Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Iphone pro is silly, then again so was ipad pro

iPhone Pro does sound silly, because it's not a device used to complete more work orientated tasks. But I disagree with you that iPad Pro sounds silly as well, that's a completely entirely different device that offers different functionality for productivity, programs, larger display, etc.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
I damn near promise you Apple will release 3 phones this year called:

iPhone X
iPhone X Plus
iPhone X Edition

Because - They want to break the sequential numbering system they've been stuck in; They want to release ONE family of new devices, not two tiers. It's the only possibility that fits Apple's narrative. Mark this thread.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
Those name is not rumors

I guess it will be called

iphone 7
iphone 7S Plus
iphone 7S Pro | Oled version |:apple:

or

iphone 7s
iphone 7s plus
iphone 8 | oled version |:apple:

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009

iPhone X
iPhone X Plus
iPhone X Edition

Because - They want to break the sequential numbering system they've been stuck in; They want to release ONE family of new devices, not two tiers. It's the only possibility that fits Apple's narrative. Mark this thread.

I believe this.

iPhone X and iPhone X Plus will be the current design but with glass housing and wireless charging.
iPhone X Edition will be the OLED, bezel-less design with FaceID. People will probably call it the XE for short.

I think the phones will look visually similar save for the Edition having such drastically reduced bezels.

From this year on they’ll move to X2, X3, X4 etc.

I don’t think they will want to launch the 8 at the same time as a 7s. They will make the ‘7s’ model seem important too.

Reactions: Izauze

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
I guess it will be called

iphone 7
iphone 7S Plus
iphone 7S Pro | Oled version |:apple:

or

iphone 7s
iphone 7s plus
iphone 8 | oled version |:apple:
If there was a secure way of betting on something like that, I'd happily put $100 in the line that it's not either of those. ESPECIALLY the 2nd

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
i dont think apple using X word yet to descrbe a phone

for movement they using Plus and Pro

so why not

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
whatever they call i still buy it anyway ...
dont care much about name ,,, :apple:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

iPhone X
iPhone X Plus
iPhone X Edition

I agree. They won't release an iPhone 7S and iPhone 8 because than you'll have 2 'families of devices'. They will want to go for one family.

I think they will even argue that the 4.7" and 5.5" models also have the same design (language) as the new 5.8" OLED model (new metal band, glass rear).

If they market it like that, they'll be able to say "Whatever model you get, you'll have a shiny new iPhone X"

Reactions: Moccasin and Izauze

Xayah

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2017
I think it's going to be 7s, 7s Plus and X. They need to differentiate between the models, so consumers don't get too confused. If I'm paying that much for a phone, I want to feel that it's special.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I don't like the X. Hoping for iPhone, iPhone Plus, and iPhone Pro. I think it's likely because that is what they are doing for their other product lines. What do you do the year after X? Kinda silly.

Reactions: KRG

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

iPhone X
iPhone X Plus
iPhone X Edition

You might find this thread helpful: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-pro-8-x.2061300/

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I don't like the X. Hoping for iPhone, iPhone Plus, and iPhone Pro. I think it's likely because that is what they are doing for their other product lines. What do you do the year after X? Kinda silly.
I also liked "Pro", but what happens next year? - Is the Pro just a once off? You'd think they couldn't keep it for every year.

No I think it'll reference Apple's 10 year anniversary, hence the Roman numeral "X". A special edition for this year only, but whos 'bezel-free' design will flow to 8 & 8+ models next year?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I also liked "Pro", but what happens next year? - Is the Pro just a once off? You'd think they couldn't keep it for every year.

No I think it'll reference Apple's 10 year anniversary, hence the Roman numeral "X". A special edition for this year only, but whos 'bezel-free' design will flow to 8 & 8+ models next year?

Pro can become the norm every year. The same as iPad and iPad Pro or MacBook and MacBook Pro. Next year there will only be iPhone and iPhone Pro (5.8 inch screen and 6.4 screen). This makes much more sense than X. What would next year's phone be? The iPhone XI, 11? Makes no sense.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

iPhone X
iPhone X Plus
iPhone X Edition

A promise based on a hunch. I’m glad I don’t do business with you. I could just as easily say I damn near promise it won’t be called X. Also marking this thread, either to correct you or eat humble pie.....

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
7s and 7s plus, with the new oled being an 'edition' or other stand-alone name would make the most sense, with the 8 and 8 plus taking design cues from the edition in a years time to tidy up the line again once the tech has bedded in and reduced in price a little:

G10-->----G11--->----G12
------>----7s----->----8
7+
---->----7s+---->---8+
n/a
--->--Edition--->--8+

Having said that, keeping the line tidy, pruned and non-confusing seems to have taken a backseat to creating as many categories/price points as necessary to maximise profits recently, so who knows. (Not a criticism, just an observation)

Last edited:

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
i am sure they wont use X name for new iphone

X dont make sence at all...

S - S Plus - Pro

or

S - S plus - 8

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Apple will never have iPhone Pro. You will insist it will happen next year after it doesn't again this year.
[doublepost=1503494673][/doublepost]
i am sure they wont use X name for new iphone

X dont make sence at all...

S - S Plus - Pro

or

S - S plus - 8
'X don't make sence at all...'

Sence? And don't? Really?
[doublepost=1503494703][/doublepost]
Correct. Just no number any longer. Followed my Apple dropping the plus and just going iPhone and iPhone Pro next year.
Idiotic marketing. Sorry

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
After todays Memory size leak (see front page) I'm settled on the phones being named iPhone 7S, iPhone 7S Plus, iPhone Pro. iPhone 8 is next year.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Apple will never have iPhone Pro. You will insist it will happen next year after it doesn't again this year.
[doublepost=1503494673][/doublepost]
'X don't make sence at all...'

Sence? And don't? Really?
[doublepost=1503494703][/doublepost]
Idiotic marketing. Sorry

Never and idiotic, yet they have done it with all their other product lines? Makes sense. Next year it'll be iPhone/iPhone Pro, MacBook/MacBook Pro, iMac/iMac Pro, and iPad/iPad Pro. They'll probably do it eventually with the Apple TV too as they move down in price. Open up more buying opportunities for those without much money, add more features to the high end. It makes more sense you just saying no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.