Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Pro can become the norm every year. The same as iPad and iPad Pro or MacBook and MacBook Pro. Next year there will only be iPhone and iPhone Pro (5.8 inch screen and 6.4 screen). This makes much more sense than X. What would next year's phone be? The iPhone XI, 11? Makes no sense.
As mentioned the next one's won't have the X reference & return back to the numbering scheme (8, 8+), not X1 etc.

But the Pro does also make sense I guess if you think about their other line of products. But does there need to be significant difference between a regular model & a Pro model? Is screen size enough for it to fall under the Pro name?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
As mentioned the next one's won't have the X reference & return back to the numbering scheme (8, 8+), not X1 etc.

But the Pro does also make sense I guess if you think about their other line of products. But does there need to be significant difference between a regular model & a Pro model? Is screen size enough for it to fall under the Pro name?

From a marketing perspective, I don’t think Apple would ever sell a phone next year with the 8 moniker considering their competition will be promoting their 9 phone. I think Apple is smart and knows they nee to drop the numbers. No reason to play Samsung’s game. And yes I am sure there are plenty of features to distinguish the normal iPhone from the Pro in the future. What that is I obviously have no idea, but they did it with the Plus (OIS, 1080p display, more ram, better cameras). I’m sure they’ll come up with something.

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
Larger oled screen, larger storage tiers, much better camera, 4K video, 3D facial recognition, and presumably more that we haven't heard about yet. Plenty to justify the Pro moniker.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
iPhone Eclipse
[doublepost=1503528352][/doublepost]
From a marketing perspective, I don’t think Apple would ever sell a phone next year with the 8 moniker considering their competition will be promoting their 9 phone. I think Apple is smart and knows they nee to drop the numbers. No reason to play Samsung’s game. And yes I am sure there are plenty of features to distinguish the normal iPhone from the Pro in the future. What that is I obviously have no idea, but they did it with the Plus (OIS, 1080p display, more ram, better cameras). I’m sure they’ll come up with something.
You're wrong.

Here's the thing: there is very little to do with the iPhone going forward. That's the mistake people are making thinking there will be 'iPhone Pro' and therefore a non-Pro version with lesser features.

See, this year, 2017, Apple is putting technologies in the phone that will not be advanced for years. An L-shaped battery, multi-layer logic board, the sensor arrays, and on and on. These are not going to be replaced by magical new tech anytime soon. There will be nothing to differentiate Pro and non-Pro iPhones.

There will never be an 'iPhone Pro'. My god it is the absolute worst marketing name for this iPhone. Think about it for a moment, really seriously think about it. This device gets massive upgrades to virtually every aspect of it and it's just called 'iPhone Pro'? That is abysmal marketing. The point of marketing is to draw attention to a device. When people read 'iPhone Pro' they'll skip right over even looking at what it offers. The Pro name is known to people. They know it means more powerful and for professional users having features they don't need or care about. See this is why Apple will give it a new marketing term after 'iphone'. This name gets people to look at what is different about it.

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
The Pro name is known to people. They know it means more powerful and for professional users having features they don't need or care about. See this is why Apple will give it a new marketing term after 'iphone'. This name gets people to look at what is different about it.

Doesn't mean that to me. In Apple-speak, it simply means better than basic. The non-pro iPad and even the non-pro Macbook are very compromised products without many features. The iPad Pro and Macbook Pro are arguably very mainstream at this point. The Macbook Pro literally starts at the same price as the Macbook and likely sells in higher numbers.

All my Macbooks have been pro, my ipad is pro, and i still bet my next iPhone will be pro.....and i do zero content creation.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
I feeling that iphone 7 is version improve and fix for 6S
so apple might not using 7S this year also they know they should redesign last model but somehow they save it for now

so they might go straight to

8-
8- Plus
8 PRO

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
iPhone Eclipse
[doublepost=1503528352][/doublepost]
You're wrong.

Here's the thing: there is very little to do with the iPhone going forward. That's the mistake people are making thinking there will be 'iPhone Pro' and therefore a non-Pro version with lesser features.

See, this year, 2017, Apple is putting technologies in the phone that will not be advanced for years. An L-shaped battery, multi-layer logic board, the sensor arrays, and on and on. These are not going to be replaced by magical new tech anytime soon. There will be nothing to differentiate Pro and non-Pro iPhones.

There will never be an 'iPhone Pro'. My god it is the absolute worst marketing name for this iPhone. Think about it for a moment, really seriously think about it. This device gets massive upgrades to virtually every aspect of it and it's just called 'iPhone Pro'? That is abysmal marketing. The point of marketing is to draw attention to a device. When people read 'iPhone Pro' they'll skip right over even looking at what it offers. The Pro name is known to people. They know it means more powerful and for professional users having features they don't need or care about. See this is why Apple will give it a new marketing term after 'iphone'. This name gets people to look at what is different about it.

