Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
We've all heard about how they've struggled to get enough of the OLED panels for the 5.8" iPhone. So how were they supposed to release a bigger version at the same time? Supply would be even worse and people would complain even more.

I've been a loyal Apple customer and had the 6, 6S and recently sold the 7. But I am not tolerating the things they are (supposedly) going to do. How is our problem they struggled to get enough OLEDs? Rumors say they were making massive OLED orders since April 2016. It's their problem. Samsung didn't release Galaxy S7, S7 Edge and S8 with infinity display only and price at $999 base. This is just greed.

Also how come is everyone else happy about FaceID? I am a programmer myself and I certainly don't need to see how will they pull it off, cuz I know most of the ways that it can be done and in the end it's not practical. Nice to have - yes, but not practical.
Remember last year? They removed the headphone jack, physical home button and "swipe to unlock", and called it "press home to unlock". This year what ? Removing the home button entirely (which was one of iPhones iconic things) and "press home to unlock" will be changed AGAIN to "do whatever to unlock". Well, it's stupid at least based from the rumors. Anyway I can try and live with it, but releasing 3 MODELS is the most greedy and stupid thing they could do.
That will be 4 years in a row with the same design. Also, if they are going to entirely in future release the OLED versions of this year's "special edition" phone, what's the point of keeping people used to the home button and touchid? Robbery and greed. They simply have too many parts they wanna get rid off by selling it to dumb people. That's how I see it, and people should not get offended by my post.

Think about this.
iPhone 6 and 6+ - new design and bigger displays along with some internal improvements which come every year anyway like the cpu, gpu, camera and touchId v2.0
iPhone 6S - "the only thing that's changed is everything" - same design, internal changes only and the new color to make people think it's different.
iPhone 7 - antennas design a bit changed, but overall the same phone (that's why they even put the back of the phone as a picture on the box, cuz otherwise people would still see it as the same damn phone)

So...they can't simply pull off the same trick they did with the 6S to justify the same phone for 4th year in a row. People would be upset and angry. Many people on the forums somehow defend Apple by saying: "hey the 7S is going to be the cheaper model if you can't afford the new one"
Really? Would you be happy and satisfied if back in 2014 when they released the iPhone 6, instead of what they released to us (the 6 and 6+) to be models like these: iPhone 6 (same phone as the SE but with camera and cpu as the iPhone 6), and iPhone Pro (the iPhone 6). And to put prices of the so called 6 $649, and on the Pro $999. And next year (2015) to release the iPhone 6S and 6S+ ?
I hope you get what I am saying. Peace.
[doublepost=1504480949][/doublepost]
You had to return the iPhone 6 six times?

Yeah. It was full of defects. The vibrator motor was totally making weird noises as if it wasn't assembled correctly. The bottom speaker was distorted 3 times in a row, when I put the sound of the ringtone to full volume you could hear it distorting and i even remember some Apple fanboys just told me: "well why would you want to go full volume sound anyways, just stick it to 80% if it works well". Look at those people. Cuz I am paying for a device not only $649, but a lot more where I live, so I expect the newest and supposedly greatest phone to be able to play full volume tracks without problems lol. Another problem it had was clicky bottom right part (near the home button) when you press it it was clicking like a button.

With the iPhone 6S, I had the camera displacement on the front side, battery was defective and was dying at 30% out of nowhere and I had to do force-restart in order to get the phone back working.

With the iPhone 7 I only returned it twice and it had problems with yellow screen on the bottom and the OIS module was trembling and refocusing everytime which made my videos look like jitter, and even the iPhone 6S was making better videos WITHOUT OIS. So...that's basically it.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I've been a loyal Apple customer and had the 6, 6S and recently sold the 7. But I am not tolerating the things they are (supposedly) going to do. How is our problem they struggled to get enough OLEDs? Rumors say they were making massive OLED orders since April 2016. It's their problem. Samsung didn't release Galaxy S7, S7 Edge and S8 with infinity display only and price at $999 base. This is just greed.

Also how come is everyone else happy about FaceID? I am a programmer myself and I certainly don't need to see how will they pull it off, cuz I know most of the ways that it can be done and in the end it's not practical. Nice to have - yes, but not practical.
Remember last year? They removed the headphone jack, physical home button and "swipe to unlock", and called it "press home to unlock". This year what ? Removing the home button entirely (which was one of iPhones iconic things) and "press home to unlock" will be changed AGAIN to "do whatever to unlock". Well, it's stupid at least based from the rumors. Anyway I can try and live with it, but releasing 3 MODELS is the most greedy and stupid thing they could do.
That will be 4 years in a row with the same design. Also, if they are going to entirely in future release the OLED versions of this year's "special edition" phone, what's the point of keeping people used to the home button and touchid? Robbery and greed. They simply have too many parts they wanna get rid off by selling it to dumb people. That's how I see it, and people should not get offended by my post.

