Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2016
My guess is this: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and the expensive one will be called the iPhone Edition.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Ask yourself, why would Apple name their flagship phone "iPhone Edition"? The "Edition" watches did not go over well, the tag has become synonymous with overpriced bling / cosmetic junk. This is not how Apple wants to sell their new phone. Pay attention.

Reactions: Vanilla35

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
All you need to know to know that Pro won't happen is exactly that, look to next year.

iPhone Pro

iPhone Pro Plus (hahaha)

Worst most comical marketing in history.

Oh and of course people just then say 'oh well then they would just drop the Plus, harrr harrr.' Except they fail to reason as to why Apple called one Plus to begin with. According to their thinking there would never have been a reason to ever have had a Plus. According to their reasoning you would've just had 'iPhone 6' and customers would have just kinda gotten that they were two sizes.

Oh that's right, it's all MARKETING. Apple is intelligent enough to know that you must differentiate the iPhones so people know what they are getting and why they are different. Especially people just coming to iPhone from Samsung or the like.

Therefore, you could not reduce it to 'iPhone Pro'.
[doublepost=1503754973][/doublepost]
It's not my job to come up with the name, it's my job to point out the flaws in the logic of others.

Because the same thing didn’t happen to the iPad Pro? We previously had iPad mini, iPad Air and iPad Pro, and it slowly turned into iPad and iPad Pro (with multiple sizes). MacBook Pro has multiple sizes. It’s absolutely a possibility with the iPhone to go iPhone and iPhone Pro (even in 2018 with 2 screen size options for the Pro models).

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
Because the same thing didn’t happen to the iPad Pro? We previously had iPad mini, iPad Air and iPad Pro, and it slowly turned into iPad and iPad Pro (with multiple sizes). MacBook Pro has multiple sizes. It’s absolutely a possibility with the iPhone to go iPhone and iPhone Pro (even in 2018 with 2 screen size options for the Pro models).
See that's the conventional thinking. It's so simple to think that's what will happen or that it's likely to happen. I've come to realize that it's much harder to understand why it won't happen. People don't seem to think of why it's a bad idea, rather, they only see that it trends to what Apple has done previously with categorically different products.

I think if people thought about it more they'd get that it is terrible marketing.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I very much doubt that Apple will use 7S & 8 together. All three phones will likely have a consistent naming convention to avoid making the rehash of the 2016 iPhones sound too inferior to the OLED iPhone.

The iPhones that many are calling the 7S (Plus) are seemingly being remodelled to look as similar to the OLED model as possible so that they have a decent spread & users buying the 4.7” iPhone do not feel like they’re buying the lesser phone of the 3. This is especially true to ensure demand for the OLED phone can be managed against likely limited supply. Apple are not in the business of purposefully disappointing their customers & a naming convention that puts the OLED phone on an even bigger pedestal will surely lead to everyone wanting that & ignoring the rest.

The name of the OLED phone will also have to be chosen such that, if a larger version is released in 2018, this year’s name doesn’t clash & cause another naming change next year. This year’s naming will likely be a transitional sequence that allows the names to be easily tweaked to match a different range of models next year.

I therefore doubt that the OLED model would be called Pro if a larger model is planned next year as that would lead to a phone being called Pro Plus which, apart from being a likely trademark infringement on a well known energy pill, makes no real sense - will that phone only be for the really, really professional people?

It’s time for Apple to change the iPhone naming convention and this transitional year is the obvious time to do it.

Reactions: drzen

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I very much doubt that Apple will use 7S & 8 together. All three phones will likely have a consistent naming convention to avoid making the rehash of the 2016 iPhones sound too inferior to the OLED iPhone.

The iPhones that many are calling the 7S (Plus) are seemingly being remodelled to look as similar to the OLED model as possible so that they have a decent spread & users buying the 4.7” iPhone do not feel like they’re buying the lesser phone of the 3. This is especially true to ensure demand for the OLED phone can be managed against likely limited supply. Apple are not in the business of purposefully disappointing their customers & a naming convention that puts the OLED phone on an even bigger pedestal will surely lead to everyone wanting that & ignoring the rest.

The name of the OLED phone will also have to be chosen such that, if a larger version is released in 2018, this year’s name doesn’t clash & cause another naming change next year. This year’s naming will likely be a transitional sequence that allows the names to be easily tweaked to match a different range of models next year.

I therefore doubt that the OLED model would be called Pro if a larger model is planned next year as that would lead to a phone being called Pro Plus which, apart from being a likely trademark infringement on a well known energy pill, makes no real sense - will that phone only be for the really, really professional people?

It’s time for Apple to change the iPhone naming convention and this transitional year is the obvious time to do it.

