Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
If they simplify it then they will do what they did with the iPad which is the iPhone and the iPhone Pro. I wish that there was a better naming convention to communicate cheap model versus expensive model outside of the word "pro". There isn't anything pro about me buying the iPhone "Pro". lol

Maybe they could call it the "hella expensive leet" iPhone hahaha

They WILL call it that – but Apple's word for it is "Edition"

Reactions: Vanilla35

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
Edition huh? The terminology they use for the Watch which only differs in case material? Me think not.
Maybe not. But it's better than Pro, IMO. And it's better than just 8. We'll see, I guess. So far their only premium-oriented labels are Pro, Edition, and Plus.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Maybe not. But it's better than Pro, IMO. And it's better than just 8. We'll see, I guess. So far their only premium-oriented labels are Pro, Edition, and Plus.
I agree it's far better than Pro, but I don't think it will be either. It will have a new marketing terminology

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Ask yourself this question: Why would anyone buy an iPhone 7S which will be THE SAME device as the 6, 6S and the 7 ? Do you think wireless charging justifies that? Or the expected A11 chip inside of it? Or an increased camera aperture to 1.7f if you will.... I don't think so.

So what I personally believe in, is that we're still going to see two devices - one smaller, and the other one slightly bigger. It could be possible that the bigger one would get certain stuff, the same way as the 7+ got the dualcamera, which I am against, but nevertheless that's what I am going to expect till the curtain unveils..

People who don't want to spend the rumoured high price of the OLED model would but one. Let's face it, the 7 wasn't s massive upgrade but people still bought it.

And you think they'll be 2 sizes of the OLED model? Where have any leaks / rumours suggested that?

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Apple ain't gonna bring out a supposedly enhanced version of the Plus and drop the price vs the outgoing model.

Having touch ID wouldn't give a 7S Plus a selling point over an iPhone 8. Touch ID is only being done away with because Apple have found a better technology to supplant it. That's like having a choice between two houses and going for the one that has standard broadband instead of the one that has fibre optic broadband.
[doublepost=1502656600][/doublepost]
Not substantially. The major redesigns have been the iPhone 4, iPhone 5 and iPhone 6. The 3G and all of the S models to date have retained the dimensions, screen sizes and visual appearance of their predecessors.

I would argue that it's more like going from hydraulic to electric in cars. For those not familiar with cars, basically most cars lost "road feel" when switching to electric steering, which is a major reason for why driving a car feels so numb and boring as of the last few years.

I am all about going from one solution to another, but the Face ID to me seems like it will be worse in at least 5-10% of scenarios. Considering right now I have just about zero issues with Touch ID, I'm not keen on realizing potentially issues with sunglasses, unlocking phone at odd angles, and others.
[doublepost=1503752187][/doublepost]
iPhone Eclipse
[doublepost=1503528352][/doublepost]
You're wrong.

Here's the thing: there is very little to do with the iPhone going forward. That's the mistake people are making thinking there will be 'iPhone Pro' and therefore a non-Pro version with lesser features.

See, this year, 2017, Apple is putting technologies in the phone that will not be advanced for years. An L-shaped battery, multi-layer logic board, the sensor arrays, and on and on. These are not going to be replaced by magical new tech anytime soon. There will be nothing to differentiate Pro and non-Pro iPhones.

There will never be an 'iPhone Pro'. My god it is the absolute worst marketing name for this iPhone. Think about it for a moment, really seriously think about it. This device gets massive upgrades to virtually every aspect of it and it's just called 'iPhone Pro'? That is abysmal marketing. The point of marketing is to draw attention to a device. When people read 'iPhone Pro' they'll skip right over even looking at what it offers. The Pro name is known to people. They know it means more powerful and for professional users having features they don't need or care about. See this is why Apple will give it a new marketing term after 'iPhone'. This name gets people to look at what is different about it.

You are able to deny every claim people make for the OLED iPhone's name, yet you conveniently leave out your own definitive personal choice for the most likely name.

Yes there are issues behind it being named iPhone Pro, Edition, and X, and while you describe what an alternative could be, you do not actually provide one.

