Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Yea I don't think it will ever happen with the Apple Watch or HomePod, but definitely iPhone and potentially Apple TV at some point. Apple wants to dip prices to get more people into their ecosystem and then sell more advanced "pro" features. They'll continue down the path that they have already started with iPad, iMac, and MacBook.
[doublepost=1503603226][/doublepost]

What happens next year after they go with iPhone X this year?
iPad, MacBook, iMac, and Mac Pro are designed for professional computer users. End of story. You can't do it with the iPhone, watch, Apple TV, or HomePod.

You will never see iphone Pro, and I cannot wait for early September when you realize.

Reactions: Moccasin

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Can't two people just disagree on this (rumour-based) forum & let it go….

I agree. Totally reasonable for two people to have their own opinions. I just like to play devils advocate with someone who swears up and down that their opinion is fact.
[doublepost=1503604389][/doublepost]
iPad, MacBook, iMac, and Mac Pro are designed for professional computer users. End of story. You can't do it with the iPhone, watch, Apple TV, or HomePod.

You will never see iphone Pro, and I cannot wait for early September when you realize.

There was a time that an iPad could never be imagined for professional use. Things have changed. To Apple, Pro doesn't necessarily mean for professional use, it just means more features/specs. You can do professional work on an iPad, MacBook, or iMac - you just get a little more power and extra features with the Pro version. Maybe the iPhone Pro gets ProMotion and quad speakers, maybe the normal iPhone doesn't. Maybe the Apple TV Pro gets a built in camera for video conferencing, maybe the normal Apple TV doesn't. These are all definitely possibilities considering it is exactly what Apple has been doing over the last few years. We can agree to disagree here, but this is my opinion, and you have yours. There are no facts being discussed here.

Reactions: profets

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Well if it has professional class mobile photography/videography, 3D sensing camera for AR and perhaps multitasking, it could elevate it above the others.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yea I don't think it will ever happen with the Apple Watch or HomePod, but definitely iPhone and potentially Apple TV at some point. Apple wants to dip prices to get more people into their ecosystem and then sell more advanced "pro" features. They'll continue down the path that they have already started with iPad, iMac, and MacBook.

Well they may make a larger version of the edge to edge iPhone 8, a 6.3" size perhaps, in that case it could evolve to just be the iPhone and iPhone Pro, I think they will fully drop the numbering in yours to come, like the iPad.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

iPhoneX MountainLion

Reactions: DNichter

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Well they may make a larger version of the edge to edge iPhone 8, a 6.3" size perhaps, in that case it could evolve to just be the iPhone and iPhone Pro, I think they will fully drop the numbering in yours to come, like the iPad.

Exactly. There were already rumors of 5.8 and 6.3 OLED screens ordered for 2018. No need for numbers. iPhone and iPhone Pro makes perfect sense. Higher resolution maybe, quad speakers, ProMotion, better camera on the Pro.

borntrouble

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Germany
I could not disagree more with your thoughts.
Apple would be insane to not use the number 8 in the name of the new iPhone.
Do you have any idea what that number stands for in Chinese numerology and what it means to Chinese people generally?
You may be laughing about it but believe me, this will have a HUGE impact regarding the hard-fought Chinese market.

This phone, by the way, with all the hype going on, will pave the last miles of Apple's way to being the first $1B company of the planet.
I strongly recommend buying AAPL now, as it will be worth between 230-250$ by the end of January 2018.

Yes, probably I'm being a bit of a fan boy here, but these are my honest personal predictions.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I agree. Totally reasonable for two people to have their own opinions. I just like to play devils advocate with someone who swears up and down that their opinion is fact.
[doublepost=1503604389][/doublepost]

There was a time that an iPad could never be imagined for professional use. Things have changed. To Apple, Pro doesn't necessarily mean for professional use, it just means more features/specs. You can do professional work on an iPad, MacBook, or iMac - you just get a little more power and extra features with the Pro version. Maybe the iPhone Pro gets ProMotion and quad speakers, maybe the normal iPhone doesn't. Maybe the Apple TV Pro gets a built in camera for video conferencing, maybe the normal Apple TV doesn't. These are all definitely possibilities considering it is exactly what Apple has been doing over the last few years. We can agree to disagree here, but this is my opinion, and you have yours. There are no facts being discussed here.
You just suggested quad speakers in an iPhone. This tells me you know absolutely nothing about the internal engineering and space available.

