Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
The Galaxy S20 Ultra has a Record Peak Brightness of 1,342 nits, which is 10% higher than on the Galaxy S10. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for the measurements and details. The Galaxy S20 Ultra can play 4K High Dynamic Range content made for 4K UHD TVs. ???
Not so fast. With a 100% APL (all white background) the S20 Ultra can only hit 500 nits in manual mode. That means the ambient light sensor decides when it can give you another 500 nits for a total of 1,011 nits. The 12 Pro Max can hit 825 nits at anytime. This is more with software than hardware.

Reactions: artfossil

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
Cheap oled and 1500$ price tag ...UI not adapted for big screen..its just pain in the a** but i understanf some of you like to hype yourself to sacrifice purchase ..i am more realistic
Not true. If we weren’t satisfied and had doubts we would take advantage of the holiday return period which is still active through January 8th. Think about that. Apple has given us from the time we received the device, November 13th, through January 8th. That’s almost 2 months for us to have buyers remorse and really explore whether we made a good purchase. So we aren’t here justifying the purchase because we can still return or exchange it.

edit: my 256gb was 1199$. Not 1500. And the oled screen came from Samsung. So this cheap screen is on your precious note 20 ultra as well.

Blacktinox

Suspended
Dec 27, 2020
So why are you here? Go use Android devices as you feel they are superior.
Not true. If we weren’t satisfied and had doubts we would take advantage of the holiday return period which is still active through January 8th. Think about that. Apple has given us from the time we received the device, November 13th, through January 8th. That’s almost 2 months for us to have buyers remorse and really explore whether we made a good purchase. So we aren’t here justifying the purchase because we can still return or exchange it.

edit: my 256gb was 1199$. Not 1500. And the oled screen came from Samsung. So this cheap screen is on your precious note 20 ultra as well.
Dude i dont have or use 20 ultra and also you already replaced your device so go back to apple store and cry to them like a kid that your screen is little yellow ??

“Apple has given us” oh god lord praise apple for giving us free return with defected devices which we waited for 2 months after pre order ..hope this apple religion stop one day

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Dude i dont have or use 20 ultra and also you already replaced your device so go back to apple store and cry to them like a kid that your screen is little yellow ??

“Apple has given us” oh god lord praise apple for giving us free return with defected devices which we waited for 2 months after pre order ..hope this apple religion stop one day

Screen isn't yellow, I haven't replaced it, and l like it, "dude/kid".

Reactions: artfossil

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Dude i dont have or use 20 ultra and also you already replaced your device so go back to apple store and cry to them like a kid that your screen is little yellow

Why are you so frustrated others haven’t bought the same phone as you? People are allowed to be satisfied with the products they buy, even if you personally prefer a different brand to those said people.

aesc80

macrumors 68020
Mar 24, 2015
Deeply in love with my 12 Pro Max. I feel like I cheated going from an iPhone X that lasted 3 years (and still can go further thanks to some free Apple repairs towards the end), to this. The only thing I should I could find is a way to apply some kind of anti-glare so that I do have reflections from light sources in the way. Other than that, the ability to use my phone all day, game on it from time to time, all in one charge is seriously dope! Glad I waited for this.

Reactions: 5105973

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks for sharing OP. I upgraded from iPhone 11 Pro Max, and while many of my friends argued that it's a miniscule "bump" I do tend to disagree. I don't think I use it enough to notice the battery difference/drain during the day vs the 11 Pro Max. Camera is great, screen is great, and I do like the new design as well ... even though it took few days to get used to the fact that it is tad larger - I had to stop going back to the 11 Pro Max to fully adjust to the new design/size. Love it nevertheless, and have nothing but good things to say about it.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
Cheap oled and 1500$ price tag ...UI not adapted for big screen..its just pain in the a** but i understanf some of you like to hype yourself to sacrifice purchase ..i am more realistic
Sacrifice purchase? I don't think I understand. Break out the crayons for me bro, I'm a little slow today.

Reactions: sparksd

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I sent Apple my 11 Pro and if that isn’t a vote of confidence, I don’t know what is, because it was a really good phone. But my gold 12 Pro Max has managed to be even more of a joy to own.

My only complaint, and since I own the 12 mini as well, is that this year’s iPhones have a bit more trouble with light reflections in the camera lenses than I’ve seen on other phone cameras I’ve used. But fortunately it’s not an issue that will show up often. I noticed it more when trying to photograph subjects near the Christmas tree and in certain similar lighting conditions.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
The battery life is really great, but the biggest difference compared with the 11 Pro Max is how much better the camera focuses in low light.