My only point being that while some are more likely versus less likely, all of this is speculation, and are up for interpretation.

I personally think introducing a new moniker for the OLED iPhone's name would be out of the question. Although they can call it iPhone "Notch".

Last edited:
Reactions: profets

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I still think iPhone Pro is most likely. There are two scenarios to think about, both involve future based lineups.

What would the iPhone line up look like in 2018 when they have two full screen OLED devices, at 5.8" and 6.5" respectively. Do they discontinue the 7 design? If so, what do they name them? The iPhone 9 and 9+, and just act like the 2017 OLED extra high cost iPhone didn't happen? Then the following year you'll have another 5.8" OLED update but it happens to be cheaper than the 2017 OLED, because that was a one-off, and now it's the new base $650 iPhone?

If they go the other way, and replace the Plus model with Pro, then they can continue the differentiation as they have, with the 5.8" model being the normal iPhone ($650), and the larger one being the Pro, with additional features. This allows for the numbers to be dropped as well, if wanted.
[doublepost=1503753541][/doublepost]I thought a few months ago that Edition might have been a likely choice as well, but after seeing the 7S redesign (glass, same polished steel sides) compared to the OLED model, they are practically the same, and so I highly doubt it will be called Edition now, since it's basically the same build.

Last edited:
Reactions: profets

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I still think iPhone Pro is most likely. There are two scenarios to think about, both involve future based lineups.

What would the iPhone line up look like in 2018 when they have two full screen OLED devices, at 5.8" and 6.5" respectively. Do they discontinue the 7 design? If so, what do they name them? The iPhone 9 and 9+, and just act like the 2017 OLED extra high cost iPhone didn't happen? Then the following year you'll have another 5.8" OLED update but it happens to be cheaper than the 2017 OLED, because that was a one-off, and now it's the new base $650 iPhone?

If they go the other way, and replace the Plus model with Pro, then they can continue the differentiation as they have, with the 5.8" model being the normal iPhone ($650), and the larger one being the Pro, with additional features. This allows for the numbers to be dropped as well, if wanted.
[doublepost=1503753541][/doublepost]I thought a few months ago that Edition might have been a likely choice as well, but after seeing the 7S redesign (glass, same polished steel sides) compared to the OLED model, they are practically the same, and so I highly doubt it will be called Edition now, since it's basically the same build.
All you need to know to know that Pro won't happen is exactly that, look to next year.

iPhone Pro

iPhone Pro Plus (hahaha)

Worst most comical marketing in history.

Oh and of course people just then say 'oh well then they would just drop the Plus, harrr harrr.' Except they fail to reason as to why Apple called one Plus to begin with. According to their thinking there would never have been a reason to ever have had a Plus. According to their reasoning you would've just had 'iPhone 6' and customers would have just kinda gotten that they were two sizes.

Oh that's right, it's all MARKETING. Apple is intelligent enough to know that you must differentiate the iPhones so people know what they are getting and why they are different. Especially people just coming to iPhone from Samsung or the like.

Therefore, you could not reduce it to 'iPhone Pro'.
[doublepost=1503754973][/doublepost]
I would argue that it's more like going from hydraulic to electric in cars. For those not familiar with cars, basically most cars lost "road feel" when switching to electric steering, which is a major reason for why driving a car feels so numb and boring as of the last few years.

I am all about going from one solution to another, but the Face ID to me seems like it will be worse in at least 5-10% of scenarios. Considering right now I have just about zero issues with Touch ID, I'm not keen on realizing potentially issues with sunglasses, unlocking phone at odd angles, and others.
[doublepost=1503752187][/doublepost]

You are able to deny every claim people make for the OLED iPhone's name, yet you conveniently leave out your own definitive personal choice for the most likely name.

Yes there are issues behind it being named iPhone Pro, Edition, and X, and while you describe what an alternative could be, you do not actually provide one.

My only point being that while some are more likely versus less likely, all of this is speculation, and are up for interpretation.