P.S. Promotion isn't going to be a Pro only feature. Absurd.
[doublepost=1503613160][/doublepost]
Exactly. There were already rumors of 5.8 and 6.3 OLED screens ordered for 2018. No need for numbers. iPhone and iPhone Pro makes perfect sense. Higher resolution maybe, quad speakers, ProMotion, better camera on the Pro.
Face/palm. Now you're back to thinking the 5.8" will drop down to iPhone and the 6.3" will be Pro next year? Come on dude......

By the way I want to ask you, why do you think iPhones ever received numbering to begin with?

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
I predict the new iPhone will be called the pro. It does not make sense to use a new number when the 7s and 7s Plus are released as well, it is kind of stepping on their own toes. If they scrapped the 7s line I would agree but it is not the only iphone being released.

The pro is intended for those who use their technology for heavy personal integration and business purposes. the pro is a kind of halo line with the latest technology for those willing to pay for it. A big hold back for iPhone and why it drags behind droid phones in tech is because of the strict performance expectations and the wait for the cost of that technology to be affordable.

I could see the X being used for the iPhone 10 but I could also see that being the last time numbers are attached to iPhone models.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
I think the iPhone '8' will launch alongside the iPhone '7S' and iPhone '7S' Plus - reason being to elevate the price of the "PRO" iPhone 8!

I think this will be the naming convention for this year will be iPhone X, iPhone X Plus, iPhone X Pro or simply iPhone, iPhone Plus and iPhone Pro, to make them all seem fresh and new, not 7S and 8.

iPhone X, iPhone X Plus and iPhone X Pro will all launch September 22nd, 2017.

Pricing would be as follows:

iPhone X (4.7" LCD Display, A11 Chip, All New Glass Design, Upgraded Optics)
64GB $649 ($27 per month)
128GB $749 ($31 per month)
256GB. $849 ($40 per month)

iPhone X Plus (5.5" LCD Display, A11 Chip, All New Glass Design, Upgraded Optics)
64GB $769 ($37 per month)
128GB $869 ($41 per month)
256GB. $969 ($45 per month)

iPhone X Pro (5.8 Edge to Edge OLED Display, Facial Recognition, All Glass Design, Wireless Charging, 3D Camera)
128GB. $999 ($47 per month)
256GB $1099. ($51 per month)
512GB. $1199. ($55 per month)

Old iPhone 7 and iPhone 7Plus

iPhone 7
64GB. $549 ($22 per month)
128GB. $649 ($27 per month)

iPhone 7 Plus
64GB. $649 ($27 per month)
128GB. $749 ($31 per month)

32GB Capacity will be upgraded to 64GB.

Would be nice for Apple to offer the iPhone X Pro (iPhone 8) with 64GB for $899 but thats wishful thinking!

Will see what happens!
X, X Plus, X Pro?

Triple X series?

Too much X

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I predict the new iPhone will be called the pro. It does not make sense to use a new number when the 7s and 7s Plus are released as well, it is kind of stepping on their own toes. If they scrapped the 7s line I would agree but it is not the only iphone being released.

The pro is intended for those who use their technology for heavy personal integration and business purposes. the pro is a kind of halo line with the latest technology for those willing to pay for it. A big hold back for iPhone and why it drags behind droid phones in tech is because of the strict performance expectations and the wait for the cost of that technology to be affordable.

I could see the X being used for the iPhone 10 but I could also see that being the last time numbers are attached to iPhone models.
Let me throw something your way and see what you think about it. This is my personal thinking on the matter, and what I concluded long ago now.

Pretend that OLED displays had a yield identical to the LCDs that Apple currently uses. Instead of the reported 60% yield that they actually have. And pretend that Apple could get the supply of OLED displays like they currently can with LCD displays.

