Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Hey all, OP here. Man you guys are really haters around here. It was a mistake posting in such a scrutinizing community. It’s great that there are a lot of answers here for most things, but god forbid you post about anything out of the ordinary. If this set you all off, I’d hate to see how you’d all react to someone posting about alien abduction or something...(I’m sure now one of you will say you’d believe abduction over my story, because most of you are children. Know you’re not very nice people. The main reason I haven’t been on here in so long is because of your disappointing behavior. You should be ashamed of yourselves.)

Anyway, for those of you who actually have problems similar to myself and are interested in the outcome...

I believe since I posted last, I had been going through the online store and swapped to a Max instead of the smaller one. I believe I exchanged through the online store once or twice more, over a period of 4 weeks, because as I said it’s not in my interest to put any business out of pocket, so as to reduce my turnover of phones. Obviously I need a phone and this is the only one I have, and the main reason I swapped so many before early on is because, to be honest, it’s worth a lot of money, and having a phone you’re returning is a bit of a burden, worrying to keep it in perfect condition for acceptable return.

Anyway, since then it had been I believe 2 over a 4 week span, and the last one I received was near perfect, and that is the one I have now. It still isn’t up to par with what apple stands for in their products, but it was the best one considering how bad they have been.

This one has an almost completely smooth back bezel, which was one of my main issues. Instead it has a slightly rougher front (screen) bezel, but I figure I don’t touch that area much so it’s not as big a deal. Yes, if I get my face too close to it and move it around it will catch and rip my facial hair out, but I just try not to get too close. Other than that, no gaps or dust in bezels, no dust in any camera, no speaker issues, nothing.

So basically ended up finally getting a decent one from the online store. Plus it was way easier than having to go to the store every time. Apple coming to you is a much better option.

Delivery here in Australia (gold coast, can’t speak for regional areas) is next day from apple if you order (or organize your return) before 1pm.

I hope that helps anyone who wants to try their luck with an exchange or return. During my exchange I requested them to wait longer for my return so I could hopefully receive a different batch of phones. Unfortunately for anyone who does want one of these new phones, they aren’t doing so well sales-wise, so getting a fresh batch is kinda hard. But good luck to anyone out there facing issues like mine, I wish you all the best! :)
[doublepost=1550023324][/doublepost]Oh and just a follow up, my latter exchanges I encountered issues I hadn’t encountered before. Had discolored / burnt / poorly machined steel frame, a couple chips out of the steel frame itself, and a scratch on the back telephoto camera lens.

Here’s some images of those. (They’re edited to make a bit easier to spot because some are hard to photograph)

0FCCF7E8-EA7C-49E0-AE2F-5C79B7EDDDB6.jpeg
Smaller circle is dust. Larger is scratch.

98F73F43-A745-4B8E-8226-32BD105F6009.jpeg
Chips out of steel

465A88BC-2FD3-4471-9F8A-6D4E1588BE7A.jpeg
Steel machining anomaly 1
87B1073D-B46A-4BCC-8135-017679C0F768.jpeg
Steel machining anomaly 2

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
All this for a device that you will end up scratching at some point in the near future. Ugh. Why even have such a device?

Reactions: Totemsflare

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
I believe that acceptance is more satisfying than the pursuit of perfection. I just can't wrap my head around 16. At some point, just go with it.

a-m-k

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
PumpkingKing, you didn't answer the question I had. Granted, it might be different for you because you don't live in the states, and please tell us if it is way the Apple store operates in Australia, but weren't you allowed to look over your phone when you bought it from the Apple store? (I'm talking about all the phones in your possession before you finally were happy with your current phone.)

Reactions: Minimalist00

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
My devices don’t scratch because I don’t allow it. Why would you allow your phone to be scratched?

Who wants the same boring device as everybody else?

Anyway if you actually use your phone and don't just look at it and polish it, of course it's going to get wear and tear, just like anything.

By all means keep it pristine for the next person though.

bhDqjTH.jpg

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
PumpkingKing, you didn't answer the question I had. Granted, it might be different for you because you don't live in the states, and please tell us if it is way the Apple store operates in Australia, but weren't you allowed to look over your phone when you bought it from the Apple store? (I'm talking about all the phones in your possession before you finally were happy with your current phone.)
Oh, my apologies. Yes, I was able to look them over, and you are able to do that. I think it was about 3 or 4 before I decided to do that when I noticed something was wrong with the QC.

Note: Some problems manifested themselves after a short period of use, I.e. mushy buttons.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

Anyway if you actually use your phone and don't just look at it and polish it, of course it's going to get wear and tear, just like anything.

bhDqjTH.jpg

you got a Dark Knight SE

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

bhDqjTH.jpg
Wow!! That looks incredible! How does one go about wearing the center of the back to that extreme?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Wow!! That looks incredible! How does one go about wearing the center of the back to that extreme?