I personally think introducing a new moniker for the OLED iPhone's name would be out of the question. Although they can call it iPhone "Notch".
It's not my job to come up with the name, it's my job to point out the flaws in the logic of others.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
All you need to know to know that Pro won't happen is exactly that, look to next year.

iPhone Pro

iPhone Pro Plus (hahaha)

Worst most comical marketing in history.

Oh and of course people just then say 'oh well then they would just drop the Plus, harrr harrr.' Except they fail to reason as to why Apple called one Plus to begin with. According to their thinking there would never have been a reason to ever have had a Plus. According to their reasoning you would've just had 'iPhone 6' and customers would have just kinda gotten that they were two sizes.

Oh that's right, it's all MARKETING. Apple is intelligent enough to know that you must differentiate the iPhones so people know what they are getting and why they are different. Especially people just coming to iPhone from Samsung or the like.

Therefore, you could not reduce it to 'iPhone Pro'.

You're misinterpreting what I said. It would be iPhone (5.8"), and iPhone Pro (6.5"). The same exact line up they have now, but the word "Plus" is replaced with "Pro". It works for several reasons, one being that the customer's who already spend more for the "Plus" would easily translate into spending even a bit more for the larger "Pro" model. Those who are price conscious to some degree will continue to stick with the base 5.8" model.

Of course budget customer's being the SE, and the 2nd generation to that.
[doublepost=1503755328][/doublepost]To your point, yes, they did change the names for a reason. If it was just two sizes, and marketing was the only reason for the name, then why would have they incorporated more features into the plus? You stated before it's due to there being more space. When has any company put additional value-add features into a product that is supposed to be exactly the same just with a difference of preference? I think they did it deliberately, likely prepping for the changeover to Pro a few years later.

Not to mention, the Plus model was testing the waters to see how price elastic iPhone customers are. The next step for a corporation to increase profits is to take it further, which they clearly have been doing and will be doing for the iPad Pro, iMac Pro, and now likely iPhone as well. Think about it, this is Tim Cook we're talking about.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
You're misinterpreting what I said. It would be iPhone (5.8"), and iPhone Pro (6.5"). The same exact line up they have now, but the word "Plus" is replaced with "Pro". It works for several reasons, one being that the customer's who already spend more for the "Plus" would easily translate into spending even a bit more for the larger "Pro" model. Those who are price conscious to some degree will continue to stick with the base 5.8" model.

Of course budget customer's being the SE, and the 2nd generation to that.
[doublepost=1503755328][/doublepost]To your point, yes, they did change the names for a reason. If it was just two sizes, and marketing was the only reason for the name, then why would have they incorporated more features into the plus? You stated before it's due to there being more space. When has any company put additional value-add features into a product that is supposed to be exactly the same just with a difference of preference? I think they did it deliberately, likely prepping for the changeover to Pro a few years later.
The funny thing is that is actually even worse. You're now marketing that a phone is superior to the smaller phone which is identical except for the reasons that the Plus has been different. Which are certainly not reasons which one is Pro over the other.

And not only that but you are suggesting which is flat out hilarious, that Apple would actually walk onto stage and call this 5.8" iPhone 'iPhone Pro and then turn around in 2018 and drop 'Pro' from this and add it to the Plus-sized OLED.

My god.

I mean my god.

0% chance that happens and it would just be hilarious how confused customers would be then. Ohh wait I have the iPhone Pro right now...and uhh now I get the just 'iphone'? And the iPhone Pro is 6.3"? Uhh wait, what the hell is going on?

How do you feel about that now? :)

Reactions: Moccasin

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
United Kingdom

[doublepost=1503752187][/doublepost

I hear you, but it doesn't change my original point. "It's still got the old feature that's been supplanted by something else!" Isn't, from Apple's point of view, a marketing selling point for an 'iPhone 7s Plus'. If anything, it'd be an annoying truth.

I haven't really been on the forums over the past three weeks as I've been on holiday, but after a quick catch up nothing seems to have changed - two weeks away from launch and virtually no compelling leaks about the purported iPhone 7s / 7s Plus.