Would there be LCD iPhones releasing this year? No. There would be two new iPhones, and both of them would have OLED displays, and both of them would be about $100-$150 more expensive than the current base prices. So $749-799 and $849-899 respectively. They would simply act like any other yearly update to iPhones, except this year would happen to be a redesign year.

The reason this is not the case is due to the fact that the supply cannot meet the demand and the yield is too low to keep pricing relatively the same. Therefore Apple had to decide to release 3 new iPhones this year and wait to release the Plus-sized version of the OLED iPhone until next year. They had to make new LCD iPhones to satisfy customers who would not or could not afford the massive price increase due to the numerous new technologies, and to meet the demand of iPhones in general, as the OLED supply cannot meet the demand for iPhones in general, yet.

So what happens in 2018? There will be 2 OLED iPhones and likely no new LCD iPhones because by next fall Apple will have increased yield rates and supply and likely be able to greatly reduce the cost of the OLED iPhones.

The OLED iPhones are not a 'Pro' version. They're merely the next iPhones. They will be the only new iPhones in 2018 or 2019 at the latest, and there will not be any 'non-Pro' iPhones sold.

Finally, 'Pro' would be the worst marketing for this iPhone. You want to draw attention to it, that's the point of marketing. Pro will not grab attention. Almost any other new terminology will though.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
I think this will be the naming convention for this year will be iPhone X, iPhone X Plus, iPhone X Pro or simply iPhone, iPhone Plus and iPhone Pro, to make them all seem fresh and new, not 7S and 8.

iPhone X, iPhone X Plus and iPhone X Pro will all launch September 22nd, 2017.

This yrs phones will be named X. Sounds reasonable.
10 yrs anniversary as it is.
That will be the end of numbers.
Good way to get out of it.

Next yrs updates will only be iPhone, iPhone Plus & Pro.

Reactions: Izauze

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
something new name this time ,,,, X or Pro not so secret enough

here my quick guess-

iphone 2007 = iphone 2G

iphone 2017 = iphone 5G

maybe apple just call = iphone

new iphone or iphone

:)

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You just suggested quad speakers in an iPhone. This tells me you know absolutely nothing about the internal engineering and space available.

P.S. Promotion isn't going to be a Pro only feature. Absurd.
[doublepost=1503613160][/doublepost]
Face/palm. Now you're back to thinking the 5.8" will drop down to iPhone and the 6.3" will be Pro next year? Come on dude......

By the way I want to ask you, why do you think iPhones ever received numbering to begin with?

I'll just defer to you on all things Apple moving forward.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Hi everyone, just a quick question. I'm based in the UK but i'll be in Miami around the time the iPhone 8 should go on preorder.

From previous launches, is there an option to pre order and pick up and pay in store? It will be a sim free version with no carrier. I don't want to have it shipped to the hotel as my UK credit card billing address would not match that of the hotel which could complicate things.

Cheers

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
I don't understand why all of you believe the rumors. During the years I've been with Apple, I totally don't see 3 devices coming. Last year with the iPhone 7, many people have claimed there wouldn't be a 7, because the design would be the same, and instead there is going to be an iPhone 6SE and an iPhone Pro or 7 which was hilarious.

Ask yourself this question: Why would anyone buy an iPhone 7S which will be THE SAME device as the 6, 6S and the 7 ? Do you think wireless charging justifies that? Or the expected A11 chip inside of it? Or an increased camera aperture to 1.7f if you will.... I don't think so.

I don't think people will want to spend $650 or so for a phone they already have - the 7. ESPECIALLY when ANOTHER device - iPhone 8, which will be totally refreshed and new. It is simply not the Apple way. Everyone with a little brain would want the 8 over the 7S if that was the case.

So what I personally believe in, is that we're still going to see two devices - one smaller, and the other one slightly bigger. It could be possible that the bigger one would get certain stuff, the same way as the 7+ got the dualcamera, which I am against, but nevertheless that's what I am going to expect till the curtain unveils..