Think about this.
iPhone 6 and 6+ - new design and bigger displays along with some internal improvements which come every year anyway like the cpu, gpu, camera and touchId v2.0
iPhone 6S - "the only thing that's changed is everything" - same design, internal changes only and the new color to make people think it's different.
iPhone 7 - antennas design a bit changed, but overall the same phone (that's why they even put the back of the phone as a picture on the box, cuz otherwise people would still see it as the same damn phone)

So...they can't simply pull off the same trick they did with the 6S to justify the same phone for 4th year in a row. People would be upset and angry. Many people on the forums somehow defend Apple by saying: "hey the 7S is going to be the cheaper model if you can't afford the new one"
Really? Would you be happy and satisfied if back in 2014 when they released the iPhone 6, instead of what they released to us (the 6 and 6+) to be models like these: iPhone 6 (same phone as the SE but with camera and cpu as the iPhone 6), and iPhone Pro (the iPhone 6). And to put prices of the so called 6 $649, and on the Pro $999. And next year (2015) to release the iPhone 6S and 6S+ ?
I hope you get what I am saying. Peace.
[doublepost=1504480949][/doublepost]

Yeah. It was full of defects. The vibrator motor was totally making weird noises as if it wasn't assembled correctly. The bottom speaker was distorted 3 times in a row, when I put the sound of the ringtone to full volume you could hear it distorting and i even remember some Apple fanboys just told me: "well why would you want to go full volume sound anyways, just stick it to 80% if it works well". Look at those people. Cuz I am paying for a device not only $649, but a lot more where I live, so I expect the newest and supposedly greatest phone to be able to play full volume tracks without problems lol. Another problem it had was clicky bottom right part (near the home button) when you press it it was clicking like a button.

With the iPhone 6S, I had the camera displacement on the front side, battery was defective and was dying at 30% out of nowhere and I had to do force-restart in order to get the phone back working.

With the iPhone 7 I only returned it twice and it had problems with yellow screen on the bottom and the OIS module was trembling and refocusing everytime which made my videos look like jitter, and even the iPhone 6S was making better videos WITHOUT OIS. So...that's basically it.

That seems like improbably bad fortune on your part, as most people never have to return a device once.

Frankly, I don't know why you keep buying Apple products if you get so many lemons.

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
That seems like improbably bad fortune on your part, as most people never have to return a device once.

Frankly, I don't know why you keep buying Apple products if you get so many lemons.

Na it wasn't bad fortune. If you look around the net it was common problems with those models. Even my friends had it but they never noticed. I do notice those things however. The only Apple product I buy is the iPhone because it's the best on the market.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Na it wasn't bad fortune. If you look around the net it was common problems with those models. Even my friends had it but they never noticed. I do notice those things however. The only Apple product I buy is the iPhone because it's the best on the market.

Best on the market that you had to return 6 times? And what you see on the net in terms of complaints are never representative of most units. There are tens of millions of each new iPhone sold within days of launch and very few people go online just to say that nothing is wrong, so it makes it seem like everyone online, and by extension everyone, has problems, when in fact less than 1% of people actually notice a problem severe enough to warrant a return. You may have a touch of tech hypochondria, my friend. No matter how much you pay, nothing made by mere mortals will be truly perfect, and some people are super sensitive to imperfections.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I can't wait to see the psychology with the naming with iPhone 8 instead of iPhone 7S. A lot of people could be suckered into buying the 4th generation of the same design.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I don't see how. They'll see the phone before they plunk down their dollars.

There are people probably go into a lineup saying "oh I cannot wait for the iPhone 8." Sometimes they interview people and they cannot say what's different between the previous generation and the upcoming generation. Also, with the price difference, people might buy a 4th generation body design because it's a "new iPhone" even though it's a recycled design with a few new parts included. The 7/7+ is a much better deal than the iPhone 7S/7S+ will be imo.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
What I hope they do is only release the iPhone “Edition” model. That’s it. Call it “iPhone” and available in black and 2 storage tiers: 128GB and 256GB. Be as ballsy as removing the headphone jack. The 7s and 7s+ glass-backed dummy models were only to catch leakers and throw off the public.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
10 yrs anni
SJ theater
remodel

it will be nice if apple bring back original iphone color on event

iPhone-2G-iPhone-8.jpg

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

ssrij

Suspended
Dec 16, 2016
United Kingdom
In order of likeliness:

- iPhone 8, iPhone 8+ and iPhone X/Edition
- iPhone, iPhone Plus, iPhone Pro
- iPhone 7S, iPhone 7S+ and iPhone X/Edition

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
From various sources and trusted video folks out there, it will be for sure:

iPhone 8, iPhone 8+ and iPhone Edition

Apple really should have went with iPhone X. Sounds much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: ssrij

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
LOL...but yours is fact right? Everything Apple Pro and Pocket Now both stated these are the names. I think I'll go with them as to who is right. They received this information straight from vendors working with Apple.
Everything apple pro isn’t an inside source lol. He just reports articles posted online.

I mean the images I posted come from Target’s internal system, but believe what you want o_O

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I mean, "vendors working with Apple" and "Target's internal systems" are both not Apple, so... lol.

TheIgster

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
Everything apple pro isn’t an inside source lol. He just reports articles posted online.

I mean the images I posted come from Target’s internal system, but believe what you want o_O

Images you posted don't mean anything either. Just place holders I'm betting. Everything Apple Pro as well as Pocket Now have both been right about a ton of things. I'll go with them, thanks.
[doublepost=1504586111][/doublepost]
I mean, "vendors working with Apple" and "Target's internal systems" are both not Apple, so... lol.

True....so let's remember this thread come reveal day and see who's right.

Reactions: jsmith189

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
True....so let's remember this thread come reveal day and see who's right.

Hahaha, love that it's a competition. :p iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone Edition makes more sense to me so I'd be more likely to believe that. I don't know why they'd release two different phone numbers on the same day, especially since that's basically saying "this is the old new, this is the new new". The new release, and then a special edition, seems more likely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.