It's fine that we disagree. And by the way, it's all opinion, so there is no current right or wrong in this discussion. In my eyes, Pro just means more features, which they have done for years with other product lines. I could easily see them doing the exact same thing with the iPhone. And to say that technology won't push forward in any way is very short sighted. Either way, we'll see what happens.

JustJoshua

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
Three flagships in one year isn’t exactly a marketing win for anyone. In a market flooded as it is it wouldn’t go over well financially for a marketing standpoint to release the 7s and 8 in the same year.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
It's fine that we disagree. And by the way, it's all opinion, so there is no current right or wrong in this discussion. In my eyes, Pro just means more features, which they have done for years with other product lines. I could easily see them doing the exact same thing with the iPhone. And to say that technology won't push forward in any way is very short sighted. Either way, we'll see what happens.
Technology will continue to advance. It just won't be anything close to this. The iPhone is basically finished in multiple ways in 2017. Lest you forget, once you have no bezels, you can't have lesser bezels. It's reaching design finish

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Technology will continue to advance. It just won't be anything close to this. The iPhone is basically finished in multiple ways in 2017. Lest you forget, once you have no bezels, you can't have lesser bezels. It's reaching design finish

Yea, I have no doubt about that. Eventually it will just be different sized slabs of screen. There are still many advancements to technology that can still be brought to the iPhone. Design is really the least of my worries.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Yea, I have no doubt about that. Eventually it will just be different sized slabs of screen. There are still many advancements to technology that can still be brought to the iPhone. Design is really the least of my worries.
Yes but there are not advancements where you can put X, Z, Y, T, D, S and G in the 'Pro' and only do D, S, and G in the non-Pro. There aren't enough features to do that. Therefore you can't release Pro and non-Pro iPhones. It makes no sense on every level.

This year there are numerous features the premium iPhone gets over the 7s, but from this point forward there are no more drastic changes to be had. That's the reality.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yes but there are not advancements where you can put X, Z, Y, T, D, S and G in the 'Pro' and only do D, S, and G in the non-Pro. There aren't enough features to do that. Therefore you can't release Pro and non-Pro iPhones. It makes no sense on every level.

This year there are numerous features the premium iPhone gets over the 7s, but from this point forward there are no more drastic changes to be had. That's the reality.

I am sorry, but I don't agree. I don't see the iPhone Pro as the culmination of everything possible in a phone. Technology will continue to move forward and more and more features will be added to the phone. If what your saying is true, Apple might as well just close up shop after this. No reason to keep pouring R&D into their core business. Just continue to sell the iPhone Pro unchanged moving forward.

Edit: And look at what Apple did with the iPhone and iPhone Plus as an example. Apple added a 1080p display, OIS, dual camera, and more ram to the Plus while leaving them out of the normal iPhone. Same idea.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I am sorry, but I don't agree. I don't see the iPhone Pro as the culmination of everything possible in a phone. Technology will continue to move forward and more and more features will be added to the phone. If what your saying is true, Apple might as well just close up shop after this. No reason to keep pouring R&D into their core business. Just continue to sell the iPhone Pro unchanged moving forward.

Edit: And look at what Apple did with the iPhone and iPhone Plus as an example. Apple added a 1080p display, OIS, dual camera, and more ram to the Plus while leaving them out of the normal iPhone. Same idea.
They added those because there was space to do it, not because they specifically wanted to differentiate them.

What I'm saying is 'Pro' as a naming scheme is pointless because that suggests there is a non-Pro. You'd never call something 'Pro' if there wasn't a non-Pro, and what I'm saying is there won't be enough features year over year to differentiate them. The only way would be to strictly add only a new chip to the lower models and just say the Pros get the new camera upstarts yearly. Which would be unbelievably bad for business because they'd never sell the non-Pro then.

At the end of the day there will be 2 OLED iPhones next year which you can think of as the new iPhones like LCDs have been. Two new iPhones each year while selling the older models for a cheaper price.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
They added those because there was space to do it, not because they specifically wanted to differentiate them.

What I'm saying is 'Pro' as a naming scheme is pointless because that suggests there is a non-Pro. You'd never call something 'Pro' if there wasn't a non-Pro, and what I'm saying is there won't be enough features year over year to differentiate them. The only way would be to strictly add only a new chip to the lower models and just say the Pros get the new camera upstarts yearly. Which would be unbelievably bad for business because they'd never sell the non-Pro then.

At the end of the day there will be 2 OLED iPhones next year which you can think of as the new iPhones like LCDs have been. Two new iPhones each year while selling the older models for a cheaper price.

