Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
They will never call it the iphone pro. Nothing about it is pro. The iPad pro has a better screen, faster processor etc. The Macbook pro has a faster processor etc. The iPhone 8 only has a better/different screen and a different auth method and perhaps a slightly better camera. Pro has been used to denote a device that is for pro users. More powerful and features for professionals. The 8 will have none of those.

I reckon it will be a new name that doesn't bear any relation to the current names of other apple products and won't mess with or lock apple into any naming convention for next year. They will probably return to iPhone 8/+ next year where both will be based on the new notch design so making the name generic would be sensible.

Lol, the iPad Pro has a better screen, faster processor, the MacBook Pro has a faster processor. The OLED iPhone will have a better screen, faster processor, seamless facial authentication, better camera, etc. But can't be called Pro.

Listen, I get it. None of us know what it will be called. But really can't rule out anything. Except for iPhone Banana. Or maybe not. iPhone Banana has a nice ring to it.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
Lol, the iPad Pro has a better screen, faster processor, the MacBook Pro has a faster processor. The OLED iPhone will have a better screen, faster processor, seamless facial authentication, better camera, etc. But can't be called Pro.

Nothing suggests that it will have a faster processor and doing that would make the standard models and even poorer relation. The faster processor in an iPad or Macbook is for processor intensive work. What is there on an iPhone that would benefit from a very slightly faster processor. Phones are not the same as top end tablets and laptops. They are not a "professional" device. You don't work on your phone in the same way that you do your laptop or ipad. Your iPhone might in an invaluable work tool but that will be due to its huge number of apps and use cases. You are never going to be professionally editing photo or video on it, programming or pretty much any other work.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Nothing suggests that it will have a faster processor and doing that would make the standard models and even poorer relation. The faster processor in an iPad or Macbook is for processor intensive work. What is there on an iPhone that would benefit from a very slightly faster processor. Phones are not the same as top end tablets and laptops. They are not a "professional" device. You don't work on your phone in the same way that you do your laptop or ipad. Your iPhone might in an invaluable work tool but that will be due to its huge number of apps and use cases. You are never going to be professionally editing photo or video on it, programming or pretty much any other work.

Are you suggesting that iPad Pros and MacBook Pros can only be used for "professional" use?

I'm not saying Apple should name the OLED iPhone as iPhone Pro. But I wouldn't be surprised by it. At this point Pro is just a marketing name to mean better.

And honestly, an iPhone can be a very invaluable tool for professional use. And don't be surprised if the A11 in the OLED iPhone is clocked higher to handle the higher resolution display.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Maybe iPhone Pro Anniversary Edition. That should cover all bases...

Not really sure why anyone cares about the name. Or is worried about next years name. Bring it on!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
They better not call it iPhone Pro.

I’m hoping that they do call it that. Whether you like it or not, believe in the use of the term, or what have you, the naming convention helps to simplify Apple’s product lineup greatly.

Having every “i” product and Mac with a “pro” counterpart opposite to a cheaper, more consumer friendly version keeps things really simple and easy to remember for the masses. Getting rid of the numbers helps a huge deal as well.
[doublepost=1504045688][/doublepost]

Listen, I get it. None of us know what it will be called. But really can't rule out anything. Except for iPhone Banana. Or maybe not. iPhone Banana has a nice ring to it.

Everything you just laid out about the new iPhone says “Pro” to me and I think that’s exactly what they’ll call it. Makes their product lineups super easy to identify.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I still think there will be three new models this year all part of the same family.

iPhone X, iPhone X Plus and iPhone X(PRO or Edition or whatever), if they did iPhone 7S and iPhone 8, people might think the 7S is older. For instance remember the 6S is a year older then the 7. I think we are done with the "S" naming convention.

All models will be glass front and back with colored stainless steel band, only difference is screen size/features.They will all come in Black, Silver and Blush Gold.

iPhone X (4.7" LCD, A11 CHIP, Touch ID, Upgraded Camera)
iPhone X Plus (5.5" LCD, A11 CHIP, Touch ID, Upgraded Dual Camera)
iPhone X Pro (5.8" OLED, A11 CHIP, 3GB RAM, Facial Recognition, Upgraded Camera, 3D Camera etc)

Next Year if rumors are correct, they will get rid of both home button models and just have one iPhone Pro(2 Sizes) and bring on an updated SE model that looks like the iPhone 4.7". In the future you may have iPhone (4.7" with Home Button) and two sizes of the iPhone Pro (5.8" and 6.3") similar to the iPad (9.7") and iPad Pro (10.5", 12.9")

Thats my theory anyway - I think the numbering convention is over now.

Reactions: profets

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I think the more reasonable option is:

iPhone 8, 8 Plus and iPhone Edition.

iPhone Edition will obviously be a cut above the other 2; as if it's a "special release" much like the Gold Apple Watch Edition was, before being replaced the following year by ceramic.

I think they'll start the trend of iPhone, iPhone plus and iPhone edition models whereby they can release a more premium version alongside the other 2 for the next few years, with higher grade materials like stainless steel, ceramic, or maybe titanium like the essential phone.

The fudge

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
fullsizerender%2020-999.jpg

iPhone 7s
iPhone 7s Plus
iPhone X Edition

Is this legit?

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
fullsizerender%2020-999.jpg

iPhone 7s
iPhone 7s Plus
iPhone X Edition

Is this legit?

Could well be true, and it’s nice that the X Edition starts at 128GB!!! I hope it’s true - I like the name X Edition. People will have to decide whether to call it XE or X! :D

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Could well be true, and it’s nice that the X Edition starts at 128GB!!! I hope it’s true - I like the name X Edition. People will have to decide whether to call it XE or X! :D

Ah, I totally missed that 128GB. Knowing Apple, it’ll probably be 64, 256, 512. Now I think it’s definitely fake, lol.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Ah, I totally missed that 128GB. Knowing Apple, it’ll probably be 64, 256, 512. Now I think it’s definitely fake, lol.

Could be the line up:

7s 32GB - $649
7s 128GB - $749
7s 256GB - $849

7s Plus 32GB - $769
7s Plus 128GB - $869
7s Plus 256GB - $969

X Edition 128GB - $999
X Edition 256GB - $1199

Price points seem quite Apple. Next year we get iPhone X2 (same as this year’s but with upgraded internals) and iPhone X2 Plus (larger Plus-sized OLED model).

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Could be the line up:

7s 32GB - $649
7s 128GB - $749
7s 256GB - $849

7s Plus 32GB - $769
7s Plus 128GB - $869
7s Plus 256GB - $969

X Edition 128GB - $999
X Edition 256GB - $1199

Price points seem quite Apple. Next year we get iPhone X2 (same as this year’s but with upgraded internals) and iPhone X2 Plus (larger Plus-sized OLED model).

Makes sense. Seems like a big jump though for 128 to 256 in the XE though.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
Next year will be iPhone XI and XI Plus

This way they're back ahead of samsung numbering and on the right track in years.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I'm one of the few people who think there won't be a 7S or 7S+. I think there's only going to be the 8. Guesses as to what it will be called are simply "iPhone", "iPhone X", or "iPhone 8", with "iPhone" being my top guess.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
No iPhone 8, they will absolutely not call it iPhone 8. It’s a special phone outside the regular line, way more expensive and somewhat limited. So the S line will be front and center this year and next year will be the 8.

This super special iPhone will be called 10th anniversary iPhone, they may not actually name it that, they may name it IPhone X, but the 10th anniversary will be mentioned on stage.

Reactions: Appleaker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.