Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I liked everything about the 12 pro max except the size and weigh when out and about. I really enjoyed everything else (battery, screen size, camera, etc.). However with my active lifestyle and after a while the novelty of the big screen / body wore off (especially with a case that actually protects) I decided return for the 12 pro.

I went back and fourth watching YT comparison videos and reading up on here to see what I ultimately wanted. I am coming from an X so the slight increase in screen size, and everything else was enough for me.

If I decide down the road I should have went max, I can always upgrade when the time comes. Glad you are enjoying the max though. I think ideally a wider (max wide) yet shorter iPhone (6.1 height) would have been the sweet spot for me.
I agree that a slightly wider screen would be preferable.

Plett

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2016
I’ve had my 12 Pro Max since launch and I still feel such a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction each time I pick it up and use it. It’s just such a joy to use, it feels so nice and comfortable to hold, the camera(s) are incredible, all my friends are commenting on how good my photos are since I got it. I literally don’t have a single complaint about it. It looks and feels and works like such a premium and luxury product.

I think this is my favourite Apple device and phone upgrade ever.

I know this post is kinda pointless but I feel like every time I come on here all I see is people criticising and moaning about stuff so I just wanted to post about how pleased I am with my phone.
Agreed! Loving it!

Reactions: artfossil

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
„Just“ upgraded from 11 to standard 12 but feeling the same! Absolutely love my 12, love the OLED screen, loooove (!!) the new feel of it, the sharp edges! Never really was a fan of the rounded design since the 6. I always preferred the 4/5/SE shape and now enjoying it as much as I did with my 5s back in the days. :D
I never liked the rounded design. It made it harder to hold. The iPhone mini reminds me of the 4s I had. It is much nicer to hold and I don't feel as if I am about to drop my phone like I did with the rounded design.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I never liked the rounded design. It made it harder to hold. The iPhone mini reminds me of the 4s I had. It is much nicer to hold and I don't feel as if I am about to drop my phone like I did with the rounded design.
The 4 looks like a very young sibling of the 12 Pro Max. :)

Attachments

• tempImagetb3aud.png
    tempImagetb3aud.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 84

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
I saw the pro in person for the first time at work the other day. It is a great looking phone but, way too big for my day to day liking.

I wonder how much the revised design is a factor in sales.
The 12 Pro Max feels much better in my hands than the 11 Pro Max and it still fits in my pocket. My best guess is that larger screens are popular with middle-aged eyes. :)

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
The 12 Pro Max feels much better in my hands than the 11 Pro Max and it still fits in my pocket. My best guess is that larger screens are popular with middle-aged eyes. :)
Yeah, I upgraded to a 12 Pro Max from the 6s Plus. Even though the 6s Plus was big for its time, my eyes are failing (old-aged eyes) and the 12 Pro Max solves the problems I was having seeing the 6s Plus screen.

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
@AXone1814 glad you are enjoying your new phone, that's awesome! Also agree with others who've noted that it's good to read positive posts on the forum. The 8+ was the best iPhone I have ever owned and still an incredibly powerful device. There are many things I enjoy about it, but alas it has been retired in favor of the 12 Pro Max. I'm not ready to call it the best iPhone I have ever owned just yet because it's still so fresh, but I am loving it so far. It was worth waiting on the sidelines for a few years to see significant improvements in technology. Glad you and the others are enjoying the new devices also!

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Don’t mind not having 120 Mz refresh. That’s going to suck up battery and that’s one of the selling points for me. Will probably be in next iPhones.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
is the Pro Max faster in general than the Pro? I thought specs were similar, but Max seems much faster to me...
My iPhone 12 is faster than the 8 Plus I came from, but we are taking tenths of a second. I was shocked how fast the 8 Plus still was when I got my 12. I think we’d expect new phones to be quicker with tasks but is it massively noticeable overall?