If you look closely at the picture, or enlarge it on a larger display, it’s completely scratched in that area. Almost looks like it was intentionally scuffed/buffed on purpose in that specific area.

Hater

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland

If you look closely at the picture, or enlarge it on a larger display, it’s completely scratched in that area. Almost looks like it was intentionally scuffed/buffed on purpose in that specific area.

yep it was done intentionally. kind of the same level of dumbness as the OP, but hell it's my phone i'll do what I want...

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Well looking at the photos, I don't see the dust, but I do see the holes in the metal, which shouldn't be there on a device of that price. I don't think everyone is experiencing that though, so I think it may be that batch or production line. I'm not sure I would bother exchanging any more though. At this point I would make the decision whether to keep and maybe try for a later exchange hoping for a different batch, or just return and try some other phone.

PumpkingKing

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2018
QLD, Australia
Well looking at the photos, I don't see the dust, but I do see the holes in the metal, which shouldn't be there on a device of that price. I don't think everyone is experiencing that though, so I think it may be that batch or production line. I'm not sure I would bother exchanging any more though. At this point I would make the decision whether to keep and maybe try for a later exchange hoping for a different batch, or just return and try some other phone.
At this point a wide variety of people are actually experiencing this type of stuff. One YouTube review I watched, the guy stated he received one with a massive scratch on the front of the screen. Interesting stuff. But that is not a photo of my current phone. It's one of a previous exchange. Those are 2 different phones there. 1 with the dust and lens scratch, and 1 with the metal discoloration / machining error and the chips.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I honestly wouldn't have the energy to set up and exchange a phone 16 times. I'd have just returned it/exchanged it for a different phone long before I reached phone #16.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hey all, OP here. Man you guys are really haters around here. It was a mistake posting in such a scrutinizing community. It’s great that there are a lot of answers here for most things, but god forbid you post about anything out of the ordinary. If this set you all off, I’d hate to see how you’d all react to someone posting about alien abduction or something...(I’m sure now one of you will say you’d believe abduction over my story, because most of you are children. Know you’re not very nice people. The main reason I haven’t been on here in so long is because of your disappointing behavior. You should be ashamed of yourselves.)

Anyway, for those of you who actually have problems similar to myself and are interested in the outcome...

I believe since I posted last, I had been going through the online store and swapped to a Max instead of the smaller one. I believe I exchanged through the online store once or twice more, over a period of 4 weeks, because as I said it’s not in my interest to put any business out of pocket, so as to reduce my turnover of phones. Obviously I need a phone and this is the only one I have, and the main reason I swapped so many before early on is because, to be honest, it’s worth a lot of money, and having a phone you’re returning is a bit of a burden, worrying to keep it in perfect condition for acceptable return.

Anyway, since then it had been I believe 2 over a 4 week span, and the last one I received was near perfect, and that is the one I have now. It still isn’t up to par with what apple stands for in their products, but it was the best one considering how bad they have been.

This one has an almost completely smooth back bezel, which was one of my main issues. Instead it has a slightly rougher front (screen) bezel, but I figure I don’t touch that area much so it’s not as big a deal. Yes, if I get my face too close to it and move it around it will catch and rip my facial hair out, but I just try not to get too close. Other than that, no gaps or dust in bezels, no dust in any camera, no speaker issues, nothing.

So basically ended up finally getting a decent one from the online store. Plus it was way easier than having to go to the store every time. Apple coming to you is a much better option.

Delivery here in Australia (gold coast, can’t speak for regional areas) is next day from apple if you order (or organize your return) before 1pm.

I hope that helps anyone who wants to try their luck with an exchange or return. During my exchange I requested them to wait longer for my return so I could hopefully receive a different batch of phones. Unfortunately for anyone who does want one of these new phones, they aren’t doing so well sales-wise, so getting a fresh batch is kinda hard. But good luck to anyone out there facing issues like mine, I wish you all the best! :)
[doublepost=1550023324][/doublepost]Oh and just a follow up, my latter exchanges I encountered issues I hadn’t encountered before. Had discolored / burnt / poorly machined steel frame, a couple chips out of the steel frame itself, and a scratch on the back telephoto camera lens.

Here’s some images of those. (They’re edited to make a bit easier to spot because some are hard to photograph)

View attachment 821559
Smaller circle is dust. Larger is scratch.

View attachment 821560
Chips out of steel

View attachment 821561
Steel machining anomaly 1
View attachment 821562
Steel machining anomaly 2
I would have ditched the iPhone after number 4. Get a different device. Sorry but going through 16 is either A) extremely unlucky or B) you are looking for problems.

Get a different phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.