Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
At this point a wide variety of people are actually experiencing this type of stuff. One YouTube review I watched, the guy stated he received one with a massive scratch on the front of the screen. Interesting stuff. But that is not a photo of my current phone. It's one of a previous exchange. Those are 2 different phones there. 1 with the dust and lens scratch, and 1 with the metal discoloration / machining error and the chips.
A wide variety of people perhaps, as is basically the case with pretty much any mass produced product. A vast majority, or even a majority, that's quite a bit different.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
That didn't happen.

I re-read your post (I first came across this thread a while back) and see that it wasn't 16 Apple Store trips for the 16 phones. Still though... I think I'd have given up and moved on to another model or manufacturer before even 8 phones I'm glad you're happy with your current phone.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I re-read your post (I first came across this thread a while back) and see that it wasn't 16 Apple Store trips for the 16 phones. Still though... I think I'd have given up and moved on to another model or manufacturer before even 8 phones I'm glad you're happy with your current phone.
Thank you :)

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I'm going to bump this.

Bought a silver Xs on Saturday, I ended up returning it. Under the right light I noticed it had two spots on the back glass that looked like water/chemical etching, and they would not come off at all. Also, noticed a yellow halo/tinge around the entire screen on a bright white page that I initially didn't see. Returned.

Device two has a better screen and initially seemed perfect, but under that same bright light I noticed a spot that looked like chemical residue and another spot that was clearly a chemical run on the glass back. Again, wouldn't come off, seems it may be under the glass? Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it (perfect otherwise and yes, it is hard to see the drips in the glass unless you're looking for it in the right light), but this is also a purchase I don't need to make and if Apple is going to ask a grand, I feel justified expecting something without obvious flaws.

Undecided. Keep it, exchange it once more (that would be the last try), or just return and go back to my 8.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I'm going to bump this.

Bought a silver Xs on Saturday, I ended up returning it. Under the right light I noticed it had two spots on the back glass that looked like water/chemical etching, and they would not come off at all. Also, noticed a yellow halo/tinge around the entire screen on a bright white page that I initially didn't see. Returned.

Device two has a better screen and initially seemed perfect, but under that same bright light I noticed a spot that looked like chemical residue and another spot that was clearly a chemical run on the glass back. Again, wouldn't come off, seems it may be under the glass? Haven't decided if I'm going to keep it (perfect otherwise and yes, it is hard to see the drips in the glass unless you're looking for it in the right light), but this is also a purchase I don't need to make and if Apple is going to ask a grand, I feel justified expecting something without obvious flaws.

Undecided. Keep it, exchange it once more (that would be the last try), or just return and go back to my 8.

If it's going to be one of those things that you can never un-see and will drive you crazy, then return it (or use a case to cover it). Only you can answer the can-you-live-with-it question. Having said that, I don't see a similar flaw in the back of my gold XS Max. Probably worth a trip back to the shop and look very carefully there at a possible new unit.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
If it's going to be one of those things that you can never un-see and will drive you crazy, then return it (or use a case to cover it). Only you can answer the can-you-live-with-it question. Having said that, I don't see a similar flaw in the back of my gold XS Max. Probably worth a trip back to the shop and look very carefully there at a possible new unit.

Yeah, it's one of those things where in my head it's way worse than it is in reality; I inspected this one close upon receiving after the last experience and didn't see it at first and only saw it later, again in the right light and right angle. Nonetheless, it's there. Would be nice if I could determine it to be a stain on the outside of the glass, but I just don't think it is.

I've often wondered if the glass backs have the oleophobic coating on them like the screen or if they are pure/plain glass.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm going to bump this.

If you decide to return the second device, and the third device proves to have the same issue, then I agree you should just revert back your iPhone 8. And maybe just wait to see what the 2019 iPhone will bring this September. I know you’re very particular about your products, as am I, and I expect perfection, even though it doesn’t really exist sometimes in a mass produced product. But nonetheless, Apple didn’t intend for you to find these defects, and being that you did, then there has to be a device that doesn’t have the spots.

Reactions: Ta0jin

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I'm going to bump this.

You do know what the word obvious means, correct? This post kind of indicates that you do not and I tend to think you'll find an 'obvious' flaw in your next one if you try hard enough.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I tend to think you'll find an 'obvious' flaw in your next one.

