Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Apple will do with the naming scheme?

• Apple will differentiate, two names: iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus + iPhone 8

• Apple will not differentiate, one single name: iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus & iPhone 8 Pro

Results are only viewable after voting.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
The Next Web is reporting today from a source within Cupertino that the new phone is called iPhone X (pronounced iPhone 10).

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
iPhone X.

Naming it the iPhone 8 makes no sense for a few reasons.

1. They'd be announcing NEW models in 7 series and the "8" series in the same year, that'd be confusing to mainstream consumers and doesn't make marketing sense when people are so used to the number scheming.

2. The "8" series would only feature a single size and only two capacities which go's completely against everything they've done in the last few years of offerings.

3. Limited availability, and drastically different design suggests a premium or specialty edition and those type of products have different names from the standard nomenclature.

4. iPhone X or 10th anniversary edition actually makes sense, since you know, it's the tenth anniversary. It makes it very clear how "special" the device is to consumers and gets them to want it even more since it's not a "regular" iPhone.

Basically, it makes WAY more sense for the name to be iPhone X or some other similar name compared to giving it a standard upgrade name.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Shadowkillaz

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2017
I just saw this in one of the stores today in NZ.

Attachments

• 74123563-67E5-435F-B183-21501D4D0B3C.jpeg
    74123563-67E5-435F-B183-21501D4D0B3C.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 247

cryptonator

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2015
I still think it'll be the iPhone X.

No Edition, Pro etc, just X like Microsoft's XBOX One X.

What will Apple name the iPhone "10" then?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the name especially since it pays homage to the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, but there might be some confusion if you are going to pronounce "X" as "ten".

Aleh

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2013
My guess is:

iPhone 7s
iPhone 7s Plus
iPhone X

It makes sense at least. Pro, and Edition especially, are horrendous.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
My guess is:

iPhone 7s
iPhone 7s Plus
iPhone X

It makes sense at least. Pro, and Edition especially, are horrendous.
I disagree. When you say them aloud; iPhone Seven S, iPhone Seven S Plus and iPhone Ten, it almost sounds like they don’t know how to count.

I originally thought Edition would make more sense, but having read the names aloud, I’ve realised that it could be a combo of both X and Edition.

Think about it; it could be stylised in materials as “iPhone X”, but read aloud as “iPhone Tenth Anniversary Edition”

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
What will Apple name the iPhone "10" then?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the name especially since it pays homage to the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, but there might be some confusion if you are going to pronounce "X" as "ten".
Personally, I don't think it will be pronounced or referred to as Ten.

It will simply be the iPhone X.

titrau

Suspended
Aug 16, 2017
I think everybody tired guessing at this time , why dont we wait 1'more week then everything will be clear
:cool:

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
Yea, if Apple are indeed stupid, greedy and cheap enough to release old gen phones alongside the new one, in that case I'll think they will call it iPhone XE.

Why do I call them cheap, greedy and stupid ? Cuz they didn't release 2 phones just like they should've. 5.8" bezel less and a bigger version of it, because they want to steal more of our money first, so they can be on profit without even investing and at the same time sell the rest of the iPhone 7 parts which were left so they can milk us even more. And after they sell this years ****, which will have plenty of defects, just like the iPhone 6 which I have returned 6 times in a row when it came out, the very next year they will do what they should've done now - 2 bezel less iPhones.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
Cuz they didn't release 2 phones just like they should've. 5.8" bezel less and a bigger version of it

We've all heard about how they've struggled to get enough of the OLED panels for the 5.8" iPhone. So how were they supposed to release a bigger version at the same time? Supply would be even worse and people would complain even more.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I definitely don’t think it will be released as iPhone 8 alongside new 7S models for reasons already mentioned. iPhone X has a nice ring to it, but regardless of what it’s called, the 10th anniversary iPhone is a good opportunity for Apple to get away from numbering releases. The iPhone is a mature enough product that numbering is getting silly. iPhone 12? iPhone 14S? No.

Reactions: profets

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Yea, if Apple are indeed stupid, greedy and cheap enough to release old gen phones alongside the new one, in that case I'll think they will call it iPhone XE.

Why do I call them cheap, greedy and stupid ? Cuz they didn't release 2 phones just like they should've. 5.8" bezel less and a bigger version of it, because they want to steal more of our money first, so they can be on profit without even investing and at the same time sell the rest of the iPhone 7 parts which were left so they can milk us even more. And after they sell this years ****, which will have plenty of defects, just like the iPhone 6 which I have returned 6 times in a row when it came out, the very next year they will do what they should've done now - 2 bezel less iPhones.
Says you.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

You had to return the iPhone 6 six times?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.