio's cooling fans, unfiltered dust builds-up on internal components — mostly on the fan vanes — and operating temperatures rise over time. You've seen the pictures.

Reactions: lotones

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
I just nabbed this: https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Designed-Desktop-FIlter-Crystal/dp/B0B24PTMRF/

Nice polish, dust filter and all at a decent price. This thing is a nightmare to de-dust internally.
That product device is not a dust filter. It has a cleanable screen for capturing larger debris like cat hair, but dust particles in the air are much, much smaller than the screen holes provided. As you pointed out, larger debris settle out from the air anyway so I don't see the point.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I ordered the Spigen but on second thought I think I will return it ( I have not opened the box yet) I bought it out of Paranoia. I live in a dusty house with 2 dogs. I think I will just clean the desk and vacuum the vents regularly. I have AppleCare so I'm should be set for 3 years if any issues arise. This is a great discussion, I appreciate everyone views.

Reactions: George Dawes

Kim Larni

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2020
I ordered the Spigen but on second thought I think I will return it ( I have not opened the box yet) I bought it out of Paranoia. I live in a dusty house with 2 dogs. I think I will just clean the desk and vacuum the vents regularly. I have AppleCare so I'm should be set for 3 years if any issues arise. This is a great discussion, I appreciate everyone views.

I was looking at the Spigen too, but didn't order it. I'm happy with the DustEnd filter. In one package there is enough filter material for a long time. And it works well.

Attachments

• Näyttökuva 2023-8-7 kello 15.45.01.png
    Näyttökuva 2023-8-7 kello 15.45.01.png
    3 MB · Views: 243
Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I was looking at the Spigen too, but didn't order it. I'm happy with the DustEnd filter. In one package there is enough filter material for a long time. And it works well.
Which DustEnd product is that? I am getting a little disenchanted with the Spigen. It does not filter any better than intake filters on the MS, plus it is a PIA moving the MS around on the desktop because it is so loosely fitted.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA

Now I thinking I may keep the stand and give it a try as I said I live in a dusty house. I do have a question for the Spine owners. Do you feel the stand blocks some of the Mac Studio vent holes when it is installed?

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I have been using the Spigen stand/filter for a few months and can only see that it works... Temps were not affected, so I must assume it does not block anything. And I know it catches some dust etc. as I have cleaned it once, and there was dust to be cleaned caught in the filter.

Luis Glez

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2014
Now I thinking I may keep the stand and give it a try as I said I live in a dusty house. I do have a question for the Spine owners. Do you feel the stand blocks some of the Mac Studio vent holes when it is installed?
Although the Spigen might block some of the vent holes, in practice it doesn't seem to affect temperatures that much, maybe an increase of 2 or 3 degrees celsius at most. Mine catches some dust, but there is also dust on the Studio's air intake (I clean them both once a week).

It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than nothing.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I cleaned the DustEnd filtering material on the Spigen stand. I trimmed it better this time and fitted it better. It is self adhesive so it easily attaches to the underside of the Spigen stand. I notice my operating temperatures are down by about 5° C., and is running at about 46° C. It was never more than 55° C before. I am happy with the Spigen again. By itself it is not really that good but with with the self adhesive DustEnd installed carefully underneath it is doing the job quite well. I am waiting for something with a better filter such as the 3D printed one up thread but for now I am good to go.

This is what I am using. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011EIIS5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
DustEnd has a Utility software that sadly does have a macOS version. On a PC is hooks into the Motherboard's sensors and alerts you to when it is time to clean or replace the DustEnd filter material.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
I have noticed a very interesting thing about this Mac Studio. It is the first desktop computer I have owned that is somewhat sensitive to the ambient temperature. It is 22° C in this room right now, the MS now has a average temp of 45°C. I have had 28° C in at the radio station. The MS than runs at about 54°C. With my PC's they had so much extra cooling capacity the never got above 24° C that was not an average but the temperature of the CPU no matter what the interior temp was.

Reactions: drrich2

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
Apple has chosen to deem low power consumption to be more important than CPU temperature for its products containing M-series chips, mainly for extended battery operation. Consequently, they use a higher temperature set point for triggering higher fan speed. PC's don't care about power consumption so they constantly ramp up fan speed as needed to maintain lower CPU temperatures.

blankets

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
This is where I've landed. I initially jumped onto the Spiegen stand, which was fine. I opted to fill it, imperfectly, with some 45PPI reticulated foam filter. A ~2°C degrees increase on temps under a normal workload within a 20/22°C ambient temperature.
I came across the 3D print model, I liked the approach and without knowing anything about 3D printing, I thought why not.
I opted for the internal pieces to be printed PLA via FMD and the external housing dyed black nylon PA12 via MFJ, for a better finish quality, but at a higher cost.
I've just sourced a silicone sealing strip to fit around the case and create a more air tight seal, to finish it off.

mac-studio-case.jpg mac-studio-case-inside.jpg

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
I'm using the same 3D-printed housing and filter material. I like your black color.
What silicon sealing strip are you using? Believe it or not — I'm using a wide shoelace :).

blankets

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
I took the measurements from my digital caliber to allow for printing tolerances. 3mm (thick) and 15mm wide is the closest I could find easily. I think 12mm is optimal, so I'll cut it down.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
This is where I've landed. I initially jumped onto the Spiegen stand, which was fine. I opted to fill it, imperfectly, with some 45PPI reticulated foam filter. A ~2°C degrees increase on temps under a normal workload within a 20/22°C ambient temperature.
I came across the 3D print model, I liked the approach and without knowing anything about 3D printing, I thought why not.
I opted for the internal pieces to be printed PLA via FMD and the external housing dyed black nylon PA12 via MFJ, for a better finish quality, but at a higher cost.
I've just sourced a silicone sealing strip to fit around the case and create a more air tight seal, to finish it off.

View attachment 2247578 View attachment 2247585
Nice
Just curious if there is a temperature difference between the 3d printed filter and the Spiegen stand?

Gjuroo

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2023
I'm using the same 3D-printed housing and filter material. I like your black color.
What silicon sealing strip are you using? Believe it or not — I'm using a wide shoelace :).
I certainly left some room for creativity around this case but... man... shoelaces??? S. Jobs is turning in his grave :)
However, kudos for creativity :)

Shazaam!

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2009
Proctor VT USA
Soft silicone tubing having an OD slightly larger than the case groove is my new idea.

Also my friend, I think that this is the way to hook up a Mac mini empty casing to the Studio as a filter casing without interfering with the Bluetooth and WiFi signals.

blankets

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
Nice
Just curious if there is a temperature difference between the 3d printed filter and the Spiegen stand?
I don't have reams of data but my graph for cpu average temperature seems to lean toward the 3D case running ~1°C cooler for longer than the Spiegen (with the additional foam filter), it's minimal and will probably average out.

Reactions: dimme

blankets

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2017
Soft silicone tubing having an OD slightly larger than the case groove is my new idea.

Also my friend, I think that this is the way to hook up a Mac mini empty casing to the Studio as a filter casing without interfering with the Bluetooth and WiFi signals.

I've confirmed my measurement, a 3mm thick x 12mm wide Neoprene Rubber Strip fits perfectly and creates a good seal and friction so the Mac Studio grips the case.

Reactions: Gjuroo and Shazaam!

sunny5

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2021
Probably need to sue Apple for the right to repair especially since iPhone is getting a simple design for better repairability. Macs seriously require dust cleaning regularly just like other computers and yet none of them are dust cleaning friendly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.