Why does it matter? Did you pay for the OP’s phone? All that matters is they noticed the flaw, some are more observant over others, Obviously it’s an anomaly, but being they paid for something and found the spots, it’s their prerogative what the OP decides to look for defects or not.

Reactions: Ta0jin and puma1552

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Why does it matter? Did you pay for the OP’s phone? All that matters is they noticed the flaw, some are more observant over others, Obviously it’s an anomaly, but being they paid for something and found the spots, it’s their prerogative what the OP decides to look for defects or not.

No, why does it matter to you what I said? It's just the truth.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
No, why does it matter to you what I said? It's just the truth.

The reality is, this is the normal lighting above my desk, where I spend lots of time. It's just that this light is particularly harsh, and will show anything and everything, so it's bound to be seen, looking for it or not.

Reactions: PumpkingKing

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I am mainly looking for anyone who might have noticed the same issues I have.

nope. and I asked around my friends and no one else had had this kind of issue

EDIT 2: For those of you who can't fathom that the apple store was on board with my iPhone comments,

oh lots of retail places put up with this kind of OCD game from customers. and often for a while before they finally say no to you. I imagine in australia they feel compelled to go a tad longer than normal cause you might try to scream "consumer law" and tie them up with court nonsense.

Reactions: nouveau_redneck

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Thank you :)

I read the whole post, and I gave up after 3 XsMax phones for 3 reasons. Even though Sprint had Gifted me a Free XsMaX and I was paying $64 a Month Unlimited Plan.
The XsMax is so bad I opted to pay $20 a Month for a Note 9 and an extra $30 a Month Plan wise. Just to avoid the XsMAX

#1. It fails at being a phone. (My Note 9 is a better phone period. Better antenna and reception)
#2. No Data, in Places my S8+ had Data LTE acess the XsMAX just doesn’t
#3. No Haptic Feedback when Texting. I text a lot. And my Note 9 gives you physical and audio feedback when typing. The XsMAX simply give you no audio or physical feedback. It CAN but Apple doesn’t want you to have this feature.
I even overlooked Haptic feedback, and accepted Audio clicks only. But they are so Weak and Muted even at full volume you can’t hear your text clicks.

And that’s how giving up a XsMAX which is the worst iPhone I’ve ever used. Cost me an Extra $50 a month.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Well. That depends what you find acceptable. Clearly this guy would never be satisfied. I’ve had my Tesla for 6 months and love it. :)

I'm sorry I did a couple exchanges.

Getting a good one the third time that has quality control worthy of a $1k device sure showed me! I sure am a fool to exchange a device clearly sloppily assembled for one that is built correctly, how dare I hold Apple accountable to deliver a product without defects! I sure regret exchanging and getting a good one!

/s

Get over yourself. :rolleyes:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well. That depends what you find acceptable. Clearly this guy would never be satisfied. I’ve had my Tesla for 6 months and love it. :)

Cars are just like tech, they also have problems, defects and issues that need to be addressed. If you want to use your example as you did with your Tesla, I could make the counter argument _some_Tesla’s have had horrible reviews in terms of reliability and it’s not really all that uncommon to hear the negativity about Teslas quality control issues. So what’s my point? Some owners of products, no matter what they are, rather it be cars or tech, will find defects that maybe others won’t notice, what someone else will overlook that might be a defect, someone else may not accept because of what they paid for something that should not have been there in the first place.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
I'm going to bump this.

Thanks for your post about your experience Puma, I appreciate it. It is what this thread is meant for :) I'm glad you finally got a good one, for you third time was the charm! Very happy it turned out well in the end. Shouldn't have to go through 3 though, very disappointing.

Reactions: puma1552

jakeenzo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
OP is the kind of guy who would win a $1million lottery and turn it down because it wasn't $20million

tr1ad

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2017
Trinidad & Tobago
Thanks for your post about your experience Puma, I appreciate it. It is what this thread is meant for :) I'm glad you finally got a good one, for you third time was the charm! Very happy it turned out well in the end. Shouldn't have to go through 3 though, very disappointing.

What happened in the end though? Curious .... Not sure if I missed it through all the other posts waddling around in your thread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.