I don’t know. Apple has shown otherwise by moving all of their product lines to Pro and non-Pro. I’ll stick to that logic, but we’ll see.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I don’t know. Apple has shown otherwise by moving all of their product lines to Pro and non-Pro. I’ll stick to that logic, but we’ll see.
Look if they ever name an Apple Watch, iPhone, Apple TV or HomePod 'Pro' then it just tells you Apple is full of complete morons. That is all.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think the iPhone '8' will launch alongside the iPhone '7S' and iPhone '7S' Plus - reason being to elevate the price of the "PRO" iPhone 8!

I think this will be the naming convention for this year will be iPhone X, iPhone X Plus, iPhone X Pro or simply iPhone, iPhone Plus and iPhone Pro, to make them all seem fresh and new, not 7S and 8.

iPhone X, iPhone X Plus and iPhone X Pro will all launch September 22nd, 2017.

Pricing would be as follows:

iPhone X (4.7" LCD Display, A11 Chip, All New Glass Design, Upgraded Optics)
64GB $649 ($27 per month)
128GB $749 ($31 per month)
256GB. $849 ($40 per month)

iPhone X Plus (5.5" LCD Display, A11 Chip, All New Glass Design, Upgraded Optics)
64GB $769 ($37 per month)
128GB $869 ($41 per month)
256GB. $969 ($45 per month)

iPhone X Pro (5.8 Edge to Edge OLED Display, Facial Recognition, All Glass Design, Wireless Charging, 3D Camera)
128GB. $999 ($47 per month)
256GB $1099. ($51 per month)
512GB. $1199. ($55 per month)

Old iPhone 7 and iPhone 7Plus

iPhone 7
64GB. $549 ($22 per month)
128GB. $649 ($27 per month)

iPhone 7 Plus
64GB. $649 ($27 per month)
128GB. $749 ($31 per month)

32GB Capacity will be upgraded to 64GB.

Would be nice for Apple to offer the iPhone X Pro (iPhone 8) with 64GB for $899 but thats wishful thinking!

Will see what happens!

Reactions: robbysibrahim

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think the iPhone '8' will launch alongside the iPhone '7S' and iPhone '7S' Plus - reason being to elevate the price of the "PRO" iPhone 8!

I think this will be the naming convention for this year will be iPhone X, iPhone X Plus, iPhone X Pro or simply iPhone, iPhone Plus and iPhone Pro, to make them all seem fresh and new, not 7S and 8.

iPhone X Plus (5.5" LCD Display, A11 Chip, All New Glass Design, Upgraded Optics)

iPhone X Pro (5.8 Edge to Edge OLED Display, Facial Recognition, All Glass Design, Wireless Charging, 3D Camera)

iPhone 7

iPhone 7 Plus

Would be nice for Apple to offer the iPhone X Pro (iPhone 8) with 64GB for $899 but thats wishful thinking!

Will see what happens!

Reactions: Lioness~

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
"Pro" makes no sense for a phone name in my opinion. I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a "pro" smartphone user and a regular smartphone user.

When it comes to laptops this makes much more sense as there is a clear distinction between types of users. iPad Pro is pushing it...

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
"Pro" makes no sense for a phone name in my opinion. I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a "pro" smartphone user and a regular smartphone user.

When it comes to laptops this makes much more sense as there is a clear distinction between types of users. iPad Pro is pushing it...

I agree, I was debating this myself, however for marketing purposes it would work.

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

iPhone 7

iPhone 7 Plus

Will see what happens!

I'm on board with all that and lean toward removal of the generation number from the iPhone name. There's diminishing value to adding a number to the model to make it seem newer than the last as hardware innovations stagnate. Apple's new focus on software and even more so *services* seems to support this.

Reactions: ForumChick

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I agree, I was debating this myself, however for marketing purposes it would work.

No, it doesn't work for marketing purposes. There is nothing remotely "Pro" about an iPhone. It's a device as it's primary function is to make/receive calls and notifications. iPads and MacBooks are entirely different platforms for accomplishing different tasks or productivity requirements for more work related programs/applications.

Reactions: 9594864

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Look if they ever name an Apple Watch, iPhone, Apple TV or HomePod 'Pro' then it just tells you Apple is full of complete morons. That is all.

Yea I don't think it will ever happen with the Apple Watch or HomePod, but definitely iPhone and potentially Apple TV at some point. Apple wants to dip prices to get more people into their ecosystem and then sell more advanced "pro" features. They'll continue down the path that they have already started with iPad, iMac, and MacBook.
[doublepost=1503603226][/doublepost]

iPhone 7

iPhone 7 Plus

Will see what happens!

What happens next year after they go with iPhone X this year?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.