Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Well, according to the leaked firmware it looks like the naming is going to be:

iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone X

Reactions: 44267547

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
I believe thats what they will be called, I just think its a **** naming scheme. Either they are going to move to a completely different naming convention next year or they are making a desperate attempt to convince people that the 7S isn't just the 4th time we have had an iPhone based on the 6.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I believe thats what they will be called, I just think its a **** naming scheme. Either they are going to move to a completely different naming convention next year or they are making a desperate attempt to convince people that the 7S isn't just the 4th time we have had an iPhone based on the 6.

Really makes me curious what we’re going to see next year. 8s? No more S? No more numbers? Really hard to predict with this naming line up.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

every iphone has been based on the iphone before it... some just looked like a bigger jump, because they had a big change in size and/or thickness. but it has always been an evolution instead of a revolution. but especially the front has never really changed until the iphone X. the iphone 8 design change with the glass back seems in line with the other design changes and probably should have been the iphone 7 (which was the smallest design change for a new number).

k3A0xMW.jpg

Reactions: profets

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
every iphone has been based on the iphone before it... some just looked like a bigger jump, because they had a big change in size and/or thickness. but it has always been an evolution instead of a revolution. but especially the front has never really changed until the iphone X. the iphone 8 design change with the glass back seems in line with the other design changes and probably should have been the iphone 7 (which was the smallest design change for a new number).

k3A0xMW.jpg

A change in the screen is a fundimental change. Every 2 years prior to the 7 we saw a new and better screen. The screen of a smartphone is one of the most important aspects of the device. That has always ushered in a new full generation of iPhone. Each number change is a change to the design and the S iteration is simply internals. As it stands we have had a 6, 6S, 6SS and now we are getting the 6SSS alongside the X.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
A change in the screen is a fundimental change. Every 2 years prior to the 7 we saw a new and better screen. The screen of a smartphone is one of the most important aspects of the device. That has always ushered in a new full generation of iPhone. Each number change is a change to the design and the S iteration is simply internals. As it stands we have had a 6, 6S, 6SS and now we are getting the 6SSS alongside the X.

Actually the 7 got a new screen as well. More colors and brighter. Displaymate called it the best LCD Screen on a smartphone. (But not as good as Samsung OLED)

The 7 is underrated.

Reactions: profets

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017

k3A0xMW.jpg

5 favorites -

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Actually the 7 got a new screen as well. More colors and brighter. Displaymate called it the best LCD Screen on a smartphone. (But not as good as Samsung OLED)

The 7 is underrated.

How many flagship phones have an LCD screen these days? Google Pixel? Any top samsung from the last god knows how many years? I'm not saying its not a good phone or screen but its behind the competition. Like releasing a phone with massive bezels for more than samsung is selling the S8 for. You can get an S8 for about £500 compared to what will be £600 for the small iPhone 7 or 7S. Its hard to make a case that Apple are not taking the pee.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
How many flagship phones have an LCD screen these days? Google Pixel? Any top samsung from the last god knows how many years? I'm not saying its not a good phone or screen but its behind the competition. Like releasing a phone with massive bezels for more than samsung is selling the S8 for. You can get an S8 for about £500 compared to what will be £600 for the small iPhone 7 or 7S. Its hard to make a case that Apple are not taking the pee.

i agree with all of that. but it doesn't change the fact, that the iphone 7 got a new and improved screen ;)

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
IMG_3554.JPG
iphone 8 not release yet but people already ready to paint it real gold
:)_________________________________________________:)

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
Looks like all those "leakers" out there were misinformed. Amazing. It certainly looks for sure to be now:

8+
X

For the naming. Almost every single leak stated the new iPhone would be called Edition. X is a better name anyway.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
It's going to be:

iPhone 8
iPhone 8 plus
iPhone X

"X" is the roman numeral for the number 10 aka "10th anniversary iPhone"

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
So apple end S call ....

maybe apple dont like S call cause S stand for samsung :)

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Poor those who bought the iPhone 7, even Apple knew it was only a iPhone 6SS when it was released, hence no iPhone 7S

You could say the same thing any year about any phone. There’s a lot more to a phone than how it looks on the outside.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
You could say the same thing any year about any phone. There’s a lot more to a phone than how it looks on the outside.
Not true, when you think about it, iPhone 7 didn't really have new stuff compared to the iPhone 6S.

When you compare the "changes" from the iPhone 6 vs 5S

Or the iPhone 5 vs 4S

Or the iPhone 4 vs 3GS

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Not true, when you think about it, iPhone 7 didn't really have new stuff compared to the iPhone 6S.

When you compare the "changes" from the iPhone 6 vs 5S

Or the iPhone 5 vs 4S

Or the iPhone 4 vs 3GS

That’s what I’m saying though. Every year there’s nice improvements irregardless of an exterior design change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.