Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I received a Gold 128GB iPhone 12 Pro Max a few days ago. It is a stunning looking phone. I don't find the 12 Pro Max too heavy or too big having coming from a iPhone 6S+. The fit and finish on the phone I received is impeccable. I have read posts from people about uneven gaps around the frame where the glass meets the frame. On the phone I received, there is no such gap that I can observe. The display has no observed yellow tinting issue that I can observe. In short, I am loving the looks and feel of this phone.

I have a Silver 256GB iPhone 12 Pro Max coming. I had, for a short period of time, a Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro Max. This might seem strange to hear but the Pacific Blue was too much of the same blue. The reason I really like the Gold and Silver finishes, is the difference in color on the back and sides, which was not the case with the Pacific Blue.
I almost got the silver but A. I would have had to wait two more weeks and B. mix it up as my XS Max was white/silver.

120hz would be nice. Next upgrade.

PS: What do you all need 512gb for? No cloud?

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Apple outdid themselves with the iPhone 12 Pro Max? It is a small update over the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

60hz display on a flagship headphone in 2020 is just a joke. Even budget phones have higher refresh rates.

Reactions: MarkX and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Apple outdid themselves with the iPhone 12 Pro Max? It is a small update over the iPhone 11 Pro Max.

60hz display on a flagship headphone in 2020 is just a joke. Even budget phones have higher refresh rates.

At times I get a display stutter - nothing mindblowing or stopping me from using it, however I suspect it is directly the result of the refresh rate.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
So a re design is a small update? Get a iPad pro you want 120hz that's where it's useful not on a 6" screen lol.

How about Apple delivering flagship specs on a flagship phone. It was a disappointing update.

And a redesign? They took the design from their older iPhone. Guess that is the best they could do with Ive gone, take one of his older iPhone 5 designs.

Reactions: MarkX

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Nice to see all the “like the 12PM” entries!
For me ...
Hits:
Flat sides - ergonomics
Misses:
2.5 camera (lower grade then 2.0 in 11PM)
iOS14

Still, I like it even if it not my main driver.

What is a 2.5 camera please and what downsides do you have as a result in your photos?

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
At times I get a display stutter - nothing mindblowing or stopping me from using it, however I suspect it is directly the result of the refresh rate.

If you’d realise the difference in hardware you’d likely see it all the time.

A stuttering in the UI sounds more like a buggy piece of software, like most intermittent issues on computers.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I almost got the silver but A. I would have had to wait two more weeks and B. mix it up as my XS Max was white/silver.

120hz would be nice. Next upgrade.

PS: What do you all need 512gb for? No cloud?
I ordered the 256GB because the 128GB was backordered until February or March. I did not want to wait considering the 256GB was in stock.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
What is a 2.5 camera please and what downsides do you have as a result in your photos?

If you look at the cameras used in each, for the 2.0 zoom vs 2.5 zoom, the sensor / lense setup on the 12 I am finding requires longer exposure in low light. If you are mounted that is okay but hurts for free hand.

I am also finding that the color rendering that the 12 ProMax gives a strange color rendering. Example I was taking some shots in the evening with the fireplace/fire as back lighting. The orange tones given off by the fire the 12 PM was “correcting. I suspect that is the software vs hardware. This color shift also is evident in ProRAW. See below.
73D9EB0D-C0BD-4937-8A9B-5083487A29E1.jpeg FAFBDD0C-ABB3-4CED-A377-441C4789A8AC.jpeg

What one benefit I do see in the 12, is near object exposure like faces. I suspect that is more from the sensor than anything else.

I use 4 different apps to take photos (no videos) and have been comparing the output of each. If I am seeing the same “fault” across all four I am figuring the issue lies in the hardware. Could be wrong.

Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah for sure I think I made a mistake with getting 256GB

220GB left as I have optimised storage on

With iCloud 128GB is more than enough I feel

It probably is in a lot of cases, but only the user knows - if you start enjoying shooting 4k movies on your iPhone - you’d enjoy 512 GB in no time.

That’s at least what happened to me this past year.

Reactions: Mafioso

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It probably is in a lot of cases, but only the user knows - if you start enjoying shooting 4k movies on your iPhone - you’d enjoy 512 GB in no time.

I’ve been shooting a fair amount of 4K video and it’s still not making much difference with my storage makes me think my iCloud storage is being used for video lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.