Ready to be wrong, but I'll stick with what I've suspected all along - no 7s / 7s Plus, just a new iPhone 8 with the existing 7 remaining on sale at current price level.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
The funny thing is that is actually even worse. You're now marketing that a phone is superior to the smaller phone which is identical except for the reasons that the Plus has been different. Which are certainly not reasons which one is Pro over the other.

And not only that but you are suggesting which is flat out hilarious, that Apple would actually walk onto stage and call this 5.8" iPhone 'iPhone Pro and then turn around in 2018 and drop 'Pro' from this and add it to the Plus-sized OLED.

My god.

I mean my god.

0% chance that happens and it would just be hilarious how confused customers would be then. Ohh wait I have the iPhone Pro right now...and uhh now I get the just 'iphone'? And the iPhone Pro is 6.3"? Uhh wait, what the hell is going on?

That's actually exactly the reason why it could be easily comprehensible. They would simply be calling it what it actually is, the more feature packed version; the Pro.

Either way, yes what you mentioned create a predicament. Whether they do the one-off name (edition, new moniker, etc) they run into an issue naming phones this year, if they do it the other way, they run into an issue naming phones the following year. This is assuming they don't drop the numbers.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
That's actually exactly the reason why it could be easily comprehensible. They would simply be calling it what it actually is, the more feature packed version; the Pro.

Either way, yes what you mentioned create a predicament. Whether they do the one-off name (edition, new moniker, etc) they run into an issue naming phones this year, if they do it the other way, they run into an issue naming phones the following year. This is assuming they don't drop the numbers.
Except Pro only means the more feature packed version to the people who refuse to or cannot understand Pro marketing.

See the regular MacBook is more feature-packed to me. Why? Because I don't need the worthless extra power that it has, or the negligible extra battery life. I like the features that matter to me like a far thinner and far lighter device. That makes the regular MacBook SUPERIOR to the MacBook Pro. To me. By to me, I me to me and 98% of computer users. While the Pro features make the MacBook Pro superior to the fraction of users who use laptops as professional computer devices.

Back to iPhone: again you suggest they just call the bigger one the Pro next year. Why do you think they didn't do that in 2014? Because it makes absolutely positively no sense whatsoever and it's abysmal marketing. While 'Plus' actually told people what was different, it told people that the device is a plus-sized device. Like you'd think of Plus-sized clothing. It's bigger. The display is bigger. That's marketing. If you call it Pro it's firstly saying that the 5.8" just blows in comparison which is idiotic to market to people. You WANT both of them to be interpreted as equals, yet different only due to the size of the device and therefore the display. You want them bought separately only because of personal preference to device size, not because one is marketed as being superior to the other.

Reactions: Moccasin

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Except Pro only means the more feature packed version to the people who refuse to or cannot understand Pro marketing.

See the regular MacBook is more feature-packed to me. Why? Because I don't need the worthless extra power that it has, or the negligible extra battery life. I like the features that matter to me like a far thinner and far lighter device. That makes the regular MacBook SUPERIOR to the MacBook Pro. To me. By to me, I me to me and 98% of computer users. While the Pro features make the MacBook Pro superior to the fraction of users who use laptops as professional computer devices.

Back to iPhone: again you suggest they just call the bigger one the Pro next year. Why do you think they didn't do that in 2014? Because it makes absolutely positively no sense whatsoever and it's abysmal marketing. While 'Plus' actually told people what was different, it told people that the device is a plus-sized device. Like you'd think of Plus-sized clothing. It's bigger. The display is bigger. That's marketing. If you call it Pro it's firstly saying that the 5.8" just blows in comparison which is idiotic to market to people. You WANT both of them to be interpreted as equals, yet different only due to the size of the device and therefore the display. You want them bought separately only because of personal preference to device size, not because one is marketed as being superior to the other.

Unless it was a stop gap measure leading to where they change their lineup to "good" and "better". Most companies would want to do exactly what you stated, make the products equal, but choice of preference (in this case, screen size), which I actually mentioned in a previous post. Apple hasn't typically done this though. Larger iMacs have been more powerful, and more expensive. Larger iPad's have had more features, and been more expensive. iPhone Plus has had a few more features, and more expensive.