Great points all around. Though I do think Pro is a definite possibility, even with multiple OLED sized iPhones coming in 2018. I think because of this Pro will be more likely than Edition. We saw that slowly happen to iPads, where the size was designated by the naming (mini and Air, and even to a short extent Pro), but they’ve slowly transitioned into iPad and iPad Pro (with multiple size Pros).

Reactions: Lioness~

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Great points all around. Though I do think Pro is a definite possibility, even with multiple OLED sized iPhones coming in 2018. I think because of this Pro will be more likely than Edition. We saw that slowly happen to iPads, where the size was designated by the naming (mini and Air, and even to a short extent Pro), but they’ve slowly transitioned into iPad and iPad Pro (with multiple size Pros).

It’s possible that Pro will be used but I think that would have been used before if they were intending to & the fact that it hasn’t yet been used points to them avoiding it for phones. It makes more sense for iPads & Macs where the specs are aimed at professional needs. I don’t actually see how you could use that for phones where many of the new features aren’t aimed at professionals. I’m not sure you can even say they’re aimed at power users, they just make a phone easier to use & more versatile. Does a professional need an OLED screen, wireless charging etc?

If they do go back to 2 main iPhone models next year, would they keep the Pro name if they were the only 2 phones Apple sold (other than the SE or it’s successor)? If they dropped the Pro suffix, does that mean it’s no longer a professional phone?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
It’s possible that Pro will be used but I think that would have been used before if they were intending to & the fact that it hasn’t yet been used points to them avoiding it for phones. It makes more sense for iPads & Macs where the specs are aimed at professional needs. I don’t actually see how you could use that for phones where many of the new features aren’t aimed at professionals. I’m not sure you can even say they’re aimed at power users, they just make a phone easier to use & more versatile. Does a professional need an OLED screen, wireless charging etc?

If they do go back to 2 main iPhone models next year, would they keep the Pro name if they were the only 2 phones Apple sold (other than the SE or it’s successor)? If they dropped the Pro suffix, does that mean it’s no longer a professional phone?

Couple things regarding Pro - my opinion anyway. 1) Pro is just apple’s term for a higher end or better version, not necessarily for professionals. 2) The name doesn’t have to be Pro, it could be something else to differentiate the OLED line of iPhones.

I honestly don’t think they’ll drop to just 2 iPhones against next year (2 OLED iPhones). I think they’re going to use these new OLED phones to expand the pricing options. I think we’ll see the 4.7” and 5.5” LCD iPhones, and maybe with time those will drop a bit in price? But also have the OLED iPhones (5.8” this year and maybe ~6.5” added next year)? which will push the upper pricing.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
This year we'll have:
  • iPhone 7S
  • iPhone 7S Plus
  • iPhone Edition
I think they'll use the same "Edition" differentiator like they do for Apple Watch to denote it's premium.

Or they could go back to basics and get rid of numbers and simply have
  • iPhone
  • iPhone Plus
  • iPhone PRO

Last edited:

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
The naming is probably the most exciting part of all of this!

I just hope it’s not 7s, 7s Plus and 8 as that seems dumb to me.

And please god, no Pro! I’d like 7s, 7s Plus and X Edition.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
A stranger posting something without proof is also meaningless.
You can call me out if it doesn't hold true that's really all I need to say.
[doublepost=1503959150][/doublepost]
The naming is probably the most exciting part of all of this!

I just hope it’s not 7s, 7s Plus and 8 as that seems dumb to me.

And please god, no Pro! I’d like 7s, 7s Plus and X Edition.
I can't wait to pre-order the "Edition". It won't be called 8. It will confuse people. Apple is going to maintain the scheme of numbering its iteration. Edition is plausible and it won't detract from the 7S and 7S Plus. It keeps things cohesive so that people will buy based on the features they want and need, and afford.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
You can call me out if it doesn't hold true that's really all I need to say.
[doublepost=1503959150][/doublepost]
I can't wait to pre-order the "Edition". It won't be called 8. It will confuse people. Apple is going to maintain the scheme of numbering its iteration. Edition is plausible and it won't detract from the 7S and 7S Plus. It keeps things cohesive so that people will buy based on the features they want and need, and afford.

Is this what you’ve heard then? That the naming will be 7s, 7s Plus, and Edition?

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
since Apple now clean up the new line up: ipad and ipad pro, macbook and macbook pro, imac and imac pro
its clear the Apple naming strategy: iphone and iphone pro

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
They will never call it the iphone pro. Nothing about it is pro. The iPad pro has a better screen, faster processor etc. The Macbook pro has a faster processor etc. The iPhone 8 only has a better/different screen and a different auth method and perhaps a slightly better camera. Pro has been used to denote a device that is for pro users. More powerful and features for professionals. The 8 will have none of those.

I reckon it will be a new name that doesn't bear any relation to the current names of other apple products and won't mess with or lock apple into any naming convention for next year. They will probably return to iPhone 8/+ next year where both will be based on the new notch design so making the name generic would be sensible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.