Reactions: Azathoth123

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
I too am loving my 12 PM and am really liking the direction that Apple made with the return of the squared edges and flat screen. In my opinion, this form is much easier to hold even though I have small hands. I think that I’m good for the next 8 months... at least until the new release 🤣. Looking forward to even better improvements for the next iteration.

Ram65

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
I’ve had my 12 Pro Max since launch and I still feel such a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction each time I pick it up and use it. It’s just such a joy to use, it feels so nice and comfortable to hold, the camera(s) are incredible, all my friends are commenting on how good my photos are since I got it. I literally don’t have a single complaint about it. It looks and feels and works like such a premium and luxury product.

I think this is my favourite Apple device and phone upgrade ever.

I know this post is kinda pointless but I feel like every time I come on here all I see is people criticising and moaning about stuff so I just wanted to post about how pleased I am with my phone.
I’m happy you enjoying your phone . I to would like to enjoy my iPhone 12pro . But I returned mines and wait for the IPhone13 Pro max with a more polish Qualcomm X60 modem and 120mhz screen

wireless-toyz09

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2009
I too am loving my 12 PM and am really liking the direction that Apple made with the return of the squared edges and flat screen. In my opinion, this form is much easier to hold even though I have small hands. I think that I’m good for the next 8 months... at least until the new release ?. Looking forward to even better improvements for the next iteration.
I agree with you fully. ...I don’t see why people were saying the squared off design was harder to hold and “digs into your hands a little”. To me the squared off design gives you an easier yet tighter grip as the sides no longer curve outwards.

Reactions: beach bum

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I had a PM and Loved it! only issue for me was size and weight! I have arthritis... sadly... so was hard to hold for longer periods... damn.. wish there was a lightweight version! Anyone else in this same spot?

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I’ve had my Pacific Blue 12 Pro Max since launch day and I am in love! I did come from an 11 Pro Max (which ended up going to my sister) and I don’t regret it one bit. One, this phone came in my favorite color which is a first for a high end model, two - I love the size of this thing! The bigger the better! Also love the design (didn’t think I would at first, but once I got it and held it in hand, I was all for it). Overall, this was the best money spent and I am so happy that this is my phone !

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
I had a PM and Loved it! only issue for me was size and weight! I have arthritis... sadly... so was hard to hold for longer periods... damn.. wish there was a lightweight version! Anyone else in this same spot?
No arthritis here but I'm an artist/prioritize ergonomics/protect my hands and wrists from strain or overuse. I do a lot of "propping" with my 12 Pro Max (not much different in that regard from my 8+). I also used to use a device holder similar to this one. They are very useful and definitely can relieve the strain of holding a phone or iPad or Kindle for sustained periods. https://www.amazon.com/TAB-Roll-EReader-Accessory-Adjustable/dp/B00W9RNATK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1381Q4QHFJE0S&dchild=1&keywords=lap+holder+for+kindle&qid=1609958133&sprefix=lap+holder,aps,176&sr=8-6

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 1.40.03 PM.png

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
I use PopSocket. Makes it easy to hold without having to tightly grip the phone. And Amazon also sells popsocket holders for car use.

Reactions: kp98077

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I’ve had my Pacific Blue 12 Pro Max since launch day and I am in love! I did come from an 11 Pro Max (which ended up going to my sister) and I don’t regret it one bit. One, this phone came in my favorite color which is a first for a high end model, two - I love the size of this thing! The bigger the better! Also love the design (didn’t think I would at first, but once I got it and held it in hand, I was all for it). Overall, this was the best money spent and I am so happy that this is my phone !
Just curious, other than the larger screen what else do you like, or should I say what else is "better" if you will, than your 11 Pro Max. I have the 11 Pro Max and I'm very on the fence about upgrading this year. I love my 11PM, so I'm really very undecided.
Thanks,
Devin

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
Just curious, other than the larger screen what else do you like, or should I say what else is "better" if you will, than your 11 Pro Max. I have the 11 Pro Max and I'm very on the fence about upgrading this year. I love my 11PM, so I'm really very undecided.
Thanks,
Devin
For me, the form factor and Portrait mode are two big improvements. The main sensor...is about the same...i don’t take ProRAW. Durability has improved...so, i care less about dropping. LOL

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
For me, the form factor and Portrait mode are two big improvements. The main sensor...is about the same...i don’t take ProRAW. Durability has improved...so, i care less about dropping. LOL
Thanks for your feedback. I can't believe this year I'm not over the top about the idea a new iPhone, what the heck is wrong with me!?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.