Your personal preference for portability does not equate to features at all imo, but that's fine. Features are widely accepted (on a tech forum) as additional hardware and sometimes software additions to a product.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Unless it was a stop gap measure leading to where they change their lineup to "good" and "better". Most companies would want to do exactly what you stated, make the products equal, but choice of preference (in this case, screen size), which I actually mentioned in a previous post. Apple hasn't typically done this though. Larger iMacs have been more powerful, and more expensive. Larger iPad's have had more features, and been more expensive. iPhone Plus has had a few more features, and more expensive.

Your personal preference for portability does not equate to features at all imo, but that's fine. Features are widely accepted (on a tech forum) as additional hardware and sometimes software additions to a product.
Thinner and lighter are hardware features. There's no question or ambiguity there, it's just a fact.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Not in the absence of extra features that might otherwise be present, like faster processor, gpu, more ports, etc.
Haha. Yes, in their absence. Those are all features designed with Pro users in mind. Why do you think Apple made the MacBook? It's really not a hard thing to understand...

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
There will be only 2 models. iPhone 7S/7S+ or iPhone 8/8+. All the rumors are false.
[doublepost=1503777082][/doublepost]
People who don't want to spend the rumoured high price of the OLED model would but one. Let's face it, the 7 wasn't s massive upgrade but people still bought it.

And you think they'll be 2 sizes of the OLED model? Where have any leaks / rumours suggested that?

People are mistaken. There were lots of upgrades from 6 to 6S and from 6S to 7.

From 6S to 7 we received 7MP front camera, 1.8f aperture for the rear camera, water&dust resistance, QUAD-LED, 6 element lens on the rear camera, faster focus, improved local tone mapping and white balance, wide color gammut and 25% brighter display. A Home button based on the same way the macbook pro is, stereo speakers, the cpu upgrade, faster lte, ois for the 4.7" model, and dual-camera for the 5.5" model. And a bit of refreshed back-look on the phone with less visisble antennas. Also the jet black color.

So you call this not a "massive" upgrade ? Please...

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
There will be only 2 models. iPhone 7S/7S+ or iPhone 8/8+. All the rumors are false.
[doublepost=1503777082][/doublepost]

People are mistaken. There were lots of upgrades from 6 to 6S and from 6S to 7.

From 6S to 7 we received 7MP front camera, 1.8f aperture for the rear camera, water&dust resistance, QUAD-LED, 6 element lens on the rear camera, faster focus, improved local tone mapping and white balance, wide color gammut and 25% brighter display. A Home button based on the same way the macbook pro is, stereo speakers, the cpu upgrade, faster lte, ois for the 4.7" model, and dual-camera for the 5.5" model. And a bit of refreshed back-look on the phone with less visisble antennas. Also the jet black color.

So you call this not a "massive" upgrade ? Please...

No, I don't.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia

My god.

I mean my god.

I really can't read any more of what you type.

Everyone elses opinion's ridiculous, even when you misinterpret it. & your extreme, dismissive views aren't doing you any favours either.

You may be right, but no one's going to give a stuff because of the way you've conducted yourself.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
According to @altas_0

iPhones
  • 7S, 32GB/128GB/256GB, Starting at $649
  • 7S Plus, 32GB/128GB/256GB, Starting at $769
  • Edition, 64GB/256GB/512GB, Starting at $999

bb@macrum

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2017
My guess (this year):
  • iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone (with some marketing addition that emphasis the new edge to edge display)
Next year:
  • iPhone (2018)
  • iPhone Plus (2018)

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
I initially voted for the first option but now I've changed my mind to the second option but I don't think the highest end model will be called the "Pro", in my opinion I think it will go something like this:

• iPhone 8
  • iPhone 8 Plus
  • iPhone 8 Edition

The reason I see them all getting the "8" suffix is because there will be enough updates in all models for it to be classified as a major update as opposed to a minor one.

The reason I think the highest end model will be called the "Edition" is similar to how the Apple Watch has an "Edition" model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.