Reactions: staggerlee41

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I received a Gold 128GB iPhone 12 Pro Max a few days ago. It is a stunning looking phone. I don't find the 12 Pro Max too heavy or too big having coming from a iPhone 6S+. The fit and finish on the phone I received is impeccable. I have read posts from people about uneven gaps around the frame where the glass meets the frame. On the phone I received, there is no such gap that I can observe. The display has no observed yellow tinting issue that I can observe. In short, I am loving the looks and feel of this phone.

I have a Silver 256GB iPhone 12 Pro Max coming. I had, for a short period of time, a Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro Max. This might seem strange to hear but the Pacific Blue was too much of the same blue. The reason I really like the Gold and Silver finishes, is the difference in color on the back and sides, which was not the case with the Pacific Blue.

Last edited:

ginhb

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2018
@AXone1814 ... The 8+ was the best iPhone I have ever owned and still an incredibly powerful device. There are many things I enjoy about it, but alas it has been retired in favor of the 12 Pro Max. ...

That's my path also, replaced my 8+ with the 12 Pro Max a couple weeks ago. Physically it's not much bigger but it's a little heavier with slightly more bulk. So far it still fits in all the pockets I want to carry it in. I wasn't sure I'd like the larger camera module on the back but the camera performance and a third lens is a major reason I upgraded. Got used to it pretty quickly though.

So far so good. I went with Apple's silicone case because I like minimalist style cases. It's not cheap but I like it.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
I didn't plan on upgrading from my XS Max, but I have to admit the build quality feels as good if not better and the extra .2” is noticeable in daily use (I wish they’d gone 6.9” though!). That camera bump though... it’s huge!

Reactions: dk001

GomerBoy

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
That's my path also, replaced my 8+ with the 12 Pro Max a couple weeks ago. Physically it's not much bigger but it's a little heavier with slightly more bulk. So far it still fits in all the pockets I want to carry it in. I wasn't sure I'd like the larger camera module on the back but the camera performance and a third lens is a major reason I upgraded. Got used to it pretty quickly though.

So far so good. I went with Apple's silicone case because I like minimalist style cases. It's not cheap but I like it.
The Apple silicone case is expense, but I love it so much! My favorite case on any smartphone I had! Feels so nice and grippy and doesn’t add much bulk to the phone. The only thing is that I wish it wasn’t such a lint magnet...

Reactions: cashville2400

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I received a Gold 128GB iPhone 12 Pro Max a few days ago. It is a stunning looking phone. I don't find the 12 Pro Max too heavy or too big having coming from a iPhone 6S+. The fit and finish on the phone I received is impeccable. I have read posts from people about uneven gaps around the frame where the glass meets the frame. On the phone I received, there is no such gap that I can observe. The display has no observed yellow tinting issue that I can observe. In short, I am loving the looks and feel of this phone.

I have a Silver 256GB iPhone 12 Pro Max coming. I had, for a short period of time, a Pacific Blue iPhone 12 Pro Max. This might seem strange to hear but the Pacific Blue was too much of the same blue. The reason I really like the Gold and Silver finishes, is the difference in color on the back and sides, which was not the case with the Pacific Blue.
Why did you order so many 12 Pro Max’s?

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
The Apple silicone case is expense, but I love it so much! My favorite case on any smartphone I had! Feels so nice and grippy and doesn’t add much bulk to the phone. The only thing is that I wish it wasn’t such a lint magnet...

I really like Apple's silicone case as well as their leather. Leaned towards the silicone as my absolute favorite. Until I tried the Caudabe Sheath. It will tick all of those boxes you mentioned above.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I really like Apple's silicone case as well as their leather. Leaned towards the silicone as my absolute favorite. Until I tried the Caudabe Sheath. It will tick all of those boxes you mentioned above.
Silicone is more comfortable and durable IMO having owned both throughout the years. Both seem improved on the 12 series.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Haven’t tried silicon in a while. Didn’t like it when I did because it was difficult to take out of pocket and collected lint and grit. Is that still the situation with these cases?

Reactions: Mafioso
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.