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don't understand why all of you believe the rumors. During the years I've been with Apple, I totally don't see 3 devices coming. Last year with the iPhone 7, many people have claimed there wouldn't be a 7, because the design would be the same, and instead there is going to be an iPhone 6SE and an iPhone Pro or 7 which was hilarious.

Ask yourself this question: Why would anyone buy an iPhone 7S which will be THE SAME device as the 6, 6S and the 7 ? Do you think wireless charging justifies that? Or the expected A11 chip inside of it? Or an increased camera aperture to 1.7f if you will.... I don't think so.

I don't think people will want to spend $650 or so for a phone they already have - the 7. ESPECIALLY when ANOTHER device - iPhone 8, which will be totally refreshed and new. It is simply not the Apple way. Everyone with a little brain would want the 8 over the 7S if that was the case.

So what I personally believe in, is that we're still going to see two devices - one smaller, and the other one slightly bigger. It could be possible that the bigger one would get certain stuff, the same way as the 7+ got the dualcamera, which I am against, but nevertheless that's what I am going to expect till the curtain unveils..

All of the leaks say otherwise. The "7s" is supposed to be a completely different design, all glass, steel frame. This coupled with an updated chip, wireless charging, potentially higher waterproofing, camera enhancements, and whatever else they have come up with certainly warrants a new phone. It also gives people that don't want to spend for the Pro version an option with some updated features from the 7. Was the jump from 6 to 6s to 7 all that huge? No, they did it though.

Reactions: Vanilla35

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
All of the leaks say otherwise. The "7s" is supposed to be a completely different design, all glass, steel frame. This coupled with an updated chip, wireless charging, potentially higher waterproofing, camera enhancements, and whatever else they have come up with certainly warrants a new phone. It also gives people that don't want to spend for the Pro version an option with some updated features from the 7. Was the jump from 6 to 6s to 7 all that huge? No, they did it though.

Still doesn't justify anything from what you just said. Do I give a **** if I have a glass over my aluminium which feels more premium? No. That's the thing we don't have to spend more for a "pro" version at all. We will spend for the NEW product which should be 1 or 2 (the bigger variant). Look at history for instance. When Samsung unveils from S7 to S8 or any other smartphone, they include it all at once to the newer product and didn't cut it into pieces. We can't live in the past and justify the "new" features, when they are a must. What I'm saying is there's no sense of a big increasement in price when you are putting new tech into your new product. That's why it's a new product after all. Also, you can't justify it with giving us wireless charging or whatever, which most of the phones already have and cost less. I am not bashing Apple, I am going to buy the next thing no matter what since I already sold my 7. I don't know if you understand me well, but my point is that there is absolutely no sense of doing a 7S, 7S+ and a Pro/whatever model. It won't happen mock my words.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Still doesn't justify anything from what you just said. Do I give a **** if I have a glass over my aluminium which feels more premium? No. That's the thing we don't have to spend more for a "pro" version at all. We will spend for the NEW product which should be 1 or 2 (the bigger variant). Look at history for instance. When Samsung unveils from S7 to S8 or any other smartphone, they include it all at once to the newer product and didn't cut it into pieces. We can't live in the past and justify the "new" features, when they are a must. What I'm saying is there's no sense of a big increasement in price when you are putting new tech into your new product. That's why it's a new product after all. Also, you can't justify it with giving us wireless charging or whatever, which most of the phones already have and cost less. I am not bashing Apple, I am going to buy the next thing no matter what since I already sold my 7. I don't know if you understand me well, but my point is that there is absolutely no sense of doing a 7S, 7S+ and a Pro/whatever model. It won't happen mock my words.

Man, some of you guys on here need to relax. It's just a phone. Don't buy it if you don't want it. Nobody is forcing you to.

Reactions: Vanilla35

jlseattle

Cancelled
Jan 9, 2007
Seattle WA
If they simplify it then they will do what they did with the iPad which is the iPhone and the iPhone Pro. I wish that there was a better naming convention to communicate cheap model versus expensive model outside of the word "pro". There isn't anything pro about me buying the iPhone "Pro". lol

Maybe they could call it the "hella expensive leet" iPhone hahaha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.